Unt Names New Assistant

Harry

The stat of yards given up can be very misleading - too many variables to make an apples to apples comparison (scheme, opponents, yards per carry, yards per attempt etc.).

What I do like seeing from him is experience as a KR/PR. He should be able to help with some of the basics that were missing last year (not letting a ball hit the ground, not fielding a ball inside your own 10 on punts etc.).

What I'm interested in seeing is the techinques he will teach, to run the DeLoach schemes that should put us in position to make plays.

You are assuming that DeLoach had a big input in it.

I think that may be a pretty fair assumption. TD did bring DeLoach in to handle his defense and he was on-board well before the decision was made. Would be difficult be beleive that DeLoach didn't have a major say in the decision to hire him.

Edited by MeanGreen61

For comparison, last season we ranked 95th against the pass. NMSU ranked 105th.

http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/natlRank.jsp?ye...ef&site=org

I'm not saying, I'm just saying.

New Mexico State played against 6 teams that average over 200 yards a game, including Hawaii and Boise State, who had a lot more passing yards than our opponents. Plus, a 7th opponent (Idaho) averaged just under 200 a game.

Stats can be misleading.

I think that may be a pretty fair assumption. TD did bring DeLoach in to handle his defense and he was on-board well before the decision was made. Would be difficult be beleive that DeLoach didn't have a major say in the decision to hire him.

I can rest with pretty much anyone Dodge decides to bring in with DeLoach at the helm of the Defense.

I, too, was hoping that Ramone would get a shot. This guy is unknown to us, chemistry-wise, but his credentials look strong to me. IMO this will turn out to be a great hire for UNT.

I'm lovin' this! The good news just keeps coming!

I think Carlton Buckels will be a good coach for UNT; he certainly has some interesting credentials. I would have to agree with the "statistics can be deceiving" comment; when you've coached a safety who's getting impressive numbers of tackles, that's doesn't usually speak well for the rest of the defense. His background at LSU, the years of coaching at different levels, and the experience with special teams sounds good. By the way, the DC he worked under at New Mexico State, Woody Widenhofer (retired this last December), was the defensive coordinator for the Steelers during the last two seasons of the "Steel Curtain" years. That's kind of an interesting, if indirect, North Texas connection.

Guest GrayEagleOne

When did nmstu ever play any defense??

When Samuels coached them. It's for dang sure Hal Mumme is only concerned with offense and that's his recruiting priority. I don't know who the DC was for Mumme but he shares the most blame for bad numbers. Then again, they don't try to recruit the hosses that they need to be competitive in a passing league.

Like the rest of you I would have liked to see Ramone Archie get the job but I have to admit that the new CB coach does have some experience as a coach and as a player.

Buckels was a player at LSU while Rick Villareal was coaching there. I wonder what role RV played in influencing this hire? At any rate, from what I hear this guy was brought on board to carry a heavy portion of the recruiting load. He has a lot of recruiting experience, but no ties to Texas. His concentration was in Mississippi and Louisiana. Dodge has the Texas high school coaches wrapped around his finger so it seems smart to bring on someone else who can reel 'em in from outside the Lone Star State.

Edited by MG Insurance Pro

I think that may be a pretty fair assumption. TD did bring DeLoach in to handle his defense and he was on-board well before the decision was ANNOUNCED.

Fixed that for ya.

Not saying I know anything, just saying (from extensive recent experience) that decisions and announcements are often separated by weeks. Or months. Oftentimes, there are some blatant lies along the way.