Unt Names New Assistant

Harry

Guest 97and03

Buckels was a player at LSU while Rick Villareal was coaching there. I wonder what role RV played in influencing this hire? At any rate, from what I hear this guy was brought on board to carry a heavy portion of the recruiting load. He has a lot of recruiting experience, but no ties to Texas. His concentration was in Mississippi and Louisiana. Dodge has the Texas high school coaches wrapped around his finger so it seems smart to bring on someone else who can reel 'em in from outside the Lone Star State.

I think this might be an important point. We certainly can't argue with the out of state players (JUCO) that were brought in this year. Some of our best recruits. I have no problem with bringing in top prep players from out of state also.

Guest GrayEagleOne

I think this might be an important point. We certainly can't argue with the out of state players (JUCO) that were brought in this year. Some of our best recruits. I have no problem with bringing in top prep players from out of state also.

Neither do I but may we not have crowded that a little bit? I thought that Gandy did an incredible job getting us the two Mississippi JUCOs and almost getting an even higher rated player who went to K-State on the last day.

Speaking of K-State, will they be a very cohesive group by the opener with us considering the massive number of JUCOs that they recruited this year?

Edited by GrayEagleOne

Guest 97and03

Neither do I but may we not have crowded that a little bit? I thought that Gandy did an incredible job getting us the two Mississippi JUCOs and almost getting an even higher rated player who went to K-State on the last day.

Can you ever recruit too much? Besides this guy adds connections in Lousianna and presumably New Mexico.

Buckels was a player at LSU while Rick Villareal was coaching there. I wonder what role RV played in influencing this hire? At any rate, from what I hear this guy was brought on board to carry a heavy portion of the recruiting load. He has a lot of recruiting experience, but no ties to Texas. His concentration was in Mississippi and Louisiana. Dodge has the Texas high school coaches wrapped around his finger so it seems smart to bring on someone else who can reel 'em in from outside the Lone Star State.

DRC article sez he recruited Dallas & Houston for NMSU. Will recruit Dallas and Central Texas for TD.

http://www.dentonrc.com/sharedcontent/dws/...8.9ea22822.html

Speaking of K-State, will they be a very cohesive group by the opener with us considering the massive number of JUCOs that they recruited this year?

We may be in the same boat with possibly two new JUCO's on the OL, one on the DL and 2 or 3 in the secondary.

For those that may know, quick question, is there any financial or operations burden for UNT to sign an out-of state player? Is the out of state tuition andy kind of a negative for us?

I will go with a quote I've heard here before, "I'll take a 2 star Texas player over a 3 star out of state player any time!"