Adrian Awasom Embarrasses Unt

MeanGreenZen

I disagree. He is one of the few players who represent UNT in the NFL. He represents our university as an alumni. Good thing we have guys like Brian Waters to make up for this embarrassment. Shame on you Adrian Awasom.

He has a back injury it could be other things like a combination of medicines, give him a break!!!!!!!!

At least until he is convicted of something.

Do you defend rapists and murderers, too? How would you feel if an "under the influence" driver killed someone you loved?

When you grow up and realize that in the United States you are innocent until proven guilty, then maybe we can talk about what an idiotic comparison you just made.

When you grow up and realize that in the United States you are innocent until proven guilty, then maybe we can talk about what an idiotic comparison you just made.

Do rapists knowingly hurt innocent people? Do murderers knowingly kill innocent people? Do "under the influence" drivers knowingly get behind the wheel of a vehicle and hurt and kill innocent people? The answer to all three questions is YES. Thus I have a valid comparison.

Edited by MG Insurance Pro

Do you defend rapists and murderers, too? How would you feel if an "under the influence" driver killed someone you loved?

---Don't know about this one but a friend of mine was thrown in jail and his picture all over the front page of the local paper as raping a student late one night. ... He didn't, he was home at the time with his family. I think she claimed he had offerd her a ride home which was not not true at all. The girl needed someone to blame when she got caught coming in late and had been " sexually active" and he was it. She later admitted she made it all up plus after checking they found her description of his pickup did not fit the interior of his.... wrong type of seats and some other things..

---Part II: A policeman once shot at me (actually over my head) thinking I was a burglar.... I was a night employee (also college student) that they did not know about and assumed that I did not belong there. They handcuffed me, put me in back-seat of the police car, and was driving off and carrying me to jail when they spotted another employee showing up for work and waiting at the front door for me to let them in. In today's world they would have fired him ... not much happened then (late 60's)..

---Part III: A friend of mine was driving a white Chevrolet Impala on I-20 when he was passed by another "white Chevrolet Impala, same year and model" going a very excessive speed. A highway patrolman had flipped around and was giving chase..... and then arrested my friend thinking that he was the one that had been speeding and had slowed down. He had to go to court and somehow managed to convince the judge that he wasn't the right guy.

---Those situations have really given me as new perspective on those that get arrested.. they may not really be guilty, and the situation may be odd or the policeman just nuts and wanting to arrest someone.

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

Do rapists knowingly hurt innocent people? Do murderers knowingly kill innocent people? Do "under the influence" drivers knowingly get behind the wheel of a vehicle and hurt and kill innocent people? The answer to all three questions is YES. Thus I have a valid comparison.

My God are you for real, get over yourself and grow-up.

The man is one of our own, and he was arrested on suspicion of DUI?

GIVE Adrian the benefit of the doubt!

YES that is a very idiotic comparison not worth arguing when you are completely over the top.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slu...yhoo&type=lgns

'Toughest Sheriff' ready for violators

By Dan Wetzel, Yahoo! Sports

January 31, 2008

Dan Wetzel

Yahoo! Sports

GLENDALE, Ariz. – If it comes to it, the oft-proclaimed "America's Toughest Sheriff" says he has a pair of pink underwear, a bologna sandwich and a spot in a dirty old prison tent for Tom Brady, Eli Manning or, most certainly, Paris Hilton.

Maricopa County – which includes much of metropolitan Phoenix – is host to the Super Bowl, one of the nation's most decadent party weekends where, sometimes, celebrities and even athletes find themselves on the wrong side of the law.

Around here the law means Joe Arpaio, the tough talking, tougher-ruling sheriff who would like nothing better than to make an example out of a high-profile criminal and give them the kind of treatment you might expect in what used to be the wild, wild West.

So for the football player who might get into a bar fight or the starlet who might drive drunk, consider yourself warned.

"(They'll) be treated the same as anyone," Arpaio said Wednesday. "Let the players know that. And Paris better take a limousine. Somebody better tell her that she is in Maricopa County, not Los Angeles County.

"It's a tough county to be in if you do something wrong. Especially the way I run the law enforcement."

Arpaio has been sheriff here since 1992 and runs his jail like no one else, his most famous policies generating worldwide attention. They include:

# Pink underwear: When he noticed that inmates kept stealing jail-issued underwear, he dyed them all pink in an effort to humiliate male prisoners and cut down on thefts. It worked and he even sells a line of pink underwear to raise money for the sheriff's office.

# Bologna sandwich: Rather than serve inmates three square meals a day, Arpaio decided to save money and return to the days when the term "prison food" meant something.

"We don't give them breakfast anymore or lunch, we give them brunch," he said. "They get a bologna sandwich."

Inmates have said it is beyond bad. Arpaio noted that no one has starved to death.

# Tent city: Arpaio often says he wants the most populated jail in America. He came up with a solution to overcrowding when he got a hold of some old military tents and had them erected in the parking lot outside one of the county jails.

Thousands of inmates don't stay in traditional cells. Instead, they sleep on cots under the tents (the complex is surrounded by fences) whether the temperature drops near freezing or, as is often the case in the desert, climbs into triple digits.

"We have almost 2,000 people in hot, Korean War tents."

It's enough to make a felon dream of the hole, even before Arpaio pipes in classical or patriotic music. He even put up a giant pink "Vacancy" sign outside Tent City, which now gives tours to curiosity seekers from around the globe.

"I've got room," he noted of the players and party goers. "I'll put them in my celebrity tent."

How is that not a reality show?

# Chain gang: In 1995, Arpaio brought back the male chain gang for prisoners and a year later created what he calls, "the only female chain gang in the history of the United States, if not the world."

Wednesday morning, both "Sheriff's DUI Chain Gangs" were picking road side garbage along Glendale Ave. in the shadow of University of Phoenix Stadium, which will host Super Bowl XLII. They were wearing old school black and white striped prison garb and, presumably, pink underwear.

Beside the men's chain gang was a sign reading: "Bowl Fans: Drive and Drink and You'll wear Pink." By the women's gang: "Ladies: Horizontal stripes will make you look fat! So do not drink and drive."

"We want to make the influx of people know that if you come into this county and get arrested and convicted of driving under the influence you are going to the tents and out on the chain gang."

Paris picking trash? Tom eating a bologna brunch?

"We're ready for them," he promised.

Arpaio is 73, a former DEA agent and someone who's dealt with plenty of criticism and even a recall effort for his treatment of inmates and, especially, illegal immigrants. He's controversial, but also popular, elected five times.

"I guess they like their sheriff," he said.

If nothing else, the man is colorful, which makes him perfect to try to contain the sprawling excess of a Super Bowl which features 'round the clock partying, an influx of prostitutes and huge crowds ranging from blue-collar football fans to Hollywood glitz.

While it seems unlikely Brady or Manning will suddenly step out of line, the history of football players breaking the law is fairly lengthy. If during Super Bowl week they tend to head out on the town for some fun and if they get busted this time, they'll be no quick bail or leniency.

What passes for "celebrity justice" here was when Arpaio didn't put a locked up Mike Tyson in the tents last month due to safety concerns. Not Tyson's safety, mind you, the other guys'.

"He has two dangerous weapons: his fists. And also his teeth because he did chew somebody's ear off when boxing a couple of years ago."

As for Hilton, who is in town to host and attend a number of big parties, you get a sense Arpaio wouldn't mind having her slip up.

Last year when overcrowding forced her early release from a Los Angeles County jail on a DUI conviction, he generated headlines by asking she get sent to Tent City.

"They put her on home arrest," he growled. "That would never happen with me. She'll serve every minute. She's in town and if she gets arrested in this county, she'll go to the hot tents if convicted."

She'd probably be fine with the pink underwear, though.

Dan Wetzel is Yahoo! Sports' national columnist. Send Dan a question or comment for potential use in a future column or webcast.

I am not going to call comparrisons to rape or murder, but he did do wrong.

I am surprised how so many are coming to his defense...he si definitely wrong, and we all know he will more than likely be convicted of something for this. If the Giants had enough information to give him, "the benefit of the doubt," they wouldn't be sending him home.

Have most of us been in his shoes, yes, but none the less he did the wrong thing and got caught.

Lets not come to his defense like he is some heralded saint, but lets not go off the deep end over it either by comparring him to a rapist and murderer.

Embarrassment to UNT? Sure, I am a little embarrassed.

Am I going to cese to pull for him? No

Is he likely done with the Giants? Yes. I thought so after the injury, but with this he has sealed his fait.

Lets not go too far on one side or the other here.

So I'm confussed...Adrian Awasome is a rapist?

Goodness...I had a specific route mapped out for when leaving Fry Street that I knew would avoid the police after a night of Jameson and blasters. I'll set the over under at 85% of this board has driven drunk...and the over under at 25% have a DWI...anyone want to take the under on that?

Comparing a DUI to a rape or murder is just stupid...you can kill someone with your car sober too...maybe Adrian just shouldnt drive

Edited by Censored by Laurie

---Don't know about this one but a friend of mine was thrown in jail and his picture all over the front page of the local paper as raping a student late one night. ... He didn't, he was home at the time with his family. I think she claimed he had offerd her a ride home which was not not true at all. The girl needed someone to blame when she got caught coming in late and had been " sexually active" and he was it. She later admitted she made it all up plus after checking they found her description of his pickup did not fit the interior of his.... wrong type of seats and some other things..

---Part II: A policeman once shot at me (actually over my head) thinking I was a burglar.... I was a night employee (also college student) that they did not know about and assumed that I did not belong there. They handcuffed me, put me in back-seat of the police car, and was driving off and carrying me to jail when they spotted another employee showing up for work and waiting at the front door for me to let them in. In today's world they would have fired him ... not much happened then (late 60's)..

---Part III: A friend of mine was driving a white Chevrolet Impala on I-20 when he was passed by another "white Chevrolet Impala, same year and model" going a very excessive speed. A highway patrolman had flipped around and was giving chase..... and then arrested my friend thinking that he was the one that had been speeding and had slowed down. He had to go to court and somehow managed to convince the judge that he wasn't the right guy.

---Those situations have really given me as new perspective on those that get arrested.. they may not really be guilty, and the situation may be odd or the policeman just nuts and wanting to arrest someone.

Emmitt, care to jump in here??

Emmitt, care to jump in here??

In the first one... the police probably did the right thing to start with but they did not even check his pickup out for 3-4 days after having a description of the "crime scene" It would have shown her story was very questionable. .. The Newpaper had him convicted and splashed it all over the newpaper on page one.

The other two were total mess-ups by the officer.

Guest JohnDenver

Driving while intoxicated is illegal and wrong. If Adrian Awasom drove while intoxicated, he deserves what punishment he gets, even if that means wearing striped jumpsuits and pink underwear.

But folks, he hasn't even been charged yet.

Also, minor note, this is not "coming to his defense..."

DUI is Driving Under Influence. Not intoxication.

He could have been on back pain meds, cold medicine, too much caffeine, weed, who knows. When he is charged, pleads and all that crap, then we shall know.

There definitely are cases of police citing people who weren't drunk.. it happens. But the other side of the coin happens more.

Anyone see that report on sleep deprivation being more dangerous than DUI? That is interesting...