There Will Be A "signing Date" Event

SUMG

Last night, at the football banquet....they mentioned that, even though it is not fully planned yet....there will be an Signing Date event put on by Athletics.

I believe they said that it would be in the evening.....and that it would be open to the public. Anyway, they said to watch the official site for more details.

Also, it's pretty neat to know that we had 17 freshmen football players, make the Academic Honor roll this past semester. Very impressive.

Also, it's pretty neat to know that we had 17 freshmen football players, make the Academic Honor roll this past semester. Very impressive.

I heard that and was very impressed. I like the quality and character of the players Todge is bringing in.

I also have confirmation that the athletic dept on signing day is going to do the real time roll in of committments just like they did last year through the meangreensports.com website.

Tha was pretty cool...it was kind of tense when it took forever to get Vizza's commit in. Made for a fun morning, and then the recruiting town hall meeting was that night at the Athletic Center. Dodge took all questions and then had a little to say about each recruit.

Kind of interested to see what he has to say when he talks about Riley.

I think everyone will agree that the biggest named recruit is Riley Dodge. But who, if any other, will have a bigger impact in 2008 and 2009?

What is more important? Getting Rodge or getting back Deloach?

08 of 09? Horton.

Overall, Franklin.

I think everyone will agree that the biggest named recruit is Riley Dodge. But who, if any other, will have a bigger impact in 2008 and 2009?

What is more important? Getting Rodge or getting back Deloach?

Easy.

There's a problem when your standing on the sidelines telling your QB, after he threw a record 7 TDs in the 1st half alone, he's gonna have to throw for a few more to "stay in the game", per se.

Which Mean Green addition (or re-addition) is going to solve that problem?

duh.

Here's a reason ... Giovanni Vizza. :blink:

GO MEAN GREEN !!!

That would be reason number one, and number two would be his shoulder surgery. Some act like Vizza is alien to this offense, yet he set records last year that he will break this year. I still don't think Riley sees the field as a QB until Vizz graduates or commits for the draft early.

I don't think people understand how difficult it is to bounce back from a shoulder injury. Knees generally have a faster recovery time than a shoulder- especially when there were major tears. I would say it's probably unrealistic for him to be back at 100% by the time fall practice starts. Not to say he won't be tossing a ball around, but rehabbing a shoulder isn't a quick, easy process.

I don't think people understand how difficult it is to bounce back from a shoulder injury. Knees generally have a faster recovery time than a shoulder- especially when there were major tears. I would say it's probably unrealistic for him to be back at 100% by the time fall practice starts. Not to say he won't be tossing a ball around, but rehabbing a shoulder isn't a quick, easy process.

Just to give yall some insight on this. I had a shoulder reconstruction done in late June. My injuries were similiar to Riley's . To this day there still isnt a day that goes by that i dont still feel some pain in that shoulder. I tried to play a little golf for the first time last week and i am still feeling the pain and soreness from that trial.

I would be willing to say that with 99.9% certainty Riley will redshirt this year. we have a QB that is more then capable of running this offense. Riley is considered small and an injury risk at this point in time as it is. There would be no reason to rush him to the field unless VIZZA were to go down early in the year and be out an extended period of time.

Edited by GreenN'walinsVet

I would be willing to say that with 99.9% certainty Riley will redshirt this year. we have a QB that is more then capable of running this offense. Riley is considered small and an injury risk at this point in time as it is. There would be no reason to rush him to the field unless VIZZA were to go down early in the year and be out an extended period of time.

If that's the case and the injury is expected to linger into the fall would it be better to gray-shirt him. I'm not exactly sure what that involves or how it affects number of years to play in college but I saw another player was being asked to do that elsewhere. I believe it basically means he signs for the Class of 2009 in Feb. 2009 and sits out fall football 2008 and saves his redshirt year?

Edited by NT80

If that's the case and the injury is expected to linger into the fall would it be better to gray-shirt him. I'm not exactly sure what that involves or how it affects number of years to play in college but I saw another player was being asked to do that elsewhere. I believe it basically means he signs for the Class of 2009 in Feb. 2009 and sits out fall football 2008 and saves his redshirt year?

I'm not sure how that would work. I'm sure they'll see where he is once he's here, make the best decision based on his progress and the future of his career at UNT (and elsewhere). Im just saying, I had a SLAP repair done (which is relatively minor compared to his injury) in late Septemeber and I still cant support my own weight with that shoulder, still doing physical therapy, and still working to get back range of motion. It's not unsual for injuries like that to take a full year to fully-heal. Wouldn't surprise me at all to see him take 08 off, to get back to 100%, get a year of school under his belt, then be ready to battle in 09. I think he will be a terrific asset on the sideline either way.