• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

From the Fort Worth Star Telegram:

UNT in market for DC

When it came down to honest evaluation, North Texas coach Todd Dodge apparently couldn't deny his defense needed a change at the top.

UNT plans to announce sometime today that defensive coordinator Ron Mendoza has been fired. UNT ranked near the bottom of most defensive categories in the Bowl Subdivision this season and experienced several late-game collapses that -- fairly or unfairly -- left Mendoza the subject of much direct criticism most of the season.

Dodge brought Mendoza and three other coaches from the high school ranks when UNT hired him a little over a year ago. The lack of defensive production despite several returning starters or experienced backups tested Dodge's loyalty to Mendoza, who faced a possible demotion to a position coach. In the end, Dodge for whatever reason felt it was better to part ways despite the difficulty in doing so.

In addition to defensive coordinator, Dodge needs a new cornerbacks coach to replace Butch LaCroix, who resigned last month to return to the sports-marketing industry.

Dodge heads to the national coaches' convention in the next few days, where he'll target some DC candidates. His days of hiring high school coaches, for now, appear over, and don't count on anyone from the current staff being promoted.

--Troy Phillips

It was a change that needed to be made. I respect Coach Dodge more now for doing it. I felt the same when RV let Dickey go, it was time based on the direction of things.

Well this is good news for the future of the program for sure. Best of luck to Mendoza, but he will land somewhere. Thanks to Dodge for giving us hope for next season.

Thank you Lord. We know you see our hearts and hear our cries. You are omnipotent, omnipresent and omniscient. Please continue to guide TD with his selections. As for Ron, please provide him a position that he will flourish in, Amen.

Good call by Coach Dodge and Rick V. in pulling the trigger already...I had heard a few weeks back that this was certain to happen, but did not know it to be 100% true. Coach Dodge has big time plans for this football program and I know he doesn't want anything to inhibit those plans (like a horrific defense).

Also, best of luck to Coach Mendoza wherever his journey stops next. Him and his family certainly have my best wishes.

Gary Deloach or Phil Bennett as associate head coach/defensive coordinator anyone?!? B)

So, for all the folks who said that Dodge didn't know what he was doing with the DC hire...what say you now? After watching and being around Coach Dodge for a year here at UNT, I am more convinced than ever that he is the REAL DEAL and knows exactly what he is doing and where he is going....and not to some other D-1 school...I hope!

Hang in there foolks, there are good things happening with the program at UNT!

I will bet this was a very tough decision for Coach Dodge...not, perhaps from a football one, but from a personal one, and we need to understand that, and realize it might have been a tough one, but it does say that Coach Dodge is willing to "do the right thing" in his pursuit of improving the w/L numbers at UNT. He will do what it takes...so, next season....buy more tickets and get even more rear ends in the seats because good things are happening at UNT!

GO MEAN GREEN....and while you arwe at it...JOIN THE EXES!

Well foolks, all we know so far is that Coach Dodge hired a guy that didn't work out, and that he can fire a person that doesn't measure up. Now, TD has to hire the right guy. I wonder if there is a bulletin board at the upcoming coach's meeting ?

And don't you kinda get a warm feeling knowing that we have a Coach that is taking corrective action, and getting on with the race. While our friends down the road can't seem to even get started.

So, for all the folks who said that Dodge didn't know what he was doing with the DC hire...what say you now? After watching and being around Coach Dodge for a year here at UNT, I am more convinced than ever that he is the REAL DEAL and knows exactly what he is doing and where he is going....and not to some other D-1 school...I hope!

I will bet this was a very tough decision for Coach Dodge...not, perhaps from a football one, but from a personal one, and we need to understand that, and realize it might have been a tough one, but it does say that Coach Dodge is willing to "do the right thing" in his pursuit of improving the w/L numbers at UNT. He will do what it takes...so, next season....buy more tickets and get even more rear ends in the seats because good things are happening at UNT!

You give him all the credit when he fires the DC but what about what lead him to hiring him in the first place? :huh:

Nobody expects perfection. He took a gamble and it didn't pay off. He is trying to correct that mistake. Gees.

I completely understand that. However reread this paragraph:

Now please tell me that didn't warrant some type of response. "DoDge is a f0oTball gOd and he knowS more than anY cOach in DIvision 1 fo0tball!1111". Yet he hired the DC and defended the guy to the very end??? I can't help but wonder how much pressure came from above Dodge's head to do this?

Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy that he's decided to look for another DC. He's proven his offense can be potent. he needs the defense to back it up.

Edited by Got5onIt

You give him all the credit when he fires the DC but what about what lead him to hiring him in the first place? :huh:

I am under the impression that it was the only viable option at the time in Coach Dodge's mind. He was so rushed after the hire that he probably felt like Mendoza was the best option at that time and would give him a year to evaluate if he was capable at that level. I do feel that of the high school hires that Todd Ford and Robert Drake are certainly capable. Ford with the Offense and QB's and Drake with the D-Line (note I did not mention special teams...think we need to re-assign that to Chuck Petersen).

Phil Bennett was mentioned earlier. I'm don't like the idea of hiring a former SMU coach. It just doesn't feel right. We've hired a former SMU coach before.

Yeah...but Bennett is actually a decent coach, a great defensive mind, and would probably love to flourish right in front of those SMU snobs.

Phil Bennett was mentioned earlier. I'm don't like the idea of hiring a former SMU coach. It just doesn't feel right. We've hired a former SMU coach before.

Makes me feel.......tainted.....or unclean when I think about it. However...........

This news tells me that GOD is indeed an Eagle.

Edited by DeepGreen

Yeah...but Bennett is actually a decent coach, a great defensive mind, and would probably love to flourish right in front of those SMU snobs.

Phil Bennett has no ill will towards SMU. He is still around town wearing his SMU shirt and his son, Sam, remains on our football team. He would be a good hire for you but I suspect he is looking at the Big 12.

Phil Bennett has no ill will towards SMU. He is still around town wearing his SMU shirt and his son, Sam, remains on our football team. He would be a good hire for you but I suspect he is looking at the Big 12.

I think it would be difficult to go from HC to DC at the same level. He may be able to land a coaching job in the Big 12 but I seriously doubt it would be HC, OC or DC.

Now I feel like taking extra people to the football banquet. Job Well done!

Duh....Of course he has no ill will against SMU. He couldn't wait to be fired. He wanted out worse than Orsini wanted to fire him. He's a happy camper now. He's got his money and he will land something when he wants to. He's not a bad coach or a bad guy, he was just at a bad place.