Thank You Defensive 2004-2006 Veteran Seniors

FirefightnRick

Blake Burrus......2004. Saw action in 11 games as a backup at defensive end and on special teams ... Registered two tackles in the season opener at Texas ... Was a key member of the field goal and point after teams.

Jeremiah Chapman....2004 Made an immediate impact as a freshman, tallying 10 tackles in 10 games of action ... Became only the third Mean Green player of the season to register a multiple sack game, recording a game-high two sacks against Idaho ... Also had six solo tackles and three tackles for loss against the Vandals.

Roderick Cotton....2004. Saw action in nine games as a backup cornerback and on special teams ... Had six tackles on the season, five of which were solo ...Recovered a crucial fumble against Louisiana-Lafayette that led to a Mean Green touchdown ... Recorded his first career tackle for loss against Colorado ... Had a two-tackle performance in the win over UL Monroe ... Made huge contributions to the kick off and punt return teams, and was once named the team’s Special Teams Player of the Week.

Raifu Durodoye....2006: Played in all 12 games and earned one start in the season finale against Louisiana-Monroe... Totaled 16 tackles for the season including one quarterback sack and 1.5 tackles for a loss... Had a season-high four tackles against Louisiana-Monroe and had his sack and tackle for a loss against Louisiana Tech... Added a forced fumble against Louisiana Tech... Also saw considerable action on special teams.

Cliff Higgs 2004...Saw action in 10 games in the secondary and on special teams, tallying 10 tackles and one tackle for loss ... Had a career-high three tackles and a tackle for loss at Colorado ... Saw extensive action on the kick return team.

Maurice Holman 2004...Had a career and game-high 10 tackles in the Wyndham New Orleans Bowl ... Sealed the win over Idaho with a fourth quarter interception and 54-yard return ... Tallied 19 tackles last season and saw action in 11 games ... Had three tackles and a tackle for loss at Colorado and followed it with a three tackle performance at Baylor the next week ... Used heavily on kick off and punt teams.

Derek Mendoza 2004...Stepped up to lead the Mean Green linebacking corps as a freshman ... Registered over 50 tackles, including an eight-tackle performance against New Mexico State ... Led his team in tackles four times ... Improved dramatically against the pass, intercepting two passes and leading the Mean Green defense in pass breakups ... Against Arkansas State, intercepted a pass in the third quarter that helped North Texas win its 25th consecutive Sun Belt Conference Game.

Brandon Monroe 2004... Making a big impression in only a short amount of time, the freshman was second on the team in tackles with 62 ... Started 10 of the team’s 11 games ... Tied with Adrian Awasom for the team lead in forced fumbles with two ... Integral part of the defense that allowed only 121.3 rushing yards per conference game ... Was named the team’s defensive player of the week for his performance against Baylor and Louisiana-Lafayette ... Had 3.5 tackles for loss on the season ... Had 11 total tackles at home against Florida Atlantic ... Led the team with eight tackles against Baylor and nine tackles and a tackle for loss against Utah State.

Montey Stevenson 2004...Opened his career with a bang with a tackle for loss against Texas ... Totaled 11 tackles and two tackles for loss ... Played in every game for the Mean Green ... Had a season-high three tackles and a tackle for loss versus Baylor ... Also had three tackles against Sun Belt foe Utah State ... His defensive unit was second in the Sun Belt in rushing yards allowed during conference games and tops in turnover ratio (+13).

Aaron Weathers 2005...Was named the Sun Belt Newcomer of the Year after recording the most tackles ever by a North Texas defensive back ... His 113 tackles in 2005 is the second most by a defensive back in the nation and ranks him second overall in the Sun Belt and 19th in the nation ... Led the team in tackles in six games ... Also earned second-team All-Sun Belt recognition ... Given the team’s Joe Greene Award for the most outstanding defensive player and the Bill Brashier Award as the team’s top defensive back ... Led the Mean Green and ranked seventh in the conference with three interceptions ... Blocked a key second-quarter field goal against Troy.

I want all 10 of you to know that your efforts these past 4 years has not been lost on me this season. Regardless of how a select few want to cheapen your time, your blood and your sweat you have spent here simply because it's a different, new time, know that I realize what you are made of and I remember your capabilities and I understand what you have been through and will never forget your efforts to put us on the map of major college football. Up until this year I was there to see you mold your skills in many of the practices and scrimmages since the time you got here in August of '04 and '05 and '06. I have enjoyed meeting most of you and I appreciate the class in which you have represented our university. I was there to see you realize the fruit of your efforts in New Orleans in '04. I was there to see you continue the conference winning streak in Murfreesboro in '05. I was one of the few there left to witness the 7th overtime last year and one of the frozen few at the game against WKY this year. Non of you have ever given up and I won't forget the memories I have of you while you were here as you now go forward with your careers.

Good luck gentleman. I look forward to seeing you at Fouts next season.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

I think you're talented beyond the results that we saw this season. I think you're all to be commended for your contributions over the years.

And I damn sure don't think any of you are cancers.

You will be missed. Best of luck in the rest of your lives. I hope you'll look back on your time at North Texas with fondness and pride.

I think you're talented beyond the results that we saw this season. I think you're all to be commended for your contributions over the years.

And I damn sure don't think any of you are cancers.

You will be missed. Best of luck in the rest of your lives. I hope you'll look back on your time at North Texas with fondness and pride.

even more scarey than Mendoza coming back next year, will be running this defense without these seniors.

Yes, I would take you bunch or "no-talent Dickey recruits" :rolleyes: on my defense anyday! I'm sorry that your 2007 coaching staff didn't know how to best utilize your many talents.

And before some of you people (that don't understand sarcasm) come on here and post questions about that comment...no, I don't want Dickey back and I don't miss Dickey...well, maybe I do miss his ability to get the most out this defense just a little. But that comment was made to those who have defended Mendoza and the rest the coaching staff by saying that Dickey "left the cupboard bare". This defense had a LOT of talent!!

GREAT POST FFR! I agree with you 100%.

These guys have been through a great deal and have accomplished so much for themselves and UNT as I stated in another thread. GREAT JOB GENTLEMENT! Welcome to the NT Exes! :)

Glad you've all been a part of our program.

Gentlemen,

Your play gave me much pleasure as a loyal alumnus and fan of the Mean Green during your careers. I couldn't say it any better than FFR, so please allow me to say "me too". Best of luck to each of you in your future endeavors and please remember where Denton is when Saturdays roll around in the fall.

And again.

Oh and by the way. For those nancy's who are too lazy to click and do their own research.

Final total defensive rank: 113th

Rick

Intersting that there are 6 teams that allowed more ypg than us, but only one that allowed more yards per play...Minnesota! Wow that's crazy!

Anyway, allowing 486 yards a game is bad, but giving up an average of 6.67 yards everytime a team snapped a ball against us is just unbelievably amazing!!!!