Plasma Tv Disappeared When Dickey Left

rcade

According to Troy Phillips, the Star-Telegram sportswriter who covers North Texas, a large plasma TV disappeared from Dickey's office around the same time he left and has never been found. Has anyone else heard about this?

http://startelegram.typepad.com/college_fo...-year-what.html

It got better: Parents of several players reported a locker-room halftime fight between two assistant coaches, with one putting the other in a choke hold. Dickey said he was in another room and saw or heard nothing.

The following Tuesday, Dickey gave a defiant, bullet-point defense of his nine seasons that lasted about 90 minutes and then took no questions. His parting answer to a final question at one of his last practices: "I don't know. As of Monday, I'm not the coach here anymore."

Dickey's contract wasn't due to end until two weeks after UNT's last game at Louisiana-Monroe. His office was cleared out before that road trip, ending several uncomfortable weeks around the UNT athletic department.

As a bizarre postscript, a large plasma HD television that sat in Dickey's office disappeared some time that weekend and was never found. Dickey...a thief? Unlikely, but how's that for unbelievable timing?

On Saturday, UNT can break an all-time attendance record despite Dodge's rough debut, and its 18 seniors will be appreciated for helping UNT reach four consecutive bowl games under Dickey. Too bad his exit wasn't as graceful as theirs.

--Troy Phillips

That right there folks should make everyone on this board excited about the future. Imagine that, one win, and this school is about to set an ALL TIME ATTENDENCE record. Just imagine what will happen next year and the following years as we really start to win.

Edited by GoMeanGreen1999

That right there folks should make everyone on this board excited about the future. Imagine that, one win, and this school is about to set an ALL TIME ATTENDENCE record. Just imagine what will happen next year and the following years as we really start to win.

That attendance record isn't exactly "in the bag". We have to have a decent crowd on Saturday to do that. I think it's something like 15,000....or more.

With all the things going against us......bad record, bad weather ?, Thanksgiving, no students......it's not going to be easy to break the record.

But that being said, it's still been a great year attendance wise (by our standards), and it certainly bodes well for the future.

I read that blog, I like how he makes sure he doesn't call DD a theif... lets break the record. Come on people, lets break out the blankets and the hot cocoa, and show people that we are great fans in spite of our record. "It's Division One Football, It' the Sunbelt..." Lets also show people why we deserve a new stadium.

According to Troy Phillips, the Star-Telegram sportswriter who covers North Texas, a large plasma TV disappeared from Dickey's office around the same time he left and has never been found. Has anyone else heard about this?

I heard that and more at the spring game, made me really glad DD and is mess is gone.

I heard that and more at the spring game, made me really glad DD and is mess is gone.

OK...........my posts during his last 2 years about Coach Dickey mostly concerned radio barbs and what was my humble opinion of his need to upgrade our football program across the board even as we were going to bowl games, but.........

..........my deepest gut feeling concerning Darrell Dickey is that he is not a thief and I wonder if it might be a good idea for this thread to disappear from this forum and let the Fort Worth Star-Telegram do all the explaining of why they chose to write about this over 1 full year since Darrell Dickey left Denton.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

..........my deepest gut feeling concerning Darrell Dickey is that he is not a thief and I wonder if it might be a good idea for this thread to disappear from this forum and let the Fort Worth Star-Telegram do all the explaining of why they chose to write about this over 1 full year since Darrell Dickey left Denton.

Ummm...why? What are we afraid of? I hate the censorship for the sake of someone possibly being offended crap that goes on here. If it's in the newspaper...then it's fair game for public discussion.

Edited by JayDub

Ummm...why? What are we afraid of? I hate the censorship for the sake of someone possibly being offended crap that goes on here. If it's in the newspaper...then it's fair game for public discussion.

Plus another blog posted this - not someone here.

The people here who know stories like this do a good job of shutting up.

Plus Dickey is gone. He can't hurt you anymore. Unless you invite him in....

The people here who know stories like this do a good job of shutting up.

I've known about this for months...but I never said anything. Now that it's out in the open...why the hell should be shut down the thread? We owe Dickey nothing...

Edited by JayDub

Rick V need to invesitgate this. The Ath. Dept. can't afford to lose a $1,500+ investment. I don't know who took it, but if they can afford to lose an expensive piece of equipment and not worry about it then we don't need to worry about the stadium getting done. They'll just pull the money out of their a$$ again.

Rick V need to invesitgate this. The Ath. Dept. can't afford to lose a $1,500+ investment. I don't know who took it, but if they can afford to lose an expensive piece of equipment and not worry about it then we don't need to worry about the stadium getting done. They'll just pull the money out of their a$ again.

The thing I don't understand about this rumored theft: If a student was suspected of walking off with a plasma TV, it would prompt a criminal investigation and student code of conduct investigation that could result in expulsion. Why would a member of the UNT staff -- one of the highest compensated people at the entire school no less -- be allowed to do it without consequence?

Edited by rcade

The thing I don't understand about this rumored theft: If a student was suspected of walking off with a plasma TV, it would prompt a criminal investigation and student code of conduct investigation that could result in expulsion. Why would a member of the UNT staff -- one of the highest compensated people at the entire school no less -- be allowed to do it without consequence?

The school did not need the bad media, it is my understanding that there was much more missing then just one flat-screen.

The school did not need the bad media, it is my understanding that there was much more missing then just one flat-screen.

I have also heard this. This is all something better left under the rug. Hence why no one on this board has said a damn thing about it until it was in the papers. We all know about it. Dickey is gone, and we (the fans) and the school would prefer to forget about it.

• 2 weeks later...

As a followup to this topic, Troy Phillips' blog entry has been edited to remove the paragraph alleging that a plasma TV left along with Dickey:

UNT is 1-9 entering Saturday's last home game under new coach Todd Dodge. Despite an ugly season, what's happening around the program doesn't even compare to a year ago. Night and day is the atmosphere around the latest senior class. A year ago, former coach Darrell Dickey dressed UNT in unlabeled all-black uniforms for the last home game, a move that siphoned off the last drop of sympathy a shrinking fan base had for its outgoing coach. Dickey had been fired weeks earlier.

Dickey swore to his last day on campus the uniform switch was no stunt, but a gift to his players for not quitting on him. To this day, that's unconfirmed. Current players are conspicuously silent on that last game. On top of losing, they heard fans jeering Dickey and their uniforms on a night worth forgetting.

It got better: Parents of several players reported a locker-room halftime fight between two assistant coaches, with one putting the other in a choke hold. Dickey said he was in another room and saw or heard nothing.

The following Tuesday, Dickey gave a defiant, bullet-point defense of his nine seasons that lasted about 90 minutes and then took no questions. His parting answer to a final question at one of his last practices: "I don't know. As of Monday, I'm not the coach here anymore."

Dickey's contract wasn't due to end until two weeks after UNT's last game at Louisiana-Monroe. His office was cleared out before that road trip, ending several uncomfortable weeks around the UNT athletic department.

On Saturday, UNT can break an all-time attendance record despite Dodge's rough debut, and its 18 seniors will be appreciated for helping UNT reach four consecutive bowl games under Dickey. Too bad his exit wasn't as graceful as theirs.

I don't know what it means, but my guess is that the Star-Telegram didn't want to make an allegation that strong as an aside in a blog entry that didn't quote anybody.

As a followup to this topic, Troy Phillips' blog entry has been edited to remove the paragraph alleging that a plasma TV left along with Dickey:

I don't know what it means, but my guess is that the Star-Telegram didn't want to make an allegation that strong as an aside in a blog entry that didn't quote anybody.

It's not hard to guess why the reference is gone. My guess is that somebody figured out that this was potentially libelous.

They did investigate the crime. I hesitate to comment on this, but Dickey did not take the T.V. You guys hate Dickey so much that any negative rumor or alligation that comes up you will jump on it and believe it without any hesitation. I bet if it were to say that Dickey was a racist last year eveyone on here would be like, "I knew it!," and took it as gospel. Look I know that it might have been time for Dickey to leave UNT, but I got tired of looking at posts stating how bad Utah State is, or hey we're 2-10 but at least Dickey is miserable too. I thought at one point that it wasn't personal, just UNT fans loving there school. Now I see it's personal. Just like Dodge isn't racist Dickey is not a thief. Well, he at least didn't steal that plasma (just our spirit). I have no problem saying that I like Dickey. Of course I do, I played for him and I coached for him. I owe UNT, Dickey, Evans and Deloach alot. They were always good to me. I just think that 3 years from now we'll still be complaining about how Dickey ruined UNT athletics. I'm out!

They did investigate the crime. I hesitate to comment on this, but Dickey did not take the T.V. You guys hate Dickey so much that any negative rumor or alligation that comes up you will jump on it and believe it without any hesitation. I bet if it were to say that Dickey was a racist last year eveyone on here would be like, "I knew it!," and took it as gospel. Look I know that it might have been time for Dickey to leave UNT, but I got tired of looking at posts stating how bad Utah State is, or hey we're 2-10 but at least Dickey is miserable too. I thought at one point that it wasn't personal, just UNT fans loving there school. Now I see it's personal. Just like Dodge isn't racist Dickey is not a thief. Well, he at least didn't steal that plasma (just our spirit). I have no problem saying that I like Dickey. Of course I do, I played for him and I coached for him. I owe UNT, Dickey, Evans and Deloach alot. They were always good to me. I just think that 3 years from now we'll still be complaining about how Dickey ruined UNT athletics. I'm out!

But to be fair, Dickey keeps slinking around our house and bothering us. Just the other day I caught him in the trash bin - AGAIN!

We tried to scare him away with a broom, but he has gotten so comfortable it doesn't even bother him anymore. We had to get the gloves and trash bag and trap him, then release him back into the wild.

We're trying to keep everything locked down, but you just know he's going to come back.

Agreed Ramone. I've never understood why we (as a fanbase) can't just thank Dickey and Co. for their hard work, and more importantly successes during his tenure and move on. We went to FOUR freaking Bowl games in a row. It was definitely time for NT to move in a different direction, but to act as though everything that happened in the Dickey era was a disaster is revisionist history at best.

They did investigate the crime. I hesitate to comment on this, but Dickey did not take the T.V. You guys hate Dickey so much that any negative rumor or alligation that comes up you will jump on it and believe it without any hesitation. ... I thought at one point that it wasn't personal, just UNT fans loving there school. Now I see it's personal. Just like Dodge isn't racist Dickey is not a thief. Well, he at least didn't steal that plasma (just our spirit).

It isn't personal with me. I posted this item solely because UNT's beat writer for the Star-Telegram wrote it on the paper's college football blog. I described it as a "wild allegation" in the topic header, and for the record I have trouble believing any UNT staffer would be stupid enough to commit felony theft and steal a TV. Especially a coach who was walking away with a nice go-away paycheck.

Edited by rcade

Ramon, for as long as there have been people, they have needed a scapegoat to drive out into the desert.

Dickey is the current scapegoat for some.

I don't think anyone on this topic called DD a thief, but it did happen on his watch. Also several other serous discipline problems. I can't speak for everyone but I felt his constant complaining about the fans and the facilities had me beyond ticked off. The toughest/worst situation in football quotes. The stealth recruiting and the lack of total offense, the list goes on.

DD is not missed on my part