Plasma Tv Disappeared When Dickey Left

rcade

Publishing this is without also including the explanation that Dickey was cleared of wrongdoing boarders on libel. The newspaper editor's decision to run it was careless. If Dickey even botheres to read the Denton paper, he'd have a decent libel case. Why the newspaper would open that door up to him is beyond me. Stupid. Just plain stupid.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch

Aren't we all complaining about the facilities? The good thing is RV has done a great job in upgrading things around here. I mean when I was here we had study hall under the bleachers. Now look at what we have. Things are slowly but surely getting better. I wish I had the money to donate to the stadium. Hey, it's the last step in making us a true contender!

Publishing this is without also including the explanation that Dickey was cleared of wrongdoing boarders on libel. The newspaper editor's decision to run it was careless. If Dickey even botheres to read the Denton paper, he'd have a decent libel case. Why the newspaper would open that door up to him is beyond me. Stupid. Just plain stupid.

I don't think it was ever actually printed, it was just a blog entry. I don't know if you would even have proof that it was ever written.

It doesn't matter if it was printed on paper, it was desiminated by a media source on their medium. In this case, a blog. And the name of the blog is right there in big, bold headlines:

College Football Confidential

On campus and inside the huddle with the Star-Telegram's college writers

To the right, there is a column heading that reads: STAR-TELEGRAM BLOGS

The blogs belong to the paper, the paper's mission is to desiminate information to the public, it does so in print and in blog, and one of its writers attempts to paint a picture of how bad things were under the former coach by mentioning the theft of a plasma TV from his office.

Now, you'll note the Star-Telegram subsequently scrubbed the blurb of that piece. But, it was just plain stupid to include it in the first place. If it weren't potentially libelous, they'd have kept it in there.

Aren't we all complaining about the facilities? The good thing is RV has done a great job in upgrading things around here. I mean when I was here we had study hall under the bleachers. Now look at what we have. Things are slowly but surely getting better. I wish I had the money to donate to the stadium. Hey, it's the last step in making us a true contender!

Coach Archie, for me and I am speaking for me, I think in the first place it was DD's attitude or way he chose to slant things. Second I think a head-coach should promote the school not constantly tear it down in the press and radio. Sure the facilities sucked but does that speech that never changed do anyone any good? Even though RV & UNT had made some nice changes? That is only one aspect of it what was going on. The us against the fans stuff, the black uniform stunt, other stuff I wrote above and more.

Ramone,

i agree with you post but I think for a lot of us it is personal. For diehards like myself that stuck with our alma mater and team through his tenure its tough.

He made it personal with his bunker mentality and casual disregard for the University when he had a chance to promote it.

For me and I'm sure others who support this thing and talk it up, its tough enough taking the flak from friends and co-workers. I don't need my head coach reminding us how small time we are.

I guess he's like a bad ex-girlfriend that we dumped, we want to see him fat and unhappy.

Guess we need more stadium and uniform posts to get this thing buried

Edited by Green Nightmare

Yes, the relationship soured and went really bad, and the exit was ugly. It's hard to forget the end of his tenure, and it was time for the relationship to end. I may have taken a few un-kind shots at him myself. Such is the result of an angry divorce.

But I grew up in Denton as a North Texas fan, and I was around for that forty years of wandering in the wilderness without a bowl game. That kind of streak wears on you. While you always try to be optimistic, optimism slowly starves and is replaced by a belief that winning will never happen. Honestly, I didn't think I would ever see North Texas in a bowl game. Coach Dickey changed that.

Coach Dickey, through his team's success on the field, raised this school's football hopes. He also raised our expectations, in the end to higher levels than he could attain. Now we've got a new coach, we may soon have a new stadium, we're recruiting better than ever, and we've raised our standards. I wonder if any of that would have happened if Dickey's teams had not gone to those bowl games.

I don't give a rat's ass how weak or strong the conference was, or how big or small the bowl game was. Fact is, I am able to say that my alma mater won a bowl game. For that, I will forever be grateful to Coach Dickey. And for that, we should all wish him well.

Edited by Smitty

Troy Phillips, the writer of the blog entry I quoted here, thinks I've unfairly characterized it. He told me in email, "I NEVER alleged that Darrell Dickey stole a TV, and if you can't understand that from reading a blog, then I can't help you."

I think asking the question "Dickey ... a thief?" was making an allegation, even though he immediately dismissed it as "unlikely." But in the interest of fairness, I wanted to note his rebuttal.

Troy Phillips, the writer of the blog entry I quoted here, thinks I've unfairly characterized it. He told me in email, "I NEVER alleged that Darrell Dickey stole a TV, and if you can't understand that from reading a blog, then I can't help you."

I think asking the question "Dickey ... a thief?" was making an allegation, even though he immediately dismissed it as "unlikely." But in the interest of fairness, I wanted to note his rebuttal.

Wow, between Troy and T-Mac the DFW Blog media is getting pretty snarky and inflammatory whenever possible.

At least TY's upfront about it.

It didn't get personal until Dickey made it personal by putting one of the greatest receivers in Mean Green history out there in a black practice jersey on senior night as a slap to the AD and the university. That is when it got personal.

Don't forget my all-time Dickey moment when he called us MFer's