Nt Daily Blog - Nt / Navy Game Comments/report Card

MeanGreen61

NT80-

read CR1028's comment.

FFR-

read my post.....I said some may "POSSIBLY" be playing hurt.....who knows unless you have spoken personally with TD or the team doctor.

I am at Fouts Field watching the same games you have this year and have been watching them since '66......and these defensive guys are slow. I see the big difference with more opposing teams running around our tackles and running past our corners and safeties. Personally, I think the defensive front four look like they did for the last three years. But if you notice, and you see the same games I do, teams are not running up the middle too much against us this year......they seem to run around the corners and run past the corners and safeties. Yea, sometimes the opposition busts one up the middle for big yards but they did that the last three or so years.

For ALL of you I still respect your comments but disagree with some of your opionions.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My final comment on this topic................

It took Coach Fry a year or so to turn around our program and when he departed North Texas to go to Iowa he took Bill Snyder (OC) and Bill Brashier (DC).

It took two years to rebuild Iowa into a winning program that they had not had in 20 years.

Ya'll expected some sort of miricle with the arrival of TD. Realize, just like Coach Fry this program will be turned around by TD's staff and just like Fry at NT and at Iowa rebuilding takes time.

Finally, the scores would be closer IF:

1. Our QB's would not have thrown so many interceptions in the endzone.

2. We would not have had so many safeties.

3. We would have had so many blocked punts near the endzone.

4. If the special teams would not have allowed runbacks for TDs.

Now factor these offensive and special team gaffs into the equation and we may have won a game or two more and had closer scores for the other games.

Edited by eulesseagle

NT80-

read CR1028's comment.

FFR-

read my post.....I said some may "POSSIBLY" be playing hurt.....who knows unless you have spoken personally with TD or the team doctor.

I am at Fouts Field watching the same games you have this year and have been watching them since '66......and these defensive guys are slow. I see the big difference with more opposing teams running around our tackles and running past our corners and safeties. Personally, I think the defensive front four look like they did for the last three years. But if you notice, and you see the same games I do, teams are not running up the middle too much against us this year......they seem to run around the corners and run past the corners and safeties. Yea, sometimes the opposition busts one up the middle for big yards but they did that the last three or so years.

For ALL of you I still respect your comments but disagree with some of your opionions.

People love to make incomplete arguments like they know all.

I unfortunately am not that smart, I don't know all that is happening on our defense. Is there lots of discipline problems? Is there discontent? I don't know but we have seen the signs of it. Is our talent that great? I have not seen lots of talent on the defense. Is Mendoza a quality D1a coach I don't know but I do know for sure that Dodge does.

All these crap posts "fire the guy stuff" is old and tired thats for sure.

Plus people are glad to glide over the flip side of the stats they throw out from last year.

This year we have faced a much MUCH harder average total offense, many on the board want to just dismiss this like last year and the year are even close but they are not.

Total offense played this year:

15. Navy

17. Oklahoma

20. Arkansas

24. Troy

45. Southern Methodist

49. La.-Monroe

52. La.-Lafayette

57. Fla. Atlantic

89. Middle Tenn. St.

That is an average opponent total offense of 40 out of 119/120.

LAST YEAR the average opponent total offense was 75 out of 119 which is a huge difference.

I am not trying to defend Mendoza, I am sure that Dodge has the situation under control and we will see results by next year, but there is plenty of problems getting overlooked in these arguments. Just for anyone thinking I am happy with our results on defense, I am not. I could only shake my head last Saturday, when I watched our defense, but if bad play is a result of setting up discipline I will take it. In the long run it will make us a much better team.

While I agree that Mendoza needs to go, a small PART of the discrepancy in the defensive statistics between this year and last is a result of a quick-strike offense that passes the ball as much as ours does. In Dickey's run-based offenses of the past, our opponents had less time to put up as many points (although sometimes we did give up 50+). Even a three-and-out in years past would take more time than some of our drives in which we achieve 2 or 3 first downs. Think about it.

Regardless, this is not an excuse. The defense still lacks adjustments, technique and discipline. I wouldn't be sad to see Mendoza go.

REPORT CARD FOR NAVY GAME

Quarterback (Vizza): A+

Receiving Corps: A+

Rushing Game (Jamario and Mosley): F

Offensive Line: A-

Defense: F

Special Teams: N/A

Game Balls: Wide receiver Casey Fitzgerald and quarterback Giovanni Vizza

NT's defense is the worst it's ever been, ranking towards the rock bottom of all major defensive categories for nearly the entire season in all of college football.

Meanwhile, Dodge's offense has taken off and shown substantial growth on several occasions. If Dodge is to be successful at the college level, one would logically assume that it would have to be without Mendoza, who has yet to show any promise.

It appears that, barring a miraculous offseason revelation, Mendoza will not suddenly become a qualified college defensive coordinator any time soon.

It's been hard to ignore the fans' valid screams for a new defensive coordinator, but after losing a game in which the offense scored 62 points, well, there's just no defending him now. He must go.

BLOG OPINION/ARTICLE

http://media.www.ntdaily.com/media/storage...t-2960510.shtml

Just a thought but has anyone ever thought that perhaps Mendoza's defense is great and will work perfectly but we just need some recruits to fill the position??? So then the choice becomes: 1) If you're Mendoza you could change the current defense back to what most of the players were used to (3-4) and watch it not work so well and then we all realize that it wasn't the coach but rather the lack of talent on hand.....or 2) If you're Mendoza you could wait on changing your whole defense around, fill those positions with the quality recruits you planned on bringing in anyway, and then have a good defense and good recruits....If you choose 1) There is absolutely NO guarantee that the defense would be any better (just as there isn't if you get rid of Mendoza and bring someone else in) and possibly be even worse...2) You have a few losing seasons until recruits get brought in and the defense could actually be successful.

Mendoza is not the problem, the lack of talent with this defense IS. Wait, let him do his thing and recruit some guys to make it work.

Just a thought but has anyone ever thought that perhaps Mendoza's defense is great and will work perfectly but we just need some recruits to fill the position???

:lol:

Mendoza is not the problem, the lack of talent with this defense IS. Wait, let him do his thing and recruit some guys to make it work.

Nope. he needs to go. When a coach doesn't even make an EFFORT to adjust at halftime... when amateur fans can call a defense scheme better than the coach... then the problem isn't the kids, the problem lies squarely on the shoulders on the coach. No, we can't wait for Mendoza to 'do his thing'. He's in over his head, that is obvious. Even Vito, UNT's 2nd biggest public cheerleader after Firefighting Rick, is publicly saying it's time for Mendoza to leave.

In fact, mendoza should be a man and announce that he is stepping down so that UNT can get a jump on looking at potential hires.

Edited by UNTflyer

:lol:

Nope. he needs to go. When a coach doesn't even make an EFFORT to adjust at halftime... when amateur fans can call a defense scheme better than the coach... then the problem isn't the kids, the problem lies squarely on the shoulders on the coach. No, we can't wait for Mendoza to 'do his thing'. He's in over his head, that is obvious. Even Vito, UNT's 2nd biggest public cheerleader after Firefighting Rick, is publicly saying it's time for Mendoza to leave.

In fact, mendoza should be a man and announce that he is stepping down so that UNT can get a jump on looking at potential hires.

Mendoza probably isn't going anywhere. He probably won't be the DC next season, but I think Dodge will find something for him to do on this staff.

Ok I will bite......again.

Have you ever thought that the defensive talent we have is sub standard and not the fault of Coach Mendoza?

Two years prior to Coach Dodge, teams seemed to be running through our defense and ya'll wanted to hang effigies of Coach Dickey.

Personally, I think it is the lack of talent that is on the defensive side of the ball. Two years ago and last year all I heard was derogitory comments about why can't we stop the run and pass.

This year the same 'ol gripe.

Someone wrote about how easy it would be to stop the triple option because all you had to focus on was the QB, FB and TB (and possibly one receiver who caught all the passes). That is like saying how easy it is to get electricity because all you have to do is flip a switch. IMHO, the "triple option" is a little more complicated than focusing in on three players. There are 22 guys out there being pushed, blocked, deceived and tricked into uncompromising positions. But I am sure all you X-Box wizzards and Madden 08 wizzards know all there is to know about that.

Personally I see our defense woes as a lack of talent and possibly some of the guys playing hurt because we have no depth on defense.

Remember after UNT was called for holding in the endzone and the free kick and that 5 foot something running back jetted through the middle of the line for a touchdown. From where I was sitting three of UNT's back players were caught flat footed, saw the back coming 10 yards away and could not turn around fast enough and much less come close to catching the Navy runner. Dudes and dudettes, to me that is just pure and simple LACK of talent.

IMHO our corners play soft because if they played any closer to the line they would get burned faster than where they currently play. Lack of talent.

Seems to me this is the third year or so that we have had this problem on defense.....lack of talent.

Ya just can't make a Yugo into a Mercedes overnight guys and the problem is talent and lack of depth.

Ya'll will point to the number of points that teams have put up against us verses the last couple of years.

One: Most of it has to do with the offense Coach Dodge is running. Passing does not eat up the clock as fast as run, run, draw play did.

Two: Lack of talent, no depth, possible minor aches/pains/injuries.

Three: Evidently there ain't no defensive speed on defense.....and IMHO that is why the opponents wide receivers and tight ends are 10-15 yards beyond our defensive backs when they catch the ball.

One Navy receiver said that the one thing he admired about our defensive backs were how clean the back of their uniforms were as he ran by.

You could fire Coach Mendoza today and get the best Defensive Coordinator in the world tomorrow and you know what?

1. We still have no talent

2. We still have no speed

3. Coach Dodge is still going to chunk the pumkin 40-50 times a game (slowing down the game). "Remember when you throw you use up less time than if you run"......Dickey101. Personally, I think Coach Dickey knew what sort of talent he had and that is why he ran the ball so much so he could keep the game close going into the 4th quarter to win the game. Am I right or wrong....I can't remember how many times I read it in the paper and heard him say it on the radio.

Coach Dodge has my full faith in turning the program around on "O" & "D."

Support the team and "ALL" our coaches because this is the best bunch that I have seen since the Fry era and we all know where those guys ended up. IMHO we are looking at the same thing 30 years later.

If this board was up and running 30 years ago ya'll would have already run Fry and his staff out of town.

Be patient ..... we have the makings of a great staff. Besides, Coach Dodge would have not brought Coach Mendoza if he were not any good and I certainly for one respect Coach Dodge's ability to see talent and utilize good talent. I trust Coach Dodge and him bringing Coach Mendoza to UNT.

This defense, minus Sky Pruitt, in a different scheme was #61 in the nation last year. The only differences I see are Pruitt graduated and Mendoza arrived.

But if you notice, and you see the same games I do, teams are not running up the middle too much against us this year

#22 Adam Ballard FB....13 carries, 87 yards, 6.7 Yards per carry average.

#36 Eric Katani FB..........6 carries, 76 yards, 12.3 Yards per carry average.

But really I can understand why there would be little need in running up the middle on us when you have a slotback like #22 Shun White gaining 131 yard on 7 carries for an 18.7 yard per carry average and the opposite slotback #28 Zerbin Singleton gaining 103 yards on 8 carries for a 12.9 yards around the ends all day.

As for the comparison to the offenses we have faced being ranked higher.

KingDl1

LAST YEAR the average opponent total offense was 75 out of 119 which is a huge difference.

Don't think so. Are you averaging in the entire year from '06? We haven't played our entire schedule yet. Take out Florida International, Arkansas State and Akron from last year then our opposing average offense in '06 ranks 60th. Take out La Tech instead of Akron you get 70th. The difference between 40th(in our 9 games so far) and 60th from last year is an offense that is producing 75 more yards per game or 6 to 8 more yards per drive. Add in the rest of this season's opponents ASU, FIU and Western Ken and our average opposing offense will be 50th, or one producing 403 yards per game for the '07 season.

In '05 the average offense we faced was 75th, or an offense producing around 350 yards per game. With most of this same defense in '05 as freshmen and sophomores(3rd youngest nationally as of week one) they averaged as the 101st defense, giving up 86 more yards than the average offenses they faced.

In '06 the average opposing offense averaged 75th, or an offense producing around 321 yards per game. That years defense, or this years defense plus Sky Pruitt and Roy Loren ranked 64th, giving up 338 yards per game or 17 more yards a game than the average offenses they faced.

This year the average offense we have faced so far ranks 40th producing 419 yards per game. Our defense ranks 119th, giving up 518 yards per game or 99 yards more than the average offenses we have faced so far. Plus we're giving up 18 more points per game than the previous worst defense under any other new regime's first year since the beginning in 1913.

Putting it short, we have stepped not backwards, but leaped backwards instead of forwards with one of our most veteran returning defenses in quite some time.

If your interested on how powerfull the offenses we have face this year are then compare the best we have faced this year to the best the last two, all mostly with the same kids.

'05 Tulsa, ranked 39th nationally, we gave up 406 yards to the hurricanes.

'06 Texas, ranked 22nd nationally, we gave up 419 yards to the horns.

'07 Navy, ranked 15th nationally, we gave up 572 yards to the Midshipmen.

....don't like navy because they run an awkward offense?

'07 Oklahoma, ranked 17th nationally, we gave up 668 yards to the Sooners.

'07 TROY, ranked 24th nationally, we gave up 493 yards to the Trojans.

'07 SMU, ranked 45th nationally, we gave up 534 yards to the pony's.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

Yes I averaged the entire year from 06, and even if you average teams we have not played this year:

118. Florida Int'l

77. Arkansas St.

Western Ky. (417.50 Ydspgm would put them 41st)

It wont change much. But theoretically our defense should get somewhat better statistically.

This is only one stat but it shows things are different this year regardless, and I don't know what is happening in practice. I don't know how bad the discipline problems are and I don't know how bad the discontent is on the defense. I don't know that Mendoza is the man or not, but I know that Dodge is much closer to the situation and I am sure he knows how to fix the problem. I know we have all heard the rumblings on defense.

If a good part of this centers around discipline, I can take it for this year.

Most of all please recognize I am NOT HAPPY! But I can understand that the problems on defense may be much more complicated then what did last year verses what we are doing this year.

#22 Adam Ballard FB....13 carries, 87 yards, 6.7 Yards per carry average.

#36 Eric Katani FB..........6 carries, 76 yards, 12.3 Yards per carry average.

But really I can understand why there would be little need in running up the middle on us when you have a slotback like #22 Shun White gaining 131 yard on 7 carries for an 18.7 yard per carry average and the opposite slotback #28 Zerbin Singleton gaining 103 yards on 8 carries for a 12.9 yards around the ends all day.

As for the comparison to the offenses we have faced being ranked higher.

KingDl1

Don't think so. Are you averaging in the entire year from '06? We haven't played our entire schedule yet. Take out Florida International, Arkansas State and Akron from last year then our opposing average offense in '06 ranks 60th. Take out La Tech instead of Akron you get 70th. The difference between 40th(in our 9 games so far) and 60th from last year is an offense that is producing 75 more yards per game or 6 to 8 more yards per drive. Add in the rest of this season's opponents ASU, FIU and Western Ken and our average opposing offense will be 50th, or one producing 403 yards per game for the '07 season.

In '05 the average offense we faced was 75th, or an offense producing around 350 yards per game. With most of this same defense in '05 as freshmen and sophomores(3rd youngest nationally as of week one) they averaged as the 101st defense, giving up 86 more yards than the average offenses they faced.

In '06 the average opposing offense averaged 75th, or an offense producing around 321 yards per game. That years defense, or this years defense plus Sky Pruitt and Roy Loren ranked 64th, giving up 338 yards per game or 17 more yards a game than the average offenses they faced.

This year the average offense we have faced so far ranks 40th producing 419 yards per game. Our defense ranks 119th, giving up 518 yards per game or 99 yards more than the average offenses we have faced so far. Plus we're giving up 18 more points per game than the previous worst defense under any other new regime's first year since the beginning in 1913.

Putting it short, we have stepped not backwards, but leaped backwards instead of forwards with one of our most veteran returning defenses in quite some time.

If your interested on how powerfull the offenses we have face this year are then compare the best we have faced this year to the best the last two, all mostly with the same kids.

'05 Tulsa, ranked 39th nationally, we gave up 406 yards to the hurricanes.

'06 Texas, ranked 22nd nationally, we gave up 419 yards to the horns.

'07 Navy, ranked 15th nationally, we gave up 572 yards to the Midshipmen.

....don't like navy because they run an awkward offense?

'07 Oklahoma, ranked 17th nationally, we gave up 668 yards to the Sooners.

'07 TROY, ranked 24th nationally, we gave up 493 yards to the Trojans.

'07 SMU, ranked 45th nationally, we gave up 534 yards to the pony's.

Rick

You seriously need to think of becoming a statistician ;) , that was nice work.

People love to make incomplete arguments like they know all.

I unfortunately am not that smart, I don't know all that is happening on our defense. Is there lots of discipline problems? Is there discontent? I don't know but we have seen the signs of it. Is our talent that great? I have not seen lots of talent on the defense. Is Mendoza a quality D1a coach I don't know but I do know for sure that Dodge does.

All these crap posts "fire the guy stuff" is old and tired thats for sure.

Plus people are glad to glide over the flip side of the stats they throw out from last year.

This year we have faced a much MUCH harder average total offense, many on the board want to just dismiss this like last year and the year are even close but they are not.

Total offense played this year:

15. Navy

17. Oklahoma

20. Arkansas

24. Troy

45. Southern Methodist

49. La.-Monroe

52. La.-Lafayette

57. Fla. Atlantic

89. Middle Tenn. St.

That is an average opponent total offense of 40 out of 119/120.

I am not trying to defend Mendoza, I am sure that Dodge has the situation under control and we will see results by next year, but there is plenty of problems getting overlooked in these arguments. Just for anyone thinking I am happy with our results on defense, I am not. I could only shake my head last Saturday, when I watched our defense, but if bad play is a result of setting up discipline I will take it. In the long run it will make us a much better team.

What are their rankings when you back out their games against us.

Guest 97and03

There is truth in what eulesseagle and others have said. There is a talent gap between UNT defense and that of other major and mid-major D1 schools. How big that talent gap is, I do not know, but our defense does look a little slow. And yes, the offense has changed, therefore changing the dynamic of the entire game. There is more pressure on the defense this year because of the new offense. Hell, even when the offense does well with a quick strike 70 yard TD pass it puts more pressure on the D, because they have less time to rest between series.

But...

I think that it is the lack of adjustments, both pre-game and in-game that seem to be the downfall of the defense. So you have a system that you run? Ok. Run it. But do you run it without modification based on the players you have? No.

Let's look at the Cowboys as a flawed analogy. Parcells and Phillips both are 3-4 gurus. The difference has been that Phillips adjusted his scheme to fit the personnel. Parcells just got new players or tried to change them to work in his system. I think that this year's defense for Dallas has been much more effective. And the players really appreciate the system that adapts to their strengths. Success has been the result.

I think that if (and I say if) our personnel isn't all that talented, then the scheme must adapt to highlight their strengths and minimize their weaknesses. If you aren't handling a certain type of play well, like the option, then you adjust in game to compensate. I noticed that when Navy ran the option, there was sometimes only one player outside covering both the pitch man and the QB. As soon as the defender committed, the ball was either pitched or turned up field by the QB. Why was there only one defender out to cover two players? And how long did it take to remedy that? I would have thought the pre-game planning would have covered this...

Anyway, sorry for the long post. To sum up, there are some valid points being made by the Mendoza defenders. But their defense just does not cover the biggest problem - the lack of adjustments.

PS. As a follow-up, please note the quote from the Telegram article on another thread regarding making adjustments on offense:

New wrinkle

A tight end set with which UNT has tinkered made more than a token appearance against Navy, with Victor Gill lined up on either side.

Inside receiver Brock Stickler moved to a slot position, with one back and two receivers filling the set. It has run-first intentions unless the defense shows otherwise.

Receiver Casey Fitzgerald caught a 29-yard touchdown pass out of the set.

"We're just looking at how people line up to it," Dodge said. "It's nice to mix in different personnel groups."

Edited by 97and03

Actually he is right. They are on the field more, the clock just isn't running like it used to be. They were only out there for 65 plays per game last year, now they are on the field for nearly 74 plays per game. Also, didn't someone post that this year's games are lasting like almost an hour longer than last year's?

The screaming flaw with this reasoning is simple math. (especially after people say things like "Gee, with a college degree, you should be able to add and figure out how stupid what you are saying is...") :rolleyes:

Here's my UNT Degree at work:

Last year the defense was on the field for an average of 66 plays per game. Time of Possesion last year was 29 minutes per game average. Average points scored against our Defense - 28 Points.

This year the defense was on the field for an average of 71 plays per game. Time of possesion this year is 31 minutes per game average. Average points scored against our Defense - 49.5 Points.

...so, the defense is playing 7% MORE plays, 6% LESS time, and giving up 43% more points.

Add this into the statistical genious of FFR, and you start to see a pretty harsh picture.

DIRE need to make massive changes on the staff...

yyz28 said:
The screaming flaw with this reasoning is simple math. (especially after people say things like "Gee, with a college degree, you should be able to add and figure out how stupid what you are saying is...") :rolleyes:

Here's my UNT Degree at work:

Last year the defense was on the field for an average of 66 plays per game. Time of Possesion last year was 29 minutes per game average. Average points scored against our Defense - 28 Points.

This year the defense was on the field for an average of 71 plays per game. Time of possesion this year is 31 minutes per game average. Average points scored against our Defense - 49.5 Points.

...so, the defense is playing 7% MORE plays, 6% LESS time, and giving up 43% more points.

Add this into the statistical genious of FFR, and you start to see a pretty harsh picture.

DIRE need to make massive changes on the staff...

Just a question. How long does a game last when the clock runs throughout? How long does a game last with a no-huddle offense that passes(clock stops on incompletions) and strikes quickly? The game clock will always have 60 seconds yes, but time on your watch you will notice is a lot longer.

If you were in the business of data entry and they stopped the clock everytime you weren't typing, how long would your 8hr day really last?

I challenge you to watch any game from last year with a stopwatch, start the clock when they walk on the field, stop the clock when they walk off, also do this a game from this year and see the differense in total elapsed time.

Edited by Cr1028
Thanks Adler

Just a question. How long does a game last when the clock runs throughout? How long does a game last with a no-huddle offense that passes(clock stops on incompletions) and strikes quickly? The game clock will always have 60 seconds yes, but time on your watch you will notice is alot longer.

If you were in the business of data entry and they stopped the clock everytime you weren't typing, how long would your 8hr day really last?

I challenge you to watch any game from last year with a stopwatch, start the clock when they walk on the field, stop the clock when they walk off, also do this a game from this year and see the differense in total elapsed time.

...and this makes what difference? They aren't exerting themselves a longer amount of time. Less if anything - we've got the playclock down to the last tick before we're starting the play.

...and doesn't the other team we're playing have to contend with the same time situation? Not like there is a rip in space-time on the UNT sideline and not on the Visitors...

Ok I will bite......again.

Have you ever thought that the defensive talent we have is sub standard and not the fault of Coach Mendoza?

Two years prior to Coach Dodge, teams seemed to be running through our defense and ya'll wanted to hang effigies of Coach Dickey.

Personally, I think it is the lack of talent that is on the defensive side of the ball. Two years ago and last year all I heard was derogitory comments about why can't we stop the run and pass.

This year the same 'ol gripe.

Someone wrote about how easy it would be to stop the triple option because all you had to focus on was the QB, FB and TB (and possibly one receiver who caught all the passes). That is like saying how easy it is to get electricity because all you have to do is flip a switch. IMHO, the "triple option" is a little more complicated than focusing in on three players. There are 22 guys out there being pushed, blocked, deceived and tricked into uncompromising positions. But I am sure all you X-Box wizzards and Madden 08 wizzards know all there is to know about that.

Personally I see our defense woes as a lack of talent and possibly some of the guys playing hurt because we have no depth on defense.

Remember after UNT was called for holding in the endzone and the free kick and that 5 foot something running back jetted through the middle of the line for a touchdown. From where I was sitting three of UNT's back players were caught flat footed, saw the back coming 10 yards away and could not turn around fast enough and much less come close to catching the Navy runner. Dudes and dudettes, to me that is just pure and simple LACK of talent.

IMHO our corners play soft because if they played any closer to the line they would get burned faster than where they currently play. Lack of talent.

Seems to me this is the third year or so that we have had this problem on defense.....lack of talent.

Ya just can't make a Yugo into a Mercedes overnight guys and the problem is talent and lack of depth.

Ya'll will point to the number of points that teams have put up against us verses the last couple of years.

One: Most of it has to do with the offense Coach Dodge is running. Passing does not eat up the clock as fast as run, run, draw play did.

Two: Lack of talent, no depth, possible minor aches/pains/injuries.

Three: Evidently there ain't no defensive speed on defense.....and IMHO that is why the opponents wide receivers and tight ends are 10-15 yards beyond our defensive backs when they catch the ball.

One Navy receiver said that the one thing he admired about our defensive backs were how clean the back of their uniforms were as he ran by.

You could fire Coach Mendoza today and get the best Defensive Coordinator in the world tomorrow and you know what?

1. We still have no talent

2. We still have no speed

3. Coach Dodge is still going to chunk the pumkin 40-50 times a game (slowing down the game). "Remember when you throw you use up less time than if you run"......Dickey101. Personally, I think Coach Dickey knew what sort of talent he had and that is why he ran the ball so much so he could keep the game close going into the 4th quarter to win the game. Am I right or wrong....I can't remember how many times I read it in the paper and heard him say it on the radio.

Coach Dodge has my full faith in turning the program around on "O" & "D."

Support the team and "ALL" our coaches because this is the best bunch that I have seen since the Fry era and we all know where those guys ended up. IMHO we are looking at the same thing 30 years later.

If this board was up and running 30 years ago ya'll would have already run Fry and his staff out of town.

Be patient ..... we have the makings of a great staff. Besides, Coach Dodge would have not brought Coach Mendoza if he were not any good and I certainly for one respect Coach Dodge's ability to see talent and utilize good talent. I trust Coach Dodge and him bringing Coach Mendoza to UNT.

Keep drinking!!! Mendoza is still serving!!!

koolaid.jpg