REPORT CARD FOR NAVY GAME

Quarterback (Vizza): A+

Receiving Corps: A+

Rushing Game (Jamario and Mosley): F

Offensive Line: A-

Defense: F

Special Teams: N/A

Game Balls: Wide receiver Casey Fitzgerald and quarterback Giovanni Vizza

NT's defense is the worst it's ever been, ranking towards the rock bottom of all major defensive categories for nearly the entire season in all of college football.

Meanwhile, Dodge's offense has taken off and shown substantial growth on several occasions. If Dodge is to be successful at the college level, one would logically assume that it would have to be without Mendoza, who has yet to show any promise.

It appears that, barring a miraculous offseason revelation, Mendoza will not suddenly become a qualified college defensive coordinator any time soon.

It's been hard to ignore the fans' valid screams for a new defensive coordinator, but after losing a game in which the offense scored 62 points, well, there's just no defending him now. He must go.

BLOG OPINION/ARTICLE

http://media.www.ntdaily.com/media/storage...t-2960510.shtml

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Mean Green even led by 18 with 1:16 left in the first half, but then Navy scored 14 points to close out the half and cut deeply into NT's lead, which was then down to 49-45. NT would lose the lead in five minutes into the third quarter and never recover.

:puke:

:blowup:

There's not much of an excuse to losing a game when you score 62 points. Even with a loss, it should've been something like 62-63 or something, not by the score that came up. Our D should be physically capable of keeping up with their offense, I think the planning simply wasn't there this time, and that's the coach at fault.

Does anyone know what J-Mo and Micah's per carry average was?

From the game statistics

Rushing No Gain Loss Net TD Lg Avg

---------------------------------------------------------

Vizza, Giovanni 13 97 4 93 0 17 7.2

Thomas, Jamario 8 38 0 38 0 12 4.8

Mosley, Micah 7 28 2 26 1 9 3.7

Totals... 28 163 6 157 1 17 5.6

From the game statistics

Rushing No Gain Loss Net TD Lg Avg

---------------------------------------------------------

Vizza, Giovanni 13 97 4 93 0 17 7.2

Thomas, Jamario 8 38 0 38 0 12 4.8

Mosley, Micah 7 28 2 26 1 9 3.7

Totals... 28 163 6 157 1 17 5.6

Thanks - I had just looked it up when I saw you had posted that. I had thought our 2 RBs did alright when given the chance. Why grade them an "F" with averages of 4.8 and 3.7, and a TD?

Ok I will bite......again.

Have you ever thought that the defensive talent we have is sub standard and not the fault of Coach Mendoza?

Two years prior to Coach Dodge, teams seemed to be running through our defense and ya'll wanted to hang effigies of Coach Dickey.

Personally, I think it is the lack of talent that is on the defensive side of the ball. Two years ago and last year all I heard was derogitory comments about why can't we stop the run and pass.

This year the same 'ol gripe.

Someone wrote about how easy it would be to stop the triple option because all you had to focus on was the QB, FB and TB (and possibly one receiver who caught all the passes). That is like saying how easy it is to get electricity because all you have to do is flip a switch. IMHO, the "triple option" is a little more complicated than focusing in on three players. There are 22 guys out there being pushed, blocked, deceived and tricked into uncompromising positions. But I am sure all you X-Box wizzards and Madden 08 wizzards know all there is to know about that.

Personally I see our defense woes as a lack of talent and possibly some of the guys playing hurt because we have no depth on defense.

Remember after UNT was called for holding in the endzone and the free kick and that 5 foot something running back jetted through the middle of the line for a touchdown. From where I was sitting three of UNT's back players were caught flat footed, saw the back coming 10 yards away and could not turn around fast enough and much less come close to catching the Navy runner. Dudes and dudettes, to me that is just pure and simple LACK of talent.

IMHO our corners play soft because if they played any closer to the line they would get burned faster than where they currently play. Lack of talent.

Seems to me this is the third year or so that we have had this problem on defense.....lack of talent.

Ya just can't make a Yugo into a Mercedes overnight guys and the problem is talent and lack of depth.

Ya'll will point to the number of points that teams have put up against us verses the last couple of years.

One: Most of it has to do with the offense Coach Dodge is running. Passing does not eat up the clock as fast as run, run, draw play did.

Two: Lack of talent, no depth, possible minor aches/pains/injuries.

Three: Evidently there ain't no defensive speed on defense.....and IMHO that is why the opponents wide receivers and tight ends are 10-15 yards beyond our defensive backs when they catch the ball.

One Navy receiver said that the one thing he admired about our defensive backs were how clean the back of their uniforms were as he ran by.

You could fire Coach Mendoza today and get the best Defensive Coordinator in the world tomorrow and you know what?

1. We still have no talent

2. We still have no speed

3. Coach Dodge is still going to chunk the pumkin 40-50 times a game (slowing down the game). "Remember when you throw you use up less time than if you run"......Dickey101. Personally, I think Coach Dickey knew what sort of talent he had and that is why he ran the ball so much so he could keep the game close going into the 4th quarter to win the game. Am I right or wrong....I can't remember how many times I read it in the paper and heard him say it on the radio.

Coach Dodge has my full faith in turning the program around on "O" & "D."

Support the team and "ALL" our coaches because this is the best bunch that I have seen since the Fry era and we all know where those guys ended up. IMHO we are looking at the same thing 30 years later.

If this board was up and running 30 years ago ya'll would have already run Fry and his staff out of town.

Be patient ..... we have the makings of a great staff. Besides, Coach Dodge would have not brought Coach Mendoza if he were not any good and I certainly for one respect Coach Dodge's ability to see talent and utilize good talent. I trust Coach Dodge and him bringing Coach Mendoza to UNT.

Have you ever thought that the defensive talent we have is sub standard and not the fault of Coach Mendoza?

Two years prior to Coach Dodge, teams seemed to be running through our defense and ya'll wanted to hang effigies of Coach Dickey.

Personally, I think it is the lack of talent that is on the defensive side of the ball. Two years ago and last year all I heard was derogitory comments about why can't we stop the run and pass.

Someone wrote about how easy it would be to stop the triple option because all you had to focus on was the QB, FB and TB (and possibly one receiver who caught all the passes). That is like saying how easy it is to get electricity because all you have to do is flip a switch. IMHO, the "triple option" is a little more complicated than focusing in on three players. There are 22 guys out there being pushed, blocked, deceived and tricked into uncompromising positions. But I am sure all you X-Box wizzards and Madden 08 wizzards know all there is to know about that.

Personally I see our defense woes as a lack of talent and possibly some of the guys playing hurt because we have no depth on defense.

Remember after UNT was called for holding in the endzone and the free kick and that 5 foot something running back jetted through the middle of the line for a touchdown. From where I was sitting three of UNT's back players were caught flat footed, saw the back coming 10 yards away and could not turn around fast enough and much less come close to catching the Navy runner. Dudes and dudettes, to me that is just pure and simple LACK of talent.

IMHO our corners play soft because if they played any closer to the line they would get burned faster than where they currently play. Lack of talent.

Seems to me this is the third year or so that we have had this problem on defense.....lack of talent.

Ya just can't make a Yugo into a Mercedes overnight guys and the problem is talent and lack of depth.

Ya'll will point to the number of points that teams have put up against us verses the last couple of years.

One: Most of it has to do with the offense Coach Dodge is running. Passing does not eat up the clock as fast as run, run, draw play did.

Three: Evidently there ain't no defensive speed on defense.....and IMHO that is why the opponents wide receivers and tight ends are 10-15 yards beyond our defensive backs when they catch the ball.

One Navy receiver said that the one thing he admired about our defensive backs were how clean the back of their uniforms were as he ran by.

You could fire Coach Mendoza today and get the best Defensive Coordinator in the world tomorrow and you know what?

3. Coach Dodge is still going to chunk the pumkin 40-50 times a game (slowing down the game). "Remember when you throw you use up less time than if you run"......Dickey101. Personally, I think Coach Dickey knew what sort of talent he had and that is why he ran the ball so much so he could keep the game close going into the 4th quarter to win the game. Am I right or wrong....I can't remember how many times I read it in the paper and heard him say it on the radio.

Support the team and "ALL" our coaches because this is the best bunch that I have seen since the Fry era and we all know where those guys ended up. IMHO we are looking at the same thing 30 years later.

If this board was up and running 30 years ago ya'll would have already run Fry and his staff out of town.

Be patient ..... we have the makings of a great staff. Besides, Coach Dodge would have not brought Coach Mendoza if he were not any good and I certainly for one respect Coach Dodge's ability to see talent and utilize good talent. I trust Coach Dodge and him bringing Coach Mendoza to UNT.

Couldn't disagree more. This defense lost ONE, count em, ONE starter. You're telling me the astronomical drop off in productivity and getting run through like a paper towel dam is the result of Sky Pruitt's superhuman abilities? And no, the triple-option isn't "simple" to stop, but it's also not impossible like we made it look. Bottom line is EVERY team we have played, with the possible exceptions of ULM and Troy, has exposed our defense to a degree...some by 50+ points.

There is zero defending this mess based on "lack of talent."

This topic has been hashed on this board in about a billion threads... Go read them.

FIRE MENDOZA...NOW

U N T Defense Is The Worst, And It's Not Even Close

Defensive Historical Contrasts

Your post is full of incorrect information. Here are some Facts:

Fact: We have the worst defense in the nation. not by a point or two a game, but by 7 points. The NEXT WORSE Defense in the nation allows 7 fewer points than ours does.

Fact: The defense of last season which had essentially the same players with a year's less experience were not world beaters, but DID manage average performances, leading us to a 64th rank defensively.

Fact: We are running a non-adjusting Cover One scheme.

Fact: Coach Dodge has managed to get record breaking performance out of Dickey's recruits.

I'm really tired of this crap of blaming the kids... They had enough talent to be average last year. Average defense this year has us right in the thick of things right now.

...and your argument "One: Most of it has to do with the offense Coach Dodge is running. Passing does not eat up the clock as fast as run, run, draw play did" is flawed. We controlled the Time of Possesion against Navy, Troy, ULaLa and FAU and STILL lost those games. Defense is on the field less and can't stop anyone.

Then you bash the kids 3 times in your post then say "Support the team and "ALL" our coaches..."!?!?!?!? Wow. Balls bro. Balls.

Edited by yyz28

Good post, eulesseagle...

Thank God Al Gore had not invented the internet while Coach Fry was in the midst of his "2 Win" 1974 football season, ie, his 2'nd season in Denton, right eulesseagle.

You know (one more time here).....................I (and many, many others who never posted their thoughts for whatever reasons) gave Darrell Dickey an extremely fair 7 out of 9 years to see if he could raise us out of our annual Bottom 25 co-existance. And since most forward-thinking NCAA D1-A program have Top 25 football al but in their football mission statements, many of us were (I suppose) naive' enough to think thats what Mean Green football should be aiming its future fortunes.

DD BALL ONE MORE TIME......All my own problems with DD as an alum and cyber-fan were not even always about his coaching or about X's & O's at all (and I will not re-hash all the off the field/on the radio comments or.........horror stories about off the field discipline problems I will never post). Yet with 7 out of 9 years this Mean Green football program seemed to not ever have Top 25 (or somewhere even close) as its goal, but rather recruiting ONLY for what used to be a SBC level of competition...........

............and then for our annual slow starts of going 0 and 6 OR 1 & 5 before we would make a miraculous run thru a grouping of schools most of us had never heard of 25 years ago so we could go, uh, bowling. Bowl trips that never seemed to ever win us DFW or even Lone Star State respect (and I defer to CUSA's non-interest in us even over the D.P. 2 decade-loser SMU and a Texas Bowl in Houston that even left UNT off their future check lists--all that after our 4 bowl run if you have not forgotten. So is it hard for some still fathom what all those unranked SBC championships did for us now? I thought so.........BUT..........in all fairness we did get a donation that would pay for about 1/10'th of the total cost of our Athletic Center. I repeat.................1/10'th of the cost.

We are all mostly products and enthusiasts of the eras in which we attended North Texas I think most would agree, but had Darrell Dickey only raised the bar at UNT to get us back to what many of us personally witnessed during the Fry era, he would probably not be at Utah State today (or at least, for the next few weeks).

If coach Fry had had such critics as Dodge has now (and you are throwing TDodge under the bus every time you berate any of his coaches before a first season has been completed); yet because of Coach Fry's 2 wins in 1974 and "IF" cyber-pseudo college football armchair QB/experts could have formed a cyber lynch mob to run him off, then the unforgettable 1975 season would have never happened and we would still only be able to call a near win over Arkansas in 1968 or one at UT in 1988 as our 2 brightest, shining moments over true high profile football name schools in our close to 100 years of Mean Green football. :blink:

When most coaches detect a problem, they usually don't knee-jerk into a "during the season" quick decision until they let that season run its course. Outside of some coaches resigning before a season ends, how many times can you count the last 25 years of a HFC firing an Offensive or Defensive Coordinator before a football season ends? Hellsbells, even Utah State with their "zero" win season has stuck with their Offensive Coordinator now haven't they (and even with all the protest of USU Aggie fans and posters).

Granted, we have defense problems most of which were inherited with players of which very little discipline was ever instilled in their day to day existence and players who were recruited to win what the SBC used to be.......yet you still cannot change any of this by tossing out statistics from teams which still only produced 5 wins over 2 seasons. In 50 years, all our UNT football media will still mostly only show wins and losses and that's all.

BUT STILL............if you say you really support Coach Dodge, then support him unconditionally, project to how your support will be with all this when we get our first Top 25 rankings in over 30 years? Isn't it easy to believe that that is Todd Dodge's ultimate goal? If he doesn't think he can get us there, then he won't. If we don't give him (and his staff) the same amount of time DD had to undo what they inherited and build their own program, then aren't we being a bit unfair with this coach as compared to his predeccessor? I also wonder if Boise State fans spent as much time nit-pickin' over things that they had absolutely no control over whatsoever?

GMG.com is like one big, standing-room-only sports bar in many ways. Many times many have had a little too much to drink and then at times, some haven't had near enough to drink, but we still all have our HSO's drink or no drink now don't we? :rolleyes::)

GMG!

ADDENDUM

PS: Why do some persist to still make this 2007 MG defense like it had some real skins to hang on the wall from past performances, ie, that it would suddenly transform into world-beaters after 2 years of not being that at all? Seems the last real test with some still on this defense when it was part of a winning season was in a 2004 bowl game when Southern Miss showed us all who dared to face the reality of our situation just how far behind our football program was with the rest of NCAA D1-A or............how we compared to about 100 plus schools outside the Sun Belt Conference--our former whipping post in its first 4 years of football operation.

This defense is what it is no matter how many of you think that they would suddenly become world-beaters in 2007 when they were not that in 2004 (against non SBC competition), in 2005 & 2006 (against SBC competition) and now 2007. Folks, we are just going to have to build a brand new bridge on a much more solid foundation than was left us.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Casey Fitzgerald was non-existent the last two years. Todd Dodge shows up with a good offensive scheme and Fitz is #4 in the nation in receiving yards. Our Offense is light years better because of COACH Dodge. I believe we have some talent on the defensive side of the ball, we just need a coach who can coach on that side of the ball. Mendoza is not that coach. He is not a defensive guru like Dodge is regarded on the offensive side.

I agree we will need faster, bigger players but you still have to know technique, assignments & ability to read or anticipate and counter it. That comes from coaching.

See you on the 24th!

vvz28-

I never bashed the UNT defensive kids....all I said was that we have sub-standard talent on defense.....they are a step or two too slow. That is my opinion.

Yep, we are going to get more points scored against us when we don't eat up the clock like Coach Dickey's run, run, run offense. To me and others it does not take too much football knowledge that when you pass as much as we currently do the other team is going to have more time to score. I feel a little embarrased to tell you that because I know some of you are college graduates. If Coach Dodge ran the ball as much as Coach Dickey's run offense we all know the scores would be lower but that is not the game plan that Coach Dodge has brought to UNT.

We have a bunch of "TALENTED" freshmen on both sides of the ball......18 & 19 year olds that are pitted against 21, 22 & 23 year olds and they are doing a magnificent job out of high school against seasoned college players.

We have a bunch of defensive players that still had teams run through them last year and the year before last.......that everyone was complaining about......

vvz28 you can not honestly believe that there is NO difference between our having a run oriented offense and the same defensive players and currently a pass oriented offense and our current player and have the same results?

All I see if that the opposition's offense is much faster than our defense.

As far as the adjustments that the "O" and "D" makes at half time.....I am sure that there were some for Coach's Dickey DC and Coach Dodge's DC.

All that I ask everyone is to be patient with "ALL" the coaches because these guys are going to be as good as if not better than Coach Fry's coaching staff.

Oooops, that was 30 years ago and probably not many of you were around to see that transition.....most of you just grew up watching Dickey Ball and have no reference to the past except what is posted on this board.

Trust Coach Dodge he is the real deal.

No, for the obvious reasons mentioned a 1,000 times now. And the only major injuries the team has had that I know of was to Burrus after the Arkansas game, and Mahan, who was sitting and playing sparingly anyways, regardless of the fact that he was third in tackles last year. Brandon Monroe isn't injured and he's been sitting and although he came into this season with over 170 tackles. There's nothing wrong with Germain Dawson or Steve Warren. All three suit up, and sit other than during special teams.

Aaron Weathers, our top tackler the past three years, and the 2nd best DB in the nation in '05 was so poorly placed in our scheme last saturday that he recorded ONE TACKLE. Something tells me it's not his talent that took him out of the game?

Rick

...and your argument "One: Most of it has to do with the offense Coach Dodge is running. Passing does not eat up the clock as fast as run, run, draw play did" is flawed. We controlled the Time of Possesion against Navy, Troy, ULaLa and FAU and STILL lost those games. Defense is on the field less and can't stop anyone.

Actually he is right. They are on the field more, the clock just isn't running like it used to be. They were only out there for 65 plays per game last year, now they are on the field for nearly 74 plays per game. Also, didn't someone post that this year's games are lasting like almost an hour longer than last year's?

I'm sure you are probably well aware that defense was supposed to be the strength of the team going into the season? You probably already know that we returned 10 defensive starters from last season, have now allowed more points than any UNT team since mankind began and we still have 3 games remaining, plus we now allow 25 points more per game than last season with those same players. But we did paint Fouts before the season so that must be the reason; can't be the DC?