What's A Week Without Controversy?

Cooley

While I think young Vizza had a good game, I'm still a Riley Dodge fan and hope that dad will give him every opportunity to win the job next year. The difference in the two? Riley's 4.4 speed and the ability to keep drives alive with his scrambles.

Cooley, you're crazy!!! What game were you watching?

Consider for a moment guys Todd's quarterbacks in years past. Who has not put up monster numbers? Is it the QB or the system? When has the QB's at Texas Tech not put up huge record breaking numbers? With 5 receivers and short passes in the slot, this is heaven for both receivers and quarterbacks.

Wasson

Chase Daniels

Riley Dodge

Daniel Meager (Who saw a school record 601 yards passing out of DM)

G. Vizza

My next controversial question (for a later discussion) is what are we going to do to dramatically improve this defense; when we don't have impact redshirts sitting out nor committments (thus far) from impact High schoolers.

Fire Away!!!

I would almost gurantee Riley Dodge doesn't see the field next year not because of talent but rather a lack of size. The major difference between Vizza this year and Dodge next year, is that Vizza has a D-1 body and Riley dosn't. I saw him up in the stands Sat. and he is small. He is going to need that year and a half in the weight room and cafateria before he is ready to go behind center at the D-1 level

Next year you keep Vizza the starter and have a capable Senior as a backup, and Riley add some poundage. Then in the spring of '08 you should see a great battle for the starting job in '09

While I think young Vizza had a good game, I'm still a Riley Dodge fan and hope that dad will give him every opportunity to win the job next year. The difference in the two? Riley's 4.4 speed and the ability to keep drives alive with his scrambles.

Cooley, you're crazy!!! What game were you watching?

Consider for a moment guys Todd's quarterbacks in years past. Who has not put up monster numbers? Is it the QB or the system? When has the QB's at Texas Tech not put up huge record breaking numbers? With 5 receivers and short passes in the slot, this is heaven for both receivers and quarterbacks.

Wasson

Chase Daniels

Riley Dodge

Daniel Meager (Who saw a school record 601 yards passing out of DM)

G. Vizza

I strongly disagree. How great of a quarterback would Romo would've been had Parcells not held him from playing for those years? He is a better quarterback because of it. Could Riley be better? Yes, it is possible. Is Giovanni a capable quarterback? Yes, decidedly so. Why in the world would you start up a new quarterback controversy when you have a capable quarterback playing now and the chance to bring your young one along to be an even better quarterback in the future?

Riley's size is fine, he is a winner and a heck of a player. I think he will probably red-shirt so that we can have him still here when Vizza leaves. When Vizza is a junior, Rodge will be a RS Freshman. Recruiting wise it is a good position to be in. Rodge said he is coming here to play QB, but don't be surprised if he plays some WR while Vizza is here...he's too good to not put on the field somewhere.

I'm excited about the prospect of red shirting Rodge, letting him fill out and adjust to the college level a little bit, and then having him for 2 full years after Vizza graduates. We want to get to the position where we don't have to run freshman out at QB every year and can bring in mature players when our top QB graduates.

Riley is small!! He is going to have to spend at least a year putting on weight to come any where close to being able to take the hits that Giovanni Vizza has taken this year. He is only around 185 and 5'10 1/2". And during the playing season he drops 7-10 lbs. Look at the weight and height of Chase Daniel and Greg McElroy playing in D1 football programs (and they were already close to what they are now while playing in high school). And Chase Wasson (5'11") wasn't used much as a quarterback at Texas State and definitely hasn't been given the opportunity at Oklahoma.

Fellas, most of our team is considered small by Division 1 standards! Riley will be fine...he's going to be an outstanding QB.

I doubt he'll see a whole lot of time at WR. I mean just look at the Depth Chart. 7 signees in the 2007 class, 5 in the 2008 class, 1 outstanding transfer, Fitzgerald-Rod Johnson-Stickler-Washington all return. It's pretty stockpiled at WR.

Riley is fast and can make things happen with his feet. Is he a 4.4...don't think so. Closer to a 4.6 which is still fast especially for a QB. But, Riley has great football speed and good instincts with the ball in his hands. He's going to be a great college QB, and I couldn't be happier to 'steal him from Texas' and have him wearing Green & White Under Armour for 5 years!

Riley, like Vizza, is tough as nails and very scrappy! Both are great competitors and hate losing.

I'm excited about the prospect of red shirting Rodge, letting him fill out and adjust to the college level a little bit, and then having him for 2 full years after Vizza graduates. We want to get to the position where we don't have to run freshman out at QB every year and can bring in mature players when our top QB graduates.

Perfectly stated.

Todd Reesing

Todd Reesing didn't start as a freshman. He also isn't playing in a novelty offense with no tight ends. Therefore, he's not getting hit every play.

He's also got two running back behind him who each have rushed for over 700 yards this season with at least three games remaining. One will go over 1,000 yards, probably this weekend. The other may do so during their bowl game.

Reesing has the advantage of being led by college coaches who understand the game, not statistics freaks from high school.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch

Todd Reesing didn't start as a freshman. He also isn't playing in a novelty offense with no tight ends. Therefore, he's not getting hit every play.

He's also got two running back behind him who each have rushed for over 700 yards this season with at least three games remaining. One will go over 1,000 yards, probably this weekend. The other may do so during their bowl game.

Reesing has the advantage of being led by college coaches who understand the game, not statistics freaks from high school.

Statistic freaks from high school? :no: Seems we have some of those ourselves who think a defense that didn't fare so well in the SBC in 2005 and 2006 should suddenly be statistical world-beaters this year, ya' think?

BTW, how's that Utah State offense kickin' these days?

Statistic freaks from high school? :no: Seems we have some of those ourselves who think a defense that didn't fare so well in the SBC in 2005 and 2006 should suddenly be statistical world-beaters this year, ya' think?

BTW, how's that Utah State offense kickin' these days?

yup DD defense was giving up 50 pts a game <_< . Wow what a great statistic. Awaiting the next I hate DD and his players rant.

Also nobody is expedcting world beaters but maybe somewhere along the lines of 80-90 in the nation would not be to much to ask, also that 7 pt spread between 118 and 119 is pretty embarassing.

Edited by untbowler

yup DD defense was giving up 50 pts a game <_< . Wow what a great statistic. Awaiting the next I hate DD and his players rant.

Also nobody is expedcting world beaters but maybe somewhere along the lines of 80-90 in the nation would not be to much to ask, also that 7 pt spread between 118 and 119 is pretty embarassing.

You don't have to wait. Simply point out that our defense sucks and Plumm will shadow your each and every post saying you are a DD freak and Utah State fan.

Seems like it would just be easier to recognize and admit that we have a defensive coordinator who doesn't know what he's doing. From trying to man up all night on OU's receivers to having two weeks to prepare for the option and still laying a 572-yard, 74 point-egg, it is plain to everyone except the most ardent Todd Dodge cultists that the guy doesn't understand how to game plan outside of Friday Night Lights.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch

You don't have to wait. Simply point out that our defense sucks and Plumm will shadow your each and every post saying you are a DD freak and Utah State fan.

Seems like it would just be easier to recognize and admit that we have a defensive coordinator who doesn't know what he's doing. From trying to man up all night on OU's receivers to having two weeks to prepare for the option and still laying a 572-yard, 74 point-egg, it is plain to everyone except the most ardent Todd Dodge cultists that the guy doesn't understand how to game plan outside of Friday Night Lights.

And most of us really didn't need this past weekend's game to prove it to us. Be behind Dodge 100%, but to make excuses for a defense that is not even competitive after last season, is too much koolaid. I don't what is so shocking today: 1) the play of our defense, or 2) the lack of some of you who had such problems with DD's offense that seem to have little problems with this current defense.

And most of us really didn't need this past weekend's game to prove it to us. Be behind Dodge 100%, but to make excuses for a defense that is not even competitive after last season, is too much koolaid. I don't what is so shocking today: 1) the play of our defense, or 2) the lack of some of you who had such problems with DD's offense that seem to have little problems with this current defense.

We have problems with it and wish it was better. But this is a first-year HC, whose DC has had his system in place for nine games, versus a 9-year offensive philosophy, which had not worked well for the previous two seasons. I agree there needs to be a change in defensive coordinator, but its not like 5 wins in two seasons.