The Price I Paid Tonight For Being "firefightnrick"

FirefightnRick

I was approached by a member of this staff that through his actions, twice gave me a direct message that I'm obviously THE recognizable and very disliked face of this fan message board by this coaching staff, so much so that immediately afterwards I'm left trying to explain it as best I can to a 6 year old who repeatedly asked me "Daddy, why does that man hate you so much?".

Rick

What the hell? Now he's saying the guy didn't say anything to him? Look at the hornets' nest that he started over this! This whole damn thing is over body language???!!! Rick, if this is true and this coach just refused to shake your hand without taking a compliment, I think it's your responsibility to respond. That's a big difference from being verbally abused. Again, please respond.

I think the more cowardly thing to do would have been to post on this board. Lets see, post on here so that everyone can rip him apart or confront the person in person and let him know how you feel. I give props to the coach for having the balls to do so. He could have pulled him away from his family I agree. But just like the coach is open to criticism so is every person who posts publicly on here. If you dont want to be called out and be humilitated by the coaches watch what you say.

To the coaches: Keep up the good work and continue to persevere. Do not worry what is posted on here as you know more about what is going on then everyone on here.

Here's the big difference. The coach gets paid by the university to do what he does. Rick GIVES his time, devotion, and money to the university.

Guest JohnDenver

Somebody on the UNT staff acts like a jackass to a loyal fan in front of his six-year-old child, and the lesson we're supposed to take from it is to clean up our act?

What's going on here? Does GoMeanGreen welcome the strong opinions of fans on UNT sports, or are we supposed to moderate our comments for fear of ruffling some feathers among the coaches, players and staff? As far as I'm concerned, they're fortunate this place is around, and it doesn't make sense to read so many people here sounding defensive for what other people post here. It's a fan board. The shrinking violets among the UNT athletic department should avoid the place if they can't handle hearing what's on our minds.

No one is sounding defensive. Those were Rick's words ... not mine.

Also, as far as I know GMG doesn't have an official voice. Therefore no admin really can dictate the direction of conversation completely. I guess I could have deleted the thread ;) But then that would be doing what you accuse me of..

Anyhow, Rick has a point.

Some people see this as a community of people that know one another. I know half the people on here... if I throw out some HSO, they know who really said it and where I sit.

Other people see it as a place to practice their schtik. Make jokes. Poke the trolls. Cause flames.

Other people just come here to see what is going on with UNT football without having to read the newspapers and rarely (often times never) post.

Now..

For the third group, how can you tell the difference between the first two?

I think that was Rick's point. He is a face in the crowd that most people recognize. So beware of what you say and remember that this is a community. It isn't too easy to remain anonymous if you are one of the fans that goes to away games, goes to the banquet, goes to all the bowl games, basketball, scrimmages, etc.

My post, nor Rick's was a call to arms to rile the dogs or to shout the masses. It was just informative.

What he did do was walk very purposefully toward Rick as if he were going to physically attack him.

What you have described is a much more serious incident than I first thought. Greenminer you get your wish, I don't have 1000 posts and I won't post anymore about this incident. This needs to be addressed at a higher level than a message board.

After talking with Rick about this incident, let me clear up something.

According to Rick, the coach in question did not say a word to Rick. What he did do was walk very purposefully toward Rick as if he were going to physically attack him. When he didn't attack him, Rick (still stunned by the look on the coach's face and his body language) said "good game coach" and offered to shake the coach's hand. The offer was not accepted by the coach, and while still staring at Rick in a threatening/angry manner, he walked away.

Rick's son watched the whole incident and then ask Rick why that man was mad at him.

This is still a very classless act on the part of the coach in question.

I offer this clarification, because Illuvius32 and I were (as we shared a beer during tailgating) laughing and remembering my "incident" two years ago. Illuvius32 commented that by the time the story gets told (and re-told) a few years from now, the person telling the story will have me and Coach Flannigan up in the stands fighting with light sabers.

I saw everything from my seat in the stands, once the coach started walking away, Rick started to walk towards him and the coach took off like a little kid as he ran away looking back to see if Rick was coming.

Sorry it happened FFR, no fan deserves to be treated that way.

Guest Aquila_Viridis

I'm not going to condone anyone going around in a 'threatening manner'. However, Rick you like many others here were opely critical about the defensive coach's decisions. Certainly that particular person, and probably some of the others, are not going to greet you with a smile as a result. From what has been explained about what happened, I don't think it would take them unfairly attributing others' statements on here to you, because of what you yourself said on here.

You do happen to be the most recognizable fan of NT. However, I do not necessarily take from this, that you were singled out as sort of a representative of all critical fans. That may have been in that person's mind, but they may have been acting just on what you said.

I agree with the others that ideally the person would just ignore it and not make a show, or instead show apprecation for all that you do to support NT. But I would ask those same people, would you have that restraint in the heat of the moment? Maybe, maybe not.

If you're going to say, well let's not incite things on here, then this board loses a key purpose. The more I think about this, the more confused I am about why this incident was mentioned here. Maybe one could say the person acted unprofessionally. I don't know. I didn't see it. However, I do know that I don't expect these people to be held to the same standard of corporate 'office conduct' that people in a desk job are, especially not on the field right before, during or right after a competitive sporting event.

I think the more cowardly thing to do would have been to post on this board. Lets see, post on here so that everyone can rip him apart or confront the person in person and let him know how you feel. I give props to the coach for having the balls to do so. He could have pulled him away from his family I agree. But just like the coach is open to criticism so is every person who posts publicly on here. If you dont want to be called out and be humilitated by the coaches watch what you say.

Way to write an excuse for the coach's actions. <_< Care to attach your name to this statement since you're all about anyone and everyone getting called out onto the carpet? :disgust:

Sean Hiatt

BCIS c/o 2003.

I'm not going to condone anyone going around in a 'threatening manner'. However, Rick you like many others here were opely critical about the defensive coach's decisions. Certainly that particular person, and probably some of the others, are not going to greet you with a smile as a result. From what has been explained about what happened, I don't think it would take them unfairly attributing others' statements on here to you, because of what you yourself said on here.

You do happen to be the most recognizable fan of NT. However, I do not necessarily take from this, that you were singled out as sort of a representative of all critical fans. That may have been in that person's mind, but they may have been acting just on what you said.

I agree with the others that ideally the person would just ignore it and not make a show, or instead show apprecation for all that you do to support NT. But I would ask those same people, would you have that restraint in the heat of the moment? Maybe, maybe not.

If you're going to say, well let's not incite things on here, then this board loses a key purpose. The more I think about this, the more confused I am about why this incident was mentioned here. Maybe one could say the person acted unprofessionally. I don't know. I didn't see it. However, I do know that I don't expect these people to be held to the same standard of corporate 'office conduct' that people in a desk job are, especially not on the field right before, during or right after a competitive sporting event.

Great Post!

Tony Barone

FFR, you are a class act. We read your posts and you are a fan's fan. You contribute more effort to this program than most of us ever could. Sorry you had to go through that and hopefully the classless bastard will be dealt with. We all get carried away with our expectations, but things need to be put into perspective. No coach or administrator needs to act this way. DD, Flannigan or whoever else have all moved on and our input, to them, means nothing and at some point we will see the current staff and/or certain members of it move on. Our input to them will mean nothing, someday. But, we as fans, will still be here.

Something tells me that the "GoMeanGreen.com" airplane banner isn't happening anymore...

Seriously, though...maybe it's time that the current staff be given the same direction DD ultimately had to give concerning this site--Just don't read it.

At the end of the day, this is a fan message board. This site does FAR more good for UNT than bad.

Guest Aquila_Viridis

Seriously, though...maybe it's time that the current staff be given the same direction DD ultimately had to give concerning this site--Just don't read it.

Yeah, well, look where that got him!

Obviously a very classless act on the part of the coach involved for acting like a sixth grade kid with a chip on his shoulder, but I will say that at least one good thing may have come out of this incident. At least we now know that the coaches are reading this board. Kind of makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside that my (our) posts here can POSSIBLY have some kind of an influence on what goes on in our athletic department and beyond. MORE POWER TO YA BOARD MEMBERS!!! :)

My question is weather the board makes a postive or negative contribution. I believe that was what FFR was talking about. He had to take the heat for others who post with less thought. Think about what you post on here cause it does affect OUR situation at North Texas. Just think about what you are posting and dont post impaired. That would be a PWI.

shutter

like many others have mentioned, we are way to sensitive here at North Texas, these coaches at 90% of the other Div I schools would be raked across the coals and all we have for the most part is snapped their wrists with a wooden ruler comparitively. It now seems pretty obvious that the coaching staff appears to be just as sensitive as the many of the posters on this site and choose to take a circle the wagon approach rather than accepting any sort of criticism, whether constructive or not. Of course we are North Texas and many still make it seem as if we are a charity case and must be handled gently since our egos are so fragile.

Go Mean Green!!!

Guest JohnDenver

I feel all that can be said has been said. Please don't open this thread up again.

Wait to see if anything is handled later this week by the staff or admin..