The Price I Paid Tonight For Being "firefightnrick"

FirefightnRick

I'm simply posting this to remind those here exactly why we should all try and post as best we can with responsibility as the admins have asked us to.

I know that I chose long ago to be a publicly recognized face who happens to post on this board and I accept full responsibility for it. I wouldn't change the past for anything because its helped me meet so many wonderful people, in fact I met about 10 more of you today, and its given me the chance to be a part of countless positive things that have gone on at North Texas over the years. But after what happened to me and my family tonight I'm starting to question that decision?

Unlike many here on GMG.com, as far as I can think back, I don't recall calling for anyone on this coaching staff's head over the course of this season leading up to tonights game against ULM. I don't believe I have been extremely harsh at all but have simply stated I wanted to see adjustments after watching the OU, SMU, FAU and AU games IN PERSON. And I certainly have not called out players in any critical way, if in any way at all that I can recall. But immediately after the game and as always, we took the kids down onto the field to tell the players "good game", to watch the fireworks, and to let the kids play a bit before the long drive home. But somehow a win over Louisiana Monroe justified someones release of tension after what has obviously been a very stressfull season by this coaching staff so far, because out of no where I was approached by a member of this staff that through his actions, twice gave me a direct message that I'm obviously THE recognizable and very disliked face of this fan message board by this coaching staff, so much so that immediately afterwards I'm left trying to explain it as best I can to a 6 year old who repeatedly asked me "Daddy, why does that man hate you so much?".

This is twice now for me by a paid member of a North Texas coaching staff. Not sure I'll give anyone another chance to make it a third?

P.S. I hope everyone enjoyed "Boomer" The Cannon tonight. I know we did. The crew from Talons took it upon themselves to work hard this week in order to deliver as we asked them to and I think they did a great job and I'm proud of them.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

I wish that wasn't something you had to deal with, especially since you're not at any level officially responsible for what we say here on this board. I know the "fire Mendoza" campaign was pretty fierce on this board, but there's no reason you should be the lightning rod for it, especially when the campaign, to this point, has been proven wrong. I think that a majority of the members here were not among the group asking for Coach Mendoza's resignation, just asking for him to finally produce in a tangible fashion.

But, Boomer sounded incredible, and the game tonight was something amazing.

I'm simply posting this to remind those here exactly why we should all try and post as best we can with responsibility as the admins have asked us to.

I know that I chose long ago to be a publicly recognized face who happens to post on this board and I accept full responsibility for it. I wouldn't change the past for anything because its helped me meet so many wonderful people, in fact I met about 10 more of you today, and its given me the chance to be a part of countless positive things that have gone on at North Texas over the years. But after what happened to me and my family tonight I'm starting to question that decision?

Unlike many here on GMG.com, as far as I can think back, I don't recall calling for anyone on this coaching staff's head over the course of this season leading up to tonights game against ULM. I don't believe I have been extremely harsh at all but have simply stated I wanted to see adjustments after watching the OU, SMU, FAU and AU games IN PERSON. And I certainly have not called out players in any critical way, if in any way at all that I can recall. But immediately after the game and as always, we took the kids down onto the field to tell the players "good game", to watch the fireworks, and to let the kids play a bit before the long drive home. But somehow a win over Louisiana Monroe justified someones release of tension after what has obviously been a very stressfull season by this coaching staff so far, because out of no where I was approached by a member of this staff that through his actions, twice gave me a direct message that I'm obviously THE recognizable and very disliked face of this fan message board by this coaching staff, so much so that immediately afterwards I'm left trying to explain it as best I can to a 6 year old who repeatedly asked me "Daddy, why does that man hate you so much?".

This is twice now for me by a paid member of a North Texas coaching staff. Not sure I'll give anyone another chance to make it a third?

P.S. I hope everyone enjoyed "Boomer" The Cannon tonight. I know we did. The crew from Talons took it upon themselves to work hard this week in order to deliver as we asked them to and I think they did a great job and I'm proud of them.

Rick

If the person you are talking about is who I think you're talking about, that's about as classless as I can think of for a person in that position. Pretty sad when people can't take a little constructive criticism. MOST criticism on this board comes from a love of our school and a desire to see, and possibly influence, positive change in what we may see at a particular time as a problem with our athletic programs. That's what this board is all about! Posting positives AND negatives! From what I recall, you have been pretty passive and constructive in your analysis of what has been going on with our defense this season. Probably a lot less critical than I. BOL, and we did enjoy "Boomer" tonight! Nice and loud!! :)

FR -

Thank you for your continued support and being one of the greatest Mean Green fans of all time. The truth is long after any of these coaches are gone you will still be supporting the Mean Green.

Rick V and Todd D -

You need to remind all of your coaches that they chose a profession that is open to public scrutiny and if they can not take the comments of the fans then stay off the boards. Would this same coach be willing to make himself available after the next loss to listen to the fans input?

Knox Johnson

Class of '86

Would this same coach be willing to make himself available after the next loss to listen to the fans input?

I'd rather see this same coach suspended. I don't care who he is (or who he thinks he is).

Say what you will about Rick...he was here before these guys got here and will be here long afterwards.

This is completely unacceptable, and the staff member who dressed you down in front of your kid couldn't be more wrong. You've been fair in your remarks about the team here on GoMeanGreen.Com, and your support of UNT athletics for 20 years has been exemplary. Dr. Bataille's email address is presweb@pres.admin.unt.edu. I sent her an email about this situation this morning, because I think you're owed an apology and the staff member needs a refresher course in how to treat fans.

Leave it to UNT to snatch defeat from the jaws of our first victory. If Coach Dodge has anything to do with this, and it's not some jerk who should have been shown the door along with Coach Dickey, I'm going to be sick.

If the person you are talking about is who I think you're talking about, that's about as classless as I can think of for a person in that position. Pretty sad when people can't take a little constructive criticism. MOST criticism on this board comes from a love of our school and a desire to see, and possibly influence, positive change in what we may see at a particular time as a problem with our athletic programs.

I said this back when Flanagan screamed at the fan in the stands last year, and it's even more true today. Anyone on UNT's football staff who thinks the scrutiny they're getting in Denton is tough isn't cut out for Division I-A college football. They'd be eaten alive at a big school like the ones here in Florida.

I'm not sure what is going on but remember WE are the University of North Texas and this is OUR University. Never apologize for what you thing or what your opinoin is. I will always support you. We want the best for the University and nothing else matters. GMG. Todd

That's what I've been saying for years.

And I'll repeat what I said to Coach Dickey when he personally called me to apologize for his coach's behavior.

If anyone at the North Texas athletic department (administrative or coaching staff) think they have a stressful job, then they need to leave and try working at any of the B-12, B-10 or SEC schools. Overall, North Texas fans are the most friendly, non-aggressive, and respectful fans you will ever come across. I have never heard of a North Texas fan calling Coaches and/or athletic personel on the phone and harassing them. I've never heard of NT fans putting for sale signs in Coach's yards, or writing and/or vandalizing their personal vehicles. Compared to Texas Tech, A$M and OU fans, North Texas fans are choir boys/girls. Yes, we yell our disapproval, and yes, we are a bunch of smart-asses.......well most of us anyway :rolleyes:. But compared to the Baylor fans who post on their fan board, we are the most christian fans you will ever come across.

And BTW, I don't like this incident at all. :angry:

I said this back when Flanagan screamed at the fan in the stands last year, and it's even more true today. Anyone on UNT's football staff who thinks the scrutiny they're getting in Denton is tough isn't cut out for Division I-A college football. They'd be eaten alive at a big school like the ones here in Florida.

Sorry to here you were treated this way rick, it is absolutely unprofessional by anyone in the Athletic's Department to do this. Lets hope more happens this year compared to the "non-issue" they let Flanigan play out.

Unbelievable! It never ceases to amaze me how thin-skinned some of these people are. Rick, as usual, you show an amaizing amount of class by not calling this person out by name, even though he obviously has none by dressing you down in front of your kid. Coach, you need your ass kicked for that. What a coward! Just remember, these guys are only here until they land that next job. So Coach, suck it up and just get the job done and everything will be fine. In the meantime, Rick you are the epitome of class and have done more for this university than most of us could even think of doing. You didn't deserve that.

Smetimes, it aint easy to be Mean Green.

Coaches,

I understand you're upset at criticism on this fan board. Yes, we fans sometimes say stupid things. That's the nature of fanatics. We knee-jerk, we mouth off, we boo when we shouldn't.

But we're there. Almost 20,000 of us were there last night cheering wildly for an 0-5 team. An 0-5 team that was playing a 1-5 team. That's an amazing attendance for this program, and that shows a remarkable level of support and devotion.

I'm sure you would you rather have fans who don't criticize. Who don't knee-jerk. But those are fans who don't care. AND WHO DON'T SHOW UP. Would you rather have had 8,000 people attend Saturday? That is the kind of fan base that get coaches fired.

Instead, despite losing, despite increased ticket prices, and despite an open-ended promise to someday replace a miserable football stadium, fans like Rick have eagerly given you support that quite frankly has not yet been EARNED. We are extending you fan credit, and trusting and believing and praying that you will make good.

You are public figures. BY YOUR OWN CHOICE you are public figures because you selected a profession which involves asking people to pay money to watch your public performance. And just like any other public performer, that means criticism is a part of your job. You don't want to get criticized? Then go do any of the mundane but very necessary jobs of your paying fans, fans who have to dig deep into their very limited budgets to shell out money to allow you to do your job. Better yet, go do Rick's job. Try putting your LIFE on the line instead of your coaching reputation (and I'll bet for less money than you are currently earning while coaching a child's game).

Rick, you've shown great restraint. You didn't say exactly what happened, or who did it. You've shown this individual more respect than he showed you. And you are owed an apology.

Tsk tsk. Talk about letting one win go to your head.

I think last night we saw what happens when the defensive athletes we have are finally properly applied. It only took six games.

Rick - I think this is obviously the result of someone being jealous of your success at NT.

To the unnamed coach - man up. If you have something to say to this board, say it here. Otherwise, don't spoil the best night of your players' season.

FFR,

This angers me beyond belief. I won't go into a long rant since everyone here has made excellent statements, but whoever this coach is, he better grow a pair because we're NOT backing down from unacceptable performances.

So what the hell did this particular coach think? "Aw, they're just little nobody North Texas. Noone gives a crap about them or their football program. I'll just walk in and do whatever the hell I want with little accountability." Who the hell does he think he is? :angry: :angry: :angry:

We're a D1 program, get out if you can't handle it.

Edited by Got5onIt

Incredible. I think you should identify the person involved, he certainly does not deserve any consideration in this manner and in fact keeping him anonymous only casts a poor light on the rest of the staff. I had hoped this "we against the world" tactic was a thing of the past. Where in the world including the lowest level of high school football would a defense that ranks absolutely last in almost every category not be subject to a lot of criticism. Hopefully the defense is going to build on it's success last night, but one good game against a bad team does not mean that the defense has arrived. My personal opinion is that the learning curb for the defensive coaches has been as great or greater than most of the players.

I don't know how many watched the player reporter review after the Arkansas game, it was brutal. Holman, Jackson and Meager showed a lot of class answering reporter's question with the basic theme of how could a college team be as bad as NT. Apparently at least one staff member could learn from the players' "How to take it like a man with class" conduct in that interview.

I am sorry that Rick had to go through this experience

I don't think this thread should be in the open forum section on the board.

Can it do any good?

As I see it can cause more harm then good, and could drive negativity between this fan board and the current coaching staff.

For those sounding off, Rick did not give any particulars not that I doubt Rick in any way, but there are two sides to every story. Going off half cocked is never a good idea.

Guest JohnDenver

Can it do any good?

It has potential.

Yet Rick opened with his main message: "I'm simply posting this to remind those here exactly why we should all try and post as best we can with responsibility as the admins have asked us to."

I don't think he was trying to trash the coach, maybe he was, but that isn't how I took it.

Rick was reminding that posting opinions comes with some responsibility and unfortunately he sometimes pays the price for some others' jackassery.

I am sorry that Rick had to go through this experience

Can it do any good?

As I see it can cause more harm then good, and could drive negativity between this fan board and the current coaching staff.

For those sounding off, Rick did not give any particulars not that I doubt Rick in any way, but there are two sides to every story. Going off half cocked is never a good idea.

I agree with the basics of your statement, but considering that the individual in question chose to confront Rick in the extremely public forum of an open-air stadium surrounded by people and in front of Rick's child, then this very much belongs in a open forum. If the individual involved wished this to be private, he should have spoken to Rick in a private, respectful manner.

And I think this thread can do some good: it can remind all of us - coaches and fans - of the consequences of very public commentary.

i agree with the sentiments on here... first of all, i still think Mendoza should be fired. I was suprised to read yesterday that he had 2 years of 5A experience before we hired him at D1. sorry i haven't been on the board in a while.... the thing that bothers me the most about this kind of incident is that even though we have made incredible strides the last few months, things like this make us still look like a second class D1 team. coaches yelling at fans because of something they said on a internet message board? go back to high school...

Thought about commenting on this one, but sometimes it is just better to talk to the parties involved privately.

Look forward to catching up with you soon, FFR.

Scott Campbell

I would expect that given Dodges' emphasis on creating a family (on the team, staff, and among fans as well), that we will not see a public dressing down of any coach. That does not mean that this cannot or will not be resolved in a satisfactory manner. I just expect that any resolution will be done privately among those involved.

A very unfortunate incident, but let's hope it is taken care of appropriately and is the last incident of its kind.

Go Mean Green!

Lee Hughes

Rick shouldnt have to apologize for anything he has said or any opinions he has expressed. It's DIVISION 1 FOOTBALL. This is the highest level of college football. There is a lot of money in the business now, and for better or worse, coaches will be heavily scrutinized (fairly and unfairly).

No matter how you slice it, coaches confronting fans based on their concerns/opinions/nonsense expressed on a freaking message board is BUSH LEAGUE.

i agree with the sentiments on here... first of all, i still think Mendoza should be fired. I was suprised to read yesterday that he had 2 years of 5A experience before we hired him at D1. sorry i haven't been on the board in a while.... the thing that bothers me the most about this kind of incident is that even though we have made incredible strides the last few months, things like this make us still look like a second class D1 team. coaches yelling at fans because of something they said on a internet message board? go back to high school...

Agree. Nothing could look more "bush league" than this.

Sorry you had to go through that Rick. Especially with your kid standing right there.