Big Ten Network Has Conference Thinking Expansion

MeanGreen61

Big Ten Network has conference thinking expansion — again

Posted 11h 45m ago

By Randy Peterson, Des Moines Register

The creation of the Big Ten Network means conference officials likely will discuss expansion again, Commissioner Jim Delany said Wednesday.

"I think we need to look at it in the next year," he said during a wide-ranging interview with Register reporters.

Adding a 12th team likely will be revisited because of the network, which is scheduled to launch Aug. 30, Delany said. An additional big-name university in a large television market means more exposure for the network and its sponsors.

"It changes to some extent how you think about it," Delany said of expansion. "The broader (the network) is distributed, the more value (expansion) has.

"We have eight states. With expansion, you could have nine."

Said Iowa football coach Kirk Ferentz: "If it makes sense — if the right institution was interested — I think there would be consideration given."

The conference looked toward Notre Dame when exploring expanding to 12 teams in 1999 but the Irish chose to remain a football independent.

"There was great value there," Delany said of Notre Dame's national appeal. "There aren't many universities that produce that kind of value."

Rutgers and Syracuse could be universities at whom the Big Ten looks.

"Wherever," Delany said when asked about specifics. "With the network — there's a different element. It changes the dynamics."

In football, a 12th university could mean two divisions and a postseason playoff.

"Any television executive would do whatever they could to be able to air a game like the Big Ten championship," said Mark Silverman, Big Ten Network president. "It would be worth a considerable amount of value.

"Fans would take to something of that nature if it were in the best interest of the conference."

Coaches think otherwise, said Ferentz.

"I've not met anybody in coaching that really enjoys it," Ferentz said of the divisional playoff format.

"There's a lot of downside to it, in my opinion."

Among the concerns are playing an additional game and the potential of missing out on a BCS bowl if you lose the conference title game.

But expansion could also result in a large conference without divisions.

"I'm agnostic," Delany said. "I could live with two divisions and a championship game, but I think that has a tendency to devalue the season-ending game and have a negative impact on your losing team in season-ending games.

"I don't want us to tear ourselves apart over the structure of football for the sake of expansion."

Nor does Ferentz.

"If it makes sense — if the right institution was interested — I think there would be consideration given," he said.

Delany cautioned against rushing to add a 12th school.

"You have to build a network that has value first," Delany said. "You don't expand it until you have it built.

"Until we have a fully distributed network in the eight states, then you have a value and then you can look at expansion.

"Every time you make a major adjustment in the Big Ten, there's a gestation period. You have to allow one set of efforts to settle in, and then catch a breath."

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/foo...expansion_N.htm

Edited by MeanGreen61

An additional university in a large television market means more exposure for the network and its sponsors.

"The broader (the network) is distributed, the more value (expansion) has.

"We have eight states. With expansion, you could have nine."

UNT? Large media market and a new state for the Big 10! :)

Guest GrayEagleOne

UNT? Large media market and a new state for the Big 10! :)

Dang, that Todd Dodge is good. He's already made us a big name university in just seven months.

Among the concerns are playing an additional game and the potential of missing out on a BCS bowl if you lose the conference title game.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/foo...expansion_N.htm

This shouldn't be a concern. Nebraska and Oklahoma have each had their tails handed to them in conference title games but still made the BCS championship game.

Oh, and mark my words.....It's Syracuse that's going to the Big 10. It fits the conference Great Lakes footprint, especially since the addition of Penn State, and it also delivers the eastern market.

It's not going to be us. Ridiculous. Even if this does actually happen - all just speculation right now - it's not regionally sensical for UNT. It would have some trickle affect (effect? bah I'll never get it right! :rolleyes:) and we'd get nudged up to an upper-mid-major (ugh, I typed that). Possibly a BCS conference? Not so sure...

For now I'm just going to enjoy the ride that Dodge and the Belt are going to provide. And work on my typingg scillz.

Edited by greenminer

This shouldn't be a concern. Nebraska and Oklahoma have each had their tails handed to them in conference title games but still made the BCS championship game.

Oh, and mark my words.....It's Syracuse that's going to the Big 10. It fits the conference Great Lakes footprint, especially since the addition of Penn State, and it also delivers the eastern market.

So Syracuse moves and stats a split in the Big east of BB only schools

The Big East raids C-USA East schools

UTEP heads to the Mountain West

Belt and C-USA merge (with the exception of 1 or 2 teams that head to MAC)

Guest GrayEagleOne

If I were picking, my choice today would be West Virginia. Their average attendance is about 20,000 more than Rutgers or Syracuse. They have one of the best coaches in college football. They are a part of the large Pittsburgh TV market. They were the 9th best team in the nation last year.

That move could potentially wreck the Big East as a football conference. There is no replacement (other than Notre Dame) that could keep the Big East as one of the Big 6. They would likely go to nine by taking in UCF and East Carolina. Would those two plus Pittssburgh, Louisville, Rutgers, Syracuse, Cincinnati, Connecticut and USF be enough to maintain their automatic status? I don't know.

That would then cause a major upheaval in C-USA which could in turn impact the Belt and maybe the WAC. It seems that nothing's easy anymore.

They'll probably invite South Florida. After all, SF has been on the fast track more than anyone over the past ten years. Have they even had a football program that long? Seems like they just got into football 7-8 years ago.

I say this "tongue and cheek", but you never know.

They'll probably invite South Florida. After all, SF has been on the fast track more than anyone over the past ten years. Have they even had a football program that long? Seems like they just got into football 7-8 years ago.

I say this "tongue and cheek", but you never know.

They've only had a team since 97 and moved to D1 in 2001. They have taken some big steps in a very short time I don't know it the Big 10 would look that far south for a new team.

So Syracuse moves and stats a split in the Big east of BB only schools

The Big East raids C-USA East schools

UTEP heads to the Mountain West

Belt and C-USA merge (with the exception of 1 or 2 teams that head to MAC)

I think Big 10 is a couple years at least from thinking seriously about expansion but Syracuse and Rutgers would be logical choices, I'd expect Syracuse because of longer record of success in football and basketball.

I'm not sure though that there aren't a few schools that the Big 10 could lure away. There had been noise about Nebraska. They don't bring much media market but a crazed fan base spread across several states that will pay any price to see them on TV. Missouri has the academic fit and in theory two television markets of note (St. Louis and KC). Kentucky or Louisville could be in the mix though I don't think Louisville would get Big 10 attention, UK might because they two have a dispersed fan base that will pay any price to watch UK basketball. Maryland would be a school that could get a look they have a decent following in DC and Baltimore. Virginia not quite as attractive in market but if they had a chance to bail after having Va.Tech forced down their throat.

Something on those lines could create an interesting situation.

If the ACC were lose a team they would almost certainly focus on Syracuse or Louisville. If the SEC lost a team I think they would look hard at Louisville or Virginia Tech. The Big 12 would probably call Arkansas first but I don't know that they would be receptive. After that pickings get slim. Utah doesn't have the following that BYU has but BYU's schedule policy isn't compatible with the Big 12. Then you are looking at a TCU or Houston.

My head hurts.

Barring an almost complete revamping of almost every conference (possibly excluding the SEC and PAC-10) the only school the Big 10 would ever had would be Notre Dame, and ND would be insane to start sharing BCS bowl revenue with the conference.

The Big 10 is taking us a new direction. They own their own sports channel and have dumped the ESPN agreement that had several morning games running on the various regional sports nets. They may still sell some games that way but may hold some back to increase demand for the Big 10 Channel.

If an expansion team can increase the profitability of the B10 Channel they may rethink expansion, but its still way too early to make decisions based on the channel.

There had been noise about Nebraska. They don't bring much media market but a crazed fan base spread across several states that will pay any price to see them on TV.

I wouldn't count on Nebraska ever leaving the Big XII. Besides the fact that they have been in that conference for a LONG time, they aren't going to leave a conference where they play all their big rivals every year. Why give up a yearly heated rivalry with Colorado, KSU, and Missouri? They are far too established to leave where they are. I doubt that any Big XII (that the Big 10 wants) team is real interested in leaving. Iowa State may be interested, but I don't think the (increasingly inaccurately named) Big 10 is.

The Big 10 is taking us a new direction. They own their own sports channel and have dumped the ESPN agreement that had several morning games running on the various regional sports nets. They may still sell some games that way but may hold some back to increase demand for the Big 10 Channel.

If an expansion team can increase the profitability of the B10 Channel they may rethink expansion, but its still way too early to make decisions based on the channel.

This could be the future. How long before the Big 12, Big East, SEC, et al start having their own channels too? It's all revenue based and if they can beat the ESPN deals I think they'll do it. Large media-market programs will be considered a premium for expansion luring.

Unless the Big 10 starts having some better luck getting cable systems signed up, they may be the only conference with a channel.

As I mentioned to someone else, why you want to start from scratch? In the Little Rock area we get Fox SW and CSS with most packages and then can add more Fox Channels. In Louisiana many cable customers already get Fox South and either Cox Louisiana or CSS. In Florida you could potentially have Sun Sports, Fox Florida, and CSS.

I know in Colorado they get Fox Rocky Mountain and Alititude. Why try to break into these deals where many cable customers already have 2 regional sports nets, plus the demand for ESPN, ESPN2 and the whole mess over ESPN U and CSTV. It used to be that one regional would have one or more MLB team, NBA and NHL. Now its pretty common for the local pros to be split among at least two channels.

If I were commissioner of the SEC, why would I want to start my own channel from scratch? With an NBA team you will have maybe 60 games available that are of interest in that local market. But if you are the SEC during league play you have six games each weekend. One is going to CBS, one maybe two is going to ESPN. You are going to build a channel around three games that CBS and ESPN have already said thanks but no thanks to AND give up my lucrative one or two syndicated games shown on TV stations all across the market over the air, no cable needed? In the SEC's shoes I'd come closer to buying an interest in a channel like CSS than trying to start from scratch with a channel that has zero live SEC games in any sport in May, June, July, and August.

You kown, if all this pans out, there could be a bigger prize than CUSA.

With the new Big 10 TV network, I am sure the Big 12 is looking at this

developing media avenue also. The Big 12 bosses see the $$$ generated.

The DFW mertoplex is one of the nations largest TV market areas, and one

of the nations best talent locations for recruiting. I think North Texas is going

to be at the right place at the right time, when the next conference raids take

place. Here is some speculation for you-

The Big 10 raids the Big 12 for example, Missouri and Iowa State. The Big 12 needs

two teams (heck they may want to just stay at 10 teams also), so if I were

the Big 12 boss, and I see the $$$ for the DFW market+recruiting, I would

seriously look at North Texas and TCU joining into the Big 12. If the big bosses

want to really jump into TV marketing, add Rice and Houston for the Houston

market area. The Big 14? Like I said, just speculation--or is it?

If Missouri is added, look for the Big XII to go real hard at Arkansas. And, Arkansas just might jump. The distribution difference b/w the SEC and the Big XII is only about a million per school...which is big bucks to us, but not to Arkansas. If Arkansas said no, the Big XII would be in a REAL bind. Tulsa and TCU have all the makings to be just like Baylor...the Big XII is certainly not interested in that. As stated before, Utah doesn't have the following of BYU, but BYU would be too hard to work with. A dark-horse candidate could be Colorado State.

If the Big XII added anyone from the MWC, the MWC would likely go after Boise, Fresno, Nevada, and UTEP (in that order). If any of the WAC teams jumped, a spot would be open in the WAC. If that spot didn't go to an eastern team, Tech would likely start looking SERIOUSLY at a new conference.

Most other scenarios end up raiding CUSA...again.

And, ND would NEVER join the Big 10 voluntarily. Unless the NCAA mandates that they join a conference, it won't happen. No TV deal is worth splitting their money.

And, ND would NEVER join the Big 10 voluntarily. Unless the NCAA mandates that they join a conference, it won't happen. No TV deal is worth splitting their money.

Not to mention that ND has their own broadcast network...NBC. They aren't giving up a deal that has them constantly nationally broadcast for an occasional regional broadcast. ND shouldn't even be entered in the conversation, even though that is who the Big 10 really wants.

Not to mention that ND has their own broadcast network...NBC. They aren't giving up a deal that has them constantly nationally broadcast for an occasional regional broadcast. ND shouldn't even be entered in the conversation, even though that is who the Big 10 really wants.

Agreed...but I have a hard time believing that the Big 10 is considering expanding simply for the sake of expanding, or reaching a balance schedule with 12 schools. The only adventagous move for the Big 10 would be Notre Dame...100% NBC money; 100% BCS Bowl Game money vs. 1/12 Big 10 network money; 1/12 of six or seven bowl games, one or two BCS games...hmmmm...I think I'll stick with option one and just go ahead with the ND master plan, also known as the Midas Plan of making all the buildings on campus lined with solid gold.