Can You Help A Visitor Out?

caliuntfan

Evyn is on campus and has been for a week and half now training hard and getting acclimated to the humidity and heat. "Workouts are very tough", but he's not hearing any complaining, "hard work each and every day is the only way our team will continue to build strength and speed going into camp at the same time I am still getting used to my new playing environment". He tells me that Denton is a really chill place to hang out and he is so grateful to be in such an exciting football environment. Personally, I am looking forward to coming out and seeing a few games, let me in on what I can expect, best place to stay, best restraunt in town, and besides watching the mean green crush their opponents what other attractions are there to experience? I have already learned the fight song and all of the other traditions and look forward to putting them to good use during the games.

Whatever you do, make sure you get a grasp of at least a portion of the music scene in Denton. Rock, jazz, experimental, heck even a recital in the College of Music...as much as you can.

Have you ever been to Texas before? Get some Shiner Bock.

old thread

Guardian article on Denton scene

Popmatters article

Edited by greenminer

Whatever you do, make sure you get a grasp of at least a portion of the music scene in Denton. Rock, jazz, experimental, heck even a recital in the College of Music...as much as you can.

Have you ever been to Texas before? Get some Shiner Bock.

http://www.gomeangreen.com/forums/index.ph...ton+music+scene

Guardian article on Denton scene

Popmatters article

That's what I'm talking about a cold beer and some great music after a huge win? Heck I may never leave. I have, I've been to dallas and the carrollton area three times I enjoy the dallas scene alot.

Edited by caliuntfan

In my opinion, Denton has some of the best grub in the world. Make sure you eat some Mexican and Texas barbecue. For a little hole-in-the-wall, Mazatlan (on University Drive just east of the TWU golf course) has some good cheap Mexican food. I have spent very limited time in Denton in the past 7+ years, so other than that, I'm a little out of touch on what the best places are now. If State Club is still open (on Fry St. adjacent to campus), their chicken tenders are worth a stop.

In my opinion, Denton has some of the best grub in the world. Make sure you eat some Mexican and Texas barbecue. For a little hole-in-the-wall, Mazatlan (on University Drive just east of the TWU golf course) has some good cheap Mexican food. I have spent very limited time in Denton in the past 7+ years, so other than that, I'm a little out of touch on what the best places are now. If State Club is still open (on Fry St. adjacent to campus), their chicken tenders are worth a stop.

State Club is now Jimmie Johns sandwhiches.

That's what I'm talking about a cold beer and some great music after a huge win? Heck I may never leave. I have, I've been to dallas and the carrollton area three times I enjoy the dallas scene alot.

The Fry Street Tavern is a great place to go after the game for beers and to catch the late football games.

Sweetwater Sweetwater Sweetwater

That was always my favorite place in town....glad it's still top notch. I'd also recommend the Loophole if it's still open. And basically next doors you have Beth marie's for terrific ice cream. Bari's is a great hole in the wall for Italian nearer to campus.

Man...I have some places I need to hit up next time I fly back. :lol:

I work at the Tavern and it has four beers on tap...just your general Bud lite coors lite miller lite and shiner.... We have tons of bottled beers too. 10 Plasmas or so, NTN Trivia, Golden Tee, Bags, etc etc etc...

Good place... Coldest jager in town!

Come in on Saturdays so I can make some money

I have already learned the fight song and all of the other traditions and look forward to putting them to good use during the games.

Who is this guy...our last coach probably couldn't make these claims. Welcome to the Mean Green family...we're small and close knit at the moment but we're spreading our seed across the country in hopes of expanding.

As for the Denton scene: Get in on a friday night, grab some great food from El Guapo's, Sweetwater or Loophole...then, since your already near or on the square, just stay there and drink til 2...Hailey's and Dan's Silverleaf will be your live music venues (both are about a block off the square) so check their schedules...Hailey's also has about 50 or so beers on tap...after the show head to Loophole and/or Hooligans...or if you're after a drunk 20 year old sorority girl...head to Atticus. Wake up the next day about noon...thank the now hungover 20 year old soroity girl, say youll call and that it meant a lot ect...go to New York Sub Way on University for the best sandwich in town, but only get a small b/c you'll have plenty of food options at tailgating. Head up to Fouts between one and two...I'm sure you'll have plenty of invites. Drink cold Shiner, Lone Star and if you meet up with some classy folk, Ziegenboch (hmmmmmmm) and some great food until about 6...pack up...head on in, 3 hours of Papa Todd running up the score...then off to Fry St. Tavern is probably the place you'll run into the most UNT fans from the game...but take the time to enjoy Lucky Lou's and Riprocks...probably the best plan is to hit them up first, enjoy a couple beers on their patios...then head to Tavern and let UNT_92 get you drunk...don't tip him though...he does it for the love of the job

Edited by Censored by Laurie

...let UNT_92 get you drunk...don't tip him though...he does it for the love of the job

I can proudly say that I'm fairly certain of this one fact: in the years UNT_92_Fan has worked at Tavern...I've NEVER once tipped him.

Lori, on the otherhand...I've tipped that girl to the point that of breaking my bank account more than any stripper ever could. Such sad creatures, we are.

I can proudly say that I'm fairly certain of this one fact: in the years UNT_92_Fan has worked at Tavern...I've NEVER once tipped him.

Lori, on the otherhand...I've tipped that girl to the point that of breaking my bank account more than any stripper ever could. Such sad creatures, we are.

I just give Tiffani the Wasian the pin for my debit card and tell her to just take as much as she wants...few give me happy pants the way she does

Who is this guy...our last coach probably couldn't make these claims. Welcome to the Mean Green family...we're small and close knit at the moment but we're spreading our seed across the country in hopes of expanding.

As for the Denton scene: Get in on a friday night, grab some great food from El Guapo's, Sweetwater or Loophole...then, since your already near or on the square, just stay there and drink til 2...Hailey's and Dan's Silverleaf will be your live music venues (both are about a block off the square) so check their schedules...Hailey's also has about 50 or so beers on tap...after the show head to Loophole and/or Hooligans...or if you're after a drunk 20 year old sorority girl...head to Atticus. Wake up the next day about noon...thank the now hungover 20 year old soroity girl, say youll call and that it meant a lot ect...go to New York Sub Way on University for the best sandwich in town, but only get a small b/c you'll have plenty of food options at tailgating. Head up to Fouts between one and two...I'm sure you'll have plenty of invites. Drink cold Shiner, Lone Star and if you meet up with some classy folk, Ziegenboch (hmmmmmmm) and some great food until about 6...pack up...head on in, 3 hours of Papa Todd running up the score...then off to Fry St. Tavern is probably the place you'll run into the most UNT fans from the game...but take the time to enjoy Lucky Lou's and Riprocks...probably the best plan is to hit them up first, enjoy a couple beers on their patios...then head to Tavern and let UNT_92 get you drunk...don't tip him though...he does it for the love of the job

Excellent post except for drinking Lone Star. Just plain nasty beer.

Couple of eateries you shouldn't miss in and around Denton:

All the ones list above.

Denton County Hamburger on the Square

Trail Dust Steakhouse about 10 miles east of town on 380.

Ponder Steak House about 10 miles west of town.

Frillies for good cajun.

Metzler Bros. BBQ...head to Lindsay, about 30 minutes north of town, if you have time.

Fouts Field tailgating BBQ

Babe's Fried Chicken in Roanoke...about 15 minutes south of town.

Metzler Bros. BBQ...head to Lindsay, about 30 minutes north of town, if you have time.

Metzler's in Lindsay changed hands a while back and is now "Deiter's". Still as good as it ever was, if not better. I know the owners and they are great people who run a pretty hoppin' joint.

Their chopped beef sandwiches and onion rings are the best...