2009: A Big Year For Denton

Look at all of the new things that are going to be opening up or finsihing up in 2009.

1. Rayzor Ranch Market Place ( much needed second Wal-Mart and Home Depot, as well as a Sam's Club.

2. Rayzor Ranch Town Center ( The new open-air shopping mall with over 120 stores, 80 of which new to Denton)

3. Golden Triangle Mall's much anticpated Death ( A Flea Market will be probably be the new tenant)

4. Three New Shopping Centers ( 380, Behind Walmart off 288, and a new Circuit City and Staples announced)

5. Completion of Loop 288 Expansion

6. Construction finsihing up on I-35 Expansion into Denton ( It's taking place currently south of Denton)

7. Construction finishing up on the Rail Service to DART

8. Expansion of Lillian Miller to Swisher 2181 to six lanes (Big Possibility of the loop extending to I-35W)

9. Construction to make Mckinney St. from 2 lanes to 4 lanes, extending past Loop 288

10. New Dorms, Life Sciences Bldg, and Business Bldg

11. The Completion of UNT's new Football Stadium ( Oh Sorry!!! It Seems That Is Not Scheduled To Happen Anymore)

Edited by UNT_playmaker

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know since the "State School" taught you how to use negative integers you just can't stop using them. Can you?

I'll stop the negative integers if you stop the dumb threads. Deal?

Its not a dumb post, it's meant to be a provactive post. Seems like we hear constant updates on other projects scheduled to be finishing up or completed in 2009.

They have released plans, surveys, or models of what is to be done and kept up with what was initially stated to be done.

I am not just talking about the stadium, I am also talking about him not giving updates to the fan base, i.e. quarterly meetings and also the now infamous baseball debacle. Al Goldfield, offered to write a check for an entire baseball team but instead our AD decides to take the booby prize which is to receive a check to conduct a study to see if we need a new stadium.

I'm not the only one sounding off, I mean seriously everything is either a secret or off-limits. For crying out loud, they wont even release information about what our helmet will look like or what color it will be. They never ask for any feedback and what's worst is all the information about our football team is mentioned in a message board before it is released by the atheltic dept. (i.e. UNT vs. NAVY Game).

We already know how screwed up the Athletics Dept is at marketing anything outside of North Texas Blvd. on campus.

All I'm saying is that we have to demand better for Athlethics.

Its not a dumb post, it's meant to be a provactive post. Seems like we hear constant updates on other projects scheduled to be finishing up or completed in 2009.

They have released plans, surveys, or models of what is to be done and kept up with what was initially stated to be done.

I am not just talking about the stadium, I am also talking about him not giving updates to the fan base, i.e. quarterly meetings and also the now infamous baseball debacle. Al Goldfield, offered to write a check for an entire baseball team but instead our AD decides to take the booby prize which is to receive a check to conduct a study to see if we need a new stadium.

I'm not the only one sounding off, I mean seriously everything is either a secret or off-limits. For crying out loud, they wont even release information about what our helmet will look like or what color it will be. They never ask for any feedback and what's worst is all the information about our football team is mentioned in a message board before it is released by the atheltic dept. (i.e. UNT vs. NAVY Game).

We already know how screwed up the Athletics Dept is at marketing anything outside of North Texas Blvd. on campus.

All I'm saying is that we have to demand better for Athlethics.

good post. most our news comes from non unt sources. why is that?

Guest GrayEagleOne

If any of the things that you listed DON'T happen in 2009 are you going to be all over who ever put out this information? No, I don't think so. But, if UNT put out information said that there would be a stadium in 2009 and it didn't happen, they'd never hear the end of it.

WHEN THERE IS SOMETHING TO REPORT YOU'LL HEAR ABOUT IT. Until then, they have a fund-raising firm working on it as hard as they can. After all, much of their livelihood may depend on it. Until then, why this drivel of incessant complaints?

Why have quarterly meetings if all that's going to do is invite criticism if it doesn't happen on schedule? You bring up the baseball stadium debacle. Whose fault was that? We had a signed deal and the other party didn't hold up their end.

Yes, this and all such threads are dumb threads. They're provocative alright. They provoke those of us who understand the problem to anger over the constant harping about something that none of us can affect.

Look at all of the new things that are going to be opening up or finsihing up in 2009.

1. Rayzor Ranch Market Place ( much needed second Wal-Mart and Home Depot, as well as a Sam's Club.

2. Rayzor Ranch Town Center ( The new open-air shopping mall with over 120 stores, 80 of which new to Denton)

3. Golden Triangle Mall's much anticpated Death ( A Flea Market will be probably be the new tenant)

I remember reading an article saying that the GTM owners were going to fight back and that they presented a deal to the city that if the Rayzor Ranch deal was put on delay for X number of years they would spend $40+Million (?) to update GTM.

Has anyone heard anymore about this?

I remember reading an article saying that the GTM owners were going to fight back and that they presented a deal to the city that if the Rayzor Ranch deal was put on delay for X number of years they would spend $40+Million (?) to update GTM.

Has anyone heard anymore about this?

Even if that proposal brought forth, it wouldn't be passed. Money is the guiding force. No matter if GTM does get hurt by the Rayzor Ranch, the money gained by Rayzor far outweighs that which is lost by GTM. Rayzor will be hear soon and without delay of the city.

good post. most our news comes from non unt sources. why is that?

because they don't know wtf it is they are talking about. they report rumors and speculation. journalistic integrity has been thrown out the window in regards to the stadium. I have not once anywhere, from any credible, reliable source, read that the stadium would be completed in 2009. The athletic dept has never, to my knowledge put a time frame in stone on anything related to the stadium. BTW, does anyone actually know that Alan Goldfield was going to fund baseball by himself, or is that just here-say as well.

I want the stadium as much as the next guy, but i'm not going to fool myself on a mythical timetable for completion, until it comes from the school and ath. dept. itself.

I'll stop the negative integers if you stop the dumb threads. Deal?

Dude...every message board has that one guy that posts batshit-crazy threads. Since GreenGrenade isn't really around anymore...UNT_playmaker is our guy.

If you don't like them, don't read them. You don't have to be a dick about it.

Dude...every message board has that one guy that posts batshit-crazy threads. Since GreenGrenade isn't really around anymore...UNT_playmaker is our guy.

If you don't like them, don't read them. You don't have to be a dick about it.

GG was far more random than PM and GG made up for his off the wall stuff by being funny.

In case those that weren't on the board late last night, Playmaker posted not 1 but 2 threads about the same thing. The 2nd one got DELETED before most everyone saw it.

His endless rants about how we're never going to see the new stadium by the 2019 season and how we should have [re-]started our baseball team years ago are old and tired and need to be put to pasture.

Most importantly though, we should be incredibly thankful that we are even in a position to talk about such things when a decade ago no one would have ever dreamed of us with a new stadium.

Edited by UNTFan23

GG was far more random than PM and GG made up for his off the wall stuff by being funny.

In case those that weren't on the board late last night, Playmaker posted not 1 but 2 threads about the same thing. The 2nd one got DELETED before most everyone saw it.

His endless rants about how we're never going to see the new stadium by the 2019 season and how we should have [re-]started our baseball team years ago are old and tired and need to be put to pasture.

Most importantly though, we should be incredibly thankful that we are even in a position to talk about such things when a decade ago no one would have ever dreamed of us with a new stadium.

First of all it's the 2009 season, that was mentioned by officials. Not the year 2019. I think you have mistaken that number with an old Star Trek episode. Stadium talk has been going on for quite sometime, if you followed the Mean Green for more than a few years while you attended school here, you would realize that a new stadium has been on the table for years. This was the case in 1994 when the stadium needed to be expanded, it was the first thing on RV's agenda when the stadium was proposed to students and then got shot down. RV brought it back up after Mean Green Village was created.

This is a popular topic as we havent heard the much anticpiated announcement reagarding the football stadium. Also I was not the one who re-started the stadium talk, it was another poster on another thread. As you can see, goofy, cough. If you felt so strongly about it why didnt you reply to that thread in particular. Why is it that whenever I post anything in particular you seem to be in attack mode.

Considering that you live in Arkansas, where you belong, I can understand the frustrations you have going on in your life right now, but taking it out on my random threads is not the answer. If you don't like em, don't read em and certainly don't post a idiotic response like you always do. You kind of make an ass out of yourself, especially when other people don't agree with you, mmkay.

Also I suggest that you conserve the amount of time you use on the internet, and not waste your time replying to my postings, seeing how internet access over there is still viewed as a luxury and only available as a prepaid type of service.

BTW, does anyone actually know that Alan Goldfield was going to fund baseball by himself, or is that just here-say as well.

from an article this past basketball season:

Al Goldfield tried to give the North Texas athletic department a boost in the form of a large donation long before the retired businessman donated $1.5 million toward a new football stadium late last year.

"I offered at one point to underwrite a whole baseball program at North Texas and they turned me down," Goldfield said. "They didn't want to have baseball back then."

UNT was more than willing to accept a large donation when Goldfield offered a second time. Al and his wife, Shirley, announced late last year that they were giving the largest donation in UNT athletic department history to help in the early stages of a campaign for a new football stadium.

The couple was honored for the donation during halftime of the UNT men’s basketball team’s win over Middle Tennessee on Thursday night.

Al Goldfield, a retired businessman, is the founder, former chairman of the board and chief executive officer of CellStar Corp.

5. Completion of Loop 288 Expansion

8. Expansion of Lillian Miller to Swisher 2181 to six lanes (Big Possibility of the loop extending to I-35W)

9. Construction to make Mckinney St. from 2 lanes to 4 lanes, extending past Loop 288

#3 - Please don't let that happen. If it dies, tear it down.

#5, 8, & 9 - Don't hold your breath for 2009. Denton never finishes road construction when they say they will.

Edited by GoMeanGreen1999

Al Goldfield tried to give the North Texas athletic department a boost in the form of a large donation long before the retired businessman donated $1.5 million toward a new football stadium late last year.

"I offered at one point to underwrite a whole baseball program at North Texas and they turned me down," Goldfield said. "They didn't want to have baseball back then."

UNT was more than willing to accept a large donation when Goldfield offered a second time. Al and his wife, Shirley, announced late last year that they were giving the largest donation in UNT athletic department history to help in the early stages of a campaign for a new football stadium.

......................................................................................................

I believe the whole point of him being convinced to change his donation designation then was that, for the short term, all efforts and large funding was being put into the stadium project. I believe we will have both a new football stadium and baseball program eventually but the "when" is the big question. If I could only choose one, I too would pick a football stadium first!

......................................................................................................

I believe the whole point of him being convinced to change his donation designation then was that, for the short term, all efforts and large funding was being put into the stadium project. I believe we will have both a new football stadium and baseball program eventually but the "when" is the big question. If I could only choose one, I too would pick a football stadium first!

Actually I've heard that he offerred the donation several years ago when the new stadium wasn't even on the horizon. It wasn't a matter of baseball program vs. football stadium. I believe it was the Helwig administration that turned down the baseball offer, most likely because they didn't want to fall further out of Title IX compliance by adding another men's sport while we were still out of compliance (Something the RV administration has corrected. Its often overlooked and even mentioned less but this was a tremendous obstacle that RV and staff had to overcome and they've done a great job to get UNT past this. People often forget that this HAD to be done before we could ever think about getting a stadium.)

However it's been a matter of public record the the Goldfields were motivated to make this latest donation specifically becuase of the accomplishments and direction of the athletic department since RV took over.

One quick correction to Playmakers post. The Goldfield donation isn't going toward just a study to determine IF a new stadium is needed. No study is needed. That conclusion has been reached long ago. The donation is being used as seed money to fund the drive and process of raising the money for a new stadium. Big difference there.