Anyone See A Blimp?

KingDL1

VEN_0033.jpg

More here

Looks like it was graduation day, I was out flying real estate sites and this is what I found.

The last one is a single cell micro-burst we saw on the way home we are about to passover Love Field and this downpour is over the Lakewood area.

Is that the same type of micro-burst that downed Delta Airline Flight 191 at DFW airport in July or August of 1986. I recently did some research on the net regarding this flight, and the cause of the crash of an abrupt micro-burst that occured shortly before landing. Does anyone know about a micro-burst does.

I dont remember too much about that actual except, I was 5 years old, got down getting bathed on a rainy Sunday and came to see a special bulletin on T.V. and the crash footage. My Human Resources Prof, Dr. Ledgerwood said in class a young 18 or 20 year old, got a new convertible and was driving on 114 in Irving, when the plane came acroos and killed him instantly.

Maybe more people might remember what actually happened?

cool pictures! Random dumb question of the month, Everyone refers to the "mean green village" what and where is it? I am willing to bet I already know what it is I just dont know it is the "mean green village". If that makes any sense at all......

cool pictures! Random dumb question of the month, Everyone refers to the "mean green village" what and where is it? I am willing to bet I already know what it is I just dont know it is the "mean green village". If that makes any sense at all......

The "Village" is the football field-sized section of green just to the left of Fouts, and bordered on the top by a small section of the parking lot. The "Village" consists of various groups and organizations (and some businesses) that set up tents on the outside edge of the "Village". Since it was (and may still be) a practice field, the tents would be on the sidelines and endzone sections.

The parking area that borders the top of the village is the (former) Orange parking lot........where all the cool people tailgate. B)

VEN_0033.jpg

More here

Looks like it was graduation day, I was out flying real estate sites and this is what I found.

The last one is a single cell micro-burst we saw on the way home we are about to passover Love Field and this downpour is over the Lakewood area.

Wow - that photo really does show how far the seating is away from the playing field at Fouts. How depressing..

Is that the same type of micro-burst that downed Delta Airline Flight 191 at DFW airport in July or August of 1986. I recently did some research on the net regarding this flight, and the cause of the crash of an abrupt micro-burst that occured shortly before landing. Does anyone know about a micro-burst does.

I dont remember too much about that actual except, I was 5 years old, got down getting bathed on a rainy Sunday and came to see a special bulletin on T.V. and the crash footage. My Human Resources Prof, Dr. Ledgerwood said in class a young 18 or 20 year old, got a new convertible and was driving on 114 in Irving, when the plane came acroos and killed him instantly.

Maybe more people might remember what actually happened?

Ahhh, finally something I know about. Delta Air Lines 191 is something we hear alot about in training. (I used various sources from the interwebs for details.)

It was a microburst that brought DL191 down in August of 1985. More precisely, it was the wind shear associated with the microburst that brought the Lockheed L-1011 down.

Basically, a microburst is when there is downward acceleration of a downdraft from the base of a cloud due to the evaporative cooling. In a thunderstorm, when dry and cool ambient air is introduced into the storm clouds, the moisture in the cloud evaporates rapidly...causing the air in the clouds to cool. The cooling of the air makes it more dense and causes it to sink. When the air gets to ground level, it curls outward and upward. At ground level and a little above, the wind speeds are the highest...and the downdrafts really push down on anything flying through it.

DL 191 was on final approach for runway 17L (east complex of DFW...approaching from the north). When the flight flew through the microburst that day (they didn't see it as it was camoflaged by other clouds), the wind shear caused the indicated airspeed of the aircraft to increase rapidly...then decreased just as rapidly down to near-stall speed. This is the primary effect of wind shear on an aircraft. The pilot-flying nosed the aircraft down to avoid the stall, but they were already too close to the ground. They hit the ground and bounced twice. The second impact was onto 114. The way I understand it, it was the left wing engine (#1) that came down on someone in a Honda...destroying the car and killing the driver. From 114, it bounced and skidded into the 2 huge, million-plus gallon, water tanks on the northeast part of the field.

Because of this accident, we (pilots, dispatchers, controllers, etc.) get pretty extensive training on microbursts and wind shear. It's some pretty scary stuff to think about getting caught up in. The downward and outward force/shear is pretty nasty.

Sidenote: Interestingly...191 is the most common flight number in airline accidents. Delta 191 in DFW (1985), American 191 in Chicago (1979), the recent Comair 5191 in Lexington, KY (the 5 is just a Delta codeshare designator for ticketing purposes...actual flight number filed and callsign with air traffic control was "Comair 191"). I get nervous anytime I file anything close to resembling 191 and, quite honestly, if I were ever given a flight a 191 based number (191, 3191, 4191, 6191, etc.)...I would either refuse to work the flight until the flight number was changed or change the filed flight number/callsign to something different. That said, I think the airlines stay away from the number 191 the same way most stay away from having a Row 13 of seats. We're a superstitious bunch.

King, check your PM.

Edited by JayDub

---We actually get to see a lot of Blimps in Midland. I live less than a mile from a small airport that has a "Blimp Port" for them to connect to, it is a few hundred yards from Midland College. We have them a lot because they travel from EL Paso to Metroplex and stop here over night quite a bit, if the wind is bad they remain here a couple or so days. There are several of them with various advertisers on the sides. The Fuji one ( white/green ) seems to show up the most.

--Re wind shear: I don't know if this is it but while landing at Baltimore this weekend we really took a hard bounce and even a couple of people on board screamed as we hit the runway hard. Just as we were about to touch down we dropped down and really took a jolt. We were told that it resulted not because of the pilot or plane but because of the "air". It was the worse bounce I had ever experienced, I was amazed that the tires did not pop.

---191 ... The main highway from Midland to Odessa is Tx- 191. It borders Midland International Airport on the North and we all use it to get there.

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

Ahhh, finally something I know about. Delta Air Lines 191 is something we hear alot about in training. (I used various sources from the interwebs for details.)

It was a microburst that brought DL191 down in August of 1985. More precisely, it was the wind shear associated with the microburst that brought the Lockheed L-1011 down.

Basically, a microburst is when there is downward acceleration of a downdraft from the base of a cloud due to the evaporative cooling. In a thunderstorm, when dry and cool ambient air is introduced into the storm clouds, the moisture in the cloud evaporates rapidly...causing the air in the clouds to cool. The cooling of the air makes it more dense and causes it to sink. When the air gets to ground level, it curls outward and upward. At ground level and a little above, the wind speeds are the highest...and the downdrafts really push down on anything flying through it.

DL 191 was on final approach for runway 17L (east complex of DFW...approaching from the north). When the flight flew through the microburst that day (they didn't see it as it was camoflaged by other clouds), the wind shear caused the indicated airspeed of the aircraft to increase rapidly...then decreased just as rapidly down to near-stall speed. This is the primary effect of wind shear on an aircraft. The pilot-flying nosed the aircraft down to avoid the stall, but they were already too close to the ground. They hit the ground and bounced twice. The second impact was onto 114. The way I understand it, it was the left wing engine (#1) that came down on someone in a Honda...destroying the car and killing the driver. From 114, it bounced and skidded into the 2 huge, million-plus gallon, water tanks on the northeast part of the field.

Because of this accident, we (pilots, dispatchers, controllers, etc.) get pretty extensive training on microbursts and wind shear. It's some pretty scary stuff to think about getting caught up in. The downward and outward force/shear is pretty nasty.

Sidenote: Interestingly...191 is the most common flight number in airline accidents. Delta 191 in DFW (1985), American 191 in Chicago (1979), the recent Comair 5191 in Lexington, KY (the 5 is just a Delta codeshare designator for ticketing purposes...actual flight number filed and callsign with air traffic control was "Comair 191"). I get nervous anytime I file anything close to resembling 191 and, quite honestly, if I were ever given a flight a 191 based number (191, 3191, 4191, 6191, etc.)...I would either refuse to work the flight until the flight number was changed or change the filed flight number/callsign to something different. That said, I think the airlines stay away from the number 191 the same way most stay away from having a Row 13 of seats. We're a superstitious bunch.

King, check your PM.

''

This is kind of creepy - but very informative if youre curious

http://www.airdisaster.com/

--Re wind shear: I don't know if this is it but while landing at Baltimore this weekend we really took a hard bounce and even a couple of people on board screamed as we hit the runway hard. Just as we were about to touch down we dropped down and really took a jolt. We were told that it resulted not because of the pilot or plane but because of the "air". It was the worse bounce I had ever experienced, I was amazed that the tires did not pop.

I had a very similar landing at BWI last week. Was the pilot, by chance, ex-Navy? You can always tell by how the plop the damn thing on the runway with little flare.

Jumpseated with a crew once where the first officer was ex-Navy. After plopping the plane on the runway, the captain looks at him and says something to the effect of, "I think you missed the cables...wanna go around?"

Edited by JayDub

Another good one......."Did we land, or were we shot down?"

I saw the Sanyo blimp over south Denton on Saturday.

I heard one captain with an open mike tell his co-pilot, "Was that a landing, or a controlled crash?"

Funny pilot/controller stories & pilot maintenance logs....

http://www.businessballs.com/airtrafficcon...funnyquotes.htm

Edited by NT80

I had a very similar landing at BWI last week. Was the pilot, by chance, ex-Navy? You can always tell by how the plop the damn thing on the runway with little flare.

Could have been a Chicago-based pilot. I've never had a good landing in the windy city.

My last flight through there was in the middle of heavy snow two years ago. We bounced twice and then braked so hard I had to push against the seat in front of me.

On another flight, the pilot had to crab the plane at a severe angle, it almost felt like we were landing sideways. YIKES!

http://www.airdisaster.com/cvr/cvrwav.shtml

I try to stay conscious of what I say when in the jumpseat because of Delta 1141.

Anytime the conversation turns borderline inappropriate, I starting thinking of my mother listening to the CVR at an NTSB hearing. ;)

The controller tapes are very interesting to hear also for some of these accidents:

http://www.airdisaster.com/cvr/atcwav.shtml

Likewise, the accident videos are worth a view:

http://www.airdisaster.com/movies/

Edited by NT80

I try to stay conscious of what I say when in the jumpseat because of Delta 1141.

Anytime the conversation turns borderline inappropriate, I starting thinking of my mother listening to the CVR at an NTSB hearing. ;)

That VERY flight/crash has an wierd NT memory to me. My dad's boss and his wife were 2 of the 14 people killed on that plane that day. Everytime I rememeber that crash, it reminds me of when my Dad called me that day at UNT (my junior year) to tell me they just found out they was killed.