Coach Dodge On Ticket At 9:30am Friday

I missed the first couple of minutes, but here are some highlights of Coach Dodge's appearance on Dunham and Miller

Going back to 4-3 defense, in part because they had more depth on the defensive line than expected. They've moved some linebackers to defensive end. Strength is the linebacker corps and the experience in the unit.

He is being a little less hands-on as a coach than he was at Southlake. The bigger college program is more demanding, but he will always stay involved. He's not going to be the Bear Bryant, Tom Landry type who just walks around the field. He wants to stay involved with the players and the play calling.

One player on each side of the ball that has jumped out this spring: Casey Fitzgerald, a walk-on WR that is a great fit for their passing game, and Eldrick Gilmore, a 6-6, 245 DE.

The next step for the program: the goal is to win the conference and return to the New Orleans Bowl, but the next step is to gain a level of consistency, not have the peaks and valleys. Consistency of winning will bring the fans out.

Finally, Todd has completely won over George Dunham. George is friends with Dickey and was understandably disappointed when Dickey was fired, but George is tremendously excited about the potential of Coach Dodge.

They confirmed that the band will be present Sunday, and this is going to be a big event. The team will be on the field at 12:45 for pre-game warm-up.

Going back to 4-3 defense, in part because they had more depth on the defensive line than expected. They've moved some linebackers to defensive end. Strength is the linebacker corps and the experience in the unit.

The next step for the program: the goal is to win the conference and return to the New Orleans Bowl, but the next step is to gain a level of consistency, not have the peaks and valleys. Consistency of winning will bring the fans out.

I enjoy both comments.

Here' a rundown of a great interview with Todd Dodge.

He talked about how he was really excited and thought that the defense was going to be a strength (sounded pleasantly surprised).

-Said that the defensive line and linebackers were a strength...talked about quality depth along the defensive line and experience with the returning linebackers

Said that he was still staying involved in the day to day teaching on the offensive side of the ball...specifically the quarterbacks and receivers. He also stated that he was staying heavily involved in the playcalling.

When asked to pin down one outstanding player on offense/defense through the spring

Offense: Casey Fitzgerald

Defense: Eddrick Gilmore (sounded really excited about the prospect of both of these guys)

Doosey asked what the Ultmate Goal is here at NT:

TD said it's to win championships, go to bowls, and to increase the consistency of winning here at NT. He made refrence to the last time he coached here and said we would win a few games in a row and then lose to someone that we shouldn't have. He intends to correct this type of thing. He stressed that if we are winning consistently, he feels that the fans will come out in numbers...but they will be coming out to see the Mean Green play and not be quite so caught up in who our opponents are.

They then really plugged the Game Day atmosphere for this Sunday's spring game and TD encouraged lots of people to come check it out and have a good time.

If I missed anything, feel free to add other tidbits.

Edited by Green Lantern

I think you guys pretty much covered it all.

Both George and Mike Doocy asked great questions, I thought. I appreciated the fact, that Doocy pointed out that he was out doing a live shot for Channel 4 sports somewhere last week....and how a North Texas fan came up to him, telling him how excited he was that we have Coach TD as our coach now.

I also liked the fact that TD, when asked to name who had stood out on each side of the ball.....he actually gave two names (Fitzgerald and Gilmore)....he didn't give a typical coachspeak diplomatic answer.

Anyway, it was great. Looks like the weather's gonna be great on Sunday....looking forward to the beginning of the Dodge era at UNT.

ONE MORE POINT: I loved how Todd pointed out, when asked about goals for his program, he mentioned the next "4 or 5 years"......I think this man will stay with us for a while, and not be ready to bolt quickly (like some folks think he will).

Edited by Green Means Go!

rats! was hoping they'd be there.

Date: Sunday, April 22

Time: 3 pm kickoff

Parking: Parking at Fouts Field will be free.

Admission is FREE, Enter through Gate 1 - Free Rosters and game information will be distributed at Gate 1.

Seating: Fans are encouraged to sit on the West Side of Fouts Field.

Tailgating: Starts Early, Ends Late - The Fouts Field parking lot will be open all weekend for Tailgaters to begin preparation for the Spring Game.

RV's, Campers, Tents, Tables, Chairs and Grills are all welcome in

the Fouts Field parking lot.

"Live Entertainment: Live music will begin at 1 pm. Performance by local favorite King Creole. The stage will be located outside of the Mean Green Village."

I'm guessing that this is the band that they're talking about.