The Daily Sits Down With President Bataille

WIFE2HOT4U

In lieu of President Gretchen Bataille's inaugural ball this Friday, the Daily sat down with the president and discussed the current state of NT.

You took office about eight months ago, why hold off the ball so late?

Oh, that's just standard. Usually just anytime during the first year because number one, you want to be sure that the person is going to stay and be integrated into the life of the campus. There are cases where somebody comes and it doesn't work out and they are gone. So this is really the official ceremonial thing: "Yes, you're part of us and you're our president," and also because it gives the president time to think about what message you're going to give when you first arrive. It's pretty normal to wait.

You set out with the tour to visit different cities and talk with alumni, what was the leading purpose of doing so?

Well first of all, it is a little misleading to call it a tour. It sounds like I'm traveling on a bus with a rock band wearing a T-shirt with cities on my back. What we did was pick a number of cities that we believe could be pivotal in our relationship with alumni. And they were all separate events that were clustered close together; it was not a "tour" so to speak. We had a lot of opportunities for people to ask questions and a lot of people got very engaged in asking questions about our campus. It was about making friends and they would also be donors.

"Donors" is the key word when it comes to your tour. How would you rate your performance in that aspect?

Fundraising is a long-term effort, it doesn't happen overnight. There were some people that gave us checks when we were there - one lady sent me a check saying, "I'm so sorry I cant show up to your event, but here's a check because I know you need the money." I think what we are seeing is that it paid off in that we are probably going to raise a net of at least $250,000 for different things like the Emerald Eagle Scholarships.

Was there a numerical fundraising goal for the tour?

No. We really didn't know what we were going to raise There is no way to know. You could have one person say, "Oh, I'm so impressed, I'm going to going to give you a million dollars." Or you could have 100 people send $100. You just never know. And in some ways 100 people sending $100 is better since you have connected with 100 people. The goal was to connect with a lot of people with different levels of interest in giving and keep people connected to the university.

How important do you think athletics is to national recognition?

Athletics is a window in which people see us. This last year, we had more positive press than we've had in a long time. Papers from other states mention us. We won the Sun Belt, we went to the NCAA tournament. I have friends calling saying "I saw this on TV, it's your school!" But the reality of this is that not all these people who know about us even care about athletics. They care about knowing that their school is in the news in a positive way.

How proactive is the president's office when it comes to the athletic department?

NCAA requires that the president is responsible. At the end of the day, I am responsible to make sure we don't have any violations and playing by the rules. Even though I don't do any of that personally, they [the athletics department] all know that if they do something wrong I will pay, that's why the athletics director reports directly to me. And [Rick Villarreal, the athletics director] knows that I hold him accountable, so if something is wrong, the person that reports to me will be in trouble.

As it stands NT is ranked as a tier three university, on a practical level, how soon do you think that will change?

Well, we don't change. Other people do. Part of that is getting people to know us. There are a lot of factors there and there are a lot of things that make a difference when it comes to rankings like that. Entering freshman SAT score when up this fall, the amount of research we bring in, graduation rate, retention rate are part of those measures. So what we have to do is constantly make sure that everything we do is getting better every year. Its no single thing, it would be easier if it were.

Plans to cut pay for the faculty during the summer have been in place for a while. Do you think that has alienated your faculty?

No, because I think the faculty really recognizes that we are a student-centered university and the goal was not to cut pay. [The goal] was to provide courses the students' need in the summer. And the reality was that we're offering courses the faculty wanted to teach at a very high cost. If there are enough students that need a certain class, that class will be taught in the summer.

Some of the faculty say that the official press release announcing the new plans for summer school read as if the motivations behind to cut pay for faculty in the summer was bottom-line minded and high-handed. One member of the biology department went on record as saying that you did it "just 'cause you could." How would you respond to that?

Well, again. The goal was to offer the courses the students needed. And when you are doing that and you're doing it right, you have to think about the full academic year- not just the summer. We were putting $5 million in the summer that could go into the fall and spring. You've got to look at the full picture. I mean, we can do things because we can but historically the faculty has done things because they can. Teachers can say "I only want to teach a small amount of courses during the fall and spring," then teach a six-week course and get a high salary. That is not a wise use of our resources.

Will the administration get a pay cut during the summer?

We are 12-month employees. They are nine-month employees. So this- their pay has not been cut. If they are telling you they're pay has been cut… there are circum- … they can still teach during the summer. Or they can teach during a full load during the academic year. It's very complicated. Summer school is a bonus. It is not part of their contracts. A lot of them want to teach the courses they want to teach, not the ones that need to be taught. We are doing the right thing by students and we are being fiscally responsible.

Back in August at new student convocation, one of the strong points of your speech was that you wanted to turn NT from a music school to a research school.

I think that is an interesting interpretation … I have never said that I will turn NT from a music school to a research school.

Obviously that was a paraphrase, but what have you done to enhance the "research" aspect of your plan?

You think that arts doesn't do research? You think music doesn't do research? The point is that our mission is to be a student-centered research university, the problem with that is that as soon as I say "research," people automatically think chemistry labs. Whereas, if we could have said we are a "student-centered public research and creative activity university," that is what research is. It's about scholarship, it's about creative activity, it's about our musicians performing in Vienna. That too is part of that research area.

So the research part of it that we are concerned about, are the research dollars coming in. We got folks doing research in the sciences but they are not bringing in money. So where we can bring in money to do research is to our advantage because we get indirect costs money and it buys equipment that a student can use in a lab. We need faculty to not just do research but apply for grants. All of this benefits the university.

Stephen Hawking taught a class, Maya Angelou is at Wake Forest. Will a name like that come to NT?

Those kinds of appointments are very expensive and they are what you do if you've become famous already as an institution and have that money to spend. What we need to do, and we are doing, is hiring successful assistant professors and full professors who come here with grants already and raise our profile.

It's nice to bring someone famous in, but it's a one shot deal. It doesn't make a difference in the long run to the quality of education our students get.

Are there any educational policies you brought with you from Chapel Hill?

You can't pick up a set of expectations from one institution and dump them on another. We have a strategic plan, and we are carrying it out. We are using technology to enhance our classrooms. Currently, we are looking at large classes and using technology to better them. But it's more a mindset that I bring with me to explore every possibility of what we are doing for our students.

The redevelopment of Fry Street is something the students have been passionate and involved in. What is your stance on it?

Fry Street has always changed. Places always change, and this is just another change. The developers are working in a historical framework. Our concern is that there is a heritage there and we want them to respect the history of NT. But these are independent companies working with private citizens. We have no right to tell them how to run their business but we hope that there is preservation of the history.

The reality is that every generation of students has a different attachment to the campus. In the fall, everyone was talking about the Albino squirrel getting killed. Next fall will the freshman even know about the Albino squirrel? This university will never change for you. Twenty years from now you will remember how it was when you were here- times just change.

What has the administration done or will do to address the parking issue?

We do not have a parking problem, we have a transposition problem and we have a perception problem. This university was not built for 33,500 students. Frankly, if this university is going to maintain an attractive campus we have to get rid of more parking lots. We can't build more parking lots. We have this mindset where students, faculty and staff all believe they should be able to park close to where they work or teach or have class and be able to drive to the next place they work, etc. That's just not how modern universities work.

I can't imagine that any student, if you stop to think about it, would want to spend more money on parking than chemistry labs or to enhance the Rec Center, or add to the Union or more books to the library. We have to think about our priorities and our priority is education. It really is a mindset, just park at Fouts Field if you don't want to go around and around wasting gas and looking for parking. It's OK to walk a little.

Under the "change of mindset" you just mentioned, are remote parking garages and shuttling to campus a definite part of NT's future?

Absolutely. As we grow, every freshman class will get closer to that as we build better facilities and enhance the services our campus gives its students. It just doesn't make sense to me to build more parking lots unless they are remote. We are certainly not going to make it any easier for people to park right next to their classrooms. We are doing what we can to make sure that we keep the main part of campus the academic heart of the university. It's not going to get worse. It's just going to change.

You set out with the tour to visit different cities and talk with alumni, what was the leading purpose of doing so?

Well first of all, it is a little misleading to call it a tour. It sounds like I'm traveling on a bus with a rock band wearing a T-shirt with cities on my back.

Gretchen Rocks!

I love the qoute below about the parking situation in which she states:

It really is a mindset, just park at Fouts Field if you don't want to go around and around wasting gas and looking for parking. It's OK to walk a little.

I would be interested in seeing what '66 has to say about the Summer School comments as well.

Good stuff.

Rick

Plans to cut pay for the faculty during the summer have been in place for a while. Do you think that has alienated your faculty?

No, because I think the faculty really recognizes that we are a student-centered university and the goal was not to cut pay. [The goal] was to provide courses the students' need in the summer. And the reality was that we're offering courses the faculty wanted to teach at a very high cost. If there are enough students that need a certain class, that class will be taught in the summer.

BUZZZZZZZZZZZ!

Sorry, I'm a fan of Dr. B. but she is wrong on this. There is a class of 80 BCIS 3620 students who need 3630 before they can take their final semester. And I am being forced to go to... 26.gif UT-Arlington to get credit.

I am more and more impressed by her every time I read about her. I recently moved to Baton Rouge and work for the LSU system and am impressed by how everyone supports thier university. I really like the fact that she in a manner of speaking tells everyone to stop b*tching and move on to more important issues. So what if you can't find parking 2 minutes away from your class..I would rather spend the money on new buildings than a parking garage..or why people are crying that fry streeet is changing...I had really good memories on that street..at least the ones I can remember..but what business is it mine that I can dictate what they should do with thier own properties...I'd be pretty p*ssed off if someone was try to tell me what I could or couldn't do with my business just because you like the hippies sitting on the street panhandling for money...Give me a break! You go girl!

I like her and her answers. Some people feel otherwise, mostly about parking:

President Interviewed and Parking Talk

it's amazing the different attitude those students have toward the new prez compared to our attitude....they really don't like her!

LAZER....AWESOME JOB WITH YOUR COMMENTS!!!

Edited by radiogreen

it's amazing the different attitude those students have toward the new prez compared to our attitude....they really don't like her!

LAZER....AWESOME JOB WITH YOUR COMMENTS!!!

haha thanks mine were all the anonymous ones at the end with !!!!!!! and the use of the word moron!!!!! haha

The NT Daily this semester, aside from the sports coverage, has been piss poor. The editor has postured herself and the Daily into the "Watchdog" of the University. If there is something to report, I believe it should be reported, however searching and digging for something that simply isn’t there is just sensationalism. The voice of the paper as whole, again except for the much improved sports coverage, has been one of dissent and blind bias against anything that HAS to be done to get the University to be where it needs to be... not what’s being done for them. Frankly I find it all very embarrassing. The people who comment are a vast minority as far as general opinion are concerned, and are unfortunately a very vocal one. However the majority of the people I've talked to including those in my major (Metalsmithing... in the Art School) have done nothing but sing her praise, including what she's doing for athletics. The general consensus with those graduating (myself included) is that they regret that NT seems to be changing for the better right as we're leaving.

The people who understand what President Bataille is doing are the ones who will have a relationship with NT post graduation. These other fools will only remember what they weren't given for doing nothing.

On a side note: if anyone plans on attending the Inaugural events in the Union on Friday, please stop by the Union Gallery across thee hall from Wells Fargo. Our first project this semester was to create a commemorative brooch for President Bataille. She spoke to our class for about an hour... she is one kick ass lady. Go take a look!

Appreciate the comments on the sports coverage... we do our best. Would try to get a story in the Daily about the GMG bowl, but alas, its dead week.

The NT Daily this semester, aside from the sports coverage, has been piss poor. The editor has postured herself and the Daily into the "Watchdog" of the University. If there is something to report, I believe it should be reported, however searching and digging for something that simply isn’t there is just sensationalism. The voice of the paper as whole, again except for the much improved sports coverage, has been one of dissent and blind bias against anything that HAS to be done to get the University to be where it needs to be... not what’s being done for them. Frankly I find it all very embarrassing. The people who comment are a vast minority as far as general opinion are concerned, and are unfortunately a very vocal one. However the majority of the people I've talked to including those in my major (Metalsmithing... in the Art School) have done nothing but sing her praise, including what she's doing for athletics. The general consensus with those graduating (myself included) is that they regret that NT seems to be changing for the better right as we're leaving.

The people who understand what President Bataille is doing are the ones who will have a relationship with NT post graduation. These other fools will only remember what they weren't given for doing nothing.

On a side note: if anyone plans on attending the Inaugural events in the Union on Friday, please stop by the Union Gallery across thee hall from Wells Fargo. Our first project this semester was to create a commemorative brooch for President Bataille. She spoke to our class for about an hour... she is one kick ass lady. Go take a look!

Notice how she explained her disagreement with the term "tour," but the interviewer kept calling it that over and over? Kind of like Jim Rome calling Jim Everett "Chris."

I think the Prez is doing great work and I hope she continues!!!

Just to note, UNT & Bataille offically called it a tour over and over again in the press clipings. So I think the interviewer is justified. In House article discussing the national tour... :bangin:

The NT Daily this semester, aside from the sports coverage, has been piss poor. The editor has postured herself and the Daily into the "Watchdog" of the University. If there is something to report, I believe it should be reported, however searching and digging for something that simply isn't there is just sensationalism. The voice of the paper as whole, again except for the much improved sports coverage, has been one of dissent and blind bias against anything that HAS to be done to get the University to be where it needs to be... not what's being done for them. Frankly I find it all very embarrassing. The people who comment are a vast minority as far as general opinion are concerned, and are unfortunately a very vocal one. However the majority of the people I've talked to including those in my major (Metalsmithing... in the Art School) have done nothing but sing her praise, including what she's doing for athletics. The general consensus with those graduating (myself included) is that they regret that NT seems to be changing for the better right as we're leaving.

good post.

An impressive interview. (And, she is right-on about parking.)

From all indications I think UNT has the "complete package" this time as president. After she get established (which I sorta count as 12 months...making her hires, etc), this bodes well.

Despite some strong points the last guy had (e.g., nice guy, support of athletics, creation of Rec Center), I don't think the nuts and bolts of the university were managed as competently as they should have been.

I agree with her on just about everything she said.

The parking situation at UNT is fine. It's not the greatest, but you really can't expect to park right outside the building.

When finishing up school last year, I lived in an apartment off of Eagle behind the Frat houses. The parking lot between the Frat houses and my apartment building would be 90% empty year-round. Even during the first week of school, there were tons of open spots. It was a "Premium" lot, so it doesn't help those with "General" passes, but it just shows that there are plenty of spots open all of the time.

At it's definately not too far to walk. I walked to class everyday and walked to Fouts/Super Pit on Game Days.

Edited by BonfireBrian

She gave aggressive answers to aggressive questions. We shouldn't want her fumbling and sputtering over an impolite question -- after all, university president is not a job for the faint of heart. We also shouldn't want (student) journalists to have a love fest with a person they cover. It's their job to ask tough questions. She can take care of herself.

Granted, some of the questions could have used a little more polish, but that comes with experience.

Also, someone needs to teach them the difference between a comma and a period. It's a mistake repeated several times in the transcript.