Professor Weighs Unt’s Chances Of Winning Ncaa

GreenBat

Big clue to students:

08:15 AM CDT on Tuesday, March 13, 2007

By Peggy Heinkel-Wolfe / Staff Writer

Pssssst — business statistics students at UNT.

Here’s a clue to answer the two bonus questions on today’s exam — 1 in 100.

Those are Dr. J.B. “The Count” Spalding’s odds of the Mean Green’s Cinderella bid for the NCAA basketball championship, given a couple of generous assumptions.

You never slept till you had Dr. Kwanli's stat I and II. If I never see another bell curve again it will be too soon.

Rick

I remember almost falling asleep and then all of the sudden hearing some really weird noise out of his mouth with a weird expression on his face. That's really the only thing that kept me and the rest of the class awake.

I remember almost falling asleep and then all of the sudden hearing some really weird noise out of his mouth with a weird expression on his face. That's really the only thing that kept me and the rest of the class awake.

Exactly! He would clip that microphone up close to his mouth and of course the volume would be up high on the overhead speakers. Then out of nowhere he'd let out a zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzphuuuuuuuuuuuttttt!!!!!!!, or something that sounded like an IBM Selectrick losing it's printerball, and on he'd go talking. Stat terrets maybe?

Rick

I came up with approx 1 in 6000.

First game, I give UNT 10% chance which may be generous given the history of #2 vs #15 but let's go with that.

Second game, with increased confidence, I give UNT 20% chance.

So 1 in 50 chance of making Sweet 16.

At that point, I think confidence rises, but also there is still a competitive gap against what is likely to be continued high seeds. I say 30% chance of winning each game thereafter.

1 in 500 for Final Four

1 in 6000 as champion

What does Vegas say?

----That is REALLY optimistic... Even if every game was a coin flip (50-50) our chances would be 1 in 64 (less than 2%) If we go to a dice situation, which is still rather optimistic (1 in 6) Our chances are 1 in 45,656.

----Let's worry about them one at a time.... Beat Memphis and tame that Tiger.

I came up with approx 1 in 6000.

First game, I give UNT 10% chance which may be generous given the history of #2 vs #15 but let's go with that.

Second game, with increased confidence, I give UNT 20% chance.

So 1 in 50 chance of making Sweet 16.

At that point, I think confidence rises, but also there is still a competitive gap against what is likely to be continued high seeds. I say 30% chance of winning each game thereafter.

1 in 500 for Final Four

1 in 6000 as champion

What does Vegas say?

I just know that the favorite is obviously Memphis and they are predicting -18pt. 145 1/2 o/u