Its Official We Are Playing #2 Memphis

this is a really good situation for us. We could make a game of this. Im all kinds of pumped. Just called and got my tix... see you all in NOLA!

disagree, unfortunately. We were hoping for a matchup that would take advantage of our underrated athleticism. Memphis is arguably one of the top 3 in terms of athleticism. This is the last matchup I wanted :( Hope I'm wrong.

disagree, unfortunately. We were hoping for a matchup that would take advantage of our underrated athleticism. Memphis is arguably one of the top 3 in terms of athleticism. This is the last matchup I wanted :( Hope I'm wrong.

right, but i think we could have played with any of the C-USA teams (that arent memphis) and some of them gave Memphis a better game than you would have thought.

All the top 8 teams are athletic, so I dont know that we could have "taken advantage" of anyone.

I was really pulling for a matchup with A&M in NOLA, but I'll take Memphis. Either way, its a freaking tournament game. I'll take the 15 seed and the close proximity and enjoy it!

SMU went down to the wire against Memphis and lost by about 3 just a couple weeks ago. That was with only seven scholarship players. That said, Memphis looked a bit unfocused and had just played at UTEP a couple days earlier. Hardly anyone in C-USA played Memphis within 10 points. UH just lost in the title game at Memphis by 12. There's a reasonable shot here. 5% maybe but it's not like UNT got Florida or Ohio State. UNT will have a healthy team, JJ's home state and some Cinderella fan support. GMG!

last team I want to see us play against was memphis.....I would have rater it have ben TAMU, they are overrated in every thing they do.....Plus I think I would do backflips if we upset them....

TOUGH TOUGH GAME

Also where was our reaction shot from the Athletic Center, what a rip off, leave it to CBS to screw eveyone over.

right, but i think we could have played with any of the C-USA teams (that arent memphis) and some of them gave Memphis a better game than you would have thought.

All the top 8 teams are athletic, so I dont know that we could have "taken advantage" of anyone.

I was really pulling for a matchup with A&M in NOLA, but I'll take Memphis. Either way, its a freaking tournament game. I'll take the 15 seed and the close proximity and enjoy it!

Cal's offense takes advantage of the athletes that he has. Have you ever seen Memphis play (truly asking, not just a knock)? I have, and you could say even among the top 8, their athleticism goes incredibly deep. Going back to Cal's offense: it's a simple system that allows the players to take advantage of their abilities, roam free, dribble drive, or pitch out and 3. Not a whole lot of x-and-os, set plays, etc. There are some great coaches in CUSA (and other conferences) that can give them problems with the right scheming. That's what I think I saw with the teams that gave them problems this year.

The argument against everything I just said: Gonzaga. Great coaching, but Memphis still pulled away.

What am I hoping for? JJ's philosophy is kind of in the same line: not a whole lot of set plays, freedom to roam and dribble drive, etc. The last time Memphis clashed with a similar system (UTEP with former Memphis assistance Tony Barbee), it got sloppy and was a toss up til the end when Memphis depth really shined.

I love this kind of discussion. Would love to hear more perspectives. BTW, I think A&M would kill Memphis.

We are a 15th seed....I dont think its really needed to be discussing who we want to play. It is what it is....whoever we play was going to be a powerhouse, favorite, and even the better team. So that being said I am just happy we are in the dance and its bonus that we are a 15 seed....and I am excited cuz we are going to see a badass team in Memphis and I really want to see what our UNT boys are made of against a powerhouse like that.

Edited by Green Mean

You guys gotta be kidding me, we could have gotten North Carolina, Ohio State, the freaking play in game - there were a lot worse scenarios based on our circumstances. I think that we can go into this game actually having a CHANCE to win, not just show up - but WIN. I am not saying it is a great chance, but better then being a 16 seed or that dreaded play-in game. You guys need to be excited about playing Memphis in New Orleans... AND - if we do beat them, it will show CUSA why they need to let us in the next time around. This game has TONS of possible upsides.

Amazingly enough, we are playing a team that shoots FTs worse than we do...

No matter who we were to play, we are going to be up against it. When a 15 seed beats a 2 seed, it isn't because they match up well, it is because the 15 seed team wants the win more and leaves it all on the court and is better prepared, along with the 2 seed looking past the first round. A lot of things have to go our way, but that doesn't mean it's not possible. It's up to the coaching staff to give the players a chance by coming up with a great gameplan, and more importantly, making sure the team is focused and playing to the best of their ability.

Cal's offense takes advantage of the athletes that he has. Have you ever seen Memphis play (truly asking, not just a knock)? I have, and you could say even among the top 8, their athleticism goes incredibly deep. Going back to Cal's offense: it's a simple system that allows the players to take advantage of their abilities, roam free, dribble drive, or pitch out and 3. Not a whole lot of x-and-os, set plays, etc. There are some great coaches in CUSA (and other conferences) that can give them problems with the right scheming. That's what I think I saw with the teams that gave them problems this year.

The argument against everything I just said: Gonzaga. Great coaching, but Memphis still pulled away.

What am I hoping for? JJ's philosophy is kind of in the same line: not a whole lot of set plays, freedom to roam and dribble drive, etc. The last time Memphis clashed with a similar system (UTEP with former Memphis assistance Tony Barbee), it got sloppy and was a toss up til the end when Memphis depth really shined.

I love this kind of discussion. Would love to hear more perspectives. BTW, I think A&M would kill Memphis.

ATM really does not worry me (There are about 8 teams that match up well with us, but I don't see ATM being one of them, could be wrong), JJ worries me, yes we are deep, defense is really good, JJ & Cal both play the same type game, Gonzaga has a lot of talent, missing the heavy hitters, should be a good game, we are really happy since this is a rebuilding year (according to the talking heads). Think ya'll will have problem with our depth.

Guest Aquila_Viridis

I for one am absolutely thrilled about the matchup and the location. Sort of a New Orleans bowl all over again, and on Friday too. Can you imagine how great it would be to win? It's the fact that the odds are so against NT that creates all the upside. It will be a lot of fun. See you there!

So they were selling tickets for the Friday session... what happens if they make it to the Sunday game??? I guess I can always hop on my laptop and order online through MeanGreenSports.com

IF we somehow win on Friday , Im sure you could find them cheaper from a Memphis fan. Im sure they have all purchased tix for both fri & sun

So they were selling tickets for the Friday session... what happens if they make it to the Sunday game??? I guess I can always hop on my laptop and order online through MeanGreenSports.com

You could commit to buying tickets if we win. They'll also be setting up at the team hotel to take orders.

My first thoughts were UhOh, were playing a team with some serious athletes who ran through their CUSA schedule and is also a team that is fairly similar to us. Then on second thought, I decided that this could be a pretty good matchup. If we hit our "threes" and take care of our "frees" going down the stretch, we could make this a game. I heard them play the Cougars on the radio Saturday afternoon, and Houston sounded like they could have pulled that game out. I've seen Houston play a couple of times this year and I think we are definitely in their league. I hope a couple of our guys, which I will not name, are locked in the gym as I type and will not leave until they have hit a few dozen free throws in a row. N.O. and Louisiana in general are certainly becoming familiar turf for us and I hope to make this game. LET'S DO IT GREEN!!!!!!!! :D

Yes, I've seen them play. I watched a mediocre UH team play with them for a half. I'd be happy with that this year. Honestly, I dont really care about hypotheticals. I'm just happy to be in the tourney with a 15 seed and it will be fun to go, regardless of the turnout.

We played A&M really well AT their place last year. Im just glad we dont have to play Georgetown. Memphis played in a C-USA that isnt that much better than the Sun Belt. That's why I dont see them making it all the way.