Does Dodge Want Riley Here?

emmitt01

I don't know that he does or doesn't but I have to wonder if maybe even Todge thinks Riley is too good for North Texas. I believe that Dodge likes it here as much as the next guy but does he have the kind of "passion" for NT that we all do...or is this a "perfect fit" because he can be a head coach without having to move and can still keep his son at the same school and watch him on Fridays?

I guess my question is, what does Todd Dodge really think of NT? Would he steer his son toward any BCS school that he could because NT is "small time"?

I don't know that he does or doesn't but I have to wonder if maybe even Todge thinks Riley is too good for North Texas. I believe that Dodge likes it here as much as the next guy but does he have the kind of "passion" for NT that we all do...or is this a "perfect fit" because he can be a head coach without having to move and can still keep his son at the same school and watch him on Fridays?

I guess my question is, what does Todd Dodge really think of NT? Would he steer his son toward any BCS school that he could because NT is "small time"?

Just a guess, but I think if TD didn't want his son here, it's not because he things NT is "small time," but rather that he thinks Riley could benefit more from having a different coach. Not that TD isn't a fantastic coach, but if Riley really wants to take it to the next level, he's going to have to prove he's successful in other systems as well. I think it's going to depend on how well Riley does at SLC this year.

Honestly, Riley could probably start for most pro teams right now. Riley Dodge could take on Chuck Norris, Mike Ditka and Hurricane Andrew with only his left hand and a woman's size 8 high-heeled shoe- and it still wouldn't be a fair fight for the coach, the karate master, nor the act of God.

After considering all of that, I think it's pretty safe to say NT would be considered "small time", wouldn't you?

Honestly, Riley could probably start for most pro teams right now. Riley Dodge could take on Chuck Norris, Mike Ditka and Hurricane Andrew with only his left hand and a woman's size 8 high-heeled shoe- and it still wouldn't be a fair fight for the coach, the karate master, nor the act of God.

After considering all of that, I think it's pretty safe to say NT would be considered "small time", wouldn't you?

Really.... Who throws a shoe?...Really.

383_thumb.jpg

Guest GrayEagleOne

I don't think that Todd Dodge thinks Riley is too good for UNT. If UNT is so small time then why would Todd bother to come here.

It would seem to me that TD came here for these reasons:

1. He had been here before and liked the atmosphere.

2. He thought that he could be a 'difference maker'.

3. He saw a ton of potential for North Texas recruiting, fanbase, and facilities improvement.

4. It was very convenient; he didn't have to move.

5. While the salary isn't fantastic it should be roughly three times what he was making.

6. We were his wife's alma mater.

Todd is unique and appears to be a throwback to an earlier generation. He is a hard worker with a lot of loyalty. I don't think that he'd ever do what Graham did; reneging on his contract after one year.

I don't think that either Todd or Riley know what's best at this moment. Part of the decision could be based on the talent of the quarterbacks that we have on scholarship. If Vizza or Tune seem to walk on water, then Todd may feel that Riley might have only two years as a starter and advise Riley to look for more playing time if that is his wish. On the other hand he also might feel that the other pieces are in place except for quarterback and even try to persuade Riley to come help his dad out.

If Texas offers a scholarship to play quarterback Riley will still have some tremendous talent ahead of him, including Kinne who is only one year ahead. I somehow feel that North Texas might be number two for Riley but does not mean that he wouldn't go somewhere that would give him a better opportunity to play. Preferably somewhere that he could be a difference maker, such as Chase Daniel has been at Missouri.

I don't think that Todd Dodge thinks Riley is too good for UNT. If UNT is so small time then why would Todd bother to come here.

3. He saw a ton of potential for North Texas recruiting, fanbase, and facilities improvement.

5. While the salary isn't fantastic it should be roughly three times what he was making.

Todd is unique and appears to be a throwback to an earlier generation. He is a hard worker with a lot of loyalty. I don't think that he'd ever do what Graham did; reneging on his contract after one year.

I don't think that either Todd or Riley know what's best at this moment. Part of the decision could be based on the talent of the quarterbacks that we have on scholarship. If Vizza or Tune seem to walk on water, then Todd may feel that Riley might have only two years as a starter and advise Riley to look for more playing time if that is his wish. On the other hand he also might feel that the other pieces are in place except for quarterback and even try to persuade Riley to come help his dad out.

If Texas offers a scholarship to play quarterback Riley will still have some tremendous talent ahead of him, including Kinne who is only one year ahead. I somehow feel that North Texas might be number two for Riley but does not mean that he wouldn't go somewhere that would give him a better opportunity to play. Preferably somewhere that he could be a difference maker, such as Chase Daniel has been at Missouri.

Riley did wait his turn at SLC. '06 was his first year (junior) to start.

If next February Riley TRULY believes that he has a REAL chance to become a Heisman candidate type NFL quarterback prospect, then maybe he will decide that a currently more recognized program is best for him. If not, then I kind of think that NT would be a great place for him to go and develop his talent. Of course if Vizza or somebody else plays lights out, he may have to consider the prospect of a redshirt year and not having a starting opportunity until his final two years. But then again who knows? Things can change very fast and we could possibly provide him with that Heisman opportunity five or six years from now. Time will tell.

Might it be in everyone's best interest (especially those on GMG.com) that Riley Dodge declare very, very soon who he will be committing to so we can get onto other thread topics? :huh::D

Our Mean Green football program will not be made and for sure not broken with the signing of any one recruit no matter who that recruit would be; but of course, if UNT had a varsity baseball program that would be starting up practice about this time of year of which that Spring diversion (undoubtedly) would take many minds off of the next national recruiting signing date which is "only" (uh) one year from this month, folks.. :rolleyes::blink:

(Alas! MG Spring football is on the dockets very soon, too).

Right now, the main Dodge we have in our Mean Green Country showroom is the one whose first name starts with a "T" and I think most of us still feel very fortunate that we have him on payroll at our main campus in Denton.

PS: NEVERTHELESS...........SIGN WITH NORTH TEXAS, RILEY! B)

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

If Texas offers a scholarship to play quarterback Riley will still have some tremendous talent ahead of him, including Kinne who is only one year ahead.

In my opinion, Kinne is overrated. Chances are that Kinne will never start or even play a down at QB at Texas. He should not be a threat to Riley if he chooses Horns. If he plays its because there just isnt another body at the position. Texas is definitely thin at QB since VY ran off most prospects then bolted a year early.

In my opinion, Kinne is overrated. Chances are that Kinne will never start or even play a down at QB at Texas. He should not be a threat to Riley if he chooses Horns. If he plays its because there just isnt another body at the position. Texas is definitely thin at QB since VY ran off most prospects then bolted a year early.

I saw GJ Kinne play a bunch in high school and let me tell you he is a BEAST. GJ is bigger, stronger and faster than Riley and he's a coach's son, too. If GJ had played at Southlake none of us would have ever heard of Riley Dodge yet.

It would be career suicide for Riley Dodge to go to UT. UT recruits and plays the prototypes at QB, the Troy Aikman-types... Riley Dodge is a Doug Flutie-type. Texas already had a Doug Flutie-type quarterback. His name was Major Applewhite and he got screwed in favor of a prototype (Chris Simms). Riley would be much better served going to a lower-level BCS team like Missouri or Iowa State. Or even a non-BCS school like North Texas. But I will never forgive Todd Dodge if he lets Riley go to TCU or SMU.

Are we done beating this dead horse and running it deeper into the ground than oil drillers could pull off?

Kill me.

So who gets the Democratic nomination?

Hillary? The wife of the husband that slept around with anything on two legs, and whose marriage is a business arrangement, but shows up by his side coming out of a church after the Lewinsky ordeal?

Obama? Cigarette smoking, cocaine snortin' youngster from up North that is against the war?

Or should I highjack this to talk religion?

Hillary? The wife of the husband that slept around with anything on two legs, and whose marriage is a business arrangement, but shows up by his side coming out of a church after the Lewinsky ordeal?

Obama? Cigarette smoking, cocaine snortin' youngster from up North that is against the war?

I refuse to bite onto the flamebait.

*cough*Obama*cough*

UT already promised Kinne that they would pursue no more quarterbacks in this class (I read that in a Rivals article). So that means that UT must be recruiting Dodge as an athlete or WR.

For those of us who thought Spencer Stack would bring us to the promised land remember: you can never have too many talented quarterbacks.

If you do you'd better mention how the Republican party has used religion to justify some of the most insipid policy and defense moves in recent history...in this administration alone.

Any of those would be better than the fools bumbling around the White House right now.

Any of those would be better than the fools bumbling around the White House right now.

Yes, it would be great to have one of those Democratic sissies in the White House who would further cripple our population by making them dependent on government aid, and give the U.N. veto power over any legislation that does not conform to European norms. Sounds great, Einstein.

Yes, it would be great to have one of those Democratic sissies in the White House who would further cripple our population by making them dependent on government aid, and give the U.N. veto power over any legislation that does not conform to European norms. Sounds great, Einstein.

Don't whine about sissies when you have the Crawford Coward and his incompetent crew botching up the War on Terror.

Don't whine about sissies when you have the Crawford Coward and his incompetent crew botching up the War on Terror.

Okay, tell me about the Democrats' brilliant strategy for winning the War on Terror. Run away, run away. Yes, some boneheaded mistakes have been made by the Bush administration, but the Democrats provide no hope at all. The only people they're willing to attack relentlessly are unborn children who can't defend themselves.