North Texas To Face K-state In 08

Smitty

That 89 loss was a tough one.

We were ranked at or near #1 in 1AA, and KSt was considered the worst 1A FB team in the country. They had the nations longest losing streak.

We were coming off the year that we beat Tech, Rice & got screwed by UT. Lots of high expectations.

While it was a bitter pill to swallow, it was quite a hoot to see another college tear down it's goal posts because they beat us.

GMG

It just irritates me to no end when I continuously see other schools announcing their schedules to play UNT. Why can't we make these announcements and why can't we post our (unfinished) schedules? Ok, rant concluded.

On another note, any guesses at how long it will be before we see Utah State appear on our schedule??

I was the reporter for The Daily in 1989 who had the assignment of covering that game. Watching those goal posts come down was a surreal experience. You can look to that game as the turning point of the K-State program. Since that game, K-State has had a winning record. That game was a defining moment for the program.

Here's hoping a victory in Manhatten will be another defining moment for the NT program.

Click Here

KANSAS STATE FOOTBALL FUTURE SCHEDULES

8-30 Louisiana-Lafayette

9-6 Fresno State

9-20 @ Louisville

9-27 North Texas

10-4 Texas Tech

10-11 @ Texas A&M

10-18 @ Colorado

10-25 Oklahoma

11-1 @ Kansas

11-8 @ Missouri

11-15 Nebraska

11-22 Iowa State

NORTH TEXAS FOOTBALL FUTURE SCHEDULES

9-27 @ Kansas State

9-5 @ Louisiana State

9-12 Air Force

TBA @ Clemson

Thanks for links, but I don't know how much I trust that site. For 2008, it only has K-State listed under North Texas, but that big game we'ver been hearing rumors about against Miami is missing. Click the Miami link, and it says we're playing them in 2008.

I'm just a little frustrated that our athletic department doesn't communicate OFFICIAL scheduling info before the entire season is finalized.

This is interesting...while checking the Navy schedule for a UNT game in Annapolis (none appeared), I noticed a scheduled game against Notre Dame:

10-6 @ Air Force

TBA @ East Carolina

TBA Notre Dame @Dublin, Ireland

TBA vs. Army

Edited by gangrene

Thanks for links, but I don't know how much I trust that site. For 2008, it only has K-State listed under North Texas, but that big game we'ver been hearing rumors about against Miami is missing. Click the Miami link, and it says we're playing them in 2008.

I'm just a little frustrated that our athletic department doesn't communicate OFFICIAL scheduling info before the entire season is finalized.

This is interesting...while checking the Navy schedule for a UNT game in Annapolis (none appeared), I noticed a scheduled game against Notre Dame:

10-6 @ Air Force

TBA @ East Carolina

TBA vs. Army

There have been a few college football games played in Ireland before. (N Dame and Boston College I think have both played there).

I'm not sure that we will owe Navy a return trip (by playing in Annapolis). I think that Navy is playing us.....to satisfy our agreement with the MAC conference. (The MAC owed us a home game...and now Navy is not playing MAC member Bowling Green, and is playing us). Just speculation there, but it makes sense.

I'm not sure that we will owe Navy a return trip (by playing in Annapolis). I think that Navy is playing us.....to satisfy our agreement with the MAC conference. (The MAC owed us a home game...and now Navy is not playing MAC member Bowling Green, and is playing us). Just speculation there, but it makes sense.

Agree. This is probably a one & done deal.

While it was a bitter pill to swallow, it was quite a hoot to see another college tear down it's goal posts because they beat us.

kstate88_207x238.jpg

What made the drive back so freaking long after this loss was that Scott Davis and company owned K State most of the day and led much of it. However, holding onto a small lead, we punted very late in the game and pinned them inside their own 5 yard line and had them in a 3rd and long with something like 1:12 left in the game. On that third down their QB throws from his endzone a prayer chunk down the right sideline which went 5 yards over the defender and recievers' heads. But both players, while looking back over their shoulders collided a bit and the K State player falls down causing the Big 8 referee to throw the flag, awarding K State a 1st down at their own 30 or so. Complete bullshit call but very typical when playing on the road as the underdog. With time running down K State dink, dink, and dinks down the sideline several times and gets to our 12 yard line. With 4 seconds left in the game their QB finds a reciever open in the back corner for the winning TD. Sickening! I laughed my ass off though watching them carry pieces of the goal post up onto campus. Pretty funny. But I was convinced then, especially after that amazing '88 season the year before, that North Texas should be playing D I rather than I-AA.

Rick

• Upvote 1

kstate88_207x238.jpg

What made the drive back so freaking long after this loss was that Scott Davis and company owned K State most of the day and led much of it. However, holding onto a small lead, we punted very late in the game and pinned them inside their own 5 yard line and had them in a 3rd and long with something like 1:12 left in the game. On that third down their QB throws from his endzone a prayer chunk down the right sideline which went 5 yards over the defender and recievers' heads. But both players, while looking back over their shoulders collided a bit and the K State player falls down causing the Big 8 referee to throw the flag, awarding K State a 1st down at their own 30 or so. Complete bullshit call but very typical when playing on the road as the underdog. With time running down K State dink, dink, and dinks down the sideline several times and gets to our 12 yard line. With 4 seconds left in the game their QB finds a reciever open in the back corner for the winning TD. Sickening! I laughed my ass off though watching them carry pieces of the goal post up onto campus. Pretty funny. But I was convinced then, especially after that amazing '88 season the year before, that North Texas should be playing D I rather than I-AA.

Rick

Rick, is that you pictured on the goalpost in your underwear?? :blink: You're a brave man posting that picture with Quoner lurking around the forum! :lol:

10-6 @ Air Force

TBA @ East Carolina

TBA vs. Army

I belive the Miami game was for 2009, not 2008.

Oh, that's right. I forgot to add:

Kansas State Wildcats in the 1980's:

Athletic Budget....$8.8 Million

In the Big 8 Conference with an automatic tie in to the nationally televised Orange Bowl, with many secondary bowl options to recruit to.

Players on Scholarship......20 more than 1-AA North Texas

North Texas Mean Green in the 1980's:

Athletic Budget.....$900,000

In the Southland Conference. No bowl tie in. 1/16th chance to make 1-AA playoffs with an opportunity to make a 4 line column on the back page of the Dallas Times Herald to recruit to.

Players on Scholarship.......20 less than 1-A Kansas State

North Texas faced much greater odds for success in the 80's but never let it get in the way of being competitive.

Rick