How Many Times...

marc_moffitt

How many times are we going to get beat with less than 5 seconds on the clock at home, and walk out stunned?

I was talking to my friend at the game next to me when we got the free throw, and said "we have been beat several times in in the Pit with less than 5 seconds on the clock."

I believe this is the 3rd time (maybe 4th) this year we have been beat with less than 5 seconds on the clock, and twice that we have been beat with 2 seconds on the clock this season.

It brings back memories of the game we lost last year with 0.8 seconds left and the long cross country throw to the hoop with an Alley-Oop to win by 1 point

Very frustrating for players, fans, coaches, etc....

I'm not bashing JJ, or the rest of the staff, I think they have shown some real progress this season, but it is definitely frustrating to watch.

Edited by marc_moffitt

SPORTS 88...you are right on the money. I would've have trusted our guys to cover somebody down the court while not giving NO the time to draw anything up. Did we not have anyone on the ball??????? God Bless. 90% of last second plays are thrown to the opposites end top of the key....we call timeout..let them draw something up...we don't defend the most obvious outlet for the ball. Flat out stupid. Bell, you're a point guard...hit your free throws in the clutch...2 games he hasn't converted(at least he hit one tonight)

As a general rule, Johnny Jones does not put anyone on the inbounds pass in those situations. I'm not going to make the case that I know enough to dispute that decision, but maybe if the inbounder had someone to contend with, he wouldn't be able to get the shooter the ball in good enough position to get a shot. I wasn't able to watch last night, but McCaleb is one incredible player to be able to beat a double team and get a game-winning shot off.

By the way, my most memorable game winning shot against NT at home was the 3 from just beyond half court that Anthony Winchester banked in in 2005.

Edited by TicketJohn

THE general rule is to put somebody on the ball...usually your tallest man so you don't have a duke/kentucky repeat. Kills the good look by the passer and forces him to put more air under the ball that allows defenders to get a hand on the rock. we just let the guy throw a flat laser down the court and let the dude catch it. Watch the replay...very poorly played.

THE general rule is to put somebody on the ball...usually your tallest man so you don't have a duke/kentucky repeat. Kills the good look by the passer and forces him to put more air under the ball that allows defenders to get a hand on the rock. we just let the guy throw a flat laser down the court and let the dude catch it. Watch the replay...very poorly played.

I totally understand the strategy behind putting someone on the passer, I just know that Johnny Jones doesn't do it. I wonder where he picked that up. I also wonder how many other coaches do it.

When I heard him talk about it a couple of years ago it sounded like it was a debate that could go either way, but he just preferred having more players down the floor.

Any basketball coaches on the board here?

Edited by TicketJohn

I agree with putting someone on the inbounds pass. Howerton is tall and can move pretty well, why wasn't he jumping around in front of that guy? The other thing that kind of bothered me during the game was Bo getting his 4th foul with something like 10 minutes to go. Why wouldn't you just go at him every time down the floor? He's a great player and it might not have worked, but after the way he has lit us up everytime we play I'd take my chances. It seemed like they backed off.

So UNT has lost 4 straight games to New Orleans...and 6 of 9 to New Orleans since McCaleb came into the league (although McCaleb was absent for the 2 games last year).

Those losses have been by 1, 2 (in 2 OTs), 3, 1, 4 (in 2 OTs) and 2 (on a last second shot). The wins have been by 6, 1 and 3 points.

McCaleb has scored 31, 18, 39 and 25 in the New Orleans wins he's participated in. 18, 25 and 24 in the losses.

Not sure what this all means...but this series with New Orleans has been extremely close to have 9 games in 4 years and none of them decided by more than 6 points.

I agree with putting someone on the inbounds pass. Howerton is tall and can move pretty well, why wasn't he jumping around in front of that guy? The other thing that kind of bothered me during the game was Bo getting his 4th foul with something like 10 minutes to go. Why wouldn't you just go at him every time down the floor? He's a great player and it might not have worked, but after the way he has lit us up everytime we play I'd take my chances. It seemed like they backed off.

PUT SOMEONE ON THE INBOUNDS PASS!

Also, I TOTALLY agree about going at McCaleb. I could tell the refs were shy about calling that 5th foul but we should have driven at him to force their hand. How many times did he drive to the bucket and get either the hoop, the foul or both?

how many times did we go to the hole and not finish or get a foul called...KD was just off....watson had some of the best looks he's had all year and couldn't hit....it happens.

next game...count the number of times bell brings the ball up court...passes to KD on the right side...he dribbles left to the top of the key and goes nowhere. Watson gets the hand off in some sort of bush league weave...again not getting into the paint. Just bushleague

You people saying putting someone on the inbounder is a general rule must not watch a lot of basketball....it's a philosophy some coaches do some coaches dont....i see you all bitching about not about the fact that we had TWO people on Bo Mccaleb and let him catch the damn ball.....that is on the players not Johnny....if i were coaching in that situation since NO had no timeouts i probably wouldn't have called time out though...you shouldn't have to call a time out there if your doing a good enough job coaching your kids should already know what to do in that situation

As a general rule, Johnny Jones does not put anyone on the inbounds pass in those situations. I'm not going to make the case that I know enough to dispute that decision, but maybe if the inbounder had someone to contend with, he wouldn't be able to get the shooter the ball in good enough position to get a shot. I wasn't able to watch last night, but McCaleb is one incredible player to be able to beat a double team and get a game-winning shot off.

By the way, my most memorable game winning shot against NT at home was the 3 from just beyond half court that Anthony Winchester banked in in 2005.

The problem is this is becoming the definition of insanity for JJ (doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result). His current way of doing it (not guarding the inbound pass) is NOT working!!!!! We've lost 2 games (& almost a 3rd) by not guarding the inbound passer. Stop making it easy to get the ball to half court! This is especially true when the guys are not really going to try and block the shot for fear of fouling. You got to make them throw the ball, and consequently catch the ball, in a spot they don't want to. Man, I'm sick and tired of seeing clean releases to half court and beyond.

Edited by GMoney

That timeout was one of the dumbest calls I've ever seen. N.O. would of likely been limited to an absolute prayer shot had it not been called. We have a problem if our players are not well coached enough to know what to do defensively in that situation without calling a timeout. More upsetting to me than the UTA loss. I've been sitting patiently on the fence as far as JJ is concerned, but now I think I've fallen and I can't get up.

cut it with the JJ love.

personally i feel we were lucky we even had a shot to win that game....we didn't play well enough to win and probably should have been blown off the floor...to play as bad as we did we did a great job to even have a chance to win that game

Edited by mwynn05

Calling timeout with 2 seconds and then allowing a clear throw down court? I was listening on the internet and didn't realize this is what happened for the kid to get the ball where he did.

The tournament can't get here soon enough. After that we will have a better feel for where this program is headed.

RIck

the guy he is throwing to is double teamed what more can you ask for if you guard the inbounder he will make a quick fake run down the baseline and with as quick as mccaleb is he will get open when guarded one on one and probably get a better look than he got....he just threw up a fade away falling down prayer with two guys in his face that went in

the guy he is throwing to is double teamed what more can you ask for if you guard the inbounder he will make a quick fake run down the baseline and with as quick as mccaleb is he will get open when guarded one on one and probably get a better look than he got....he just threw up a fade away falling down prayer with two guys in his face that went in

I think we did the best we can according to JJ's gameplan. It was a miracle shot and kudos to him for being so clutch.

The bigger question is why doesn't JJ do the norm: put a guy on the inbound. The idea is to force him to pass up/around the defender, thus giving the ball more air time and the defenders a better chance to get to it before/at the same time the intended receiver (bball..."receptionist". w/e) does.

Of course, I could be full of it because I'm not a coach. I think we're over-analyzing this anyways. The guy just made an incredibly clutch shot. If JJ isn't here after this season, it won't be because of this single instance.

personally i feel we were lucky we even had a shot to win that game....we didn't play well enough to win and probably should have been blown off the floor...to play as bad as we did we did a great job to even have a chance to win that game

This is why I feel the way I do about JJ. Why in the world do we continue to come out flat?

Double teamed or single covered it becomes a much harder catch and shoot situation if the guy throwing the ball inbounds has to alter his pass. Why in the world do you think "Quarterback hurries" is a statistic in football? It's because simply pressuring the passer causes worse throws.

And if you're using his being "double teamed" as an excuse then the argument gets all the weaker. We can cut off a pass to a guy we know is getting the ball using two defenders? Of course, if you don't take timeout and allow them to draw up the play this is a moot issue.

Double teamed or single covered it becomes a much harder catch and shoot situation if the guy throwing the ball inbounds has to alter his pass. Why in the world do you think "Quarterback hurries" is a statistic in football? It's because simply pressuring the passer causes worse throws.

And if you're using his being "double teamed" as an excuse then the argument gets all the weaker. We can cut off a pass to a guy we know is getting the ball using two defenders? Of course, if you don't take timeout and allow them to draw up the play this is a moot issue.

your leaving out one thing....the guy throwing the ball in can run the base lineif he puts a quick move on the guy guarding him he can still get a good pass off and with mccaleb's quickness he has a good chance to be open.....what yall dont get is there is no right or wrong in that situation....there are a lot of coaches who put someone on the inbounder in that situation there are a lot who will do what jj did....if he made the shot and he had someone on the inbounder yall would still be bitching..i do agree he shouldnt have called time out after the freethrow and that that was a big mistake and cost us big time.....and ill say it once again we were lucky not to get beat 15 or 20 in that game i find it somewhat impressing that we lost by 2 when we shot as poorly as we did yeah we made some mistakes but jj made some good decisions as far as running the offense and working the posts when we werent making shots....and i think im on record as saying johnny hasnt done a good job in a lot of games this year

Edited by mwynn05