Who's Your "pick To Click"?

SUMG

I think every one of our signees has great potential. I could see many of them becoming good college players, and some becoming great college players.

If you had to, right now, just pick one player, who you think will be the best of the bunch.....who would that be???

It's hard to decide.

After much deliberation....my "Pick to Click":

A.J. Penson, LB, Lufkin

If Vizza ends up growing a couple more inches and can spend 4 years as the QB with Dodge here, he may be a great college QB and a real NFL QB/WR prospect. That's a lot of if's, though, especially considering that Dodge may pull in more QB recruits in coming years. I'm not sure if Vizza is meant to be the 'franchise' QB or if he's meant to be a 1 or 2 year starter. Does anyone know his 40 time?

Really, looking down the list the two that I expect to be great for us in college and make a run at the NFL are Sam Roberson (WR) and Matt Tomlinson (OL), simply based on their size.

Edited by ColoradoEagle

I'll say Padron. He is a ballplayer plain and simple. He has played in the system for many years. From all accounts he is an on the filed leader and a very smart player. What he lacks in speed I think he will make up for in technique. I think he has Chris Hurd written all over him. My pick on offense would be Roberson.

I'll say Padron. He is a ballplayer plain and simple. He has played in the system for many years. From all accounts he is an on the filed leader and a very smart player. What he lacks in speed I think he will make up for in technique. I think he has Chris Hurd written all over him. My pick on offense would be Roberson.

Wasn't chris hurd like 2 inches taller and 30lbs heavier? Just asking. :D

I'm gonna have to go with Roberson as well. This seems as though it should shape up to be a very solid class. One thing to remember though. When you bring in 6 receivers a few of them will help out now but may not do much later on. For now it was filling the needs of his offensive scheme, depth at WR. Very happy with Russo, Penson, and Padron.

Edited by H-towngreen

The big WR's, Roberson & King should be outstanding "pro style" wideouts, that we have not had at NT in a long time. Evan Walker reminds me of a guy named Wes Welker from TT a few years back. Dodge said A.J. Penson was the best defensive player he played against while at SLC in 80 games! I really like Hager, he's a football player. Sleepers are Lewis & Mosley. Don't forget about Evan Fentriss transferring either. He was a mighty good one at SLC.

Edited by UNT Mean Green

This is the kind of O-Line that we need or at least the size of Matt Tomlinson (6-6, 265). I think that he needs to put some weight on so he can block for the QB of the future and let my pick of Sam Roberson get open!!

Long term, I think this is the biggest signing. One of our biggest problems the last few years has been the lack of a prototypical BCS bookend left tackle. Tomlinson is not the lumbering giant typical of a lot of freshman OLs. He's a solid 270, but you look at his frame, and you can see the potential for another 20-30 pounds easy. And it doesn't look like a little extra weight would seriously affect his mobility.

Honorable Mention: Breece Johnson and A.J. Penson.

Guest GrayEagleOne

The beauty of this class is that anyone of you could be right. This is a nice balanced class. One name that hasn't even been hinted at could be a real sleeper...that would be Marquese Davis. Almost an unknown until he was a senior, he had a good enough year to be picked for the Emfinger All-Star Game in Shreveport. He had the second most tackles in the game and was named the West Linebacker MVP.

Still, I've got to go with Vizza, who won a passing accuracy contest, and Penson.

One other distinction about this recruiting class. We won the initial race with an A.J., B.J., and J.J.

Obviously the wr's are going to play, with only one returning player with significant experience, Brandon Jackson and TD using 8 wide receivers. Vizza has as much chance as anyone to start at QB. I expect both offensive linemen to redshirt unless there is a problem with the long snap. The defense returns a lot of experienced players and IMO linebackers, the secondary, and defensive ends are pretty solid. The defensive tackle positions are the weakest and it it conceivable that Scoggins or Desoto could play major roles. With the exception of WRs, QB, and defensive tackles, IMO NT is in good shape and any newcomers that start will do it because they are exceptional players and are able to beat out some fairly good players.