Original Plans For The Stadium Call For A Starting Capacity Of 32,000

WIFE2HOT4U

I am no fan of Grammar Nazi's, but there is a difference between being a Grammar Nazi and trying to prevent the rape and pillage of the english language.

the guy never posts with perfect grammar- and they all know that- so one could rip apart anything he posts on here. I am not a fan of the use of improper grammar either, but I don't go out of my way to point out every single person's mistakes on a freaking message board. I just get over it and try to find the point of whatever the person was attempting to make- if there was one to be found. There are plenty of people that post on here with gud gramer skils that stil dont hav n-e-thing inlightening or inciteful to offer.

Edited by Eagle1855

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the guy never posts with perfect grammar- and they all know that- so one could rip apart anything he posts on here. I am not a fan of the use of improper grammar either, but I don't go out of my way to point out every single person's mistakes on a freaking message board. I just get over it and try to find the point of whatever the person was attempting to make- if there was one to be found. There are plenty of people that post on here with gud gramer skils that stil dont hav n-e-thing inlightening or inciteful to offer.

His grammar and logic are his persona on a message board. If he want's to come across as the K-Fed of GoMeanGreen.com then that is his decision, but no one should be shocked if he is held up for ridicule.

kfed2.jpg

It would be wonderful to have something similar to that at North Texas.

Eliminate the upper seats in the end zones and have the sideline seats be a single huge ramp on each side.

The really nice thing is that it has HUGE club room and luxury box capacity and those suites and clubrooms are up there exactly where they are supposed to be. Those clubrooms can be used for events like wedding receptions and coctail parties on days when a game isn't played, and they won't interfere with the collegiate atmosphere or sightlines on those days when there is a game.

This stadium looks awesome! Plenty of room for expansion!

Personally I really like the horseshoe design that Minnesota is using for their new on-campus stadium. There is an upper deck but it's done right. Club level and suits are at the top of stadium. (It sure is nice to see what you can build when you can use state money)

Check out the schematics...

http://www1.umn.edu/stadium/stadium.php

I haven't finished reading the thread so forgive me if this has been covered - but from the campus map (for the Master Plan) - it shows our football stadium to be a horseshoe; so you will get your wish there if all goes through! But I doubt that our stadium will look like their's... from their website sectioned "Why build a stadium?"

The University has a solid plan to build a $248 million, 50,000-seat, Gopher-only campus football stadium. This is the best option for the University and for Minnesota.

Now - we already have the AC and theirs would probably include a new one of those, I am assuming - but oura was only like $9 million to build... and the stadium is looking to be about $60 million - total of $70 million or so... so they are spending a considerably larger amount of money then we will be... BTW, their stadium calls for seating for 50K. And they are a big time BCS school. There is NO reason why we should start off any bigger then 32K seats. We can realistically fill it and expand it if needed. A 40K seat stadium with 15K-20K fans in it will look EMPTY. A 32K seat stadium with 15-20K fans it it will look almost (3/4) full. Having a full stadium does lots of things for us - money obviously is a big factor, but so is morale (for both the fans AND the players)... plus, it looks much better on TV. A stadium that is designed the right way can make a nice Sun Belt conference game crowd look just as big as a BCS game crowd. When I watch Troy on tv at Movie Gallery Stadium there in Troy, it has the look and feel or any Baylor or Kansas game that I might tuned into/attented.

In fact, the Kansas football stadium is pretty much a dump... I have been there (last time we played up there) and it is honestly not much better (if any) then Fouts. It has a track, the place is run down, and the seats are far away from the action on the field. The restrooms are about as disgusting as Fouts and most of the concession stands were closed on the visitor's side causing a VERY LONG walk just to get a Coke (and very long lines when we got over there!). To top it off, they have no parking - I mean - NONE.

The Kansas stadium is tucked into a residential area kinda like the Cotton Bowl - only difference is that the houses are run down from being college party pads rather then being crackhead houses.... so the parking situation is actually worse (and less safe) then the Cotton Bowl area; at least with the Cotton Bowl/Starplex Apitheatre omplex, there is SOME parking availanle in actual spaces, just not enough. This usually means that you are probably going to have to force yourself to trust "Joe" or "Jane" College Student) with parking your car in his or her front/back/side yard; and that is for the lucky fan that gets flagged down off the street. Joe/Jane usually pulls out their trusty old flag during a commercial/tv break from the game that they are watching or when it is time to make a beer run and they need money(or whichever comes first, lol)... and they charge you like $10 to $20 bucks dependent on how far they live from the stadium and how long the walk is to the entry gates (but for the most part it will give you an edge over the next guy trying to get a space is you throw in a 24 pack of Meister Brau, lol)- all this trouble, to park in someone's front yard... I am being totally serious about all of this, too... That is pretty much the way that 90% of the fans have to park there at the KU stadium. The worst part is that they cram cars into their front/side/back yards so much that they constantly need to move them around before/during/after the game so most of them require that you leave your key(s) with THEM! Just a horribly planned stadium and it really makes me appreciate a delayed (but properly planned) stadium in Denton come 2009 or 2011 ot whenever the hell it opens!!!!

p.s. - sorry about the spelling, it is late and i just woke up/am still exhausted - but I can't get back to sleep either - so I thought I would read some GMG to wear me out - now I am tired from typing a Plummer Like Post - go figure! Time to go back to bed!

:blink: I don't even know where to begin. Carry on. Untgirl04 - I'll let you handle this one.

*sigh* Occupational hazzard. I'm fairly adept at deciphering text, but sometimes it just makes my head spin. Blame it all on the stringent Masters Technical Writing program at North Texas. Thanks, Dr. Matthews. :shocking:

On topic: I think a 32K stadium, with intimate seating to the field, will provide the atmosphere we all crave at North Texas games. Just as long as the stadium is expandable, I'm happy with whatever well-planned stadium we build.

Who would be happy with SMU's Ford Field being placed just north of the AC?

I like the horseshoe and I'm a big supporter of having some endzone seats, but I don't think there should be the same number of rows behind the goalpost as there are at the 50. Just 8 or 10 rows of seats in the endzone please.

My point is that Ford's capacity is 32,000, and I think many of us would be happy to have that facility. But to hear folks in this thread, they sound like 32,000 is ridiculously low.

It's ridiculously low considering we're building a stadium for, probably, the next 50 years and NT is horrible about building anything new. So if 32,000 are built today, I guarantee you there'll be 32,000 twenty years from now, or maybe they'll build a huge metal bleacher grandstand in front of the athletic center.

I would not be terribly disappointed with 32K. I would prefer 36-38K, though, with virtually limitless options for future expansion. I do not have the fear that others have that we'll never expand. If the program advances to the point that it needs to be expanded, it will be.

My point is that Ford's capacity is 32,000, and I think many of us would be happy to have that facility. But to hear folks in this thread, they sound like 32,000 is ridiculously low.

Beggin' a few pardons, but don't we sorta' insult ourselves when we tell ourselves that our building a stadium the size of SMU's is going to be large enough for our UNT constituency? :rolleyes::o:unsure::huh:

YOU TELL ME, OK? :)

With 5.6 million DFW'ers who live anywhere from 30-45 minutes from where our new stadium will be (and Coach Todd Dodge having already stated that he wants the Mean Green to be "the Metroplex's Team," right? :o

With close to 100,000 NT Exes that live in the DFW Metroplex

With the City of Denton at 100K population plus/minus a few faces

With Denton County even larger than the city of New Orleans was before Hurricane Katrina and.........

............with a UNT enrollment (approaching 34,000) that even mega-millionaire/UNT donor Mr. Goldfield (himself) forecasts will only be #2 behind UT-Austin in enrollment in the future...............

............nevertheless..................with all the aformentioned statistics and our not basing any of our future on way too much from the past (and leaders who didn't inspire us to act our size back then); some would ask many more of you to ask yourselves if "32,000" is going to be large enough?

If we build our new football palace at 32,000, we'd all be kicking ourselves in the A$$ in 10 years while probably those who set 32K as the construction figure will most likely be long gone. NOTE: This facility will be so unlike the Super Pit because Texas is still football country for most Texas citizens--this poster included.

FWIW...........most of your Texas D1 on-campus basketball facilites are being filled by the locals (we could only wish) and students who live on campus. I mean, how many folks such as Deep Green are driving up from the Golden Triangle (Beaumont, Port Arthur & Orange) to attend a Mean Green basketball game these days? In fact, how many coming up from Weatherford, too? :rolleyes:

And NT Exes who are Dallasites with all that Interstate 35E traffic for a 7:00 PM tip off? Gimmee' a freakin' break on that one. NOTE: I35-W traffic from Fort Worth to Denton is hardly like a Sunday afternoon drive in the country anymore, either-----have you tried that interstate lately to see what I mean? :blink:

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

You know, some of you people are dead on. I should have bought a Chevy Tahoe instead of a Toyota Matrix, based on the fact that I might someday have a family ... nevermind that I am single and not dating any one girl on a steady basis.

Remember, for our new house, it is going to be roughly 1 to 1.5 million dollars per 1,000 seats we put in it. Unless we find us some sugar daddies, it's going to later then 2009 before we see that new stadium unless those of you wanting a 50,000 seat stadium are willing (and able) to pony up the difference.

You know, some of you people are dead on. I should have bought a Chevy Tahoe instead of a Toyota Matrix, based on the fact that I might someday have a family ... nevermind that I am single and not dating any one girl on a steady basis.

Remember, for our new house, it is going to be roughly 1 to 1.5 million dollars per 1,000 seats we put in it. Unless we find us some sugar daddies, it's going to later then 2009 before we see that new stadium unless those of you wanting a 50,000 seat stadium are willing (and able) to pony up the difference.

Now, now.... :rolleyes:

All this has always been contingent on UNT finding a Sugar Daddy (or 2 or 3), UNTFanf23 and that seems to be the obvious direction where we (or rather, Dr B & Rick V) are headed; unless that is...............all from GMG.com are going to pool all our resources and build a 60,000 seat stadium! :lol:

I said it from Day One (ad nausem) when we knew we would have to eventually implode Fouts Field: For UNT to build a new football stadium, we will need a Big Donor (or 2 or 3 or 4). That has never changed from Day One IMHO, and when we get into that stratisphere of would-be UNT "donor-dom" why not tell them (probably more than one Big Donor BTW) how important those few thousand extra seats will be for a future 45,000 main campus enrollment UNT of whom students from that future era will be cursing all of us in this present era if we merely build them a stadium the size of a small private school located in University Park, Texas.:(

Can we ever leave behind our not so glorious football past, of which we always seem to base way too much of our tomorrows on our yesterdays; especially our leaving most of the last quarter century of our MG football "roller coaster" experience behind and just try to conjure up a glimpse into a future UNT? :huh:

ADDENDUM: One of our posters and long time fans has already posted that the latest capacity plans are actually already set at 35,000 as it is, so what's all the excitment about 32K in the first place?

Edited by PlummMeanGreen