Derek Lewis Leaves Dodge's Staff

NT80

(This is presumably to go join the U. Minnesota Gopher staff. Lewis' former TE coach at UT was named Head Coach recently and was rumored to have offered him a job there. I wasn't sure how a career TE guy was going to coach NT defensive ends anyway.)....

Lewis leaves football staff

Former Texas standout Derek Lewis has left UNT’s staff to pursue other opportunities, sources close to the situation said Wednesday.

Lewis was hired by new UNT head coach Todd Dodge to coach the Mean Green’s defensive ends after spending two seasons as a graduate assistant coach at Texas. Lewis spent three seasons with the St. Louis Rams and was part of their 1999 Super Bowl championship team before starting his coaching career.

Edited by NT80

Is this a bad loss? I don't know much about his role here and if he was thought of highly.

He was here less than a month and had minimal contact with the current players. I'm not sure if he brought in any of these recruits or not. If it ends up costing us a recruit, then it will be a gad loss, but I believe the recruits want to play for Coach Dodge.

We hired a TE coach to coach DE although he may be a good coach I'm sure we can find someone who has coached the posistion he is hired to coach I really don't feel this is much of a loss.

So you think a position coach leaving North Texas for the Minnesota Vikings isn't that much of a loss? It's not gonna destroy our program (lol), but it would've been nice to have that caliber of coach throughout the ranks.

Edited by ColoradoEagle

So you think a position coach leaving North Texas for the Minnesota Vikings isn't that much of a loss? It's not gonna destroy our program (lol), but it would've been nice to have that caliber of coach throughout the ranks.

He is not leaving for the Vikings it is for the Gophers.

Leaving Denton to go live in Minneapolis? That's a downgrade.

I've been to Minneapolis a few times within the last few years and I personally thought Minneapolis was a very nice and beautiful city. Afcourse the cold sucks but I thought it was a very nice place. And he's going from NT in the SBC to Minnesota in the Big 10. I think its an upgrade all the away around IMO.

I've been to Minneapolis a few times within the last few years and I personally thought Minneapolis was a very nice and beautiful city. Afcourse the cold sucks but I thought it was a very nice place. And he's going from NT in the SBC to Minnesota in the Big 10. I think its an upgrade all the away around IMO.

Gonna have to agree...spent an afternoon there last April...very clean...nice people.

A former article indicated Lewis and TD are like brothers and I'm sure it's tough to part so soon. TD hires good coaches and he will always encourage someone do what is best for them. We need to get accustom to it as that's just what good coaches do. Fortunately that's what attracts the best prospects and TD is secure enough in himself to simply reload a coach like he does his players. I don't see a huge loss here other than the good fit he was for the staff.

Edited by Cool