Scoggins To Unt

green_goblin

Link

Tight end picks UNT

Posted: Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Trinity tight end Jordan Scoggins (6-foot-3, 248 pounds), a Star-Telegram Area 50 and State 100 player, canceled a trip to Iowa State this weekend and has committed to North Texas. Scoggins was rated as one of the top tight ends in the state.

— Trae Thompson

Excellent pickup.

Rivals had him listed as a 2 star recruit, 6'2", 257lbs., running a 4.8 forty with a 5.3 rating. It also shows that he considered Central Arkansas, Houston, Iowa State, UTEP and Tulane. Scout.com had him ranked as the #61 TE with offers from Iowa State, Houston and TCU plus interest in Tulane and TX Tech. Nice to see us beating out these teams for players. I wonder what TD's plan is for him considering he doesn't utilize the TE much, if any, in his offense.

Edited by UNTLifer

The Latest: Iowa St. faces little competition for TE — 1/18/2007

TE/DL Jordan Scoggins from Euless (Tex.) will officially visit Iowa State on the weekend of January 26. And unless something unforeseen happens on the visit, he will likely commit to becoming a Cyclone.

Another photo and article:

http://rivals100.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=631158

Edited by NT80

Excellent pickup.

Rivals had him listed as a 2 star recruit, 6'2", 257lbs., running a 4.8 forty with a 5.3 rating. It also shows that he considered Central Arkansas, Houston, Iowa State, UTEP and Tulane. Scout.com had him ranked as the #61 TE with offers from Iowa State, Houston and TCU plus interest in Tulane and TX Tech. Nice to see us beating out these teams for players. I wonder what TD's plan is for him considering he doesn't utilize the TE much, if any, in his offense.

Defensive End or Defensive Tackle, possibly? Seattle Seahawks 1st round pick DT Marcus Tubbs was a TE coming out of DeSoto High School but was recruited to play DT at Texas.

You can NEVER have too much talent on a team. Great pickup!!

Edited by Got5onIt

Am I the only one that has to pinch himself now and then to make sure he isn't dreaming all this? The caliber of players that are committing to NT now is amazing.

No, you are not alone. I am right there with you, in absolute disbelief at this year's recruiting results. More amazing is the fact that this is happening on short notice, with just four weeks on the job. Now we're beating out Big 12 schools, TCU, SMU, Houston for kids who are without question Division I-level talent.

I sincerely hope that someone in the media, come signing day, recognizes the amazing job that Coach Dodge and his staff have done this year.

Edited by Smitty

No, you are not alone. I am right there with you, in absolute disbelief at this year's recruiting results. More amazing is the fact that this is happening on short notice, with just four weeks on the job. Now we're beating out Big 12 schools, TCU, SMU, Houston for kids who are without question Division I-level talent.

I sincerely hope that someone in the media, come signing day, recognizes the amazing job that Coach Dickey and his staff have done this year.

:huh::blink:

say what?

I sincerely hope that someone in the media, come signing day, recognizes the amazing job that Coach Dickey and his staff have done this year.

:huh: ........ :blink:

My only comment is this. Since Scoggins made it clear that he wanted to play TE in college (which is why he was attracted to Iowa St.) why has he changed his mind about NT? Has the coaching staff promised him a shot at TE. Does TD's (and Fords) offense even have a TE?

:huh: ........ :blink:

My only comment is this. Since Scoggins made it clear that he wanted to play TE in college (which is why he was attracted to Iowa St.) why has he changed his mind about NT? Has the coaching staff promised him a shot at TE. Does TD's (and Fords) offense even have a TE?

No

He will need to get some speed to play off. or add some pounds to play D

While I am thrilled that a highly rated prospect would choose UNT over more recognizable programs, I am thoroughly perplexed as to why he would choose to come here instead of a Big 12 school (who also happens to have a new, highly-touted coach) where he could play the position where he proved he could play and wanted to play. :blink:

While I am thrilled that a highly rated prospect would choose UNT over more recognizable programs, I am thoroughly perplexed as to why he would choose to come here instead of a Big 12 school (who also happens to have a new, highly-touted coach) where he could play the position where he proved he could play and wanted to play. :blink:

One of the things he worried about was how cold it was up in Iowa. I know, I know, silly reason, but hey he did mention that as a concern.

No

He will need to get some speed to play off. or add some pounds to play D

I am assuming that you're saying no to the TE question. If that is the case, are you saying that he needs to get speed to play in the OL? or at WR?

If there are no TE's in the offense, then there are several athletes on the North Texas team that have a decision to make. Most notably;

Bryant Seidle TE, 6-3 X 230 fr.

Victor Gill TE 6-5 X 235 Fr.

David Collins, 6-4 X 220 Fr.

Draylen Ross played some TE early in the season, but he's still listed as a DE in the 11-04-06 game program.

Also, what about the FB's on the team. Keronna Henderson and Ryan Davenport? Does the TD/Ford offense have FB's in it?