Any Word

greenminer

Some must have been upset after Dickey was let go. After all, he did give many of these men chances to play at positions, or play AT ALL, when no one else gave them a look.

Are any of them happy/excited with the TD hire? I wonder how many lost to his SLC teams when they were playing prep. If you see something like that from across the field, how can you not be anxious about possibly tasting the same success at the college level?

-gm

NO PLAYER WILL LEAVE BECAUSE TD IS NOW HERE.

BUT:

IF ANYONE WANTS TO LEAVE BECAUSE THE SITUATION HAS SOMEHOW GOTTEN WORSE THAN 5 WINS N 2 SEASONS , PISS POOR COACHING AND A LACKLUSTER FAN BASE , THEN GOOD LUCK TO YA ELSEWHERE , WE PROBABLY DON'T WANT YA. wink.gif

***IM SURE THERE ARE PLAYERS WHO FELT LOYAL TO DD AND I CAN'T BLAME THEM ONE BIT. IM SURE HOWEVER THEY ARE SMART ENOUGH TO REALIZE THAT THE CHANGE WAS MADE FOR THE BETTER AND THAT THINGS ARE FINALLY LOOKING UP FOR NT FOOTBALL.

Edited by NT03

I asked one player what he thought and he said that he looks like he'll be good. Something to the effect of he seems that he cares about his players and that DD didn't talk to the players very much.

Seems ironic to hear that last part. All I heard when DD was here was how much of a "player's coach" he was.

Doesn't matter now.

-gm

OK, I will not mention names, but I work with a lady whose best freinds son is a prominent player for NT and she came by my room last week to let me know that he was extremely excited about TD coming in. Sounds to me like the players are ready for a change. Don't take that as a knock on DD, players usually love their coach, but also understand the nature of the business and are probably ready for a change. They needed a boost in the program as bad as we all did. Probably more.

OK, I will not mention names, but I work with a lady whose best freinds son is a prominent player for NT and she came by my room last week to let me know that he was extremely excited about TD coming in. Sounds to me like the players are ready for a change. Don't take that as a knock on DD, players usually love their coach, but also understand the nature of the business and are probably ready for a change. They needed a boost in the program as bad as we all did. Probably more.

I'm gonna take a wild stab in the dark, Maverick (Marshall Mavericks?), and guess you're talking about Super Jamario. How would he fit in in TD's offense?...haven't really seen much of SLC, but would assume that someone like Evan Robertson would be a better fit as a quick scat back....what's the word from the people?...will Super Jamario return to form under TD??

The spread we will run will be nothing like what hawaii runs

I think they meant score out of OUR spread like Hawaii scores out of theirs.

Either way, as long as we can keep getting first downs, the defense will play rested. Not something we saw regularly the last two years. In their defense, pardon the pun, IMO they played well this season despite being on the field too much. Props to the DC for that.

-gm

I'm gonna take a wild stab in the dark, Maverick (Marshall Mavericks?), and guess you're talking about Super Jamario.  How would he fit in in TD's offense?...haven't really seen much of SLC, but would assume that someone like Evan Robertson would be a better fit as a quick scat back....what's the word from the people?...will Super Jamario return to form under TD??

---If you spread out the defense then the line of scrimmage is not stacked up. This means the RBs can get a LOT of yards when they run IF the QB actually throws the ball quite a bit which means their defense has to cover the receivers rather close. The spread offense doesn't mean you throw every down (or even most of them), just scare the defense into covering them and opening up the middle,

I'm gonna take a wild stab in the dark, Maverick (Marshall Mavericks?), and guess you're talking about Super Jamario.  How would he fit in in TD's offense?...haven't really seen much of SLC, but would assume that someone like Evan Robertson would be a better fit as a quick scat back....what's the word from the people?...will Super Jamario return to form under TD??

I wouldn't call Tre Newton a scatback. And I don't think that TD would pass on utilizing a national rushing champ.

I think that Jamario could have a really big year.

I wouldn't call Tre Newton a scatback.  And I don't think that TD would pass on utilizing a national rushing champ.

Yeah... imagine if all of a sudden you couldn't be the focal point of an entire defense. This might be pretty special year for J-Mo.

I wouldn't call Tre Newton a scatback.  And I don't think that TD would pass on utilizing a national rushing champ.

And might I add that players like Ricky Williams and Taurean Henderson thrived in Tech's system, even though they didn't get a "handoff" 20+ times a game. These guys were key cogs in tech's offensive machine. They received "traditional" handoffs ~5 times a game, but were thrown screens 10+ times a game.

Yes, Marshall Mavericks, not there anymore.

NO, I was not referring to Super Jamario. This player is not from the east texas area. I am not sure how Jamario fits in the system.

Of the players that were in the back during the press conference, the one I saw get a few smiling looks from the other players as Dodge quickly fended off the qb and recruit questions was a very tall and able Nathan Tune.

Some of you are presenting a quiet confidence about this Tune kid. I'll be anxious to see what he does.

Ya'll could feel free to elaborate what you know in the meantime smile.gif

-gm

Edited by greenminer

Some of you are presenting a quiet confidence about this Tune kid. I'll be anxious to see what he does.

Ya'll could feel free to elaborate what you know in the meantime :)

-gm

Tall, fairly strong looking arm with better than average accuracy. Moves very well. Greatest asset seems to be that he's very quick to pick up what an offensive coach lays down. I watched him on TV in the Texas HS coaches All Star game in August. He threw very well on the run. Considering he only played QB his senior in HS(won state championship at Celina) he picked up the passing system for the All Star game very quickly and excelled at it to the point that had he possibly thrown for another TD he could have easily won the offensive MVP of that game. He walked on at NT and ended up running one of the offenses for the first scrimmage of the year and did very well. So much so that he ended up with a scholarship a week later. Redshirted for the '06 season and has 4 years to play.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

North Texas carrying a Tune

It was good to read today about Celina’s ex-QB Nathan Tune earning a scholarship at North Texas. The true freshman went there as a walk on and shined in North Texas’ first scrimmage. Tune is about as good an athlete as I’ve ever seen come out of Celina in my six years here. He did an outstanding job helping lead Celina to the 28-12 victory against Omaha Paul Pewitt in last year’s Class 2A Division II championship by rushing for three second half touchdowns, including a 56-yarder in the fourth quarter. He outshined Ennis’ Clark Harrell for the North in the

Texas High School Coaches All-Star game last month.

Posted by David Hinojosa email.gif at 1:59 PM (E-mail this entry) | | Comments (1)

Comments Thanks David for the kind comments re: Nathan! You, we all saw what he can do in the THSCA All-Star game. Had his HS circumstances been different, he probably would have had big stats and been considered one of the top QBs in the State (at least in DFW area) out of the 2005 Class. Mind you, Celina is a special place and we would not trade our 7 years here for anything. Very special community without question!! However, press and spotlight for Nathan was not meant to be. I call him "Cinderella Man" since he was underutilized in a power running offense and in 2A which gets little to no respect from D-1 schools. I can say that the good Lord must have bigger plans for him as he was put to test on several occasions over the past 8 months going back to the State Game. He broke his throwing arm elbow in the district tract meet last April (running high hurdles/a coach walked in front of him while doing his run up) which delayed his weight lifting/throwing 2 plus months. He then survived a accident (rollover) in his truck (2 weeks before All-Star game) where his girlfriend made him put his seatbelt on seconds before the accident (speed was not a factor). He shouldn't have been able to play in the All-Star game due to life crippling injuries or even loss of life. I told him the "Big Man upstairs must have big plans for him and soon" to get his attention and let him escape with only scrapes from crawling out of the window while upside down. His girlfriend and another friend also escaped unharmed. How awesome to have a miracle performed on/for you at such an early age! I have a feeling Nathan is going to do some special things for UNT. He is a great story right under your nose and just up the road!! As for Celina, you guys need to give them more coverage. I feel confident in saying that there is no place in the State of Texas that supports their youth more than Celina (no matter the activity). Every kid in the community is supported by the entire community. It is truly unique.

Posted by: Steve Tune | August 20, 2006 11:26 AM