Which assistant coach would you keep?

Charlie NT 73

Here is a "What If" question for you-

What if you were hired to be the new head football coach at NT-

Would you keep any of the assistant coaches? If so, which ones, or, would you bring in your own staff?

I would keep Kenny Evans for LB's, Eric Russell for special teams, and hire

Andy Brewster for the OL, and find a spot got Chris Hurd.

Question--Will the strength/conditioning coach stay, or is he gone also?

Here is a "What If" question for you-

What if you were hired to be the new head football coach at NT-

Would you keep any of the assistant coaches? If so, which ones, or, would you bring in your own staff?

I would keep Kenny Evans for LB's, Eric Russell for special teams, and hire

Andy Brewster for the OL, and find a spot got Chris Hurd.

Question--Will the strength/conditioning coach stay, or is he gone also?

I would keep Eric Russell for sure. Outside of that, I would probably keep one or two of the defensive staff. I don't think the new coach will keep any of the coaches on the offensive side of the ball.

As I've said before, I don't think Bleil or Archie have been here long enough for a coach to make a decision about them. If I were the coach, I would probationally keep Brewster, Bleil, Russell, and Archie unless I absolutely disliked them the moment I met them.

To ease the transition, in my mind you should keep at least one familiar face, if nothing else to help communicate between players and the coach. From what I've heard, Brewster, Bleil, Russell, and Archie have excellent rapport with the team and have earned respect. If I as a coach can get them on board with me, things would be a lot easier.

The new coach will keep no more than two off this year's staff. He has commitments to some of his own buddies who want to make the rise up from high school ball. I am assuming that it is 'Dodge Ball' for 2007.

Guest GrayEagleOne

Buff 64 is probably right. He may already have thought about he might get if he is selected. I feel fairly sure that he will want to retain one of the current staff for transition.

IMO his best pick would be Bleil but Coordinators do not often stay. In that case, I'd want to retain Kenny Evans. Kenny knows the ropes (with North Texas) more than any other coach and could be especially helpful with recruiting.

Perhaps a better question might be...if you could only retain one coach, who would it be?

Guest GrayEagleOne

I just noticed the second part of charlie's question concerning the strength & conditioning coach.

The strength and conditioning coach is a part of the Athletic Department and not the football staff. He and his staff cater to all sports, not just football.

TRUTH SERUM SOMETIMES TASTES BAD TO SOME

One alum I spoke to this weekend told me this: "One of UNT's past glaring weaknesses has been its attempt to persevere its athletic program with those on its payroll who were part of an unsuccussful program; or at least one that had no higher profile aspirations."

It was also our fellow alum who came from the "any new AD at UNT should all but clean house and bring in mostly all his people if those on payroll before his arrival were found to be part of a clique that was part of a not so successful clique that were part of a not so successful athletic program." Who could not diagree with that alum? I wholeheartedly agree with that alum. After all, don't we need to change almost 2 1/2 decades of what we've mostly been getting?

Before Rick Villarreal came to town and UNT had (what was reported as "50" total members in the Mean Green Club) well.......................whose job had it been prior to Rick V's arrival in bringing in that whopping total of 50 MG Club members and whose job was it to do all the fundraising BRV (before Rick Villarreal)? sad.gif

Whoever that person is, I would hope he/she is no longer on the UNT payroll and if he or she is on the payroll then there might be some who would want to ask the question.............................WHY? sad.gif FWIW, we are still not the Mean Green Retirement Center for those who were part of a low expectation "operating in a lower profile" UNT athletic department. We are (hopefully) leaving all that kind of modus operendi in the past soon. Sorta' hard to hide behind numbers that show failure now isn't it? wink.gif

So......................should we strap a new Mean Green HFC with even more pressures than he is already going to have?

<>*<> Let the new man hire "HIS" folks...............folks; after all, if you were in his shoes wouldn't you want to be able to do the same? sad.gif

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

TRUTH SERUM SOMETIMES TASTES BAD TO SOME

One alum I spoke to this weekend told me this: "One of UNT's past glaring weaknesses has been its attempt to persevere its athletic program with those on its payroll who were part of an unsuccussful program; or at least one that had no higher profile aspirations." 

It was also our fellow alum who came from the "any new AD at UNT should all but clean house and bring in mostly all his people if those on payroll before his arrival were found to be part of a clique that was part of a not so successful clique that were part of a not so successful athletic program."    Who could not diagree with that alum?  I wholeheartedly agree with that alum.  After all, don't we need to change almost 2 1/2 decades of what we've mostly been getting?

Before Rick Villarreal came to town and UNT had (what was reported as "50" total members in the Mean Green Club) well.......................whose job had it been prior to Rick V's arrival in bringing in that whopping total of 50 MG Club members and whose job was it to do all the fundraising BRV (before Rick Villarreal)? sad.gif 

Whoever that person is, I would hope he/she is no longer on the UNT payroll and if he or she is on the payroll then there might be some who would want to ask the question.............................WHY? sad.gif  FWIW, we are still not the Mean Green Retirement Center for those who were part of a low expectation "operating in a lower profile" UNT athletic department.  We are (hopefully) leaving all that kind of modus operendi in the past soon.  Sorta' hard to hide behind numbers that show failure now isn't it? wink.gif

So......................should we strap a new Mean Green HFC with even more pressures than he is already going to have? 

<>*<> Let the new man hire "HIS" folks...............folks; after all, if you were in his shoes wouldn't you want to be able to do the same? sad.gif

Good post Plum

Guest GrayEagleOne

Jim, I'm going to 'sort of' agree with you on that. There certainly can be a lot of deadwood in a low-producing program. But, as our friend Deep Green has often said the speed of the captain = the speed of the crew. It almost seems that anyone under Craig Helwig who showed a little initiative was soon gone. Tim Fitzpatrick comes to mind. I felt like many on the staff just worked for Helwig; in other words, they just did as they were told. The reason probably was that it costs money to make money and we were trying to hard to stay within budget.

Now, if the staff was given the tools to work with and they simply didn't produce then I say 'don't let the door hit you...'