New Name has surfaced

bdan2002

http://www.huskers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SP...6&Q_SEASON=2006

Former All-Big Eight selection and head coach at Oklahoma

Owns three championship rings, including one in college and two in the NFL

Considered by many to be the nation's top recruiter, John Blake is a former head coach in the Big 12 Conference and brings a unique blend of collegiate and NFL experience to the Husker staff. Blake works directly with the Nebraska defensive linemen, including the tackles and defensive ends.

Blake's proteges on the defensive line played a major part in the resurgence of the Blackshirt defense in 2005. The Huskers finished the campaign ranked in the top 30 nationally in all four major defensive categories, including being the top-ranked unit in the country for sacks and tackles for loss.

Under Blake's guidance, defensive end Adam Carriker returns in 2006 as a preseason All-American after registering a league-high 9.5 sacks as a junior. Carriker helped the Huskers post the second-highest number of sacks (50) and tackles for loss (140) in school history, including 33.5 by Blake's defensive linemen. Carriker was the team's defensive MVP and was named to the All-Big 12 first team while also being selected for the Lombardi Award watch list in 2005.

Carriker was not the only Blake pupil to earn major accolades, as defensive end Barry Turner earned first-team freshman All-America honors after posting an NU freshman record six sacks last year. Overall, the Huskers return 34.5 of the team's 50 sacks from 2005, including 22 by Blake's defensive linemen and ends.

In the spring, a pair of Blake's pupils joined the professional ranks as Le Kevin Smith and Titus Adams were selected in the 2006 NFL Draft by the New England Patriots and New York Jets, respectively. The selection of Smith and Adams gives the Huskers a total of 11 defensive linemen selected in the past nine NFL drafts.

In 2004, Blake's defensive line helped Nebraska rank second in the league and 11th nationally in rushing defense. The Huskers allowed just 104.0 rushing yards per game, including a league-low 2.9 yards per attempt.

Since joining the Husker staff, Blake has also played a prominent role in Nebraska landing some of the best recruiting classes in the country over the past three seasons, including reeling in a top-five ranked recruiting class according to several recruiting services in 2005. His role in luring the nation's top prep athletes to Nebraska led to Blake's inclusion as a finalist for National Recruiter of the Year according to Rivlas.com.

Blake came to Nebraska from Mississippi State where he served as the defensive line coach for one year. He was the director of a professional developmental camp called "A Chance To Advance Football Camp" for four years before joining MSU. Among his clients were Miami Dolphins defensive end Jason Taylor, Atlanta Falcons linebacker Keith Brooking, New Orleans Saints defensive end Darren Howard and Indianapolis Colts defensive end Dwight Freeney.

A former All-Big Eight nose guard at Oklahoma, Blake played for Coach Barry Switzer from 1979 to 1982. He coached at OU under Switzer and Gary Gibbs and also paired with Switzer in the NFL at Dallas, serving as the Cowboys’ defensive line coach from 1993 to 1995.

At OU, Blake began as a student assistant working with the defensive line in 1985 and earned a national championship ring that season. The Sooners lost just two games during his first tenure on the staff as a student assistant.

Blake’s first full-time assistant position was at Tulsa in 1987 and 1988, where he coached the tight ends and wide receivers. He returned to his alma mater in 1989 as the Sooners’ defensive line coach, then served as Gibbs’ linebackers coach from 1990 to 1992.

After being lured by Jimmy Johnson to Dallas, five players made the Pro Bowl during Blake's three seasons with the Cowboys. Blake's defensive line was considered part of one of the best defenses in the NFL during his tenure. Dallas won two Super Bowls (1993 and 1995) during Blake’s term with the Cowboys, the first under Johnson and the second under Switzer. Dallas' 1994 defensive front led the league in rush defense and the entire unit was the NFL’s top-ranked defense and second in the NFL in sacks.

Blake returned to his alma mater to serve as head coach of the Sooners from 1996 to 1998. In those three years, OU posted 3-8, 4-8 and 5-6 records, respectively, and Blake was responsible for recruiting the majority of the starters on Oklahoma’s 2000 national championship team.

Blake earned his bachelor’s degree in public relations and recreation from Oklahoma in 1986. He and his wife Freda (Tulsa, Okla.) have one son, Jourdan.

The Blake File

Date and Place of Birth: Born on March 6, 1961, in Rockford, Ill.

Family: Wife, Freda; son Jourdan (10)

Education: University of Oklahoma, bachelors in public relations and recreation, 1986

Playing Experience: 1979-82, Oklahoma

Coaching Experience: 1985, Oklahoma (student assistant/defensive line); 1986, Oklahoma (graduate assistant); 1987-88, Tulsa (assistant coach/tight ends/wide receivers); 1989, Oklahoma (assistant coach/defensive line); 1990-92, Oklahoma (assistant coach/linebackers); 1993-95, Dallas Cowboys (assistant coach/defensive line); 1996-1998, Oklahoma (head coach); 2003, Mississippi State (assistant coach/defensive line); 2004-present, Nebraska (assistant coach/defensive line)

Recruiting Emphasis: California (Southern), Florida (Miami), New Jersey, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Texas (Southern, Houston, Galveston)

Interesting. He has great credentials and is considered the top recruiter in the country. How was his record at OU?

Terrible. He had 3 win teams at OU, but he took over the Howard Schnellenberger disaster and his recruits won the national title just after his short tenure. Most OU fans consider the Blake tenure a disaster for W's and L's while he was there, but even his most ardent critic will tell you he was a HELL of a recruiter.

Edited by CaribbeanGreen

Just recruiting will probably get you pretty far in the Belt. I wonder if he has changed anything in his strategy after he saw Stoops come in and win a championship with HIS players.

I always thought he was a disaster at OU, but I am intrigued by him at the least.

Regardless of who we choose or who your favorite is - I feel like these things are a crap shoot anyway.

I seem to remember him in a brooha allegedly accusing Aikman only yelling at the black players thus causing some racial tension on those Cowboy teams. I don't know if there is any truth to that, but that was a rumor I've heard more than once.

As for his coaching at OU. It's well known that he only got the HC job when Switzer went to bat for him with the OU admin/alumni. The man CAN flat out recruit. ( Look what Stoops did with his players ) But he can't coach himself out of a paper bag.

Edited by Baby Arm!

I seem to recall big problems at OU under Blake's watch.  Shady football program, athletes' grades, etc.?

Good Memory. I seem to recall a very poor graduation rate under Blake. I may be wrong since it has been a few years , but I think that was a big problem.

Even still Blake's 3 year record @ OU was 12-22. It's one thing to be able to get high rated recruits , but its another to actually make them play to there ability. If you go back and look at past recruits who were rated 5 star or whatever more times than not they do not pan out all that great.

Edited by NT03

not no but...HELL NO!!!!!

wait. sure he won 3 games his 1st yr at ou, against some very good opponents. imagine what he could do against sbc, wac, and confusa opponents. our biggest problem seems to be our inability to land top recruits(no disrespect to our current players).

Guest Aquila_Viridis

wait. sure he won 3 games his 1st yr at ou, against some very good opponents. imagine what he could do against sbc, wac, and confusa opponents. our biggest problem seems to be our inability to land top recruits(no disrespect to our current players).

The problem is, recruiting good players into a Belt school would be the toughest challenge he ever faced. In three years he went 3-8, 4-8 and 5-6. Um...just say no.

I seem to recall big problems at OU under Blake's watch.  Shady football program, athletes' grades, etc.?

Blake did learn about coaching from Barry Switzer so grades and honesty are going to be secondary to guns, sex and rock-n-roll. Not that I personally have anything against a little guns, sex and rock-n-roll!

Blake started the “Troy is a racist” thing at the height of the Troy and friends against Switzer and friends battle. I vividly remember Nate Newton’s response: just count. There are 11 starters on a team and 3 are white. Troy isn’t going to yell at himself, although he did get mad at himself. Troy yelled went ANYONE makes a mistake.

It must have gotten pretty bad in the Cowboy’s locker room. Blake was going to wait till after Superbowl XXX to take over at OU, but suddenly “he was immediately available.”

Does he still weigh 300+? He had been pushing 400 when he was first up for the OU job and his weight was one reason OU hired Schnelly. He lost some weight before the next interview.

Well as an OU season ticket holder since 1995, let me tell you how bad of a coach Blake was. He changed offensive coordinators and systems like they were socks. His special teams were a joke especially in trying to get a punt off. One game against Kansas, OU badly out gained the 'hawks but lost by 20 becasue of a couple of blocked punts and returns given up. Now his D was pretty good with R. Ryan as coordinator, but other than that they sucked.

Blake started the “Troy is a racist” thing at the height of the Troy and friends against Switzer and friends battle. I vividly remember Nate Newton’s response: just count. There are 11 starters on a team and 3 are white. Troy isn’t going to yell at himself, although he did get mad at himself. Troy yelled went ANYONE makes a mistake.

There was also the "Troy is gay" rumor that came from Switzer's people and was used by Skip Bayless in one of his Cowboys books. Aikman dealt with that clown regime with a remarkable amount of poise. I didn't realize until he began broadcasting how savvy he is. I just figured he was a hell of a quarterback who stayed away from the press because he was somewhat camera-shy. Clearly, he was carrying out a strategy to keep himself out of a bunch of Switzer-era BS.