My questions about Todd Dodge

emmitt01

1)How will he recruit? He hasn't had to recruit AT ALL while in the high school ranks, but not just because it's against UIL rules. He hasn't had to recruit because these kids' daddies get jobs at DFW or close to Southlake and send their kids to Carroll. The area and school recruit for him. At NT there is no such built in advantage. Anyone know of a "come work at Peterbilt and bring your kid with 4.3 speed" program?

2)What do we do when the media attention dies down? If we're not winnin, we're not winning. I know everybody says we'll sell all these tickets and butt so many butts in seats but come on guys, we all know the North Texas fan base. We'll probably have a really great crowd for the home opener because people want to see the new circus in town. What about after that though? We all know that attendance can take a nose dive if we aren't winning. Season tickets are what, $75? That's not enough of an investment to prevent people from staying home if the product still isn't good. I know that winning isn't guaranteed with any coach but it seems that some on this board assume there is a magic elixir named Todd Dodge.

3)How much longer will the spread be a can't miss strategy? Seriously. The wishbone was a juggernaut...for a while. The Wing-T was great...for a while. Westcoast? Check. Run and shoot? Yep. I want to know, how good can Todd Dodge coach football. Not how well can Todd Dodge coach his style of football, how well can Todd Dodge coach football. I don't know that he can't but I think we all remember what a one-trick pony will get you offensively.

4)How many of the players that Dodge would bring in here have been running his offense since the 7th grade? The players at Carroll have. There will be a learning curve plain and simple, how steep will it be?

I'm not saying Todd Dodge wouldn't be the best option, he may well be. I just don't want us to fall in love with the head cheerleader and then find out she's horrible in bed.

Emmitt, I'm nervous about this hire as anyone. I like the Dodge factor but there are many questions about recruiting that bother me. The glaring one is whether TD can effectively recruit the inner cities of Dallas, Fort Worth, Houston, etc. This was brought to my attention by a very respected friend of mine. Many people believe that Dodge will be the recruiting pied piper to Denton. I'm just a little bit nervous. unsure.gif

1) It's not like the HC is a one-man recruiting machine. Everybody on the staff plays a role in recruiting. What sort of staff would he put together, how does he manage them, what role does he take putting together a game plan, how does he "coach" during a game?

2) Hopefully you bottom out above where you were the last time you bottomed out (growth and progress).

3 and 4) I guess that is what you find out. Does a coach show flexibility in adapting to the talent he has or does he stubbornly do the exact same thing over and over regardless of talent, match up or game situation?

Part of this is a risk/reward scenario. I'm not saying that Dodge is a risky investment, but typically with higher risk, you expect the potential for a higher return. If you are risk adverse, buy a CD and be comfortable with what you get.

Keith

The questions of the recruiting of the innner cities is the most overrated and over analyzed question I've seen regarding TD. There are 4 black head coaches in all of D1 football. Do these 4 have a monopoly on black athletes? No, you recruit a black athlete the same way you recruit a white athlete - run a fun style of offense/defense, give a legitmate chance at playing time, win, and don't try to be somebody you are not. Kids are sick of the sales pitches and big promises. Also, as mentioned earlier, recruiting is a staff wide project not just the responsibility of one man.

Edited by GMoney

This recruiting question is a very hot one right now for sure and the longer we go without a somewhat clearer picture of where we will be from a coaching standpoint, and if RV doesn't pull his head out and let the staff that is there now, go recruit, we will not be getting anyone of worth this year. Can anyone tell me why we are not out recruting now?

This recruiting question is a very hot one right now for sure and the longer we go without a somewhat clearer picture of where we will be from a coaching standpoint, and if RV doesn't pull his head out and let the staff that is there now, go recruit, we will not be getting anyone of worth this year. Can anyone tell me why we are not out recruting now?

Technically we can't, as that's not the case anymore.

What I find really odd (amusing) about this coaching situation is that usually one of the assistants is the front runner for the position (Patterson at TCU for example). I have not heard one word of Evans or RF talk for the positon (except in jest).

I think the recruiting question is a big one. The thing is, at this point, we don't know if ANY of the candidates can recruit to North Texas. Recruiting to Texas and South Carolina would in theory be worlds easier. In my view, they are all equal on a recruiting basis until somebody comes in here and either succeeds or bombs. There will always be "what if"s.

What I find really odd (amusing) about this coaching situation is that usually one of the assistants is the front runner for the position (Patterson at TCU for example).  I have not heard one word of Evans or RF talk for the positon (except in jest).

That hardly ever happens when a coach gets fired for not getting the job done.

Emmitt, I'm nervous about this hire as anyone.  I like the Dodge factor but there are many questions about recruiting that bother me.  The glaring one is whether TD can effectively recruit the inner cities of Dallas, Fort Worth, Houston, etc. This was brought to my attention by a very respected friend of mine. Many people believe that Dodge will be the recruiting pied piper to Denton. I'm just a little bit nervous. unsure.gif

To me a larger concern than recruiting is hiring someone that has never been a head coach at any level. Assistants don't always make the best leaders. Many new head coaches struggle to compile an effective staff then organize them, much less a playbook or system of their own. Then there's the PR factor...can they fundraise, speak to an audience or media effectively? Many assistants have never had to.

What I find really odd (amusing) about this coaching situation is that usually one of the assistants is the front runner for the position (Patterson at TCU for example).  I have not heard one word of Evans or RF talk for the positon (except in jest).

I have found out that RF will be interviewing for a position at ARMY this weekend.

Why can't we?  Are you saying that even though we are paying ALL of the assistants till the END of February that they can't go out and continue recruinting?

If that is the case, that makes NO sense.

Asking assistants who will probably be out of a job to go out and sell your program, not knowing who the new coach will be, to potential recruits? Tell us 1999 what sense that makes ? ph34r.gif

Edited by MeanGreen61

This recruiting question is a very hot one right now for sure and the longer we go without a somewhat clearer picture of where we will be from a coaching standpoint, and if RV doesn't pull his head out and let the staff that is there now, go recruit, we will not be getting anyone of worth this year.  Can anyone tell me why we are not out recruting now?

Are you losing your mind? How are we going to get a coach to sign with us and tell him that he is stuck with the previous coach's recruits? RV knew damn well what he was doing when he let DD go. It was PERFECT timing. It gives us time to recruit with the new coach after he is hired so that he can bring in HIS recruits, not have a lame duck season with someone else's recruits. We also are going to get the best athletes from the area and state AFTER they have been turned down by OU, UT, and ATM... that is a fact. After the display that Dickey has put on over the last 3 weeks, do you really want his staff out there talking to potential recruits???? Come on!

I have found out that RF will be interviewing for a position at ARMY this weekend.

Scoop-Poop: And I hear Flanagan will get that job and be responsible for recruiting the DFW area. rolleyes.gif (OK, gol' darn it, I'm just kiddin'). wink.gif

This thread confuses me a bit: unsure.gif Is there a new NCAA rule that says a caucasian HFC can no longer hire a very sharp (up and comer of a) black assistant football coach to assist in inner city recruiting (and any other area where he (they) would be needed?

One of my favorites (as I know he was many of yours with some of you who even played under him) was the late and great Ron Shanklin who used to recruit greater Fort Worth and when he came to town he'd often stop by my office and we'd head out for Dos Gringos. Jeez, don't we all miss that man?

Scoop-Poop:  And I hear Flanagan will get that job and be responsible for recruiting the DFW area. rolleyes.gif (OK, gol' darn it, I'm just kiddin'). wink.gif

This thread confuses me a bit: unsure.gif  Is there a new NCAA rule that says a caucasian HFC can no longer hire a very sharp (up and comer of a) black assistant football coach to assist in inner city recruiting (and any other area where he (they) would be needed?

One of my favorites (as I know he was many of yours with some of you who even played under him) was the late and great Ron Shanklin who used to recruit greater Fort Worth and when he came to town he'd often stop by my office and we'd head out for Dos Gringos.  Jeez, don't we all miss that man?

Amen and ditto.

I tend to agree with Emmitt. I am a little worried about Dodge. That is not saying that he wont be great but there is a lot of uncertainty there. He has done a great job with Southlake but Southlake was already great. They already had won 3 state titles and in the 90s in one stretch they were 88-2. So it is not like he took over a dismal program and turned them into a powerhouse. Dodge had a losing record before he got to Southlake.

We have no idea how well he can recruit and we have no idea how he can coach when he doesnt have the resources like he has at Southlake. Also I am not totally convinced of an all out air attack. NMSU went 0-fer their first year and they didnt do much better this year. Who is willing to go through an 0-fer season? I am also afraid that Houston sucess will drop after this year when Kolb leaves. Maybe not but we will see.

I tend to think we need to go after a coach with either a.) head coaching experiencce at the college level or b.) a top assistant that has been a proven great recruiter. I will be ok if they hire Dodge and I think he is the sexy choice but I am still worried.

I tend to agree with Emmitt.  I am a little worried about Dodge.  That is not saying that he wont be great but there is a lot of uncertainty there.  He has done a great job with Southlake but Southlake was already great.  They already had won 3 state titles and in the 90s in one stretch they were 88-2.  So it is not like he took over a dismal program and turned them into a powerhouse.  Dodge had a losing record before he got to Southlake.

We have no idea how well he can recruit and we have no idea how he can coach when he doesnt have the resources like he has at Southlake.  Also I am not totally convinced of an all out air  attack.  NMSU went 0-fer their first year and they didnt do much better this year.  Who is willing to go through an 0-fer season?    I am also afraid that Houston sucess will drop after this year when Kolb leaves.  Maybe not but we will see. 

I tend to think we need to go after a coach with either a.) head coaching experiencce at the college level or b.) a top assistant that has been a proven great recruiter.  I will be ok if they hire Dodge and I think he is the sexy choice but I am still worried.

SLC won a ton of 3A Titles. Dodge has taken them to the 5A titles, I think a big difference. Yes they were successful bu Dodge has kept them there, which is amainz in itself.

Yes he has done an amazing job, but look at what he has there. A one high school town, wonderful facilities, kids who have a great gene pool and who have personal trainers and kids that go to all kinds of camps. He is at a place where anyone would be sucessful, just not as sucessful as he has been.

Yes he has done an amazing job, but look at what he has there.  A one high school town, wonderful facilities, kids who have a great gene pool and who have personal trainers and kids that go to all kinds of camps.  He is at a place where anyone would be sucessful, just not as sucessful as he has been.

Yes he has a good situation, but many coaches say the hardest coaching is once you have gotten to the top....to keep your kids focused to keep on winning. You don't move up a classification and go 58 - 1 and not be a great coach, no matter where you are. Now does that transition to him being a good coach for us, who knows. But as it stands now, this debate of whether he would be good here is a moot point, RV appears to have no plans of contacting him, which is probably just as well, as I really don't see a guy like Dodge being able to put up with RV.

But as it stands now, this debate of whether he would be good here is a moot point, RV appears to have no plans of contacting him, which is probably just as well, as I really don't see a guy like Dodge being able to put up with RV.

Patience, you don't know who RV has contacted yet. ph34r.gif

ps - I don't know either, I just wanted to use the ph34r.gifrolleyes.gif

I tend to agree with Emmitt.  I am a little worried about Dodge.  That is not saying that he wont be great but there is a lot of uncertainty there.  He has done a great job with Southlake but Southlake was already great.  They already had won 3 state titles and in the 90s in one stretch they were 88-2.  So it is not like he took over a dismal program and turned them into a powerhouse.  Dodge had a losing record before he got to Southlake.

Well....to be fair, he coached at my alma-mater a few years after I graduated....a school that has had 1 non-losing season in the last 15 years or so (Carr. Newman Smith). He coached that 1 season that wasn't a losing season. It's high school, I know....but this is Newman Smith we're talking about here! smile.gif