So if Phillips is expected to play, is Meager...

firearms

If Phillips is expected to play is Meager expected to miss?

UNT Meager recovering from hyperextended elbow

DENTON – Sophomore quarterback Daniel Meager is recovering from a hyperextended elbow, an injury he suffered before halftime of UNT's game against Florida Atlantic on Saturday.

UNT coach Darrell Dickey said a sack resulted in a fumble and the injury.

Sophomore Matt Phillips replaced Meager in the second half and led a pair of drives that resulted in field goals. He threw a critical interception that ended a UNT drive at the FAU 35-yard line with just over a minute left in the game.

Dickey said Phillips will play Saturday in UNT's season finale against Louisiana-Monroe

Guest JohnDenver

That incredible game he had against SMU and the way he moved the ball against UT couldn't have been a fluke.  He did that when he was in having fun playing the game he wanted to play it, then Dickey and Co. started coaching him and got in his head and the results of that spoke for themselves...

I completely agree with that.

That incredible game he had against SMU and the way he moved the ball against UT couldn't have been a fluke.  He did that when he was in having fun playing the game he wanted to play it, then Dickey and Co. started coaching him and got in his head and the results of that spoke for themselves...

True, true, true.

Woody is the better QB.

He may have his faults, but giving him some good off season coaching and confidence from his team, I think he'll be a fastastic QB.

Well, a lot of his benching has nothing to do with his physical ability. If you want to start the guy who can run the fastest, or can make defenses adjust to contain him, I think you play Woody.

However, as I have mentioned before, playing QB is, more than any other position, based on intangibles. Once defenses had film on him and could account for his speed and key on his passing tendencies, he suddenly became really hit or miss with his execution. As I said earlier in the season, "what does he do when defenses start to gameplan for him?" Well, that's the reason he's been riding the bench for a while.

All that said, I was really encouraged by his progress from the Spring to the Fall. If his issue really is that he just HASN'T picked up the system, and not that he CAN'T, then I'm really excited to see if he can make the same leap from this season to next.

Well, a lot of his benching has nothing to do with his physical ability.  If you want to start the guy who can run the fastest, or can make defenses adjust to contain him, I think you play Woody.

However, as I have mentioned before, playing QB is, more than any other position, based on intangibles.  Once defenses had film on him and could account for his speed and key on his passing tendencies, he suddenly became really hit or miss with his execution.  As I said earlier in the season, "what does he do when defenses start to gameplan for him?"  Well, that's the reason he's been riding the bench for a while.

All that said, I was really encouraged by his progress from the Spring to the Fall.  If his issue really is that he just HASN'T picked up the system, and not that he CAN'T, then I'm really excited to see if he can make the same leap from this season to next.

But why not creative like other teams and find ways to get good athletes on the field? Line him up at receiver or in the backfield and get him some touches.

But why not creative like other teams and find ways to get good athletes on the field? Line him up at receiver or in the backfield and get him some touches.

I wouldn't count a move like that totally out, but that would basically be an acknowledgement of "we don't believe he can play QB here." I'm not sure we can say that, especially given his rapid progress from the spring to the fall.

There's also the possibility that he might not be into going to another position, especially since he had BCS offers to play in the secondary, but came here b/c we said we'd let him play QB.

Is there any possibly way, that as DD leaves, so will Meager AND Phillips?

Are you suggesting that they'll leave a full scholarship to play elsewhere?

Who else is going to offer them a scholarship?

Who else is going to offer them a chance at their quarterback rotation?

Those players have been so tainted by Flanigan's system that their options would be really limited even if they did want a change. They should both recover their former abilities under guidance of the new coaches.

Are you suggesting that they'll leave a full scholarship to play elsewhere?

Who else is going to offer them a scholarship?

Who else is going to offer them a chance at their quarterback rotation?

Those players have been so tainted by Flanigan's system that their options would be really limited even if they did want a change. They should both recover their former abilities under guidance of the new coaches.

You're right, no one wants them. I guess we will just have to keep them.