Jerry Glanville

MeanMag

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How many 18 year old to you know who actually listen to their parents ???

laugh.gif

Sure he coached in the NFL , but how long ago ? We are not on the level of an OU or UT who kids go their just for the purpose of a steppping stone to the NFL. I may be wrong , but I think most of the kids that we recruit ( sure there are a few exceptions ) do not have NFL calibur talent ,thus are more interested in college than an NFL future.

Look at this 2 ways.

Hire Todd Dodge. A good deal of local media attention. The recruits are excited to play for the one of the best HS coaches around.

Hire Jerry Glanville. A great deal of national media attention. The recruits' parents are excited when the Houston Oilers former head coach wants their kid to play for them.

Besides, one of my favorite football quotes ever is from JG on the NFL rocks video. "This isn't college, this is the NFL which stand for Not For Long when you make those (bleep) calls, I'll be sellin groceries"

Look at this 2 ways.

Hire Todd Dodge. A good deal of local media attention. The recruits are excited to play for the one of the best HS coaches around.

Hire Jerry Glanville. A great deal of national media attention. The recruits' parents are excited when the Houston Oilers former head coach wants their kid to play for them.

Look at this 2 ways.

I think one of those two guys will be a very successful college coach within the next couple of years.

I don't think it'll be Glanville.

Look at this 2 ways.

I think one of those two guys will be a very successful college coach within the next couple of years.

Either way, they are my top two choices. I just think that if Jerry brought in a good OC with him, his experience would give him the upper hand.

Look at this 2 ways.

Let's see .. .Some want a coach now who doesn't do his job now ???

Let's see..... Hawaii's D is 100th in the country giving up almost 400yds/pg

Let's see ... He must not be a good salesman anymore , If Hawaii can't recruit HAWAII ( hey kid you want to come live on an island and play football for the next 4 years of your life ? ) otherwise Hawaii would be in the top 25 year n and year out.

Look , I like Jerry Glanville he's was Kool back in the Day... but so were transformers tongue.gif You want a old coach who has already seen his better days or younger guy with his best possibly still to come ??

Either way, they are my top two choices. I just think that if Jerry brought in a good OC with him, his experience would give him the upper hand.

I'm concerned his antics would be a lightning rod for negative publicity. I'm a true-blue Oiler fan, but even I foresee that Jerry Glanville would be more concerned with his carnival sideshow than he would be with building the program.

Let's see ... He must not be a good salesman anymore , If Hawaii can't recruit HAWAII ( hey kid you want to come live on an island and play football for the next 4 years of your life ? ) otherwise Hawaii would be in the top 25 year n and year out.

Look , I like Jerry Glanville he's was Kool back in the Day... but so were transformers :P  You want a old coach who has already seen his better days or younger guy with his best possibly still to come ??

Just out of curiosity, did you actually read the post that you're refuting?

Look , I like Jerry Glanville he's was Kool back in the Day... but so were transformers tongue.gif  You want a old coach who has already seen his better days or younger guy with his best possibly still to come ??

Hawaii is #1 in passing yards, scoring, and total offense in the nation. Of course they are going to give up yardage, all the passing lengthens the game and the quick scoring gives the other team more possessions. They have given up less than half the number of points they have scored. I think they are doing rather well. The only losses were to Boise State and Alabama. They lost those 2 games to quality opponents by a combined 15pts.

Edit: I looked into the stats and you're right. They give up 391.8 yds/game, a full 50 per game more than UNT. They give up roughtly the same # off rushing yards with about 1450 a piece for the season. The difference is the passing offenses out there, they have given up 2456yds passing to NTs 1969. The only problem is that yards don't win the game, points do. UNT gives up 26.4 pts/gm to the 22.6pts/gm for UH. Add in 11 ints compared to NTs 6 and I think Hawaii stacks up pretty well.

Edited by Cr1028

Look , I like Jerry Glanville he's was Kool back in the Day... but so were transformers tongue.gif  You want a old coach who has already seen his better days or younger guy with his best possibly still to come ??

I'll explain this again, and the article posted in another thread touches on this, too....

Hawaii is a pure passing offense. For those of you who don't watch College Football outside of your "one track" Big 12 south radius, you'll know what I'm talking about. This team is on the extreme end of the spectrum when it comes to passing O. Moreso than Tech, IMO.

Unlike "traditional" programs, this offense does not focus on ball control and clock management. Their philosophy is score and score quick so you'll have time to score again. The ending result is increased time of possession for opposing offenses.

The stats are a bit misleading. Hawaii's defense is better than what the national rank shows.

Jerry Glanville (born October 14, 1941) is a career American football coach. During his time in the National Football League, he coached the Houston Oilers (now known as the Tennessee Titans) (1985-1989), and the Atlanta Falcons (1990-1993). He became infamous to some fans for trading (now-) superstar quarterback Brett Favre to the Green Bay Packers in 1991; less remembered is the fact that Favre was an erratic, rookie back-up as a Falcon.

Glanville has also worked as an analyst on HBO's Inside the NFL, CBS's The NFL Today and FOX's coverage of the NFL. He is currently the defensive coordinator for the University of Hawaii's football team.

While still coaching in the NFL, Glanville was famous for often leaving tickets at will-call for the late Elvis Presley, wearing all-black in honor of Johnny Cash, and driving replicas of vehicles driven by James Dean. [1].

Who wouldnt love this guy!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just wanted it to be known since CBS sportsline reported that Glanville is interested in the job today.....

That he indeed is interested from what I hear and has the backing of Max.

I know for a fact that he would come here and help turn our team around. He would bring with him some coaches from Hawaii's staff that want to return to the mainland to install there #1 NCAA ranked offense. I have been told this from reliable sources.

His love of Texas and his style of play would really turn some heads nationally. I had to write this because I was tried of reading all this about Harbaugh and what he could do for us. Glanville got Nick Saban his first job in the NFL. People are impressed with Harbaugh's NFL contacts.....that makes me laugh. If it wasnt for guys like Glanville the NFL wouldnt be what it is today. The man is a great football coach and has turned Hawaii's program around. From reading other posts, I know other mean green fans agree with me. Its just a shame that Hawaii is on such a different time zone that more fans couldnt see what a great job they did this year.

Glanville article written by scout.com

I just wanted it to be known since CBS sportsline reported that Glanville is interested in the job today.....

That he indeed is interested from what I hear and has the backing of Max.

I know for a fact that he would come here and help turn our team around.  He would bring with him some coaches from Hawaii's staff that want to return to the mainland to install there #1 NCAA ranked offense.  I have been told this from reliable sources.

His love of Texas and his style of play would really turn some heads nationally.  I had to write this because I was tried of reading all this about Harbaugh and what he could do for us.  Glanville got Nick Saban his first job in the NFL.  People are impressed with Harbaugh's NFL contacts.....that makes me laugh.  If it wasnt for guys like Glanville the NFL wouldnt be what it is today.  The man is a great football coach and has turned Hawaii's program around.  From reading other posts, I know other mean green fans agree with me.  Its just a shame that Hawaii is on such a different time zone that more fans couldnt see what a great job they did this year.

Glanville article written by scout.com

Who is Max? I think Glanville would be a good choice also. Actually RV seems to have a handful of very good choices to choose from. Tough choice.

Glanville has been there, done that, and has the t-shirt to prove it.

Why would he leave "semi-retirement" in Hawai'i? He has nothing to prove.

Let's take a moment to face the fact that we're the perfect school for a coach with something to prove.

Edited by JayDub

Glanville has been there, done that, and has the t-shirt to prove it.

Why would he leave "semi-retirement" in Hawai'i?  He has nothing to prove.

Let's take a moment to face the fact that we're the perfect school for a coach with something to prove.

What if you wants to get back to the mainland, maybe be closer to family? But I know for a fact that he wants the job. And I would disagree with your point of hiring a coach that only has something to prove....many people probably think that Glanville is too old and NT cant be a top 25 team....my beat he wants to prove everyone wrong. What a great story it could be.

Reading on the La Tech board looks like he mentioned he interested in their opening also. Not positive but I believe he also applied at UTEP & NMSU when they were last open.

I'm sure their fans are wanting him to come there because they are in the same conference as Hawaii and saw first hand what a difference he made with Hawaii's team.

I'm sure their fans are wanting him to come there because they are in the same conference as Hawaii and saw first hand what a difference he made with Hawaii's team.

As per the Honolulu Star-Bulletin late last month:

What took so long?: The first Jerry Glanville job rumor of the season surfaced yesterday, as a national reporter wrote that an unidentified source told him Glanville "could be a factor" in the head coach opening at North Texas.

No one expects Glanville to stay at UH forever, but he seems more comfortable now than last year, his first at Hawaii. Yesterday he clearly indicated he's in no hurry to leave his post as Warriors defensive coordinator.

"I may move (soon)," Glanville said. "But not past Diamond Head."

He said he will be automatically linked to any job in Texas.

"That's just Internet chatter," Glanville added. "I have not spoken one word to anyone. People will always speculate."

Looks like the Glanville "chatter" is just a waste of band width, people. It's just a little TOO out there.

• 2 years later...

Still I would say a Jerry Glanville, would have captured more than 5 wins and not run off all the talent that was recruit to be a part of this team.....

A professional head football coach with connections with assistants or our lame attempt to be SLC, the joke is really on us.... :(

Agree , he would have had more than 5 wins.

U think June Jones would have accepted the SMU gig if Glanville was here. The 2 are close and might not have wanted to battle head to head for recruits.