Early name for HC

Hunter Green

http://colleges.beloblog.com/archives/north_texas/

November 9, 2006

Nix will be in mix for UNT job

I'm hearing that South Carolina defensive coordinator Tyrone Nix might be the man to beat in the North Texas coaching search.

UNT AD Rick Villarreal got to know Nix well at Southern Miss, where Nix played linebacker and spent the first 10 years of his coaching career. Villarreal is a Southern Miss alum and was an associate AD there for three years before going to UNT.

No doubt that Nix, 34, is a bright young defensive mind. The questions are whether he's ready for all the responsibilities of being a Division I-A head coach, and whether he'll be able to recruit at UNT without any Texas ties.

Again, I don't think we can do it, but I want a HEAD COACH. We've tried and failed with bargins in the past. There will be plenty of head coaches needing a job. Tie a bonus to attendance and win-loss success and maybe we can make it work.

We need a guy with skins.

Join the Mean Green Club

Buy season Tickets

GO MEAN GREEN

The only way I could accept this guy with no Texas ties is if he brought that South Carolina-style offense with him. I wonder what type of offense he prefers?

I've seen SC on TV a couple times this year, and this guy definitely fits the "fiery" mold so many posters have been dying for. He's all over the place, running up and down the sidelines, etc. Now, take that for what it's worth -- not saying it's good or bad, just saying it is what it is.

Secondly, Why do I have a feeling this may be the hire and the suspense may be over?

The athletic world does not begin and end at Southern Mississippi.... Rick has been an athletic director long enough to have a much bigger overview of the NCAA scene than to constantly go back to Southern Miss for help.

Check out Mack Brown.  He had no Texas ties and he has done pretty well.

Mack Brown coached at OU. Think he met a few Texas high school coaches while he was recruiting for the Sooners? Brown also coached at Tulane and LSU, where he probably made some Texas connections. (Of course, Brown, like Nix began his coaching career at Southern Miss smile.gif ).

Edited by MG Insurance Pro

Texas ties aren't a non-negotiable requirement for me. But it sure seems like a good idea.

With UNT's small recruiting budget a coach with a lot of contacts in the state has an advantage over an outsider. It is a lot easier to find the 2nd and 3rd tier recruits UNT should be competing for when a high school coach you know and trust gives you information about them. (By the way, Dickey went after 4th tier recruits. UT, OU and A&M get the 1st tier and don't try to say UNT should be actively recruiting those guys.)

Ultimately, we all have to trust that RV will do a better job on this coaching hire than he did with the men's basketball coach and the softball coach. There was a reason Norval Pohl hired RV. I trust Pohl so I trust RV will make the right decision.

Edited by MG Insurance Pro

OFFENSE, OFFENSE, OFFENSE, OFFENSE, OFFENSE, OFFENSE, OFFENSE, OFFENSE, don't bring in a defensive guy...OFFENSE, OFFENSE, OFFENSE, OFFENSE, we can find an offensive guy to bring in a defensive guy, OFFENSE, OFFENSE, OFFENSE, OFFENSE, I do not want a defensive guy who has to bring in a offensive guy!

OFFENSE, OFFENSE, OFFENSE, OFFENSE, OFFENSE, OFFENSE, OFFENSE, OFFENSE, don't bring in a defensive guy...OFFENSE, OFFENSE, OFFENSE, OFFENSE, we can find an offensive guy to bring in a defensive guy, OFFENSE, OFFENSE, OFFENSE, OFFENSE, I do not want a defensive guy who has to bring in a offensive guy!

Amen and amen!

The athletic world does not begin and end at Southern Mississippi....  Rick has been an athletic director long enough to have a much bigger overview of the NCAA scene than to constantly go back to Southern Miss for help.

AMEN!

You need to have a coach that has Texas ties and knows what the challenges are at North Texas. One of the things that seemed very clear about DD was that he couldn't believe the anti-athletic culture that exsisted here at North Texas. Instead of going about trying to change those attitudes, he got surley and made snide and sarcastic remarks about it.

You can't explain the North Texas athletic culture to someone from out of Texas. Everyone in America thinks that EVERY SCHOOL in Texas is football crazy....that isn't the case with North Texas. Hayden Fry recognized this and went about changing attitudes, by giving speeches to anyone in the community that would give him a chance AND by winning games.

There are several coaches with Texas ties, and one with North Texas ties, that would have a much better understanding of the CHALLENGES that North Texas presents.

PLEASE RV, DON'T MAKE A CRONY HIRE!