Why UNT didn't go WAC

MeanGreen61

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't know if SBC bylaws would prohibit it, but La-Monroe managed to go SBC for football and Southland for their other sports until recently.

But that was also done because the SBC "needed" them to form the 1-A football conference. If you are a full member, you must participate in all SBC sports in which you field a team. Suspect this horse has done been beaten to death. biggrin.gif

Don't know if SBC bylaws would prohibit it, but La-Monroe managed to go SBC for football and Southland for their other sports until recently.

When La.Monroe went to I-A in football they no longer offered I-AA football. The Southland used to require all members to play football in the conference. That rule was why ULL left when the league was reclassified I-AA in football. It also caused UT-Arlington to get booted when they dropped football. The rule was later changed to require members to play in the Southland when they offered a sport the league has a championship in (same as the Belt). With that rule change once La.Monroe no longer offered I-AA football they no longer had to play SLC football because the SLC didn't offer a championship in I-A football.

The Sun Belt used to allow associate memberships in football, but the NCAA has changed the definition of a I-A conference to require 8 I-A schools playing all sports in the conference. Remember, Utah State and Idaho were slated to become all-sports members because of that rule and their departure forced ULM to have to give up associate membership.

Also remember when Sun Belt football was forming that when La.Tech announced they would not join for football they were poised to be expelled because of the league rule.

If the WAC wanted to offer UNT football only membership, UNT would have to join the Atlantic Sun or Mid-Con for other sports because UNT would be automatically expelled from the Sun Belt (no vote required).

I say we accept the invitation if it is still on the table.

Let’s just kill this thread!

Going WACy would mean much higher travel costs which are NOT offset by higher payouts as LaTech is finding out. Playing late games on the West Coast means less coverage in Texas as Rice, TCU and SMU found out. TCU managed to get the Mountain West to not give them more than a specific number of late starts - something the WACy people have already said they won’t do.

All of this discussed ad nauseam. Let’s just move on and not go WACy.

Let’s just kill this thread!

Going WACy would mean much higher travel costs which are NOT offset by higher payouts as LaTech is finding out. Playing late games on the West Coast means less coverage in Texas as Rice, TCU and SMU found out. TCU managed to get the Mountain West to not give them more than a specific number of late starts - something the WACy people have already said they won’t do.

All of this discussed ad nauseam. Let’s just move on and not go WACy.

One thing we haven't discussed is the financial implications of this decision...

Thoughts?

This that thick or thin crust? Plus, you need to compare the same number of toppings.

The Tomato's proximity to places like Mr. Chopstix is discouraging. I think Mr. Chopstix moving across town shows that yet another restaurant has passed them by. hey are falling behind again. they got a new stadium and a new conference, why can't we!?

If Jack in the Box down the street starts serving pizza, they will pass the tomato by by 2010.

The Tomato's proximity to places like Mr. Chopstix is discouraging. I think Mr. Chopstix moving across town shows that yet another restaurant has passed them by. hey are falling behind again. they got a new stadium and a new conference, why can't we!?

If Jack in the Box down the street starts serving pizza, they will pass the tomato by by 2010.

I have talked to my friend and he told me that there on going to be some big changes at the Tomato, of course I cannot name my source. There will come a time when all that nasty sauce they put or their pizza will gain prominance again.

rolleyes.gifrolleyes.gifrolleyes.gif

at 11.23 pm, La Tech is playing Hawaii. It is currently in the 2nd qtr with something like 5 minutes remaining. It'll be close to 2am before this game goes into the record books. I can't imagine staying up that late for a football game unless we're in OT #22 and it's 115-115 (unless it's a DD coached offense against FIU where it'd be 30-30).

at 11.23 pm, La Tech is playing Hawaii.  It is currently in the 2nd qtr with something like 5 minutes remaining.  It'll be close to 2am before this game goes into the record books.  I can't imagine staying up that late for a football game unless we're in OT #22 and it's 115-115 (unless it's a DD coached offense against FIU where it'd be 30-30).

Yes Hawaii is a long way, but we would get more respect playing them in conference than we do playing most SBC teams.