At what point does it become

Will to Win

I think the coaches have already demonstrated that they are incapable of doing the job, Yet RV does nothing or is he just buying time and waiting until after the season to reload with "difference makers" in the coaching slots?

What we have is not working in so . . . in order to get different results (wins) we have to change something, either:

1. Players (who starts)

2. coaches

3. Athletic Director

I want a football team to be proud of...please.

I think the coaches have already demonstrated that they are incapable of doing the job, Yet RV does nothing or is he just buying time and waiting until after the season to reload with "difference makers" in the coaching slots?

What we have is not working in so . . . in order to get different results (wins) we have to change something, either:

1. Players (who starts)

2. coaches

3. Athletic Director

I want a football team to be proud of...please.

It already is on RV to some extent, but it is completely on if DD is not gone very soon. Remember that RV did inherit DD.

It already is on RV to some extent, but it is completely on if DD is not gone very soon. Remember that RV did inherit DD.

RV may have inherited DD but he is the one that recommended that DD be awarded the long term contract that is now a major problem. Imo that makes RV completely responsible for the current football coaching staff.

RV may have inherited DD but he is the one that recommended that  DD be awarded the long term contract that is now a major problem.  Imo that makes RV completely responsible for the current football coaching staff.

Now I may be completely wrong on this but the rumors I heard said behind closed doors RV was against any long term contract with DD.

RV may have inherited DD but he is the one that recommended that  DD be awarded the long term contract that is now a major problem.  Imo that makes RV completely responsible for the current football coaching staff.

AHAHAHAHA! Ask the BOR just how involved RV was in that decision.

AHAHAHAHA!  Ask the BOR just how involved RV was in that decision.

______________________________________________________________________________ Recommendation:Ratify the contract extension negotiated by the President and Athletic Director with Coach Darrell Dickey through December 31, 2008, and other terms and conditions acceptable to the parties, as generally described. Recommended by President Chancellor ________________________ DateDateBoard Briefing

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

content.

Ok I should have known that RV in his position as DD's boss had no input into DD's contract extension. Since you and others obviously have information relative to how DD's contract evolved, please enlighten me. However, It seems to me that RV is responsible for the contract. Either he initiated it or acquiesced, in either case he as the AD is responsible.

It doesn't seem to me too farfetched that RV might have supported an extension to the Coach he called the "best in the country". A suspicious person might even think RV benefited as he got almost an identical long term extension.

I think that RV went along with the contract extension, but I don't believe that he was in favor of it.

I've said for quite some time that hiring and firing a coach was the job of the AD. If the BOR didn't trust RV's opinion on the matter, then they shouldn't have hired RV to be the AD.

RV has got some tough times ahead of him. If he is able to get rid of, or re-assign DD, then he gets to make one of the biggest coaching decisions of his career.

I certainly hope that that decision isn't another of the crony-like hirings that he's make up to this point.

A fresh look RV! No more hires with Southern Miss/LSU/TCU ties.

Edited by SilverEagle

I think that RV went along with the contract extension, but I don't believe that he was in favor of it.

I've said for quite some time that hiring and firing a coach was the job of the AD. If the BOR didn't trust RV's opinion on the matter, then they shouldn't have hired RV to be the AD.

RV has got some tough times ahead of him. If he is able to get rid of, or re-assign DD, then he gets to make one of the biggest coaching decisions of his career.

I certainly hope that that decision isn't another of the crony-like hirings that he's make up to this point.

A fresh look RV! No more hires with Southern Miss/LSU/TCU ties.

I could not agree more as DD was a crony move by Helwig. If RV tries this I say adios to him as well, promote Hank to A D and get a coach with the savings from DD and RV's termination. With that we can entice a Todd Dodge, Major Applewhite, Charlie Waters, or Steve Kraigthorpe. An RV crony from old ties is way too much like what drug us down to this point in the first place!!!!!!!!! ph34r.gif

______________________________________________________________________________ Recommendation:Ratify the contract extension negotiated by the President and Athletic Director with Coach Darrell Dickey through December 31, 2008, and other terms and conditions acceptable to the parties, as generally described. Recommended by President Chancellor ________________________ DateDateBoard Briefing

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

content.

Ok I should have known that RV in his position as DD's boss had no input into DD's contract extension.  Since you and others obviously have information  relative to how DD's contract evolved, please enlighten me.  However, It seems to me that RV is responsible for the contract.  Either he initiated it or acquiesced, in either case he as the AD is responsible. 

It doesn't seem to me too farfetched that RV might have supported an extension to the Coach he called the "best in the country".  A suspicious person might even think RV benefited as he got almost an identical long term extension.

From what I've heard, the BOR went around/over RV and did the extension, then strongarmed RV into approving it. There was really no chance for the input RV should have had, or it was given and just brushed aside. Either way, the extension was firmly rooted in buddyism.

From what I've heard, the BOR went around/over RV and did the extension, then strongarmed RV into approving it.  There was really no chance for the input RV should have had, or it was given and just brushed aside.  Either way, the extension was firmly rooted in buddyism.

Yup, thats what I understand.

this only becomes RV's "fault" if Dickey is still here next year. But, he won't be, so all these hypothetical what-if scenarios are a waste of time...

Yup, thats what I understand.

this only becomes RV's "fault" if Dickey is still here next year. But, he won't be, so all these hypothetical what-if scenarios are a waste of time...

I am wondering after reading how the BOR has cut RV's legs out from under him, why he would stay in such a bad position where he can not even make his own decision regarding the most important position in Athletics for community and national visibility. Will Bobby Ray allow DD to be fired is the big question, then if so how much clout will they use to try and get another Good Ole Boy in Place.

Now I may be completely wrong on this but the rumors I heard said behind closed doors RV was against any long term contract with DD.

King I've heard that too. Regardless of any rumors though, at the time I thought it was a good choice. I thought our 4th bowl game was DD's rebuilding year. No one would have dreamed we would win a combined 4 games in the following two years.

If DD is still here this season the blaim goes on RV. I don't care who gave the extension or how much money its going to cost, DD is done. Any individual with a thread of dignity would step down. DD needs to for himself and for the team.

The sunbelt is much better and we have gotten progressively worse for 3 years in a row now. If we want to stay competitive with ASU and MUTS in the future we need to make changes now.

REVISED ON EARLY TUESDAY MORNING...

HE WHO HESITATES LOSES AND WE ARE LOSING OUT ON SOME GOOD TEXAS HS FOOTBALL RECRUITS WHILE WE HESITATE IN MAKING A DECISION THAT MUST BE MADE!

Sorry, no can agree with this latest idea I just picked up on: Hank D as AD at UNT? Hellsbells, with that guys self-serving ego and apparent image of himself wouldn't he prefer to be Chancellor? AND after all..............there is no opening for that position, either. rolleyes.gif

WILL NEVER FORGET THIS WITH OL' HANK O' BOY! First time to ever meet HD was at a MG baskeball game (and I'll never forget the words he said because SUMG was just as astounded as I as to what he said to both of us and with such sincerity..........

.................but good ol' progressive-thinking Hank told both SUMG and PMG that evening at the Super Pit how UNT would "NEVER" really want to be part of a league such as Conference USA!" laugh.gifhuh.gifunsure.gifsad.gif SUMG and I just stared at each other in disbelief and "where the hell did our alma mater come up with this one?" laugh.gif Yet imagine that, a newcomer fresh from some wherever the hell school he had just come from to UNT already telling long time NT Exes and (at the time) pretty damn good MG football fans and his telling us where we of UNT DID NOT need to be part of like, uh, CUSA?!?!?! (And on my saintly mother's last resting place there are 2 of us who would tell you that is exactly what he said). Only at North Texas, folks, only at North Texas..... wink.gif

If you've even been in any kind of sales, your bull-shitter antennas just come up quicker than most out there from other professions and with the many we've seen come and go thru the NT Athletic Dept. in Denton, we've had more than our share of truly bonafide bullshitters who Talk a Big Talk but rarely Walk A Big Walk. AND NOW WE HAVE.................many of this group of ancillery-athletic staff types in the UNT Athletic Dept. who have all seemed to have adopted that old gospel song as their theme song entitled: "We Shall Not Be Moved?"

No, no, no, no, no, folks, lets be very "un-UNT'esque" and (once and for all) go outside of our usual box of the last 25 years (specifically by starting new personel searches off the UNT campus) with a goal of getting some fresh new faces with fresh new ideas and quit this UNT tradition of most all our bad eras of perservering the old guard in the UNT Athletic Department.

We do not owe one yankee dime to a bunch of Kansans (or those other non-Texans who have obviously buffalo'd some in Denton) as far as a state of Texas retirement is concerned, especially those who have bull-shitted some of you into thinking they are the best thing to happen to UNT and Denton since sliced bread; and you know some of that group I am posting about here, right, as in the ones who (seemedly) still can't get jobs even at lower classified university athletic programs? wink.gif But at UNT we have become like New York's Ellis Island: GIVE US YOUR POOR, YOUR NEEDY...Etc, Etc, Etc.....and we'll put them on staff in the UNT Athletic Dept. payroll and hang onto many of their mediocre performances till the cows come home to roost.

UNT needs to just clean house and get all the S.T P's off payroll, ie, you know, the Small Time Producers (who've had more than enough time to prove themselves other-wise). Why don't we ever want to improve ourselves at UNT with the kind of people who have the skins on the walls from other collegiate athletic programs and hire those who have track records of getting attendance numbers higher? That is, hire those who can get us out of this 15K per home game mode that this present group at UNT never seem to ever want to discuss or talk about but (I suppose) just ignore it thinking we will ignore it, too, and they just try to hide such glaring insufficiencies as required NCAA football atttendance numbers under the green carpet. sad.gifdry.gifwink.gifunsure.gifph34r.gif

And while they try to hide obvious failure of our not attracting new fans during any year of this, the DD Ball era, some of you can still only think about recycling mediocre performers with some of the same ol' crowd in the UNT Athletic Department and just re-package them thinking we are going to take stripes off a zebra? ph34r.gif So are all these non-performers and ancillery staff members in the UNT Athletic Dept the next ones up for their own contract extensions in Mean Green Country? ph34r.gifph34r.gifph34r.gif

This whole program has just simply been laced with mediocrity throughout and even with that first bowl game appearance we were (somewhat) a national laughing stock with many with an under .500 W/L record of 5 & 6 going into a bowl game.

Under .500 won/loss records seem to be a continuing theme at UNT so why would we even consider keeping anyone on a future new staff at UNT who have been just as big part of all these years of under .500 varsity programs as the coaches themselves? So what do we do, just go ahead and give all of this under-achieving group contract extensions of their own at our alma mater which has become ............................Santa Clause State U ? sad.gif

Why do a hardy handful of NT Exes think so much in the past with used up talent who cannot get jobs anywhere else (and don't we know they've tried by now)? And with those we keep on hanging to who seemedly have the same old tired ideas)?!?!?!?

Folks, if we keep this modus operendi on-going our next 25 years of MG football will turn out much like most of the last 25 years have been once you size everything up and see we really haven't accomplished much at any semblance of a higher profile at the NCAA D1-A level. sad.gif . AND SPEAKING OF THE SUN BELT CONFERENCE: Most of us will never use the Sun Belt Conference as a true measuring stick of a commendable performance for our school simply because the SBC simply just is not a good measuring stick for those many of us who want out of the Bottom 15-20 NCAA D1-A football programs (which we basically have become). unsure.gif

Edited by PlummMeanGreen