QB Thread (merged)

OldTimer

Football: Phillips to start at QB against SMU

anyone want to bet Meager? instead of Woody?

06:24 PM CDT on Thursday, September 7, 2006

By Brett Vito / Staff Writer

Sophomore Matt Phillips will start against SMU on Saturday and split time with at least one other quarterback, UNT head coach Darrell Dickey said Thursday.

Matt Phillips

“There was no reason to change the rotation,” Dickey said. “We will see how it goes in Game 2 and see if someone separates.”

Phillips started Game 1 against Texas and finished with 22 yards passing.

Junior Woody Wilson came off the bench, led UNT on a nine play, 80-yard touchdown drive for its only points of the day, threw for 65 yards and completed 5 of 6 attempts.

Sophomore Daniel Meager has recovered from a concussion that kept him out of the Texas game in Week 1 and will also be available, Dickey said.

For complete coverage of UNT’s game against SMU, please see Friday’s editions of the Denton Record-Chronicle.

BRETT VITO can be reached at 940-566-6870. His e-mail address is bvito@dentonrc.com.

Edited by illuvius32

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not understanding this at all. In my opinion, Wilson was the only bright side of our horrific offense play. I'm trying to give Dickey the benefit of the doubt, maybe Phillips had a fantastic week at practice. Even if that is the case, Wilson has the potential to become a star and has shown come game time he can perform.

One more thing and I want everyone to read this and tell me how this makes sense:

“There was no reason to change the rotation,” Dickey said.

Phillips started Game 1 against Texas and finished with 22 yards passing

If we lose I will officially already lost my patience with DD this season.

Edited by Mean'n'Green07

As someone who has defended DD every chance I get...this is ridiculous!!! If this is true I will be very disappointed in the program and DD stock will drop in my mind.

Philips is an average QB at best...he's a sitting duck and the SMU defensive line will surely get to him quick. We need a multi-diminsional QB to win this game. Wilson will surely see action, I just hope it's not to late.

wow....just wow....what happens if woody isn't the other quarterback that they are talking about? is there something we don't know? woody was the only positive, besides dawson making some great plays, from the texas game....I'M DUMBFOUNDED!!!

YOU SEE I TOLD YOU GUYS I WAS WORRIED ABOUT THE QB SITUATION

YOU SEE WHY BECAUSE WE MAKE STUPID DECISIONS IN BIG GAMES....

WTF WILL BE THE SECOND QB, THATS JUST A PUBLIC RELATIONS WAY OF SAYING ITS GOING TO BE DANIEL MEAGER....PROB FOR THE REST OF THE GAME

IF WE LOSE TO SMU, IM NEVER DEFENDING DICKEY BALL EVER...

SO HELP ME GOD IF WE LOSE THIS GAME.... mad.gif

Guest JohnDenver

...and more proof that DD doesn't have a clue what he is doing... he takes ALL week long to just say "nothing changes -- going with Phillips."

Why didn't he say that from the get-go? Instead he plays with emotions. He messes with confidence. He let's Woody split the practice time at starter. Yeh, that seems to work well.

Bridge - Hall

Hall - Smith

Meager - Phillips

Phillips - Wilson

You see the trend? DD doesn't know how to handle a QB.

I was wanting Woody to start as well.

The ONLY reason I can think of starting Phillips is he IS the best passing QB we have. Since we will be facing 9 man fronts all night, maybe he feels more balanced with Phillips passing (keep d a little more honest) and Jamario running.

I hope he knows what he is doing.

The ONLY reason I can think of starting Phillips is he IS the best passing QB we have. 

Nothing from that UT game gave me that impression.

He looked good in comparison to what Meager brought to the field last year. Which was just a big bag of nuthin'.

The ONLY reason I can think of starting Phillips is he IS the best passing QB we have.  Since we will be facing 9 man fronts all night, maybe he feels more balanced with Phillips passing (keep d a little more honest) and Jamario running.

I hope he knows what he is doing.

Phillips did nothing against Texas, whereas Woody put them on the defensive due to his speed. what a joke. If Phillips and Meager get a majority of the time Saturday then there needs to be changes and we will not beat SMU, unless Jamario goes off for 250 yd and 5 TDs

Thanks DD!!

Guest Aquila_Viridis

Don't get so worked up. I am the other QB in the rotation and if they don't need me it means Phillips is kicking mule butt. If they do put me in, SMU will get the Godfather treatment.

In old-Norse sagas, they were warriors who dressed themselves in bear skins, to make use of the fear common people had for wild animals. They whipped themselves up to a sort of battle frenzy, biting their shields and howling like animals. They were ferocious fighters and seemingly insensitive to pain while this madness lasted; berserks made formidable enemies. In their rage they even attacked the boulders and trees of the forest; it was not uncommon that they killed their own people.

When I read the title of the thread, I attacked a nearby tree. I was that mad. Berserker mad.

Football: Phillips to start at QB against SMU

Dickey to stick with status quo for now

09:19 PM CDT on Thursday, September 7, 2006

By Brett Vito / Staff Writer

North Texas head coach Darrell Dickey is sticking with the status quo when it comes to his quarterbacks for Saturday’s game against SMU.

Sophomore Matt Phillips will start against the Mustangs and at least one other quarterback will play.

“There was no reason to change the rotation,” Dickey said. “We will see how it goes in Game 2 and see if someone separates.”

Phillips started in the Mean Green’s season-opening 56-7 loss at Texas while junior college transfer Woody Wilson came off the bench. Returning starter Daniel Meager was unavailable due to a concussion, but has since recovered and will be available to play against SMU.

Wilson finished with 65 passing yards, completed 5 of 6 attempts and led the Mean Green on a nine-play, 80-yard touchdown drive for their only points of the day.

Phillips threw for 22 yards and completed just 4 of 13 attempts.

Wilson led seven of UNT’s 13 drives against Texas that resulted in 92 yards of total offense and five first downs. Phillips was in the game for six series that accumulated three yards and one first down.

“We were not happy with anyone’s performance,” Dickey said. “We saw that there were a lot of mistakes that we needed to iron out. Matt had his share, coach Dickey had his share and so did the offensive line. We worked all week and saw no real reason to chance the rotation.”

While Wilson had the better overall numbers against Texas, Dickey said he also had his share of mistakes.

“Woody did some good things and had a good week of practice,” Dickey said. “It seems like he understands what he did wrong last week.”

The decision of when to put Wilson or Meager in against SMU will be based on the circumstances of the game.

“We will see how the game goes and when we go to another quarterback, we will see what we want to do offensively and who we feel gives us the best chance,” Dickey said.

UNT has a history of rotating quarterbacks and has been searching for the right player or mix of players since Scott Hall led the Mean Green to the Sun Belt Conference title and the New Orleans Bowl in 2004.

Hall started every game in the last of the Mean Green’s four consecutive conference championship seasons, and threw for 1,818 yards and 14 touchdowns.

UNT has struggled to find a suitable replacement ever since. Meager started every game last season while Phillips saw action in seven games.

Meager led UNT with 941 yards passing while Phillips had 448 yards last season when the Mean Green finished last in the Sun Belt in both passing yards (129.3 per game) and passing efficiency (92.9 rating).

The Mean Green signed Wilson out of Coffeyville (Kan.) Community College at the semester break, but did not land a high school quarterback on national signing day. UNT later gave a scholarship to Nathan Tune, a walk-on from Celina who is expected to redshirt this season.

Which of Phillip's 22 yards convinced him that no seperation occured in week 1?

"Phillips was in the game for six series that accumulated three yards and one first down."

At this point, let's just play musical QBs...whomever makes a first down gets to stay in the game. Otherwise it goes to next in line throughout the whole game. Prepare for the QB shuffle.... dry.gif

Edited by NT80