Morning Scrimmage

Mad Hatter

I got to go this morning. Here's my assesment from the first hour and a half.

During the first series my thoughts were: We're in trouble! Every other snap was a fumble. Neither QB could connect. Players were standing around watching the play go the other way? Then after some Up Downs things got a little bit better.

Jamario looks like he has his step back for sure. Damn he's fast!

Our defense is dominating the O, and that's what I want to see right now. During our 4 year run I don't ever recall a fall camp in which I thought we were going to ever score a point because the defense just crushed the O. Without a D we dont' have a chance so hopefully this is a good sign?

Hopovic will be our starting field goal kicker if I had to go by today and I don't know why? The new kid couldn't hit from 35 yards out and his extra point I saw him kick didn't get 20 feet in the air. Maybe he's used to a different tee? Not sure where all that leg strength we read so much about has gone?

Beautiful pass from Meager to Brandon Jackson in which Jackson split two defenders and laid out to haul in a TD from about 25 or 30 yards out.

The Tune kid looked good on a TD pass to freshman Victor Gill. We have a future star in Gill.

What a nice surprise(Not a surprise to me of course) to see my boy Nick "Black Cat" Foster out there running with the second O. "Black Cat" because he's got a very short fuse. As I reported back in June after the Oil Bowl he's not some lumbering, slow hippo that his size originally gave us to believe and he plays with an attitude. I asked several others who have seen more practices than I have what their oppinions were of him and all said he had surprising agility for a guy his size. DD wants him to lose some weight and I expect he will. Every other time I saw him get an outside push on a rusher he put his man on the ground.

Phillips took a hit from Graves on a blindside hit that I thought broke Phillips hand or arm from the way he looked afterwards. Finally he got up and came back a couple of series later.

Johnny looks great and seems to have the proper mental toughness it's going to take to get through this season. Phillips strung him out on a flag, throwing about 5 feet over his jumping range(what would that be, 25 ft?) and when he came down and turned he got lit up on an extremely late hit that would have been flagged. Johnny was shook up but jogged back and got some water before returning a play later. God Bless the Mighty Quinn!

I saw zero read option being worked on. Just our base run-first offense that most everyone here is familiar with. dry.gif

As the series of plays continued the offense looked better, but the ball continued to hit the ground on the QB/Center exchanges the whole time I was there. But as I said before, the defense dominated most of the time I was there and for now that's a good thing.

I was so happy to get out of the sweat-box of a wood shop that I have recently spent quite a bit of time lately in for about an hour or so. It was a nice break for me this morning to get to see practice. I can finally see the light at the end of the basketball/baseball tunnel.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

I saw zero read option being worked on.  Just our base run-first offense that most everyone here is familiar with. dry.gif

Man that bothers me, maybe we should take a collection and buy DD a copy.

user posted image

Coaching Football For Dummies

On another note I keep hearing about this Tune kid, is everyone impressed with this kid? Seems to be a recurring theme.

Man that bothers me, maybe we should take a collection and buy DD a copy.

user posted image

Coaching Football For Dummies

On another note I keep hearing about this Tune kid, is everyone impressed with this kid? Seems to be a recurring theme.

For a WALK ON Tune looked very good at QB this morning. Buty history tells me he will end up at tightend or in the secondary.

Rick

Looks to me that Phillips will be the starting QB , best all around game of the three. Would like to see more of Wilson , but time is growing short. Tune has alot of potential. The return of Rose should help the snap problem, however the exchange should not be a problem with the backup centers . Hope this gets corrected in a hurry. While Thomas was held out during most of the scrimmage, Roberson was the best running back on the field, does need to hold onto the ball. Cox needs to run toward the goal line. Fernadez and Fitzgerald should add depth to a solid receiving corp.We do have more size and depth than last year, this cannot hurt. Couple of injuries during the scrimmage Phillips and Higgs and a couple of players not suiting up. Need everyone .

For a WALK ON Tune looked very good at QB this morning.  Buty history tells me he will end up at tightend or in the secondary.

Rick

That's my cynical view of things too. But after watching Tune yesterday, he's too slow for DB and too thin for TE. Of course, like a couple of former walk-on QB's that I've seen, if Tune shows too much ability, he'll be gone.....for what ever reason.

My question is not who can play center, we have an 11 game starter in Chad Rose, it's who can step up and be his back-up. Rose did not play in the scrimmage so all of those center exchange problems were with Drake, Pistolli, and Glass. Let's just hope that Rose is back soon and does not get injured again.

Guest JohnDenver

That's my cynical view of things too. But after watching Tune yesterday, he's too slow for DB and too thin for TE.  Of course, like a couple of former walk-on QB's that I've seen, if Tune shows too much ability, he'll be gone.....for what ever reason.

Always gotta bring up Scott Wissle, eh? laugh.gif

He could have been the Doug Flutie of our team.

Always gotta bring up Scott Wissle, eh?  laugh.gif

He could have been the Doug Flutie of our team.

He was taller than Flutie (by 2") and not near as fast. He only made better decisions with the ball than most of the other candidates, (and definitely better than Haynes and Ieans), and he ran the team in a very efficient and confident manner. I always wondered why that wasn't good enough in the eyes of the coaching staff.

Before him there was Russell McQuistin(sp?) who walked-on a couple of springs before. There may be a variety of reasons why he left the program before the end of spring, but he was looking like a very good back-up candidate for Scott Hall. He was big (6'3" X 215) and he was out there doing the same things....putting the ball where it needed to be, running the team efficiently and confidently and (IMHO) looking better than Andrew Smith.

But, what the hell do I know. blink.gif

as long as he's out there on sat.....I really want to hear how good he looks.

I'll let my friend tell you what she thinks about how good he looks -

Guuuurrrll, let me tell ya, that Woodrow Wilson boy be so fiiiiine...he just gets me all hot and bothered. And his nickname, Woody, well let me just say I know how he earned that name.

Hopovic will be our starting field goal kicker if I had to go by today and I don't know why?  The new kid couldn't hit from 35 yards out and his extra point I saw him kick didn't get 20 feet in the air.  Maybe he's used to a different tee?  Not sure where all that leg strength we read so much about has gone?

I am greatly concerned about our FG kicking game. The new kid doesn't seem like the Super-kicker he was advertised as yet. But then we were all over Baz his first year too when he was hitting offensive lineman's helmets on attempts. Maybe he'll get better with 80,000 Whorn fans cheering him on? blink.gif

I am greatly concerned about our FG kicking game.   The new kid doesn't seem like the Super-kicker he was advertised as yet.   But then we were all over Baz his first year too when he was hitting offensive lineman's helmets on attempts.   Maybe he'll get better with 80,000 Whorn fans cheering him on?   blink.gif

From What I heard today that Woodward outperformed Hopovic in todays field goal practice against live rush With only narrowly missing from 57 and Hopovic missing many short ones but hitting from 57 on a wonderful kick. I also know that Steven is getting closer to being in playing shape and has worked through the soreness from the early practices.

Edited by HawaiianGreen

I am greatly concerned about our FG kicking game. The new kid doesn't seem like the Super-kicker he was advertised as yet. But then we were all over Baz his first year too when he was hitting offensive lineman's helmets on attempts. Maybe he'll get better with 80,000 Whorn fans cheering him on?

I remember Baz's first game, I believe it was against UT. If I remember a FG or a kick-off was shanked very, very badly. He very quickly got things righted, and everything turned out okay. Woodward will be okay, just gotta be patient.