Eddrick Gilmore to miss 2006 season DRC

OldTimer

Football: UNT's Gilmore to miss 2006 season

02:34 PM CDT on Tuesday, July 25, 2006

By Brett Vito / Staff Writer

NEW ORLEANS – Linebacker Eddrick Gilmore has not met NCAA eligibility requirements and will not play for North Texas this season, Mean Green coach Darrell Dickey said Tuesday during the closing session of the Sun Belt Conference’s annual media days.

Gilmore was expected to compete for a starting spot at outside linebacker in the Mean Green’s new 3-4 base defense.

Dickey would not comment further on the reasons why the sophomore will miss the upcoming season.

“It’s disappointing because we were counting on him competing for a starting job,” Dickey said.

Gilmore was one of the top-rated players in UNT’s 2005 recruiting class. He played sparingly as a freshman, posting five tackles and a sack.

For complete coverage of Sun Belt media days, see Wednesday’s editions of the Denton Record-Chronicle.

BRETT VITO can be reached at 940-566

True, but your freshman year you just have to knock out prereqs and most of those are so easy that even if you don't go all the time you should pass and if your not going at all shouldn't the coaching staff know about it before now? I know in other sports they have mandatory study hours is it not the same in football?

Edited by MeanGreenBuzz

Not how did we let this kid fail off in 2 semesters. How did this kid fail HIMSELF off in 2 semesters? Now everyone is going to come out and bash DD and staff for not making sure he stayed eligible. He has everything readily available to him. Tutors should not have to chase him down, all he has to do is say "I need a tutor for this class." And bam there it is for him. Unacceptable on his part! This happens at all schools. If we can get through the summer with only one student/athlete having to sit, I consider it a good thing. These kids do have mandatory study hours/halls that they must reach.

From a football standpoint this hurts as hey was a key component of the 3-4.

Edited by H-towngreen

HTown in a perfect world yes the kids would take all of the responsibility but reality says that won't happen in every case. Every football school in the Big 12 has an academic compliance area that makes sure these kids pick the right classes, go to study hall and show up to class. When I see the #1 recruit from last year fail out in just 2 semesters it concerns me about the system we have in place.

HTown in a perfect world yes the kids would take all of the responsibility but reality says that won't happen in every case.  Every football school in the Big 12 has an academic compliance area that makes sure these kids pick the right classes, go to study hall and show up to class.  When I see the #1 recruit from last year fail out in just 2 semesters it concerns me about the system we have in place.

Harry UNT has a great compliance area and the kids are enrolled in the classes that they need to be in with the Prof's that they need to take. You know I have some problems with RV but this is not one of them as this dept does all it can in helping the kids. Some of these young men did not learn in high school what it takes, and some just do not want to but out the efford to get it done in the class room.

Edited by PHSCoach

HTown in a perfect world yes the kids would take all of the responsibility but reality says that won't happen in every case.  Every football school in the Big 12 has an academic compliance area that makes sure these kids pick the right classes, go to study hall and show up to class.  When I see the #1 recruit from last year fail out in just 2 semesters it concerns me about the system we have in place.

Harry I do agree with you also. I give the kid 90% of the blame and the athletic dept the other 10%. But when it comes down to it there is only so much that they can do for him. At some point he has to man up and do it himself. I was just trying to get that out there before everyone jumped on and started placing blame on everyone except the kid.

there is nothing wrong with our system. Texas couldnt keep Romance Taylor from becoming acedimicly inelligible before he started carrying around pounds of pot. if they couldnt keep one of the top 10 recruits in the country from failing, I dont see how we could stop someone from doing the same. I dont kow Gilmore personaly, but if he is not smart enough to pass his Freshman level classes, he doesnt deserve to play for UNT. if he is smart enough and the problem is drive then he is even less deserving of the green uniform. my understanding is that UNT is top flight when it comes to dealing with learning disabilities. that, in my mind, removes the last of the excuses when it comes to not passing your classes. I only went to class 13 times my first semester (yes you are reading that correctly. not 13 hours but 13 individual times.) and most of those times I could barley walk. if they let me stay in school these kids shouldnt have a problem.

How does this happen in just 2 semesters of school? Was anyone helping this kid? This one is hard to explain and very disappointing.

Bottom line - you can't make someone succeed. There has to be some "want to" from the individual. Many times this want to does not happen until something is taken away and they realize how much they miss it.

UNT has the highest compliance rate with NCAA academic requirements among the Div I public universities in Texas.

Our academic coordinator does a heck of a job. In the end it's the student that's responsible. The athletic department does everything they can to keep these kids in school.

Hi, I’ve been a longtime lurker, but this seems like an appropriate time to offer my perspective. As an instructor at North Texas I’ve had many student athletes in my classes. I can assure you that the athletic department here is extremely diligent in its efforts to monitor student attendance and grades. To give you an example, one week I received incessant phone calls and e-mails from the athletic department to verify that a female golfer had not missed a single class! She hadn’t. I don’t think she missed once (except for university sponsored travel) all semester. They informed me of suspicions that she had missed a single day of classes, and had my records confirmed that, they would have held her out of an upcoming tournament.

I’ve had several football players in my classes, and in my experience they have been some of the most dedicated and enthusiastic students. I do understand that this is not always the case. But, they certainly are under scrutiny from the athletic department in regards to attendance and overall progress in the class. I have been fortunate enough never to have had an issue relating to attendance with any of the football players in my classes. Of course, I cannot speak for the North Texas academic community as a whole, but I just thought I would contribute my individual perspective on this point.

Hi, I’ve been a longtime lurker, but this seems like an appropriate time to offer my perspective. As an instructor at North Texas I’ve had many student athletes in my classes. I can assure you that the athletic department here is extremely diligent in its efforts to monitor student attendance and grades. To give you an example, one week I received incessant phone calls and e-mails from the athletic department to verify that a female golfer had not missed a single class! She hadn’t. I don’t think she missed once (except for university sponsored travel) all semester. They informed me of suspicions that she had missed a single day of classes, and had my records confirmed that, they would have held her out of an upcoming tournament.

I’ve had several football players in my classes, and in my experience they have been some of the most dedicated and enthusiastic students. I do understand that this is not always the case. But, they certainly are under scrutiny from the athletic department in regards to attendance and overall progress in the class. I have been fortunate enough never to have had an issue relating to attendance with any of the football players in my classes. Of course, I cannot speak for the North Texas academic community as a whole, but I just thought I would contribute my individual perspective on this point.

UNT has the highest compliance rate with NCAA academic requirements among the Div I public universities in Texas.

Enough said in my opinion. I know we are alle pissed about losing a guy like Gilmore, but this time the blame should not be laid at the feet of the coaching staff/athletic dept.

Since he failed..does this mean that he cannot participate in practice at all???  He can run the "DUMMY" defense!!!  I'm so sorry.

You're better than that.

Sigh, my adopted player is out. My new adopted player..................Sam Owusu-Hemeng.

thanks for the insight GreenDylan...that makes me proud to hear that about our student athletes. Everyone has to keep in mind that these kids come from schools all over the state, and many of them aren't the finest in academic standards. We've all seen how prized athletes sweet talk and loaf their way through high school. Maybe he just wasn't prepared for college academics. It's tough to grow up as a man, player, and a student all in 1 year....especially when you've been babied for the last couple years in high school.

Hi, I’ve been a longtime lurker, but this seems like an appropriate time to offer my perspective.  As an instructor at North Texas I’ve had many student athletes in my classes.  I can assure you that the athletic department here is extremely diligent in its efforts to monitor student attendance and grades.  To give you an example, one week I received incessant phone calls and e-mails from the athletic department to verify that a female golfer had not missed a single class!  She hadn’t.  I don’t think she missed once (except for university sponsored travel) all semester.  They informed me of suspicions that she had missed a single day of classes, and had my records confirmed that, they would have held her out of an upcoming tournament. 

I’ve had several football players in my classes, and in my experience they have been some of the most dedicated and enthusiastic students.  I do understand that this is not always the case.  But, they certainly are under scrutiny from the athletic department in regards to attendance and overall progress in the class.  I have been fortunate enough never to have had an issue relating to attendance with any of the football players in my classes.  Of course, I cannot speak for the North Texas academic community as a whole, but I just thought I would contribute my individual perspective on this point.

This is really good information to hear and I appreciate you sharing it with us.

This is really good information to hear and I appreciate you sharing it with us.

Thanks! I think we sometimes downplay how difficult it can be to merge tremendous pressures and countless hours in preparation for playing with the everyday demands of being college students. Some football players I've spoken with have amazing obstacles to overcome in their personal lives that we never hear about as well. But, I can honestly say that my conversations with some current players have given me great hope for the future of this football program.

Don't give the kid a crutch...that is not what he needs. It is NOT the coaching staff's fault. Too many young adults these days require babysitting, which translates to their work habits, and eventually leads to a tear in the moral and ethical fabric of our society.

OK...I am now off of my soap box...