Jamario Thomas

UNTLifer

Why do I keep reading that Jamario is injury prone? He leads the nation in rushing, 275 for 1872 yards, as a freshman and then pulls a hamstring as a sophmore, never fully recovers, but how much was he really going to contribute with it being PC's senior year? One nagging hamstring injury does not make one injury prone.

Actually, I think it does.  He's very prone to recurring hamstring injuries, is he not?

Yeah... I am a big Jamario fan, but his hamstring hasn't been fully healthy since the second quarter of his second start two years ago. Now how much of a role that will play in how good he is, I don't know. He put up 291 yards with the same "bum hamstring," so maybe it is just a low grade injury.

Who do we have backing up Ja Mo?

ANSWER: A big bag of nothing...I know some of you are big on Devin Cox, but he cannot carry us if there was an injury to J-Mo.

I have been accused of wearing the ol' "Green Glasses" but I do not want to hear from someone how Devin could carry the load, and for me to expect big things from him. That would be QUITE a stretch.

Well if Jamario is injured early on this season or can't come close to meeting his Freshman year results, NT will be sucking wind this season.  Who do we have backing up Ja Mo? huh.gif

Right now, Deavin Cox and James Mitchell are the principal backups. More on that August 4th with the running back preview. smile.gif

Damn you people. Super Jamario is not the problem. He is not injury prone. If he played with the same hamstring injury he supposedly had last year during his freshman year, then he has proven that he will play injured---and that he plays AT A VERY HIGH LEVEL even while injured. Do you people not remember him being fully dressed out for every home game last season....heck, he even rode the bike during most of the games. Blame RF. Blame Pat Cobbs....but stop blaming Super Jamario.

Damn you people.  Super Jamario is not the problem.  He is not injury prone.  If he played with the same hamstring injury he supposedly had last year during his freshman year, then he has proven that he will play injured---and that he plays AT A VERY HIGH LEVEL even while injured.  Do you people not remember him being fully dressed out for every home game last season....heck, he even rode the bike during most of the games.  Blame RF.  Blame Pat Cobbs....but stop blaming Super Jamario.

Settle down. No one is blaming Jamario on anything. At least I'm not. I merely want to know what the battle plan is in case he gets hurt.

ANSWER:  A big bag of nothing...I know some of you are big on Devin Cox, but he cannot carry us if there was an injury to J-Mo.

I have been accused of wearing the ol' "Green Glasses" but I do not want to hear from someone how Devin could carry the load, and for me to expect big things from him.  That would be QUITE a stretch.

A big bag of nothing? You have got to be kidding. I wouldn't call James Mitchell, Devin Cox, and Evan Robertson a big bag of nothing.

What happened in the Baylor game in Waco?  We were clobbering them on our way to a blowout win and then J-mo goes down.  Hamstring.  What happened there?  I'm not attacking just curious.

He got horse collared...and injured. Out for the game. Next week, he's back in. The LB who got him had been talking trash about him all week, then gets a cheap collar tackle on him. Cheap shots happen. This is football after all. The major point is that he's back in the next week and plays in every meaningful game from that point forward.

Last year was an abberation and who knows what really was going on there. I tend to distrust 'The Man', and the Man in this situation is RF. Did RF keep JMo on the sidelines b/c he couldn't figure out how to use Cobbs and JMo at the same time and was just being loyal to Cobbs? I don't know. But the conspiracy theorist inside me says that RF is to blame. Not Super Jamario.

Look some people spew hate about UT, SMU, etc, etc, etc....I tend to reserve my rants to trusting in Super Jamario and hating Devil Fran. Those are my 2 talking points. I'm not giving them up easily.

last year cant count in any way against jamario. if patrick had went down or wasnt patrick, jamario would had played every snap. i am tired of hearing that he is injury prone. even if he does get hurt anybody would if they get the ball 30 times a game and the other team and 15,000 other people know he is going to get it.

If you don't want to use the injury prone label, that is totally fine. I'm not sure I would use that word, either, but here are the facts:

1) Jamario was starting for only five quarters before he goes down with an injury

2) Jamario was hampered by the injury for the entire 2004 season.

3) Jamario was still injured in the off-season, often clutching his hamstring from time to time and looking a step slow.

4) Jamario was still bothered by the hamstring throughout the 2005 season (got up hobbling and clutching the hamstring tackle after tackle).

5) Jamario, as late as the end of spring ball, still had a few hamstring issues, though they seemed much less pronounced than during the season.

All of that said, here are a few more facts:

1) Two weeks ago, in the informal 7-7 practice, he looked every bit as quick as he did his freshman campaign, and I never saw him touch the back of his leg once.

2) He told me personally during the practice that it felt "better."

3) He hung 291 yards on an opponent with a bum hamstring.

4) He put up 1500+ yards in the season with the same bum hamstring. (excluding Baylor and Colorado)

5) Last season was mostly given over to Patrick, because we really run a feature back offense. We never got to see how J-Mo really played.

Make all of that what you will, but those are facts, plain and simple.

Evan Robertson impressed me during two-a-days.  He is fast.  I wonder if he can hold up with his small size though. His size makes me question his durability.

Quintin Griffith was rather demure and he managed to not only make it through the Big 12 but landed a spot on the Broncos. Barry Sanders was a tad undersized too. I'm not sure size is the issue when it comes to RB durability. Maybe it's more of, can you make them miss? If you can then you'll probably be pretty durable. If you can't, regardless of size, it's going to be a rough season for you.

Quintin Griffith was rather demure and he managed to not only make it through the Big 12 but landed a spot on the Broncos.  Barry Sanders was a tad undersized too.  I'm not sure size is the issue when it comes to RB durability.  Maybe it's more of, can you make them miss?  If you can then you'll probably be pretty durable.  If you can't, regardless of size, it's going to be a rough season for you.

I don't think it has as much to do with height as it does to do with outright size. Both of the guys you mentioned were shorter, but were both built fairly thickly. Robertson is slender, which is certainly a hurdle to overcome.

If you don't want to use the injury prone label, that is totally fine.  I'm not sure I would use that word, either, but here are the facts:

1) Jamario was starting for only five quarters before he goes down with an injury

2) Jamario was hampered by the injury for the entire 2004 season.

3) Jamario was still injured in the off-season, often clutching his hamstring from time to time and looking a step slow.

4) Jamario was still bothered by the hamstring throughout the 2005 season (got up hobbling and clutching the hamstring tackle after tackle).

5) Jamario, as late as the end of spring ball, still had a few hamstring issues, though they seemed much less pronounced than during the season.

I am officially naming illuvius32 as my mortal enemy.

The only important points in this entire 'fact' filled post are:

All of that said, here are a few more facts:

3) He hung 291 yards on an opponent with a bum hamstring.

4) He put up 1500+ yards in the season with the same bum hamstring. (excluding Baylor and Colorado)

>> He led the Fing nation with a bum hamstring!!!

5) Last season was mostly given over to Patrick, because we really run a feature back offense.  We never got to see how J-Mo really played.

>> If you know this for certain, then RF has just supplanted you as Mortal Enemy #1

Evan Robertson impressed me during two-a-days.  He is fast.  I wonder if he can hold up with his small size though. His size makes me question his durability.

Evan has looked very good each time he has been given the opportunity. Expect him to contribute big time this fall.