What was the first UNT game that you attended?

calvin

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

'03 in the rain at owen field against #1 ranked OU. we lost i want to say 37-3. but they didnt cover the spread and it was an awesome game.

Mine was 1980 vs one of the directional Louisiana teams. I think it was Southwestern (now ULaLa). The game was notable because Malcolm Jones ran for a school record 248 yards. That held up for over 20 years before PCobbs and Jamario started shredding the record book.

I was unfamiliar with North Texas until my family moved to Denton in the Summer of 1970. The first game I ever saw was a televised game between NT and Tulsa in Tulsa on December 5, 1970. Tulsa won 26-20. I think that Drew Pearson played in that game. The first game I saw in person was on October 30, 1971 when NT defeated Drake 21-12. A friend of mine played in the Strickland Jr. High band and they had some kind of Band Day for local schools with deeply discounted tickets. Unlike PMG, I don't remember a big crowd even though it was Band Day.

1983 - NT vs West Texas State

Since I am from the Panhandle, it was nice to see my university beat the school that many of my HS classmates were attending (the other big school for students from my area is Tech, so our several Tech victories in years to come were especially sweet for me).

North Texas vs. Howard Payne '58 or '59.

----North Texas last played Howard Payne in 1949 in Brownwood. Perhaps you meant Hardin Simmons which did play NT in 1959 (46-24) in Abilene or maybe 1960 in Denton (26-19).

----My first NT game was against West Texas State in Denton, 1964. The most enjoyable game I witnessed was the Tortilla game in Lubbock against Tech in 1988 when we made a great come-back (29-24). My wife is a Tech-alum and all my kids (2 future NT alums, and one Aggie) were there as well...

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

My first one that I recall was actually a basketball game. I believe it was 1988(maybe '89?) and we played SMU. I know we lost whatever the case. I think we jacked up about 40 three's.

How things have changed. rolleyes.gif

The first NT football game I vividly remember going to was during Mitch Maher's tenure, in '94. I had just taken the SAT and went to Fouts right afterwards. Actually I think it was the Montana game mentioned earlier. There was a huge crowd, at least 20K. And Maher had a chance to win the game on the final play but the pass went incomplete.

I know my folks probably took me to a game or two when I was really young, but I can't recall any.

I was unfamiliar with North Texas until my family moved to Denton in the Summer of 1970.  The first game I ever saw was a televised game between NT and Tulsa in Tulsa on December 5, 1970.  Tulsa won 26-20. I think that Drew Pearson played in that game.  The first game I saw in person was on October 30, 1971 when NT defeated Drake 21-12.  A friend of mine played in the Strickland Jr. High band and they had some kind of Band Day for local schools with deeply discounted tickets.  Unlike PMG, I don't remember a big crowd even though it was Band Day.

THE FOLLOWING WILL BE OLD HAT FOR SOME, BUT NOT FOR NEW GMG.COM MEMBERS & NEW LURKERS:

Band Day right now would be a waste of time because it would be done half-assed, for sure wouldn't succeed because of that and then some NT powers that be would say: "See, we told you it wouldn't work." We've sung this song B4 with other attempted (but not followed up upon) promos, now haven't we?smile.gif

BUT.................the Band Days I attended as a youth at University of Houston Cougar football games annually had as many as 14,000 bandsmen in attendance. They were quite impressive with their pre-game or half time shows and were always a Coog' fan favorite as far as any other UH Game Day promotions went. Going to also bet UH sold a bunch of Cougar gear because I could be counted among that group as I got to attend as a handler of instruments since I played on our HS football team.

If UNT just had 4,000 bandsmen (filling almost one Fouts Field end zone) for a Band Day you also get some of those 4,000 bandsmen's parents, grandparents, brothers and sisters to our game. The NT Bookstore would have to bring out significantly more NT or Mean Green oriented gear to sell with such a large group visiting our campus (and many for the first time).

If one gave it much thought, many band member-types are usually "upwardly mobile" academic types with their respective Texas high schools, so what a nice group to have out on a Game Day especially for the UNT Under-Graduate Admission staff of recruiters to have on their turf to recruit instead of them having to travel to all those band member's respective turfs in Dallas, Fort Worth and beyond. IMO, at such College and Career Days (which I've attended representing past employers) a far less smaller group who would be interested with UNT since all the ex SWC schools as well as regional Big 12 schools would be circling our wagon. UNT recruiters would simply get lost among that crowd..................Therefore, you might want to get a few thousand Texas HS bandsmen (students) on our turf to do some serious recruiting at a UNT Band Day.

But as some of you have said, I realize some things have changed at some schools among the UIL, but I still bet we have enough NT-graduated HS band directors in the Southwest that if NT broke tradition and developed some rapport with that elite degreed group of NT Exes that we would be able to get many of their Texas (Oklahoma?) HS bands to Fouts Field for one game per year. Also, the UIL doesn't affect Texas private HS band programs who might have UNT-graduated band directors, right?

Inasmuch that UNT is the 2'nd largest College of Music in the USA in enrollment, I believe at some point in time with the right group, we should start using our strengths to our advantage. I know 2 other Texas colleges who still do Band Days, but they seem to have more of a "can do" spirit about themselves.

..........................................................................................................

ON A SIDE NOTE: Amazingly enough and since you mentioned it, NDT, I also remember watching that ABC TV televised NORTH TEXAS vs Tulsa U game back in 1970 from my home.

All I knew about Denton at that time was that a first cousin of mine who worked at Dow Chemical Company in Freeport had graduated from Texas Women's University. The Houston area back then was SWC all the way with media emphasis on UT, TAMU (what's new with that?) and to some extent the University of Houston. UNT rarely received but a footnote of coverage once in a blue moon in the Houston Post and Houston Chronicle because I regularly read both newspapers sports pages. Don't think much has changed in that regard, either.

That is where you lost me.

I agree, UNTLifer, it was a pretty tough (and typically lengthy) read. rolleyes.gifsmile.gif

And no, I don't expect UNT to ever plan or effectively pull off a Band Day promo because those are the kinds of things we just don't do in Denton. That sorta' like our's regularly not going after new or former MG fans to fill those other 15,000 empty seats for most our home games, too, right? wink.gif

.....................................................................................

On another side-note, one of the things that has lost me and others is how so many are making the SMU game as Dickey's make or break game as future NT coach. Some are now saying he can beat SMU, lose the rest and all is OK? blink.gif

SMU is no magic potion for UNT and never will be. If we eventually get around to building a new football stadium we will pass them by in football like that Road-Runner cartoon; if we don't build a new stadium before the end of this decade we will continue to fiddle-fart around with intercollegiate football in Denton even longer (somewhat like we have most the last 3 decades if one would check his/her media guide).

Also, those from the Hilltop will not want UNT in CUSA today, tomorrow and won't want us in their little fraternity of an athletic league next decade or the one after that--so on and so forth. Mark it. There are some trends we can learn from in Denton if we would just take notice of such trends. The UNT/SMU association has such a trend that shows we will never be in the same athletic conference bed with the Mustangs for you who think that is real important or necessary.

One of the games from 1995. I don't remember who we played. I just remember we lost but that I had a good time. I kept wondering how it was possible to have receivers that dropped what I saw as about 69-70% of all passes that were catchable. I also remember that 60-70% of the passes thrown were not catchable. rolleyes.gif

Anyhow I still had a good time out there with what I will refer to as "die hards". Because anyone who sat through at least two games of that kind of football just enjoys the game and pulls for their school, no matter what the circumstances. First game that really hooked me though was the 1997? game against Texas Tech.

Edited by Stan R

UNT rarely received but a footnote of coverage once in a blue moon in the Houston Post and Houston Chronicle because I regularly read both newspapers sports pages.  Don't think much has changed in that regard, either.

it hasnt.

Id be suprised if you even saw a footnote. Thats why this Rice series will be a good thing. Would like to see UH in there as well.

Of course, moving to C-USA would be tremendous for our visibility as well, as Houston is a C-USA (and Big 12) city.

Edited by Eagle1855

Guest JohnDenver

UNLV or NMSU or Houston .. I forget which one. I tend to think UNLV since there was some hoopla about a big time NCAA coach returning? The memory is getting vague.

I honestly don't remember the opponent. An early game in 1987. I was underwhelmed. Eventually my friends and I had several great times at games. The game at UT in '88 solidified me "Green".

Here's to great times at the new "Bowl at Eagle Point".

GO MEAN GREEN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!