Texas State ASG wants I-A football

BobcatKing

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will tell you this.  The ASG started the name change to Texas State.  That happened.  The BOR approved our move up to I-A in 2000.  To my knowledge that approval is still in effect with one provision that we must seek membership in a I-A conference.

BTW. Texas has their own problems with UTSA wanting to start a football program at the I-A level. There has been several articles in the SA newspaper talking about a new SWC with UNT, TCU, SMU, Houston, Rice, Tulsa, Louisiana Tech, Louisiana-Lafayette, New Mexico State, Arkansas State, Texas State and UTSA as future members.

A lot of people would love to see a conference such as you listed form.

Here's the problem. SMU, RICE, TULSA, and HOUSTON won't leave CUSA to start this league from scratch. Then, UTSA doesn't even play football. You need 8 to form a league from scratch.

There is a way for most of the schools you mentioned to be grouped together.

As an E-WAC

Most people think Boise St., and only Boise St., will be added to the MWC.

This would leave the WAC with 8, and with the strong possibility of La Tech leaving as well. This would leave them in a vulnerable position, perhaps willing to deal.

W-WAC

Idaho

Utah State

Nevada

San Jose State

Fresno State

Hawaii

E-WAC

New Mexico State

Texas State

North Texas

Arkansas State

Louisiana Tech

Louisiana

...or

The MWC goes to 12 with Boise, Fresno, and UTEP.

Then, we could make an all new league with:

Nevada

Utah State

New Mexico State

Texas State

North Texas

Arkansas State

Louisiana Tech

Louisiana

I would prefer either lineup to the current mish mash we have in the SBC.

No! No! No! What we don't need is more 1A, in state rivals. We already have them. What we need to do is elevate our football program so that we are in CUSA and play UTEP, Houston, Rice, SMU and other teams from that conference. Plus, games with TCU would been a must. Why do we worry about Texas St and UTSA? Let's think beyond those schools. If you people want to play them then drop the program down to 1AA Southland level. Then you can add SFA to the schedule. But I won't be around to see it. No more 1AA. mad.gif

No! No! No!  What we don't need is more 1A, in state rivals.  We already have them.  What we need to do is elevate our football program so that we are in CUSA and play UTEP, Houston, Rice, SMU and other teams from that conference.  Plus, games with TCU would been a must.  Why do we worry about Texas St and UTSA?  Let's think beyond those schools.  If you people want to play them then drop the program down to 1AA Southland level.  Then you can add SFA to the schedule.  But I won't be around to see it.  No more 1AA. mad.gif

Have to agree with that. We need to push to get up into CUSA, not sideways into Southland II.

No! No! No!  What we don't need is more 1A, in state rivals.  We already have them.  What we need to do is elevate our football program so that we are in CUSA and play UTEP, Houston, Rice, SMU and other teams from that conference.  Plus, games with TCU would been a must.  Why do we worry about Texas St and UTSA?  Let's think beyond those schools.  If you people want to play them then drop the program down to 1AA Southland level.  Then you can add SFA to the schedule.  But I won't be around to see it.  No more 1AA. mad.gif

For the same reason we should have worried about FAU, FIU, and Troy who have all passed us in Athletic Accomplishments.

TX state and UTSa with the right leadership can easily pass us if they made the committment to 1-A football and athletics.

We might be 1-A but we run our programs as if we are 1-AA or worse.

Some would say we ARE in the Southland II.

What do we do if there are no openings in CUSA for 7-10 years, if at all.

There are other options than staying where we are, and they should be explored.

If CUSA is looking closed for several years I'd prefer the East/West WAC allignment as you proposed (or some version). With a 12-team conference you could play all 5 division opponents plus 3 cross-over games (4/4 home/away) and 4 OOC games = 12.

East:

NMSU

UNT

Louisiana

ASU

La Tech

ULM (or Texas State)

West:

Fresno

Hawaii

Nevada

Utah St.

Idaho

SJSU

I don't believe UT Austin cares squat about football movements at UT San Antonio or Texas State.  They occupy such a special, dominating position that, really, nobody is any kind of recruiting threat or fan base threat or financial threat to them. 

Texas State could switch football classifications and UT San Antonio could add football, and I really believe that UT Austin would barely even notice.

Now, they might take notice of a professional football franchise ever moves into the region....

Truer words were never spoken...

One thing for Bobcat fans to remember is that in 1-A, the Barrick Nealy-s of the NCAA world will not be transferring there anymore.  They will be lighting up 1-AA at SFA or SHSU or somesuch.

For 2006, Texas State signess include:

- Texas Tech wide receiver Jake Brown

- Arkansas wide receiver Rick Culbert

- Utah State wide receiver Cameron Luke

- Purdue quarterback David Ramirez

- Arizona State defensive linemen Mark Washington

Sorry to interrupt you...you were saying?

I have no problem with Texas State growing as a program.

I don't agree that FIU, FAU, and Troy have passed us up in athletic accomplishments either. Ask anyone around the country about North Texas, and you'll at least see some sign of recognition of the program's existence. I don't know if we can say that about those Florida schools yet.

For 2006, Texas State signess include:

- Texas Tech wide receiver Jake Brown

- Arkansas wide receiver Rick Culbert

- Utah State wide receiver Cameron Luke

- Purdue quarterback David Ramirez

- Arizona State defensive linemen Mark Washington

Sorry to interrupt you...you were saying?

I guess you didn't read what he said. Those you mentioned ARE the "Barrick Nealy-s of the NCAA world"

I have no problem with Texas State growing as a program.

I don't agree that FIU, FAU, and Troy have passed us up in athletic accomplishments either.  Ask anyone around the country about North Texas, and you'll at least see some sign of recognition of the program's existence.  I don't know if we can say that about those Florida schools yet.

all relative to geography few outside of SW region will know North Texas, as SE would know those 3 schools.

Troy is more national due to their OOC wins.

FAU has beaten us 2 straight years in F-B and in tennis this year, they join full-time next year.

FIU should have beaten us last year and they are up their in other sports.

If they have not passed us then they are very close.

all relative to geography few outside of SW region will know North Texas, as SE would know those 3 schools.

Troy is more national due to their OOC wins.

FAU has beaten us 2 straight years in F-B and in tennis this year, they join full-time next year.

FIU should have beaten us last year and they are up their in other sports.

If they have not passed us then they are very close.

I was flying from El Paso last week. The lady next to me asked were my school ring was from. I told her North Texas. She had a blank look on her face. I then told her it's in Denton. She responed ..oh I went to TWU. We were NTSC when she was at TWU.

You're probably right about the geographical differences.  When you follow a team as closely as we die hards tend to do...it's hard to imagine someone that has never even heard of it.

Our momentum was building...next season is VERY important.

I could not agree with you more. wink.gif

Troy passed UNT?

Don't ya'll have several more name wins? A bowl win and more bowl appearances?

Yes Troy has done well, considering how short a time Troy has been 1-A. They have a better stadium, a recent win over Top 25 Missouri and almost LSU, competative with large programs, and a Bowl game themselves.

Yes Troy has done well, considering how short a time Troy has been 1-A.    They have a better stadium, a recent win over Top 25 Missouri and almost LSU, competative with large programs, and a Bowl game themselves.

Not denying that Troy has done well but I can't believe a bunch of Texans can't muster enough arrogance to wiz on the idea that Troy has "passed" you. Keep this up and instead of being the Mean Green ya'll can be the Annoyed Pink.

Not denying that Troy has done well but I can't believe a bunch of Texans can't muster enough arrogance to wiz on the idea that Troy has "passed" you.  Keep this up and instead of being the Mean Green ya'll can be the Annoyed Pink.

We're not feeling very Mean these days in much....well, maybe women's soccer. sad.gif

Not denying that Troy has done well but I can't believe a bunch of Texans can't muster enough arrogance to wiz on the idea that Troy has "passed" you.  Keep this up and instead of being the Mean Green ya'll can be the Annoyed Pink.

Not Annoyed Pink, but maybe Fierce Fascia!

Right now a number of folk here are convinced that everything is bad and has been since Hayden Fry left. Anyone who doesn’t think everything is bad and had been since Hayden left is just an idiot wearing green colored glasses.

Bowl games don’t count since we’ve lost more than we’ve won. Any basketball coach that doesn’t get to the Sweet 16 must be fired.

Almost forgot, SMU is to blame for all of it.

Not Annoyed Pink, but maybe Fierce Fascia!

Right now a number of folk here are convinced that everything is bad and has been since Hayden Fry left. Anyone who doesn’t think everything is bad and had been since Hayden left is just an idiot wearing green colored glasses.

Bowl games don’t count since we’ve lost more than we’ve won. Any basketball coach that doesn’t get to the Sweet 16 must be fired.

Almost forgot, SMU is to blame for all of it.

NO!

Texas Lutheran. Come on!

Just ask Nate Dogg....