MGR Update

Harry

I know that we are thin on the D-line but come on. This is ridiculous. What happens in 4-5 years when our entire 2-deep D-line graduates. What D-linemen is going to want to sign with us in the next few years with all the players now here. O.K. I could understand DT but signing as many D-ends as we have. I thought that we could use 1 or 2 but not 4. This is the reason why we end up with years like last year, where we have no DTs, Qbs, or OL. You have to have balance in your recruiting classes. I don't call 2/3 of your class playing the same position balance.

I know that we are thin on the D-line but come on. This is ridiculous. What happens in 4-5 years when our entire 2-deep D-line graduates. What D-linemen is going to want to sign with us in the next few years with all the players now here. O.K. I could understand DT but signing as many D-ends as we have. I thought that we could use 1 or 2 but not 4. This is the reason why we end up with years like last year, where we have no DTs, Qbs, or OL. You have to have balance in your recruiting classes. I don't call 2/3 of your class playing the same position balance.

Don't forget that Dickey likes to switch positions of players he recruits. Some of these DLs could be OLs, TEs, FBs or LBs (or whatever) before it's all said & done.

Who's to say say all of these guys play D-end? They could end up somewhere else, couldn't they?

The reason is because look back at all of the players that are no longer with us. It happens to every school, you just do not keep everyone you sign, and of the ones you do sign, quite a few end up not panning out and never play to their "potential".

I wondered the same thing a few years ago when our top five LBs graduated in the same year. It seems awfully late to be worrying about re-tooling a position that already needs a lot of help.

I think the D-Line will be just as bad as it was last year. You can not expect Freshmen to come in and make a difference. Freshmen should be red shirted. That shows the progress of the program.

Hoping that the All-state DL from Dime Box will become your starter fresh out of HS is not progress.

Last season, we loaded up on DBs, because we lost almost our entire secondary to graduation. Every year, it seems we will be extremely thin in one area if this continues.

Edited by GangGreen

Interesting article on CFN.com . The article is on recuiting. Here's a portion I thought was appropriate here:

Step Three: There's one position that we must go after, and go after hard

What's the toughest college football position to fill? Quarterback? Nah, they're a dime a dozen. Running back? Puh-leez. Left offensive tackle? Possibly. No, the hardest position to fill is defensive tackle. The first problem is finding guys with the needed size. The second is to find a guy with that necessary beef that has the quickness to handle the position. Most really big guys end up playing on the offensive line, and many teams try to convert offensive linemen to the defensive side or else try to pump up defensive ends. A top-notch 275+ pound defensive tackle prospect is worth his weight in gold. Check out the best teams in America and check out their tackles; they're likely to be killers. Which leads to step four...