Another proud NT moment...

FirefightnRick

You people amaze me.

First, what does ANY of this have to do with the NT football forum?

Second, You could focus on the positives of this story which are: WFAA, a station almost everyone here believes to kiss SMU's butt, went to Denton to talk to a UNT professsor about hearing loss. They get numerous sound bites from students (some of whom are wearing NT stufff), and this gives NT exposure in the DFW area which most people on this board say we don't get. But no. You have to focus on a 4 second sound bite from a guy you don't know, have never met and start calling him names. You have learned well from your dark lord and master; attack and smear anyone different from you.

Third, Go to any campus in America and you will see other college logos different from that school. My neighbor graduated from A&M, yet went to UT Law. He wore Aggie maroon all the time and got very little flack for doing it. You see TSU, A&M, Harvard (et al) logos on UT's campus all the time. Let's say there's a student, no better yet, an employee at UT who, I don't know, has a NT flag raised in his office. DOESN'T HE KNOW WHAT SCHOOL HE'S AT? According to Rick, this sucker should be persecuted until he learns the error of his ways and succombs to wearing burnt orange.

Now that being said, I'd like nothing better than to see people wearing nothing but Mean Green paraphanalia on our campus. But just b/c someone wears a Texas sweatshirt is no reason to lambaste him and start calling him names. Unless your heart is just filled with that much hatred. Or maybe it's jealousy...

GO MEAN GREEN !!!!!!!!

You consider "wannabe" name calling? huh.gif My, but aren't you the hot-house orchid.

Texas can affort to ignore people wearing "other" gear, because just about everyone else in the state of Texas buys and wears their gear......and many have never set foot on their campus.

Texas has established themselves as the school that everyone loves to be associated with.

In case you haven't noticed, North Texas can't even find many places that will sell their gear, much less have their students/alumni (god forbid) buy any of it.

Texas regards loyalty to the Longhorns as some sort of entitlement. North Texas continues to struggle for even a fraction of that loyalty from it's students/alumni. Even though North Texas gave these same people (who wear UT gear on the North Texas campus) a fine education for a very reasonable price.

Jealousy? Maybe, but frustration would be more the case.

Edited by SilverEagle

You consider "wannabe" name calling?  huh.gif My, but aren't you the hot-house orchid.

No, I consider "bootlicker" name calling. Although I'm not sure I know what it means.

Silver, I agree with you on most points, I'm just tired of hearing rick complain about UT at every turn. As though they are the only school in America with a huge athletic budget. Last I checked Ohio State, OU, Notre Dame, USC, Stanford, A&M etc. all have tons of money. rick has some deep abiding hatred for UT. And that's cool, I have schools (TTech) I want to fail miserably, but I'm not going to be so petty as to smear them. If, god forbid, Mike Leach were to get Tech a National Championship, I'd congratulate my Red Raider friends and move on. You will never, I repeat NEVER hear rick take that high road towards Texas. He wouldn't know a high road if he was in the Alps.

And I'm jealous and frustrated too. I'm just trying to show some class. Isn't there a saying about catching more flies with honey?

GO MEAN GREEN !!!!!!!!!

In case you haven't noticed, North Texas can't even find many places that will sell their gear, much less have their students/alumni (god forbid) buy any of it.

From what I've heard from many sources is that UNT Administration won't let companies sell UNT gear. I am told it has to do wth licensing or high royalties.

I know that I've been to several stores around the metroplex and when I ask why I can't find UNT gear, Im told it has to do with our University.

Mx

I graduated from UT and proudly wear burnt orange. I have post graduate degress from UNT and proudly wear the "current" shade of green. As a graduate student on the Denton campus I wore and would wear both burnt orange and green.

You might find the individual is a UT gradueate. It considered a necessitity to have the various degrees from various colleges. I'm sorry you feel that UT has personally done something to you and the tone of this thread is a re-run of a re-run.

People that live in glass houses shouldn/ throw stones.

Edited by bison

EagleD, you lost a lot of wannabe support for your comments when you started with, "You people..."    Somehow that is a tone that only 8th grade teachers should be using to their classes.

The "You people" I was referring to were the first posters on this thread. Nothing more, nothing less. Sorry if it was misinterpreted.

GO MEAN GREEN !!!!!!!!!!

I graduated from UT and proudly wear burnt orange.  I have post graduate degress from UNT and proudly wear the "current" shade of green.  As a graduate student on the Denton campus I wore and would wear both burnt orange and green. 

You might find the individual is a UT gradueate.  It considered a necessitity to have the various degrees from various colleges.  I'm sorry you feel that UT has personally done something to you and the tone of this thread is a re-run of a re-run.

People that live in glass houses shouldn/ throw stones.

He looked like a guy holding a degree, maybe 2.... wink.gif

UT killed my parents when I was 5.

Eagle D

It's got nothing to do with my hatred of tU, nor does my pointing out students wearing others schools' gear on the NT campus have a damn thing to do with me not recognizing tU's championship as my own, as you think I should. It's quite obvious, that it bothers you, that I won't suck up to the longhorns. Cry yourself a river all you want, I'm never going to change my stance on it, so get over it.

To me, it's embarrassing to see people wearing other schools' stuff on our campus. Especially on local news when we have fought such a huge apathy problem for so long.

Students wearing other schools gear at NT has been discussed here on this board for over 8 years now and most do not like seeing it occur. It's why Emmitt started a fantastic program through Talons 5 years ago to offer Mean Green shirts to trade to students who were wearing other schools colors on campus, in order to promote Mean Green pride. And it was seen as a very successful promotion by many administrators on campus. Obviously, it's also not OK to administrators either as it's why RV immediately mandated to his student athletes when he got here that they will wear NT stuff when traveling to and from games and when on our campus if they wear any collegiate gear at all because he felt his program, the NT Athletic department, would lead by example. Read his post tonight. Notice the part where he mentions the "apathy"?

Although at that time I did not realize the depth of the apathy and lack of connection that existed at this university...

He's talking about raising money, but the apathy in Mean Green pride was also at an all time low before he came here, thus he started making the athletes start to set the examples by wearing NT gear and not some other schools gear with hopes that the non athletic scholarship students would soon follow.

Although I'm sure you don't believe me EagleD, I would have posted that link on that report had it been ANY SCHOOL sweatshirt on that kid, not just your beloved longhorns.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

This is ridiculous really, why is this still even going on, UT is national champs, get over it, we all know, who on the board hates UT.. so please stop pointing this out routinely.

besides, shouldnt this be under NON-Sports News, just let it go. UT is not our RIVAL, it never will be, EVER. SMU is our rival and i think will be our biggest RIVAL EVER in next coming years. they deserve as much hatred as you guys have shown to UT for no apparent reason.

the mean green is my favorite team to root for in any sport against any team anytime, or anyplace.

GO MEAN GREEN

--- There has been a lot of frustration shown because the level of play dropped tremendously... from four straight bowls to just two wins. To expect another championship and a bowl may have been a stretch but no one expected only two wins , especially when you consider how many games we had scheduled against rather weak competition. Adding to the frustration was we had two running backs that we considered excellent and had been national rushing champs.... so it looked obvious to most that a winning season would occur if not a conference championship.

---That is a bitter pill to swallow to drop that far. Hopefully next year we will do a lot better..... actually anything other than a winning season in the Sunbelt is not going to be satisfying and even with that, many fans and alums will expect more. The Belt is not the Big-12... I have no idea who really deserves the blame for such a drop-off,--- players' ability, players' motivation, coaching, or game plans or whatever.... but great disappointment and frustration is to expected after such a collapse and it is not surprising that many posters have been negative about things. Sure we have problems competing with the Big-12 schools and their Big bucks and established programs BUT the other Sunbelt teams aren't any better off than we are generally plus they are not in states with as much HS football talent as Texas has to recruit . May we do better in the future.

---I really don't understand the North Texas students that wear a lot of "gear" from other universities... especially those in Texas or ones we compete with on the "field" or recruit against. I am glad that UT won [helps the image of football in Texas and perhaps us as well] but I am not so impressed that I wear/buy clothing with their name on it.

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

Although I'm sure you don't believe me EagleD, I would have posted that link on that report had it been ANY SCHOOL sweatshirt on that kid, not just your beloved longhorns.  

Rick

Your right rick, I don't believe you. But that's not the point. The point is 95% of that story was good PR for NT. Something we all agree we don't get enough of. You had to focus on a 4 second sound bite at the VERY END OF THE STORY, and start name calling and being just generally negative. Where was the "Hey WFAA went to Denton and talked to a professor and some students! Unfortunatley some kid was wearing a Texas sweatshirt. mad.gif "? Rather than focus on the positives, which there are SO MUCH MORE OF, you had to only focus on the negative aspect (which there is only one), and start your Texas jealousy rant.

When I was a student I often wore a tank top from my girlfriends college, McMurry University, while playing basketball. I sure am glad there's no video of it or else you'd be calling me a traitor to my school, when all I did was wear a shirt my girlfriend gave me.

As far as NT student athletes wearing other school colors...That is unacceptable. I agree 100%.

Emmitt's campaign to get our school colors out is also a wonderful marketing ploy. I applaud it. It's great.

We should just be POSITIVE in our message to get our school colors out, and stop the jealousy rants, name calling, and smearing.

GO MEAN GREEN !!!!!!!!!!

Edited by EagleD

Your right rick, I don't believe you.  But that's not the point.

At least we agree on something, whether you believe me or not isn't the point. Nor do I care whether you believe me or not as I'm sure you can gather by now. I never even mentioned tU in the original post of this thread. The guy just happened to have their shirt on.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

At least we agree on something

Actually rick, we agree on UT a lot more than either of us wants to admit. If you want to criticize them, use good arguments. Don't just sling mud. Here's what I'm talking about:

Does UT care about their players?

Graduation rate for Longhorns in Big 12 cellar

'Low graduation rates are not acceptable,' UT athletic director says.

FROM STAFF AND WIRE REPORTS

Tuesday, December 20, 2005

The University of Texas ranks at or near the bottom of the Big 12 Conference in football and men's basketball graduation rates under a new standard released Monday.

NCAA President Myles Brand hailed the new formula, called the Graduation Success Rate, as more accurate than previous graduation rates. The new rate takes into account students who transfer to another school.

Under the new calculation, 76 percent of Division I athletes graduate. That compares with a 62 percent graduation rate under the federal standard, which penalizes schools for athletes who transfer.

"Our students today are far more mobile than they have been in the past," Brand said. "We must respect that migration of students in order to get accurate data."

Under both standards, Texas trailed all Big 12 schools in graduation rate among football players. Of football players who entered Texas in 1995 to 1998, the most recent data available, 40 percent graduated, at Texas or elsewhere. That compares with 31 percent under the federal standard.

Only 25 percent of UT men's basketball players from the 1995-98 classes have graduated, lowest among all teams at Texas and second-lowest in the Big 12.

Four UT teams (men's golf, men's and women's tennis, rowing) graduated all of their athletes, either at Texas or at the schools they transferred to. The women's basketball team had a graduation rate of 94 percent.

"Low graduation rates are not acceptable," UT Athletics Director DeLoss Dodds said in a statement. "The changes in the NCAA progress toward degree standards make it imperative that we continue to dedicate resources to assist student-athletes toward graduation."

Dodds noted that, because of the lag time necessary to calculate graduation rates, the statistics released Monday "do not reflect the work of our current student-athletes and coaching staffs."

Baylor was tops among Big 12 teams in football, with a GSR of 88 percent.

Nationwide, 65 percent of Division I-A football players graduated under the new standard.

Among men's sports, basketball had the lowest GSR, at 58 percent. The women's basketball rate was 81 percent.

Lacrosse had the highest GSR for both men and women, at 89 percent and 94 percent, respectively.

Now, see Rick? It's critical of UT without the name calling or smearing of people who enjoy their sports teams. I know this article will give you a lot of ammunition why UT is the "big sports devil" and once again, I agree with you more than I want to admit. But I ask you to have some civility. I know it's hard, but you can justify your feelings w/o calling someone a "bootlicker" or smearing them. Or maybe you can't...

GO MEAN GREEN !!!!!!!!