Will not support DD & RF any further....

Green Grenade II

I loved going to North Texas. Great education. Great times. I loved working for Hayden Fry. The best of times. I worked my way through school. NT provided the educational facilities, but I worked washing dishes for my meals, selling clothes at a downtown department store and played the piano for social dance classes.

I refuse to attend any more football games coached by Darrell Dickey. He has taken our football program down so far, and don't even get me started on his winning 4 SunBelt Championships. I will not attend the Football Banquet. I planned to, and then realized I will not listen to another Darrell Dickey speech.

This is not something I'm at all happy about, but it's just my way of making my own statement that until DD is gone, I am.

Meanwhile, a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all, and to all, a goodnight.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now gol' darn it Rick, I heard you were even the featured speaker at the 2005 NT football banquet so what in the wide world of sports is-a goin' on here with that announcment?!?!? ohmy.gif How can you even think of doing this to us now at such short notice!?!!? blink.gif

Just kiddin' pal, everyone needs to do what their conscience tells them to do considering our current state.

As someone once said: "This too shall pass?" sad.gif

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

I refuse to attend any more football games coached by Darrell Dickey. He has taken our football program down so far, and don't even get me started on his winning 4 SunBelt Championships.

Where were we before DD??? Were we soaring to new D-I heights? I remember us stuggeling to win anything with Matt Simon at the helm.

Have a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year in Fantasy Land.

Edited by meangreenfreak

When the going gets tough, I give up too.

Funny stuff!!! GG will be back. He has posted this so many times now that we set our clocks by it. It's shock value and rubbish...

Have a good time at the track, Rick. By the way, if your horse wins four races in a row, then comes in last one time... do you shoot him??? I wouldnt, but I'm dedicated.. just like the other people who continue to cheer for him.

Oh well, to each his own... see ya at the Banquet.

GMG!!!

Funny stuff!!! GG will be back. He has posted this so many times now that we set our clocks by it. It's shock value and rubbish...

Have a good time at the track, Rick. By the way, if your horse wins four races in a row, then comes in last one time... do you shoot him??? I wouldnt, but I'm dedicated.. just like the other people who continue to cheer for him.

Oh well, to each his own... see ya at the Banquet.

GMG!!!

I don't cheer for dd, does that mean Im not dedicated?

Merry Christmas.

UNT football bombs after four conference titles and all hell breaks loose needing the coach replaced.

Men's basketball is firmly entrenched again in the bottom third of the nation despite having a far superior facility than football does (compared to peer institutions) and I see few grumbles about the hoops situation.

UNT football bombs after four conference titles and all hell breaks loose needing the coach replaced.

Men's basketball is firmly entrenched again in the bottom third of the nation despite having a far superior facility than football does (compared to peer institutions) and I see few grumbles about the hoops situation.

Basketball is making progress. If you've watched the past many years you'd see the difference in athletes we now have. Football is falling. DD won't keep up with times, and who has he beat besides, sorry to say it, lousy SBC teams?...NO ONE. We fell to 77 ship players last year and likewise if you've watched the progress it's not where it should be for having won 4 so-called championships. dry.gif

Actually, the basketball team is doing great, and not everyone of us want Dickey outta here, I want RF out, and the OC from Navy in.

Arkstfan--

It is evident that you have not been to a UNT bb game and this is nothing personal.

1. JJ has done an excellent job recruiting after he has took the reins of the "failing" program from Coach Trilli. One comment that Coach Trilli said that really is memorable is and I paraphrase: You know you are getting better when you are losing in the single digits from the previous year and the next year you split the close ones and the following year you are winning the close ones. UNT has played a couple of tough teams close and in my estimate we could have easily won. Those games were Texas A&M and Houston. I did not see the A&M game but saw us play against Houston. We matched up well against Houston and could have easily won the game if it were not for the last 4 min. of the game when we failed to score.

2. IMHO, for what that is worth, UNT should be in contention for the SBC championship in BB this year. If we do not win it this year JJ has a "TREMENDOUS" recruiting class coming in next year!!! There are a couple of top tier JC players and a transfer from Arizona or AZ.State who will "dominate" the inside game.

3. As far as the FB program......we will have to see the recruits play before giving any judgement.

4. As far as us getting a new stadium......?????????

Arkstfan, UNT is perservering its reputation as an athletic employee's dream job with very nice Texas state benefits, ie, the NCAA's version of the Haven of Rest (isn't that the title of an old gospel song they sing at funerals)? ph34r.gif

Get your daddy to help swing you a job at UNT and you don't have to do much in Denton to please many of our fan base; hellsbells, you can even kick their arses around on the radio 5 years running just for the sport of it while some of the recipients of that just lay back and think that is part of what they are supposed to stay loyal to. blink.gif

But FWIW, there really are many of us (wish more of them would actually take the time to post) that are not happy with beating schools who (quite frankly) many of us had never heard of during another era when the Mean Green were playing, beating or (at least) playing close schools like Tennessee, SMU, Texas, Houston, a Top 20 ranked San Diego State, Mississippi State, Memphis, Oklahoma State, etc, etc, etc,

If all the schools who are now in the SBC had been in the SBC its first year (2001), I think I count (maybe) "one" NO's Bowl game we would have gone to, but our "very easy to satisfy" alumnus fan base who seemedly don't much won't a football program (that doesn't have a snow balls chance in hell of ever getting in the Top 25 under present conditions); anyway, many of our fan base just don't like to hear this kind of talk or even look at their NT Football Media Guide with some strategic scores in most our bowl years that would easily verify what some of us have been posting.

You see, Arkstfan, mediocrity is a disease that is very difficult to cure when you have a bunch in your fan base who think its already been cured.

Hopefully just one more year of all this and then maybe we can start getting serious about getting one who will lead and recruit toward Top 25 rankings (instead of Bottom 10/SBC success). Amazing as it is, there are a helluva' bunch of us who feel merely winning the SBC and playing the 4'th ranked CUSA team (and losing to them) is just not what we have in mind for our alma mater's football program.

What many still feel we can do we can even do as an SBC member, too. One only has to look at the MAC who seems to get their top football school(s) in the Top 25 from time to time. During our 4 bowl years, Dickey Ball could not even smell a Top 25 ranking (even when we won 1 of those bowl games we couldn't smell Top 25-----many would call that (alone) a red flag about a school's true direction with its football program, but at UNT we just want to get back to the top of a league that stays pretty well toward the bottom of the NCAA D1- rung. WE EVEN HAVE A REWARD STYSTEM @ UNT: Thru the years, we have put a few people in the NT Athletic Hall of Fame not so much based on accomplishment, but rather because they merely were on the UNT payroll for way too many damn years. I even had a PE instructor at UNT who was one such inductee. ohmy.gif

Now some will (once again) call me negative, but I will call what I am posting positive as I (and others) are identifying negative things that are happening to our alma mater while we teeter-totter non-stop in the bottom 1/3'rd (as you said it) of rankings with now some 1-AA schools ahead of us in Sagarins football rankings. I am trying to discover where I am missing what others seem to be seeing; that is, some semblance of a trend at UNT that indicates things will be much different in the near future (but be much differerent at a higher profile is where I feel will be the main shortcoming with NT football).

QUESTION: Don't most fans when there school goes to a bowl want their team to be in (or at least) pretty close to a Top 25 ranking............or to at least get a sizeable amount of votes for Top 25 consideration that indicates some are noticing and acknowledging with votes your school's football program's progress)?

There are some things or people in life that are truly worth being loyal to, but being loyal to "most easily identifiable" mediocrity is not one of those times to exercise such a trait that (even if you did) you may never get back in return among many employees at NCAA D1-A outposts. Hell, some of them if you don't watch out will attack you in the very stands you buy season tickets for each season. Now thee are some out there that might even say such activities as that may be the true measure of what a school's athletic employee-base might really think of its cu$tomer$, ya' think? sad.gif

Next year will be a tough $ell with all of this and I really do empathize toward the one who will have that responsibility.

HAPPY NEW YEAR! & Congrats Arkstfan On Yalls Good Showing in the 2005 NO's Bowl!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

After looking at the Fort Worth Startlegram today and not seeing any recruit, in any of the sections of the Nation's 100, State 100 and Area 51's top players, consider UNT I was again PO'ed!! I expect to see the BCS schools get the majority of the top players ..... BUT when you have kids signing and considering Akron, NMSU, SFA, Central Mich., Central Florida..........GIVE ME A BREAK!!!

1. I thought part of coaching is RECRUITING!!! RF maybe a good family man, may draw up some good plays but he CAN NOT RECRUIT AREA 51!! I call it Area 51 because it is a mystery to RF!!

2. If we are getting out recruited by D-1AA and Mid Major schools from Michigan, Florida, Ohio etc then immediate changes have to be made how and who(m) does the recruiting. If RF is not up to the task then UNT needs to find some "slick willie" who can get these athletes to come to UNT.

3. If DD and his staff can not recruit the State of Texas, anymore, and we see a preponderance of JC players entering the program we know the "End is Near."

4. If DD can not win just two of the OOC games next year then, IMHO, we need to get another coach and a staff that can recruit and build UNT into a respectable program that is not in the "Dante's Inferno" of the SBC and into an era of one of the top Mid-Major programs in the country.

Plumm, there are three kinds of coaches outside the BCS.

1. Them that are so good they move up the ladder.

2. Them that are so bad they get fired.

3. Them that aren't good enough to move up but not quite bad enough to fire (at least if they have the right friends).

ASU is saddled with #3 in basketball. It is a hell beyond description.

Another truism. Schools outside the BCS don't have the resources to get away with firing coaches with recent success. Ie. you can't pay enough to wash away the concern of smart coaches over what is going to be "good enough".

2006 is another day. And as a person with a degree of affinity for gang green, the nightmare scenario for you is 6-6 and finishing second or lower.

After looking at the Fort Worth Startlegram today and not seeing any recruit, in any of the sections of the Nation's 100, State 100 and Area 51's top players, consider UNT I was again PO'ed!!  I expect to see the BCS schools get the majority of the top players ..... BUT when you have kids signing and considering Akron, NMSU, SFA, Central Mich., Central Florida..........GIVE ME A BREAK!!!

1.  I thought part of coaching is RECRUITING!!!  RF maybe a good family man, may draw up some good plays but he CAN NOT RECRUIT AREA 51!!  I call it Area 51 because it is a mystery to RF!!

2.  If we are getting out recruited by D-1AA and Mid Major schools from Michigan, Florida, Ohio etc then immediate changes have to be made how and who(m) does the recruiting.  If RF is not up to the task then UNT needs to find some "slick willie" who can get these athletes to come to UNT.

3.  If DD and his staff can not recruit the State of Texas, anymore, and we see a preponderance of JC players entering the program we know the "End is Near."

4.  If DD can not win just two of the OOC games next year then, IMHO, we need to get another coach and a staff that can recruit and build UNT into a respectable program that is not in the "Dante's Inferno" of the SBC and into an era of one of the top Mid-Major programs in the country.

Starting to come over to the "other side?" cool.gif