19K+ At Game

El Paso Eagle

untbowler---

YOU can not be serious with that post comparing 2003 and 2004 to this year???

1.  This year we were not returning about 3/4 + of the entire team plus returning an experienced Jr/Sr. QB.

2.  UNT was ranked in the top 10 of Mid-Majors other than this year, as you remember!!

3.  Let me ask you point blank..........after one bad year do YOU want to replace DD??  I don't!!

4.  This brings us to the much talked about topic on the board:  "who ya goin get for what we pay??"  You actually going to get rid of someone who has revived the UNT FB program, put us in the top 10 of mid-majors and won 4 SBC championships???

5.  UNT is fortunate to have DD and I do not think ONE BAD year is enough to tell him to pack his bags.  Like some of you I DO NOT want to play "Musical Coach."  At least we know what DD is capable of doing---his record shows that (ok, so he needs to win more OOC games...I agree).

6.  Darn.......I am almost getting like Plummgreen on my posts.....sorry plum!!

Try and check some polls UNT was Top 10 this season after 2 weeks, then the embarassment started.

BTW DD has had 4 bad years in 8 and only 3 winning seasons in 8 years

Edited by untbowler

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My point is that DD has brought respectability to the UNT FB program and now he is having an off year and you want to replace him???? 

A couple of things you seem to have missed are several on this board have had problems with DD all along, and several more were on the fence. DD just getting by to win the Belt, Discipline, play calling, OCC, fan bashing, school bashing etc.... That is how it has been for the last four seasons I have been a member of this board.

Also I would call this more than a off year, worst home loss in History and a 2/8 record with one of the easiest schedules we have had in recent years.

Maybe he deserves another year in a football sense, but for an over all UNT & Mean Green program building sense no dang way. But I have no faith in DD and have seen nothing that makes me think he is a talented coach. I think DeLoach's Defense deserves most of the credit the last several years.

I have to agree with KindDL on this one. I’ve never been a big fan of DDs, but I have enjoyed the conference success and bowl games. I just get really tired of the constant remarks about the “situation” he has to work in. I think it is time for a new face. DD has laid a solid foundation, but I think it is going to take someone else to build upon that. DD has topped out here. There is a reason coaches move around a lot. You get to a point where the situation needs a fresh look. The fans are coming. When was the last time we had a crowd that big when we where 2-8? I don’t think DD will be fired because of the financial obligations, but it wouldn’t hurt my feelings if he found employment elsewhere.

You just can not have champaign on a beer budget guys unless it is miller, the champaign of bottle beer. tongue.gif

Sorry, I"m gonna have to go with Amstel as the champaign of beers laugh.gif.....anyways, I'm cool with DD. One terrible year, does not make a career. His career here has been great for North Texas. I have no problem keeping him around.....

by the way, what was the website that had the North Texas gear. I think the booth was right next to the raffle booth. I think i saw a website, not sure....thanks

Edited by radiogreen

I don't think that there were over 19,000 in the stadium at any one time, but there were thousands that entered late because of festivities outside in the parking lot, and thousands more that returned to the parking lot early.

I had to run out to my car 10 minutes into the first quarter and the parking lot was a sea of people partying.

I can't say say I blame the revelers. If I was 21 or 22 I might have found the temptation of beer and coeds to have been greater than sitting through the whole game.

I don't think it would be a reach to state that the surge in attendance over the last several years is as much a result to the game-day atmosphere as the product on the field.

Maybe, just maybe, we can get someone to start woking on making the same magic happen for Saturday night basketball games.

People that are claiming 15K is actual buts in seats are crazy. 

Agreed. I'd say it was more like 11-12K (7500 on student side and 4000 on pressbox side). There are 10,000 seats on each side, right? The student side looked 70 - 75% full. When I walked over and looked back at the pressbox side, it looked like about half as many as were on the student side.

Agreed.  I'd say it was more like 11-12K (7500 on student side and 4000 on pressbox side).  There are 10,000 seats on each side, right?  The student side looked 70 - 75% full.  When I walked over and looked back at the pressbox side, it looked like about half as many as were on the student side.

What the hell are you talking about? Student side was more than 75% full. More like 90%, I'm inlucing ULM folks as well. At one point the Alumni side was probably 90% full. If someone was sitting their ass in a seat at one point they were at the game, regardless of whether or not they left in the forth quarter.

What the hell are you talking about? Student side was more than 75% full. More like 90%, I'm inlucing ULM folks as well.  At one point the Alumni side was probably 90% full.  If someone was sitting their ass in a seat at one point they were at the game, regardless of whether or not they left in the forth quarter.

I'm talking about the point at which the place looked the fullest, say late 2nd quarter. Now, if people were constantly coming and going, I'm afraid I don't have the technology to figure that out.

I'm talking about the point at which the place looked the fullest, say late 2nd quarter.  Now, if people were constantly coming and going, I'm afraid I don't have the technology to figure that out.

Well, we'll have to disagree. Of course though, you'll realize that I'm right and you're incredibly wrong. laugh.gif

why are we all satisfied with 19K at a homecoming game?? we need to raise our expectations. UT has twice as many show up for their spring scrimmage! RAISE THE EXPECTATIONS & STOP SETTLING FOR LESS!

It wasn't but a few short years ago that many wanted to at least average 15-17,000 at Fouts. That was our goal then. Now our expections are to average 18-20,000. The key is "reasonable expections". From what I saw at the tailgating area last weekend, and the 18,000+ average we have going for us this year, I'd say we have moved our expectations up another bar. Let's see what happens this weekend.