Allen Ward fires Murray State football coach

NT80

MURRAY, Ky. - Murray State fired football coach Joe Pannunzio on Friday, a day after the Racers finished a 2-9 season in which they went winless in the Ohio Valley Conference.

Pannunzio was 30-37 in six seasons at Murray State, including a conference championship in 2002. Before being hired by the Racers, Pannunzio spent five seasons as an assistant to Tommy Tuberville at Mississippi and Auburn.

The Racers ended the season Thursday with a 49-20 loss at Tennessee-Martin.

Um you left the 2-9 record out of the title.  Why does what allan ward do have anything to do with us?  He doesn't work here anymore.

The coach's 2-9 season record, 30-37 overall record, including a conference championship, are all very similar to our situation. Some say DD is untouchable because of his conference championships. I say we should focus more on his overall record, including the OOC record and fan's confidence in the direction of the program. Are you happy with football at NT?

including a conference championship, are all very similar to our situation.  Some say DD is untouchable because of his conference championships.

(1 conf. champ, 3 years ago) = (4 conf. champs, one last year)

Must be the new math.

It looks to me like that one confernce championship bought the guy time, when over the next three years he only won 13 games. I assume DD will be given some time to right the ship also, because of the 4 conf. championships.

DD knows how this game works, if he doesn't start winning next year, then all this "new head coach" talk will have some real weight to it. If he wins, and especially if he wins and beats SMU, then things start looking rosy again.

I think the big difference is that DD has:

1. 4 conference championships in the last 5 years.

2. 3 winning seasons in the last...............4 years.

I will agree the percent of wins is the same BUT:

DD won 2 games in '99

............3 games in '00

............5 games in 01

............8 games in 02

............9 games in 03

............7 games in 04

............2***games this year......and the season is not finished.

I don't think you can compare Joe P's record with DD!!

We have seen definite improvement on the win side...so if DD & the Team only wins a couple of games this year....then it is just an off year. Happens.

Give DD a legitimate break this year.....I think the progressive wins each year tells the story.....

Some of you will point out the OOC record.....we have hashed that into the ground and we all agree BUT.......look at the progressive number of wins. If you do not call that improvement in a program then please do not compare DD with JP!

Must be the new math.

It looks to me like that one confernce championship bought the guy time, when over the next three years he only won 13 games.  I assume DD will be given some time to right the ship also, because of the 4 conf. championships.

Look beyond DD's titles of conference championships (and this is not the SEC we're talking here) and see we've won only 5 other 1-A games in 8 years. FIVE WINS IN EIGHT YEARS?? Talk about time being bought. A conference championship is not immunity from bad overall football = 29-51.

Edited by NT80

Look beyond DD's titles of conference championships (and this is not the SEC we're talking here) and see we've won only 5 other 1-A games in 8 years, EIGHT YEARS.  Talk about time being bought.  A conference championship is not immunity from bad overall football = 29-51.

You have to go back to Fry to find a more successful coach than DD, bottom line.

It doesn't matter if you think the SBC is a horrible conference, you can't tell me the southland was better than it.

And we never won the SLC 4 time in a row, and never won a 1AA playoff game.

DD has raised the level of expectations so much that people are not happy with 4 strainght bowl games. Do you remember when Simon left? I would have been happy if the new coach could have gotten us to 4 straight winning seasons.

Now, the standards have been raisesed, people expect more, but since DD was the guy who raised those standards, he is going to get some slack cut to see if he can move us the next level.

DD is getting fired this year, give that up.

Murray State (NCAA D1-AA & North Texas (NCAA D1-A)--apples & oranges.

NT has much more at stake with what we are attempting to do long-term than I would ever think Murray State would.

If anyone will look just how close all this has been unravelling the last 3 years, they might get off this "one bad year" kick.

4 games this year changed my mind 180 degrees as far as the direction DD is giving us: Our performance vs 2 "5 year old" SBC schools of which both still don't have full NCAA D1-A designations, the Tulsa blowout @ Fouts which was our worse home loss in our entire history and finally...............the straw that broke this camel's back: The loss to La Tech who has not been to 4 bowl games the last 4 years but (obviously) didn't need to because they have still been out-recruiting NORTH TEXAS those last 4 years and to add insult to injury (or is it the other way around; anyway, La Tech has been whooping us for recruits--in our own back yard. sad.gif Hopefully, apathy is not beginning to set in with those who (for whatever reasons) refuse to acknowledge much of what many of us have been saying on this subject the last few weeks.

BOTTOM LINE: You cannot have even "one" down year in the SBC at a school like NORTH TEXAS with all the resources we have compared to the other SBC schools. You just can't do it.

GOD BLESS TEXAS...

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

The Bowls were great, no doubt about it! I will always thank DD for taking us there. Many fans however think that we can stop there, that we arrived at our destination....a 1-A Top 75 school. WRONG. Bring out the Lifetime contract? NO WAY.

The media and others judge us on the National 1-A scene, where do we fit, how have we compared to other 1-A teams outside the SBC? POORLY. We are truly the Best of the Worst, that's it. Our entire conference is ranked #109 and LOWER. I don't expect to beat a LSU or even a poor Kansas State (yet) but I want a coach that is disgusted with losing (and losing badly!) to a Tulsa, La Tech, or especially a 1-8 program that's only existed 5 years. WE MUST HAVE HIGHER GOALS THAN THE SBC. mad.gif

Edited by NT80

MURRAY, Ky. - Murray State fired football coach Joe Pannunzio on Friday, a day after the Racers finished a 2-9 season in which they went winless in the Ohio Valley Conference.

Pannunzio was 30-37 in six seasons at Murray State, including a conference championship in 2002. Before being hired by the Racers, Pannunzio spent five seasons as an assistant to Tommy Tuberville at Mississippi and Auburn.

The Racers ended the season Thursday with a 49-20 loss at Tennessee-Martin.

Allen is my hero! biggrin.gif

The coach's 2-9 season record, 30-37 overall record, including a conference championship, are all very similar to our situation.   Some say DD is untouchable because of his conference championships.   I say we should focus more on his overall record, including the OOC record and fan's confidence in the direction of the program.   Are you happy with football at NT?

No, I'm not happy this year. But I had lunch on Thursday with three guy who were Talons by in the 70s. (That was back before there even WERE female Talons!) All give some money to the school and athletic program but none of the three read message boards.

While quite disappointed in this seasons results, all were quite stunned when I told them the fans on the message board were wanting to fire DD. One of the three started telling me about how he'd heard Hayden praising DD and could not believe someone would want to fire DD.

The other two starting telling me that from what they had seen, DD was actually doing a better job than Hayden did when he was here - that the football program seemed to be in better shape overall.

Their consensus we had a winning record playing "real football" (not 1AA) and who cared if we got clobbered by top BCS teams. I pointed out Tulsa is not a top BCS team, but they still could not believe there were people out to get rid of DD.

So when it is written that "fan's don't have confidence in the direction of the program," it is certainly not all fans. Many seem quite happy and are willing to spend money on it! That includes donors at both the $250 and $1000 level!

Edited by VideoEagle

If we were to fire dickey after winning 4 consecutive conference championships we would be ridiculed throughout the country. Noone and I repeat noone worth a damn would be interested in this job because it would be a revolving door. If you have a losing season you're fired at north texas. Plus who is going to pay dickey the millions that we owe him from RV extending his contract 4ever. Too many of our fans have cadillac taste with a yugo budget.

Come on back to reality, the water is fine!

This is response to NT 80 no I am not happy with how things are going right now but I am not ready to press the eject button either.  Programs will be down from time to time.  It happens get over it.  I predict Dickey will finish out his career here so get used to it.

Get used to it meaning, embarassing OOC losses home and away, settling for Sun Belt Titles and that is it. Having alums b**ch about lack of attendance and how little spirit the students have as well as coach who after a new stadium, new facilties, still will complain about having the most difficult situation.

If I hit the nail on the head, I guess myself and thousands of other will be able to get used to it. rolleyes.gif

The Bowls were great, no doubt about it!  I will always thank DD for taking us there.  Many fans however think that we can stop there, that we arrived at our destination....a 1-A Top 75 school.  WRONG.  Bring out the Lifetime contract?  NO WAY. 

The media and others judge us on the National 1-A scene, where do we fit, how have we compared to other 1-A teams outside the SBC?  POORLY.  We are truly the Best of the Worst, that's it.  Our entire conference is ranked #109 and LOWER.  I don't expect to beat a LSU or even a poor Kansas State (yet) but I want a coach that is disgusted with losing (and losing badly!) to a Tulsa, La Tech, or especially a 1-8 program that's only existed 5 years.  WE MUST HAVE HIGHER GOALS THAN THE SBC.    mad.gif

user posted image

What is funny is that had it not been for 9 points we would be 5-0 in conference and making bowl reservations. Sure, we would be 0-4 again in OOC play, but I doubt anyone would be talking about fireing any coaches this week.

Very few people seem to remember, though I keep reminding, that during the 26 game conference winning streak that we squeeked through by the skin of our teeth during 18 of those games. Great play and even greater defense has been a key part of those championships, but lady luck was certainly on our side as well. She tried to help us again in Murfreesborro this season, but I suppose she figured if we were not going to help ourselves out any more than beating a team that has been playing competitive football for only 3 seasons prior to this year by only 3 points that we could be on our own this season.

Rick

If we were to fire dickey after winning 4 consecutive conference championships we would be ridiculed throughout the country.  Noone and I repeat noone worth a damn would be interested in this job because it would be a revolving door.  If you have a losing season you're fired at north texas.  Plus who is going to pay dickey the millions that we owe him from RV extending his contract 4ever.  Too many of our fans have cadillac taste with a yugo budget.

Nebraska fired its coach (Solich) after posting a 9-3 record. ohmy.gif That earned Nebraska plenty of national ridicule. I doubt we'd even hit the radar screen for firing DD with 4 titles in the worst 1A conference.

Revolving door? DD has been here 8 seasons. ND has had more coaching changes (3) in 8 seasons then the Mean Green.

Right now it seems we are complacent with mediocrity. Why is just winning the SunBelt good enough for so many fans? We have been the best of the worst for the past 4 years ... and if we had won some OOC games at the same time, people would respect us a whole lot more. Instead, we have a 12* game losing streak going in OOC competition spanning more then 2-1/2 seasons.

Seriously folks, lets try to aim a little higher then just winning the Belt like we have the past 4 years.

*This includes FAU since they hadn't joined the conference yet.

If we were to fire dickey after winning 4 consecutive conference championships we would be ridiculed throughout the country.  Noone and I repeat noone worth a damn would be interested in this job because it would be a revolving door.  If you have a losing season you're fired at north texas.  Plus who is going to pay dickey the millions that we owe him from RV extending his contract 4ever.  Too many of our fans have cadillac taste with a yugo budget.

Give me a coach that has won 4 conference titles in a row, has a down year, but his team is competitive and prepared, and he is optimistic about the future and I've got no problems.

DD getting fired wouldn't be about having a down year, but about his poor attitude.

You can NOT think about firing a coach after 1 losing season after he has brought you 4 straight conference championships!!!

We all have to admit that OUR expectations were VERY HIGH this year and we got our bubble popped and now we are screaming for the head of DD!!! This is like being all dressed, ready to go and being stood up for the prom. Happens.

Instead of the talk about 1 bad season in the last 4 and terminating DD we should focus our attention on what the TEAM will be like NEXT year!! Right now I am more interested what DD can do NEXT YEAR than what anomoly happened this year!!!

At the end of each of the last four years we had a lot of acolades for DD and one bad year .... you want to throw him under the bus. That is NOT too much LOYALTY to a man that has resurected the FB program. If you can not stand shoulder to shoulder with DD now, after 1 bad year, then your slurs are on YOUR FRAGILE "pride" and not the pride of the Mean Green FB Team, DD, RV and the University of North Texas.

Except for one year, we have ended the season with a loss in the NO Bowl. When you look at the big picture we really haven't improved much over the last four years. We are still getting beat when we should at least be putting up a better fight. I would be more impressed if we were playing aggressive football and avoiding all the penalties we seem to get.

Four league championships in the D1-A "dorkwad" division just doesn't excite me. Are we condemned to repeat this year after year with no improvement? Don't we have any higher ambitions? I think the fans do.......

You can NOT  think about firing a coach after 1 losing season after he has brought you 4 straight conference championships!!! 

We all have to admit that OUR expectations were VERY HIGH this year and we got our bubble popped and now we are screaming for the head of DD!!!  This is like being all dressed, ready to go and being stood up for the prom.  Happens.

Instead of the talk about 1 bad season in the last 4 and terminating DD we should focus our attention on what the TEAM will be like NEXT year!!  Right now I am more interested what DD can do NEXT YEAR than what anomoly happened this year!!!

At the end of each of the last four years we had a lot of acolades for DD and one bad year .... you want to throw him under the bus.  That is NOT too much LOYALTY to a man that has resurected the FB program.  If you can not stand shoulder to shoulder with DD now, after 1 bad year, then your slurs are on YOUR FRAGILE "pride" and not the pride of the Mean Green FB Team, DD, RV and the University of North Texas.

Ah, but many fans on this board are loyal not to DD, or any coach at our school, but to the university itself. See, we chose to go to North Texas, and paid good money to do so. Therefore, we have lots of pride in our institution and less faith in someone who's only here because he's being paid.

The reason so many on the board here (or at least myself and from what I can gather, others share my sentiments) are upset is because we DO have a lot of pride in our school and we're seeing it being run down. I'm proud of North Texas and I don't like it when anyone, much less a PAID employee of the university badmouths facilities, fans, or anything about my chosen alma mater. I haven't liked DD for years. It's a personal preference, but I think North Texas has more class and our players more ability than what has been shown on the field. And the reports I'm hearing about DD throwing in the towel just further infuriate me. DD has no pride in this university, and I think it's time he found a new place to gripe. I wish him well - just not here.

I see your elctro-indie and raise you pre-oi punk:

user posted image

Circle gets the square!

But, I don't see what either has to do with Allan Ward.

Well, it was the title of album that was directed towards NT80. I'm in the same boat, frustrated with the coach and this year, but it seems like people have serious anger issues when it comes to this football team. I get upset at games and sometimes even pissed off, but I let it go when I leave the stadium.