Bonfire for sure cancelled?

EagleChick03

There was a report in the NT Daily today that said it was cancelled.  I'm sort of glad.  That and the Yell like Hell thing seems like it was taken from A&M

There are numerous colleges and even high schools that have bonfires for their homecomings. Yell Like Hell is a spirit event, and you are glad it might be cancelled? Why do people think that everything spirit related at UNT is stolen from someone else?

We've had the UNT bonfire for like 60 years now. It is the 2nd largest hand-built bonfire second only to Virginia Tech, who spends a month building it. Ours is built in a week to a week and a half. Call it a rip off if you will, I say it is a deep tradition to UNT. Call it stupid if you want, but some I my favorite times at NT were the week I spent building it.

There was a report on it on channel 4 tonight about it. I'm glad the university finally started to let people in on the secret this week. I got a phone call from a university employee on Tuesday about a social event this saturday and she knew nothing about Bonfire being canceled. She said, "Well, I'll see you Friday night at bonfire". When I told her about it she said she had not seen or heard anything about Bonfire being canceled. Until today I was worried there would be people showing up friday night without knowing.

Bonfire is a long standing tradition at NT and one of the few left that someone from another university hasn't been able to kill yet. And of course, for whatever reason the university does a terrible job promoting it even though thousands look forward to it each year. There are some amazing images of it from the past that could be used for recruiting and promotions, but the event is rarely used for such and I will never understand why that is? Promoting North Texas seems to be such a strain for some people?

Rick

There are numerous colleges and even high schools that have bonfires for their homecomings. Yell Like Hell is a spirit event, and you are glad it might be cancelled? Why do people think that everything spirit related at UNT is stolen from someone else?

As an average undergraduate student, that's just the impression that I get. It is just what comes to my mind as a lifelong Texas resident having heard more than I care to regarding A&M traditions.

As an average undergraduate student, that's just the impression that I get.  It is just what comes to my mind as a lifelong Texas resident having heard more than I care to regarding A&M traditions.

That's more than likely because a&m is PROUD of what they have, or did have(bonfire wise) and still have(tradition wise) and promote the hell out of their traditions. As for personal impressions go, there still is time to break that AVERAGE problem and become more than AVERAGE and be part of the traditions your school of choice offers you.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

As an average undergraduate student, that's just the impression that I get.  It is just what comes to my mind as a lifelong Texas resident having heard more than I care to regarding A&M traditions.

Bonfire traditions, before sporting events and otherwise, go back hundreds of years. A&M's tradition is well known, but probably was not the first. I'm curious now. I'll have to look into it.

Bonfire traditions go far back to Celtic times before a big battle where some captured spies (or unfortunate passersbys) got a "warm" reception. The women would cheer the men on as they left for battle, usually topless, to inspire them and let them know what they would lose if they were defeated. sad.gif

Bonfire traditions, before sporting events and otherwise, go back hundreds of years.  A&M's tradition is well known, but probably was not the first.  I'm curious now.  I'll have to look into it.

From various college sites...

Big Game bonfires at Stanford date back to 1898. The practice was halted from 1976 through 1985 because of crowd control concerns and poor safety in construction practices (students were injured building the 1976 pyre). The bonfire was canceled in 1989 because of a lack of student funding.

Aggie Bonfire was first constructed in 1909, when a group of A&M cadets staged a pep rally to boost the spirits of their athletic teams. Other Aggie Bonfires followed, and over the years Aggie Bonfire became the most visible symbol of the school’s unique “Aggie Spirit.”

The origins of the Dartmouth Night fire trace back over a century. In 1888, students from all four classes built a bonfire of cordwood from the forests around the college to celebrate a baseball victory over Manchester, 34-0. The tradition as it relates to football dates back to 1893, when the first organized bonfire took place as students celebrated a football victory over Amherst College.

There's a ton of them, mostly during homecoming events. Princeton has a bonfire when they beat Yale and Harvard in the same season. Nobody seems to know when it started, but they have been playing each other since 1877.

Guest Aquila_Viridis

The women would cheer the men on as they left for battle, usually topless, to inspire them and let them know what they would lose if they were defeated.      sad.gif

They would lose their breasts?!