Blurb from football scoup, Neuheisel great coach

OldTimer

Temple University Head Football Coach Bobby Wallace today announced that he will not seek renewal of his contract at the conclusion of the 2005 season. Rick Neuheisel is a leading candidate

If I remember correctly he participated in gambling upon the advise from the schools personal in charge of compliance that it was legal.

Neuheisal was 33-14 at Colorado and 33-16 at Washington.

When was the last time that Temple had a winning season??? 15-20 years ago???

I think there is a difference on a player/sports coach wagering on a different sport that what he coaches/plays vs. let us say someone who bets on the same sport they play/coach kind of like Pete Rose who bet on baseball and a few other sports.

As far as turning the Temple program around???.........well, if some of the Florida schools can start a program from scratch or move up to D-1 in the last 3-4 years and have a successful program then Temple can be turned around.

GreenEddieNT--

Unfortunately, I am NOT on the "Get rid of DD Bandwagon." The reasons for that have been stated "um-teen times" on this board by me and others.

I will agree with you that Neuhiesel will be a benefit to any program that he ends up. His base salary at Washington was $997,000.

Unemployment may make him take less. What sort of pay cut do you think the prior Nebraska coach took when he got fired to go to the MAC ( cant remember if it was Ohio or Miami (OH))?

GreenEddieNT--

Unfortunately, I am NOT on the "Get rid of DD Bandwagon."  The reasons for that have been stated "um-teen times" on this board by me and others.

I will agree with you that Neuhiesel will be a benefit to any program that he ends up.  His base salary at Washington was $997,000. 

Unemployment may make him take less.  What sort of pay cut do you think the prior Nebraska coach took when he got fired to go to the MAC ( cant remember if it was Ohio or Miami (OH))?

oh I'm sure he'd take MUCH less for another chance. Probations, firing because he's a compulsive gambler, I can see us nabbing him for around 500k at most.

Neuheisel was fired for entering a march madness pool. Pales in comparison to what Miek Price did at Alabama.

I say ihe's worth a shot if DD somehow doesn't return next year. I think NT can offer a helluva lot more than Temple can at this moment. Temple will be an all out rebuild for whoever takes the coaching spot.

Edited by Got5onIt

Forget about getting a Coach in here that is going to make a Half Mill. It just aint gonna happen...we played on turf at Fouts that was about 8 years past its prime and only when our players started blowing out knees did we consider putting down new turf and then it took an act of GOD and Dr Pohl to get the dang thing approved. A Coach like Neuhesel (sp?) in Denton....i would love it....just isn't going to happen. NT best shot at any other Coach is to find either an Older Coach (Schnellenberger-FAU or Ross-Army) or a D-1 QB Coach, DL Coach, something of that magnatude. D-1 Coordinators, at big time schools make more than DD...

We have to get lucky like U of H did with their coach...straight out of 4A Stephenville...

Just a side note as a Huge DD supporter...i believe that DD is better that both coaches mentioned in this rant (Schnel and Ross), and at this time he is the best option we have.

I do also believe that it will be Darrell Dickey that forces North Texas to find a new coach not the other way around!!!!

Happy Hunting NT'ers, we may already have our best option at COACH!

I could see a big time coach coming here based on the idea he wants to build our program into something very special... not all coaches have aspirations of making the big bucks. Anything is possible.

BTW... 225,000 is plenty for a coach. The salaries in college and professional sports are so out on control its ridiculous.

Edited by ipEAGLE

Neuheisel was fired for entering a march madness pool. Pales in comparison to what Miek Price did at Alabama.

I say ihe's worth a shot if DD somehow doesn't return next year. I think NT can offer a helluva lot more than Temple can at this moment. Temple will be an all out rebuild for whoever takes the coaching spot.

---When Neuheisel left Colorado for Washington he left the Colorado program on probation for numerous NCAA violations.... I don't consider him an honest man.... The Washington gambling thing is no big deal really but it just shows some bad judgemment. Unfortunately coaches can leave a school on probation and no penalities are assesed to him and his staff,---that is the way the NCAA operates now.. Unforfunately penalities are assesed to the instituion and the players coming in are usually totally innocent but they pay for the problems of a former coaching staff. The coach and staff just walks and are free to continue their actions.

---Dave Bliss (basketball) was at SMU when they got the death penalty in football and nothing happened to him or the basketball program even most thought the basketball program was probably as corrupt. He later surfaced at Baylor and we know how that tuned out......He did not change.

---Price's situation was a personal and image problem if he wasn't using university money to finance his "activitiies". He wasn't cheating to win as happened at Colorado and SMU. Apparently much of what Price was accused of wasn't exactly true and not illegal in the courts or by the NCAA. It was just disgusting to many at the university.

---If a change is made , then there are good people out there that will run a clean program that doesn't have th outlaw image problem. Anyone want to hire Bliss for the basketball program??? He usually wins.......somehow....

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

Guest Aquila_Viridis

Forget about getting a Coach in here that is going to make a Half Mill.  It just aint gonna happen...we played on turf at Fouts that was about 8 years past its prime and only when our players started blowing out knees did we consider putting down new turf and then it took an act of GOD and Dr Pohl to get the dang thing approved.  A Coach like Neuhesel (sp?) in Denton....i would love it....just isn't going to happen. 

This is the kind of attitude that has to change. There is much about the past the needs to be left behind. Expect more from the administration and trustees and let them and your lawmakers know it.

The only reason this institution couldn't blossom would be low expectations. Those who are charged with the stewardship of the institution need to change their vision or there needs to be a change in stewardship. We have a lot to be thankful for in the work that HAS been done; nonetheless, we should expect a LOT more. Other schools and their supporters do.

If you resign yourself to living in a mediocre house, you will always live in a mediocre house. If you set your sights though on something grand, then you can do what it takes to make it happen. It certainly won't just happen by itself, but if you want it bad enough, you will do what it takes. I for one want to see this institution blossom even more than I want a grand house. DO YOU WANT IT?

This is the kind of attitude that has to change. There is much about the past the needs to be left behind. Expect more from the administration and trustees and let them and your lawmakers know it.

The only reason this institution couldn't blossom would be low expectations.  Those who are charged with the stewardship of the institution need to change their vision or there needs to be a change in stewardship. We have a lot to be thankful for in the work that HAS been done; nonetheless, we should expect a LOT more. Other schools and their supporters do.

If you resign yourself to living in a mediocre house, you will always live in a mediocre house. If you set your sights though on something grand, then you can do what it takes to make it happen. It certainly won't just happen by itself, but if you want it bad enough, you will do what it takes. I for one want to see this institution blossom even more than I want a grand house. DO YOU WANT IT?

Excellent Aquila!

We have to get lucky like U of H did with their coach...straight out of 4A Stephenville...

Art Briles left Stephenville for Texas Tech for an Asst Coaching position. I think he was there 2-3 years before moving on th Houston. For the record, I think Houston got a fine coach. His son, a standout QB for Stephenville, signed with Texas but transferred to Houston.

It would be worth $500K in instant media exposure, not to mention doubling season ticket sales the first year.  Just do it!  cool.gif

I think you would be right. How easy would it be for NT to market the team with Neuheisels record to use as a main selling point? I think more donors would come out if they see NT this serious about the football program.